Started on: 01-13-2011 04:05 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: jaskispyder on 01-13-2011 09:14 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I just read that the JFK presidential library just went digital. Nice idea for students and history buffs, but who pays for all these presidential libraries?

US as in the people?
Or the president?

http://apnews.excite.com/ar...10113/D9KNLQU00.html

The access for those who want to see.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/

But who builds these things and pays for them?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Rich People, "Private Partners", and maybe a few million from the people. Thats my guess.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
As I understand.. We the tax payers pay for it. Every President get a Library. Even W who could barely read.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I think its mostly donations by people and private companies. Perhaps the presidential estate too, after they are gone.

I do hope they retain the original artifacts. Cant replace holding a real document in your hand with viewing it on your ipad.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 01-13-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by 8Ball:

As I understand.. We the tax payers pay for it. Every President get a Library. Even W who could barely read.

Gotta love politics.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
it is a combination of donations and tax money....

for the W comment... I wonder if Obama's library will be centered on the teleprompter?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Who pays for a presidential library?
Both private citizens and taxpayers. Before any bricks get laid, a private foundation is created to raise the money for the both the building and an endowment to run special programs and exhibits. In order to keep former presidents from erecting another Great Pyramid in their honor, the government requires that the bigger the square footage, the bigger the endowment. Once the building is dedicated, the library is turned over to the National Archives and Records Administration, which runs it, paying for both the staff, such as a director and archivists--who are federal employees--and much of the maintenance.

http://www.slate.com/id/1006894/

I guess I should have Googled.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

for the W comment... I wonder if Obama's library will be centered on the teleprompter?

At least Obama can READ the teleprompter and PRONOUNCE the English words that are upon it. Find me a president since Reagan that has NOT used a teleprompter.

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 01-13-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I just read that the JFK presidential library just went digital. Nice idea for students and history buffs, but who pays for all these presidential libraries?

US as in the people?
Or the president?

http://apnews.excite.com/ar...10113/D9KNLQU00.html

The access for those who want to see.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/

But who builds these things and pays for them?

Steve

I think a certain amount of money is reserved by the Federal government to support them. Honestly, I think it's a good thing because the history of our presidents are important. I think, like a presidential burial, the presidents are entitled to a "library." Most of the funding comes from private donations though...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Private partners - including AT&T, EMC Corp., Raytheon Co. and Iron Mountain Corp. - contributed $6.5 million in equipment and technical services to digitize thousands of records. Iron Mountain will store backup copies of all the digital files about 200 feet below ground at its facility in western Pennsylvania

http://www.valleynewslive.c...story.asp?S=13837843
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-13-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

http://www.valleynewslive.c...story.asp?S=13837843

That makes me feel better
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Remember when:

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Or Slick Willie's around the blue dress.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I can help you out. I work for the Clinton Presidential Library, a part of the Presidential Library system which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The Kennedy Library is also a part of the Presidential Library system.

It's somewhat of a very bureaucratic process by which the Presidential Libraries are built. Portions of the libraries are upheld (and usually constructed) by the President's foundation or organization. That's the "exhibit" side that "normal" people see. The actual "good" stuff (i.e., documents, records, artifacts given to the President) are actually held by NARA. Yes tax dollars do hold the Presidential Library system together. However, you should know that the NL side of NARA (as the Presidential Library system is known) is one of the more underfunded sections of the National Archives, and requires all sorts of means by which to keep them running as they do. The focus of archives is more on the constant influx of state and federal documents that continuously come into the archives every minute. As a Presidential Library however, Clinton's records are done (any new record he creates post-Presidency is held by his Foundation. We don't handle that kind of material).

However, you should know that as an employee of NARA I do not work at the Clinton Presidential Library primarily because of political means. My job is more of the historical aspect of Clinton's Presidency and that of the Presidency of the United States in general. And unfortunately as a Federal Gov't employee I suffer from the recent problems and potential legislation changes that could affect Federal workers, despite the fact that I am part of an intricate process that sees that the records of a former United States President is preserved for generations.

However, "Crap" is one word you probably should not use when describing the way the Presidential Libraries work. For one, when you think about it the Presidential Libraries are the absolute best primary source material you can possibly obtain - and as a U.S. citizen you very much have every right to research at them (of course, for some stuff you may have to file Freedom of Information Acts, but you still very much have the ability, AND RIGHT, to conduct your own research). Additionally, digital media is a tremendous concern, and for good reason. I work in the audio/visual section of the Clinton Archives, and honestly we will never fully digitize the entire photographic and video collection in my span of work before retirement. It's a fate I've accepted. It's kind of a sad thing to think about, but what occurs is that once you've digitized one project, the digitization it was placed in becomes outdated or insufficient. Additionally, the 90's was a horrendous time period for digital media. Believe it or not, those multitudes of 3 1/2" floppys that were around in the 90's - we can't read. They're outdated. They're also a serious virus risk to new computers and systems. It's additionally sad because there is a high potential of seriously instructive media. I personally have estimated that to digitize the entire collection of Clinton's Presidential videos in the highest digital format (which is what is required) possible, it would AT LEAST require 500 TB. Yes, five hundred terabytes. And that's a very conservative estimate. Obviously it just won't happen for some time.

I think one thing people need to get out of their heads when they think of these institutions is on the face they may be a machine by which to promote a political agenda. However, at their root they are perhaps the most un-modified (as everything contained is original) source of knowledge about our Government that one could obtain. Be glad they are here, believe me.

EDIT: And sorry. Not meaning to sound like I'm attacking or anything. It just does irk me when people, whom do not realize how great of an educational tool the Presidential Libraries are, do not take them seriously. I do. It's one of the reasons why I work for the National Archives. I would work at any Presidential Library regardless of President if it meant preserving the records of our highest office for my great great great grandchildren to one day see.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 01-13-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Thank you for the info, Fiero84Freak!
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
A couple of months ago I went to Lincoln's Library and Museum in my home-town of Springfield, IL. There was an admission fee and it was well worth every penny.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Too funny.... Obama without teleprompter.... "ah... uh... hmm... ah.... well... hmmm....uh.... yeah...."

The problem with Obama is that is needs a teleprompter to be able to talk.... The first president that has to rely on such aids to this extreme. Or to put it into the words of Obama.... "ah....uh...um"

Originally posted by 8Ball:

At least Obama can READ the teleprompter and PRONOUNCE the English words that are upon it. Find me a president since Reagan that has NOT used a teleprompter.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock