Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  I feel so bad for my daughter.... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I feel so bad for my daughter.... by fierogirls-mom
Started on: 01-13-2011 02:19 PM
Replies: 78
Last post by: frontal lobe on 01-27-2011 12:05 PM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Hope she is ok and ADT makes you a settlement. On a lighter note.......I bet Pontiackid86 will be glad sell you his Solstice
IP: Logged
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
As everyone else has said, I'm glad to hear that she's okay, Darlene. That's all that really matters. I wrecked my dream car after a week of ownership. Wasn't even my fault...a woman ran me off of the interstate. I was livid...but I got over it. Michelle will, too.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Hope she is ok and ADT makes you a settlement. On a lighter note.......I bet Pontiackid86 will be glad sell you his Solstice

Lol shed be downgrading going from a GXP to an 06. Not to mention mine is an odd car. Fully optioned luxury wise but no ABS no TCS and no air pump.. BOO

Im glad shes ok. She'll be fine. With the prices these things are going for and being hit by a ADT van. she should get enough to go out and get a GXP hardtop.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
If she dosent mind downgrading to a non turbo model the dealership where i bought my car has a beautiful red 08 with about 15K on it. fully loaded with everything except the turbo.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I as well hope everything turns out well.

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

If she dosent mind downgrading to a non turbo model the dealership where i bought my car has a beautiful red 08 with about 15K on it. fully loaded with everything except the turbo.

No way, Turbo or Bust!
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2011 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
I don't see why everyone is so eager to see ADT have to reach any deeper into their pockets then anyone else who might have hit her. Insurance is to make you whole again, not to improve your situation from before the accident.

Glad your daughter is ok.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
sorry about the car and hope your daughter feels better. dam snow and jersey drivers. i was one of those them jersey drivers. lots of rest and ice.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

I don't see why everyone is so eager to see ADT have to reach any deeper into their pockets then anyone else who might have hit her. Insurance is to make you whole again, not to improve your situation from before the accident.

If it was dude to the drivers neglect for the situation than she should be fairly compensated for it.

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
As a fellow Solstice owner I feel your pain! However, the bottom has REALLY dropped on used Solstice prices.
I wouldnt doubt she can get more $$ from insurance than she would had she sold the car outright!

fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, wow, thanks for your support. I know it's just a car, she knows it's just a car, but it was her baby.

Docs at the ER said she was fine, I'm sure she might have a few aches, but fine none the less.

We will see what happens when the insurance company comes a lookin, then she'll go from there. And I figured PK would be brought up, but for her, it's turbo or bust so PK's car wouldn't do it for her. Her boyfriend who works at a car dealershiip was already looking up cars. He said "how about a G-8, she said only if it's a GXP, like she could afford that. lol She's feeling okay!

As for you Jeff, she's not the type to go trying to get money from them. The driver of the van tried to put the blame on her, told the cop she was sliding all over the place and hit him. He took one look at where the cars were and the skid marks and gave him a ticket. She just hopes if they do total it, it will cover her loan plus the upgrades she did to it.

And Tony, glad to hear you are doing better, you must stay alive so you can get these kind of text pictures from your son!! The joys of being a parent!!! Just picture, no explaination or a captions saying they are alright.

Forgot to tell you about the air bag, she said the car said "Deploy Airbag" like it was asking a question, but it never went off.

[This message has been edited by fierogirls-mom (edited 01-14-2011).]

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Glad she is OK,

If it were me, I would be hoping for a total as well. That car, if fixed will look great, but will never be the same. I hope she finds another car that will put a smile on her face like this one.

Mark
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DtheC:

Sorry to hear, glad she's OK.
Have to be the first one to say, "That will buff right out."
I know it won't, but I'm just wanting to be the first.

We're all glad she's OK. I also agree with Stimpy, insurance is to make you whole again, not to make you better than you were before.

As far as being the first to say that'll buff right out, look again. You're # 2.

Ron
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogirls-mom:

The driver of the van tried to put the blame on her, told the cop she was sliding all over the place and hit him.

That right there deserves an a$$ kicking. Willing to bet the A-hole was lieing because he was already in a few accidents from his poor driving skills and ready to be fired because of it. Hope this moron losses his job and is disqualified for un-employment because of his actions, it will be a deserving lession if he is capable of learning which I doubt from the way he acted.
At least the important part of the ordeal is done, your daughter was cleared by the doctors and is OK.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Hope she got up this morning and feels good. If she's sore she needs to get checked out.

The driver of the van tried to put the blame on her, told the cop she was sliding all over the place and hit him. He took one look at where the cars were and the skid marks and gave him a ticket.

Kinda hard to lie when the truth is in the snow!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dar,
I'm happy that your daughter is okay. Sucks that she has to share the road with idiots, but it could have been much worse.
Sorry about her "baby". I understand completely.

...she's not the type to go trying to get money from them. The driver of the van tried to put the blame on her, told the cop she was sliding all over the place and hit him. He took one look at where the cars were and the skid marks and gave him a ticket...

I agree that insurance is designed to make one "whole" again, but hairballs like this guy are what makes people want a bit of additional payback.
Not that it's right. Just that it "is".

Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Except they almost never "make you whole" totally. They always try to lowball you, drag their feet and hope you'll settle, and generally try to minimize reimbursement to you at every turn. My wife had an accident about 3 years ago. We had to fight to get the ins co to accept blame, even though it was obvious, their client ran the red light & hit 3 cars. They kept claiming that they couldn't get in contact with their client. Then we had to fight them to get a rental, which wound up being a Honda Civic, our vehicle was a Lexus. Then fight with them to get OEM body panels. The repair took a week longer than the original estimate, and we had to fight to get them to pay for the rental car for the extra week (that took months). During the time they refused to get us a rental, my wife had to drive my 5 speed Fiero, and she has bad knees. After all the hassle and time lost, they came WAY short of "making us whole" again.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

If it was dude to the drivers neglect for the situation than she should be fairly compensated for it.

"Fairly compensated" does not mean turning a profit. Just because deep pockets did the hitting doesn't mean that you get to dig any deeper to fix the car.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
interesting... as for the insurance... they will pay out as little as possible. It doesn't matter who was at fault or anything like that. If the other driver was at fault, then one insurance company will just pay the other. If need be, the insurance company will go after the driver for a judgment (but being a company vehicle, I don't think this will happen).

Depending on the damage, they may just total it... If so, they will pay out market value to the owner and sell the old car at auction.
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Just talked to my daughter. She's feeling a bit sore today, and can't move her neck to the right. She already has a rental to drive, it's a Hyundai Tiberon GT. I'm shocked she wanted to drive a foreign car! lol So the ball is rolling, her commander made her go to the base doctors too, so she sat there for an hour to get checked out. So far so good. They did do an MRI on her foot (it was smashed a few months ago by an engine cart when she was loading it on the plane) She was happy to hear that it's getting checked out, it still hurts her. The cart was 19,000 pounds....

Thanks again for all the posts and concerns. Love you guys!!

[This message has been edited by fierogirls-mom (edited 01-15-2011).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Dar can you keep us updated on how it goes with the insurance. Having been on the same side of an accident I can tell you nothing will make up for the crap the insurance company put me through.
From day one they started screwing me over. It also took way longer to settle because I had to fight them over every penny, they wanted to give me $800 for my car. So at least she has a newer car so they cant fight about what its worth too much. Its all of the updates that she did that will be hard to prove.

Its been 5 years and I still have flash back of the ass hat that hit me, I still don't like people getting too close to me in traffic and I cant help but pucker up every time someone has to stop behind me at a light.
You can never make that up or make it better. Money just wont do it.

If I had my way they would buy her a new car and give her the old one back and after kissing her feet and thanking her for serving and protecting their dumb ass so they can still live in relatively free country they would shower her with money to make the pain and fear go away. I cant stand someone that cant take responsibility for their actions, they should have to pay for it.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

"Fairly compensated" does not mean turning a profit. Just because deep pockets did the hitting doesn't mean that you get to dig any deeper to fix the car.

If its due to an employees neglect than it should be profited.
PFF
System Bot
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

I too am glad the daughter is ok. While I have never been in even a remote seriously accident, I would imagine it could be something that could scar you physically and mentally. I was a personal driver for a while and have several customers who could no longer drive because they were just to scared after having been in an accident. I had one girl that used to actually start to curl up into a fetal position whenever you passed a large vehicle/truck etc. After having me drive her around she got a lot better, but never could drive again herself.

Now with the insurance company? Well they exist solely to make $ off YOU, and when something does finally happen and they have to pay you. They are basically paying you with your own money that you paid for so many years. Then they want to give you as little back as possible, and will often fight you really hard to do so.

Yes they should improve your situation from before the accident, most people spend many many years improving the insurance companies situation. (making them rich).

fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Sure will Jake! She has USAA for her insurance, same as us and they are great. Told her to go get a rental car, and she can have it for as long as needed. I guess the closest insurance adjuster for them is in Norfolk, so it might be a few days for him/her to come look at the thing.

I remember when I got nailed by the piece of plywood that decided to fly off the roadway on 95. Still to this day, if something is flying at me (even if it is a piece of paper or something little) I wince a bit. I saw that plywood lift, couldn't go anywhere and thought my god it's going to come through the windshield. Still freaks me out, so I know a bit of what you are going through Jake.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Glad here also that she is ok. Sad here also that the car is not, .
As far as dealing with and getting screwed over by the other insurance company, that's why I have full coverage (as I suspect she does). My insurance company (also USAA) will make me whole and the other insurance company will have to settle with them.
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gecko:
with the insurance company? Well they exist solely to make $ off YOU, and when something does finally happen and they have to pay you. They are basically paying you with your own money that you paid for so many years. Then they want to give you as little back as possible, and will often fight you really hard to do so.

Yes they should improve your situation from before the accident, most people spend many many years improving the insurance companies situation. (making them rich).

Hi Gecko,

I've been telling Don for years that insurance is a racquet. I hope you're doing well now. I don't get on here much anymore. Always busy. Take care.

Jane

------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Update, the car is totaled. They towed it to a salvage yard in Bridgeton PA and the adjuster checked it out on Thursday. He didn't have the keys to get into the car, the towing company never gave him them, but from what he saw body part wise, frame damage, engine sitting cockeyed, it's totaled. The total loss guy will be calling her on Monday (hopefully because she will be TDY for 6 weeks on Tuesday) I told her to fight it out with him over the new GM parts she put on the car.

I'll keep you posted Jake, I know you were curious.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Update, the car is totaled. They towed it to a salvage yard in Bridgeton PA and the adjuster checked it out on Thursday. He didn't have the keys to get into the car, the towing company never gave him them, but from what he saw body part wise, frame damage, engine sitting cockeyed, it's totaled. The total loss guy will be calling her on Monday (hopefully because she will be TDY for 6 weeks on Tuesday) I told her to fight it out with him over the new GM parts she put on the car.

I'll keep you posted Jake, I know you were curious.

Thats good news for her, now if they give her what she needs to get a car to replace it.
I wish her good luck and hope they don't jerk her around too bad. I know I had to throw out the lawyer word a couple of times before I got a settlement.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Have her have the receipts from all the upgrades handy. They might pull a time limit on her but if they go that route she can throw the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act at them.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 01-22-2011).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Have her have the receipts from all the upgrades handy. They might pull a time limit on her but if they go that route she can throw the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act at them.

No one should feel bad about talking with a professional. I wish I would have talked to a lawyer so I didn't get taken advantage of.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear everything is working out Dar, and that she's ok.

Has she considered going (or sending someone) to pull the new upgrade parts off the car? She still technically owns the car until she has to surrender the title to the insurance company, so technically she could go to the scrapyard and pull them for the new car. At least that's always been how things worked for me anyway after an accident. The towing co usually lets you pull things out of the car after an accident...

Just a thought The parts are rightfully hers after all. Or call the scrapyard after the ins company takes the title, and buy the stuff back for next to nothing
phreakboy4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phreakboy4Send a Private Message to phreakboy4Direct Link to This Post
Just make her aware that it is her decision as to when the car leaves the tow yard. So what she needs to do is make the insurance company and the tow yard aware that you will not release the car until the check is in her hands. The insurance company will try to remove the car from there as quick as possible because generally it is costing them $50 a day and to give them the upper hand. Once they have the car they will try to lowball her as much as possible but if they know right from the door that the car will not leave until she says its ok, generally they will play a little more fair. They also have to legally give her the option to buy the car back, so if her upgrades are salvageable than this will be her best option since generally they will sell the car back rather cheap, generally less than $500. Just make sure that she has the check in hand also that way they can not tell her one amount and change it when the check comes.(quite common)
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
The car belongs to her, have it towed to your property.
It will make it easier to come to a deal on the remains.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I've had USAA Insurance for about thirty years, they will take care of their client for the most part. They are the best insurance company out there IMO. But, just like all insurance companies, they use the same value books and rules.

The last time I had to deal with them in an accident scenerio, I had the car towed to my home and it sat there until everything was settled so, they didn't have to pay anyone storage fees. Worked out far better for me. BTW, USAA wasn't the company paying the bill but, they did go to bat for me.

Glad yer baby girl is doing OK, tell her we all said howdy and thank her for her service.

Ron
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

She did get a call from the total loss adjuster. They won't give her the money for the parts but told her to go and pull them off the car. So, that's what she will do. She will be getting enough from them to cover what she owes on the car and a bit extra. So she's happy about that. Now she just wants to find another one to her liking. Her dad found an "09 same color as the one she had with all the options she wants and it only has 100 miles on it. It's about $8,000 less than the brand new ones sitting on the lots (yeah they still have some sitting out there) So maybe she will end up with a newer car with less miles on it for the same car payment as she had before. She's kinda bummed she's flying on Tuesday because even though she owns 2 cars now, she depended on the Soltice a lot. Driving a '69 Firebird in the snow is not a good thing. lol But with her doing a stage (flying in and out of Afghanistan) for the next 6 weeks she should get a decent per-diem check. So there's some extra money to slap on a down payment.

Thanks again for all the replies! It's very much appreciated!!

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Dar, Glad things are working out for her.

Ron
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Excellent Dar, Glad things are working out for her.

Ron

Thanks Ron! I'm happy for her that she didn't get toasted on the deal.
Since when did you become a Steelers fan??
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Since when did you become a Steelers fan??

Well, it's not like the Chiefs are playing now is it. Besides, I waged a DQ Blizzard on the game and if anyone thinks I don't take that bet serious, they don't know me.

Actually, the Steelers are one of my more preferred teams. The Packer's also qualify in that area but, when there's a Blizzard on the line, I've got to go with the better team unless someone wants to spot me some points. Blizzard betting is serious business. Now if I could just whip that Lactose Intolerence problem, things would be great.

Be sure to post pics of the girl's new ride. Would love to have a Solstice but, I don't think I fit.

------------------
Ron

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Driving a '69 Firebird in the snow is not a good thing. lol

Get a set of snow tires on that 'Bird asap! Put them on cheapo steelies to save money.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Now if I could just whip that Lactose Intolerence problem, things would be great.

I would tell you to take 3 lact-aid tablets with your blizzard, but since you are taking the Steelers over my Packers, I'm not going to give you any tips.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock