Started on: 01-14-2011 11:25 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Uaana on 01-15-2011 04:29 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
First off - HOLY CRAP! It's been 20 years since Desert Storm?!?!
Yeah. Saturday marks 20 years since the start of Operation Desert Storm and the Gulf War.

Timeline of events: http://www.fox11online.com/...sert-storm-look-back

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8942467/

Saturday marks 20 years since the start of Desert Storm, the military effort to remove Iraqi troops from Kuwait.

It was a war with new technology and sparkling images shown nightly on TV. At the time, it seemed like a quick victory, but now, as American troops continue to fight in the region, Desert Storm seems like a long time ago.

Lt. Col. James "Chainsaw" McCullough, U.S. Air Force (Ret.), has vivid memories of the war. Just five minutes into Operation Desert storm, he was flying his F-15 E Strike Eagle into Iraq and dropping bombs.

“They never saw us coming,” he said. “I don’t forget any of it. I remember it all like it was yesterday.”

But it wasn't yesterday. It was nearly 20 years ago. McCullough retired as a Lt. Colonel.

“When we were in fighter training, we talked about the old Vietnam fighter pilots,” he said. “Well, that was in ’85 and Vietnam was only 10 years old. Now, as you look back and talk about the old guys from Desert Storm, that’s this bald guy right here.”

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
That was crazy times....I actually got called in for army duty even though I had been out for a couple years...wow, just think.

Not one fruking thing has changed in the mid-east in 20 years......whoda thunk ?

they cant solve it themselves in 5,000---and we cant do it in 20.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I can't even imagine the feelings of those Iraq soldiers watching a flock of Abrams coming at them firing on the fly.

Or the poor infantry guys seeing seeing the Warthog coming at them all lit up.

It must have been a truly frightening site.

And for all that effort and blood, look where we are. It is really too bad it couldn't do more to fix the problem.

My hat is still off, 20 years later to the best mechanized army in the world.

Arn
stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
Wow that explains why my daughter is nineteen already (& I’m - well old).
She is a post Desert Storm Baby Boom Baby.

Yup was mess then & still a mess today!

God Bless all who have served & are serving us today.

Edit: My 100th Post - Not to bad for a guy who is mostly a lurker! - I love this form as you Guy’s -n- Gal’s are GREAT! & helpful as well!!!
------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp, & 2006 Red Solstice 5-sp

[This message has been edited by stumpkin (edited 01-15-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

And for all that effort and blood, look where we are. It is really too bad it couldn't do more to fix the problem.

I was one of the people who complained we didn't "finish the job" at the end of Desert Storm even though I knew that wasn't the mission. The mission was to liberate Kuwait, and that was done, and Kuwait hasn't been threatened by Iraq since.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Ya. went in with TF Ripper.
I'm good on my man card for life.

Clearing holes sucks regardless of which war.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock