Started on: 01-13-2011 10:14 AM
Replies: 39
Last post by: Flamberge on 01-14-2011 07:14 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
http://www.rockaaa.com/news...s-after-release-1821

That silly homosexual got his own jet airplane..
That silly homosexual he's a millionair.....

Now it seems that silly homosexual is a whiney crybaby with political clout.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Where can I file my complaint for Hanson and Jonas Brothers?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...here we go, now all artists are going to have to rewite all their songs lest they offend some little special interest group.

Follows the same lines of them releasing a new version of Huck Finn that removes the n word as it is offensive.

...while there are at it, they should rewrite the history books to removed all the offensive things that have happened in the past and burn all those politically incorrect TV shows like Archie Bunker (never mind motion pictures)...
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
We've gone past stupid to just plain pathetic. The song is 25 years old, the several gays I know love the song, and I don't think the word "homosexual" is meant as a derogatory reference to gays specifically in this instance, it's more intended to identify weakness or lack of masculinity as compared to the lead cartoon character in the video. I suppose they could have said pansy or fop or some other generic reference to weakness.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Some PC police rewrote Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn because of the n word in the original version. This makes me wonder how many various pieces of liturature have been rewritten because of censorship or translation misinterpretations.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Some PC police rewrote Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn because of the n word in the original version. This makes me wonder how many various pieces of liturature have been rewritten because of censorship or translation misinterpretations.

The Bible. Don't hurt me.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

As a side note, the band Dire Straits (or their record company) apperantly thought so to, because their Best of album has that verse edited out. (Dire Straits is my favorite band, btw, though I prefer Brothers in Arms, Romeo & Juliet, and Sultans of Swing to Money for Nothing.)

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

As a side note, the band Dire Straits (or their record company) apperantly thought so to, because their Best of album has that verse edited out. (Dire Straits is my favorite band, btw, though I prefer Brothers in Arms, Romeo & Juliet, and Sultans of Swing to Money for Nothing.)

The record company, and Dire Straits has been quoted as saying that is a part of the song, a story about a "stupid" guy that things musicians don't have to work. He didn't want it removed.

Taking it out was because of pressure, and all it does is give straight people another reason to hate gays.

Brad
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hmm maybe I could start complaining and get 99.999% of rap music banned from being played...

Its just garbage polluting the airwaves anyways
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
They've been editing songs for radio as long as I can remember, can't say it bothers me too much. It would bother me if I was unable to obtain the original.

Wasn't it onluy a few years ago the Black Eyed Peas song was changed from "Let's get retarded" to "Let's get it started"... Who cares?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Right, eventually we wont even know what reality is, as even the history books are redone to avoid offending someone.
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
banned? in what way? you cannot buy the album which contains that song - or just not play it on broadcast radio?

I dont think radio should be allowed to play "radio editted" versions of songs. if the songs are "inappropriate" for airplay - then they should not be advertised as "OK". the songs are what they are.

and - them lyrics are actual things said by real workers, who "install microwave ovens", etc., if canada dont like what they had to say, why not ban them as well?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Wow, one single person, that's all it took, unbelievable.

You watch, karma is coming for that person. It would be total irony if that person got busted by the RIAA for illegally downloading that song for free to his computer.

- - - - jetman ducks and covers - - - -
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

The record company, and Dire Straits has been quoted as saying that is a part of the song, a story about a "stupid" guy that things musicians don't have to work. He didn't want it removed.

Taking it out was because of pressure, and all it does is give straight people another reason to hate gays.

Brad

Even having to explain why its there is wrong. Don't like the words, don't listen to them.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Wasn't it onluy a few years ago the Black Eyed Peas song was changed from "Let's get retarded" to "Let's get it started"... Who cares?

The funny thing is 95% of the populace doesn't know that "lets get retarded" was the uncensored version of the song...
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-13-2011 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

Wow, one single person, that's all it took, unbelievable.

You watch, karma is coming for that person. It would be total irony if that person got busted by the RIAA for illegally downloading that song for free to his computer.

- - - - jetman ducks and covers - - - -

his karma doesn't help the rest of us.
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
When the Rolling Stones appeared on Ed Sullivan they had to change "Let's Spend the Night Together" to "Lets Spend the Evening Together". When the Doors appeared on Ed Sullivan they were told to change the word "higher" in "Light My Fire" to something else, because of thr drug inference. Jim Morrison agreed to the change then went on stage (and on air live) and sang "higher" anyway, they were banned from the Ed Sullivan Show forever.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I wonder if I can filed a complaint on behalf of black Canadians and request that all songs with the N - word in the be likewise banned from the radio. This would remove most of the gang banger crap from the airwaves!
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Why can't we just ban stupid people?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Why can't we just ban stupid people?

Thats called "executions" and seems to be frowned upon...dunno why......probably because it would cause a loss of about 90% of the population.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
If they banned Money For Nothing in the US we wouldnt have any government.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Song of the South
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

No 1st Ammendement? Eh?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

The last Huck Finn I read must have been uncensored. Personally, I was shocked and eventually gave up reading it in part to the offensive N-word. Yes, I do understand Mark Twain as I grew up within 2 hours of Hannibal, MO and his time period. It's just that I wasn't living in that time period. I'd have enjoyed the rewritten version much more. Then again, I walked out of an Eddie Murphey movie(the one he was on-stage doing his stand-up) because it was so vulgar.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by carnut122:

The last Huck Finn I read must have been uncensored. Personally, I was shocked and eventually gave up reading it in part to the offensive N-word. Yes, I do understand Mark Twain(as I grew up within 2 hours of Hannibal, MO) and his time period. It's just that I wasn't living in that time period. I'd have enjoyed the rewritten version much more. Then again, I walked out of an Eddie Murphey movie(the one he was on-stage doing his stand-up) because it was so vulgar.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Yes, I do understand Mark Twain as I grew up within 2 hours of Hannibal, MO and his time period. It's just that I wasn't living in that time period.

If you dont like what was written in that time period, what the hell are you doing reading it ??
or are you delusional enough to think the past will re-write itself to meet your politically-correct standards?

I like Mr. Twains works as he wrote them...anybody that dont, is free not to read them.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-13-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Does it bother anyone when they edit movies for TV? Seems like the same kind of deal to me.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 01-13-2011).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Here ya go , Live At Knebworth w/ Eric Clapton also
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Is this song banned in Canada too? I was never a big Lennon fan, and first heard of this song last night in a John Lennon special on PBS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik..._Nigger_of_the_World
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
An odd one I remember the old song “My Boomerang Won't Come Back" by Charlie Drake. The song has a repeated line that says “practiced till I was black in the face”. "Black" was changed to "blue" on the version played by some southern radio stations in 61-62.

Here’s the original, can't find a copy of the altered one:

edit: Found a note in Songfacts.com about the second version but it doesn't state the reason http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9391

In the original version of this song, the refrain was "Practiced till I was black in the face, I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race." This was altered on later pressings to "Practiced till I was blue in the face."

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 01-13-2011).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Man thats a great dire straits song.
PFF
System Bot
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Song of the South

I saw this in the theater, I thought it was great. I'd love to watch it again.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2011 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Does it bother anyone when they edit movies for TV? Seems like the same kind of deal to me.

Actually--ya it does.....

If I've seen the "full version" at one time, then later watch an edited version-- I feel like I've been ripped of on content, plus I get pissed that somebody else is deciding what I can and cant watch/ hear.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
It is no surprise that people of today don't actually THINK THROUGH the issue, and just react emotionally.

Because if you THINK about it, words carry different INFERENCE, and different WEIGHT or INTENSITY at different times in history.

So, sure, homosexual is offensive. But 25 years ago there wasn't the DEGREE of insult behind it (largely because people have decided to be much more offended more easily in 2011).

The N word, which I shouldn't even have to refer to as the N word, but I have to due to the societal vitriole at the mere MENTION of the word, was always offensive, to be sure. But it didn't carry the weight and inference in Mark Twain's time, (and indeed even 60 years ago) that it does now.
Unfortunately, people of today examine the original artists and writers by the standards of today, compared to the standards of the day in which the book or song was written. Instead of trying to actually THINK about that (which would require actual use of your brain. People should try it sometime.), the people of today (not all. but a lot) just emotionally react.

Funny how the liberal people think nothing of their forms of censorship, and criticize conservative people for censorship.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2011 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Seems a bit of a coincidence, that Elton John has just become a 'father' (BLECHHHHH), and this has happened at the same time? Because, I have had it on good authority for MANY YEARS, that E J was, in fact, the ' little homosexual' in the song. ( The little homosexual with the ear ring and the make-up ,yeah buddy, that's his own hair...)...a reference to Elton John spending thousands and thousands on hair-weaving, because he was going bald.

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-14-2011).]

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
There is only one. http://www.youtube.com/watc...9hZU&feature=related

I am getting mighty tired of the pansy ass homosexuals...

[This message has been edited by billpapps (edited 01-14-2011).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
No Way, Eh! Canadian Station Defies 'Money For Nothing' Ban
http://www.foxnews.com/ente...y-ban/#ixzz1B1hu4uFM

Starting at 8pm Friday night, the Edmonton, Canada classic rock radio station K97 will play the recently banned Dire Straits hit, “Money for Nothing,” nonstop and unedited for an hour in protest of a Canadian regulator’s decision to ban the original version of the song, first released in 1985, because it contains the word "fa---t.."

“We’re not afraid of repercussions. We have never had a complaint in the 25 years we have played the song,” K97 Music Director Todd James told FOX411. “We will play it in its entirety and unedited as we have always done and if someone wants to file a complaint we will take it from there."

But K97 may be alone.

Most Canadian radio stations that play rock music have been bombarded with phone calls from listeners unhappy about the ban of the quarter-century old Dire Straits hit— still, despite the many complaints, the majority of stations don’t plan to break the rules and broadcast the forbidden tune like the Edmonton station.

“The audience reaction is ‘Are you kidding me?’ There is a lot of disbelief. This song was a major hit and we have played it a billion times on the radio and we never even thought it was an issue until the ruling came out,” David Farough, Vice President of Brands and Programming for Corus Entertainment, which owns and operates 52 radio stations from Toronto to Vancouver told FOX411.

“The CBSC does some very good things, but they don’t always make the best decisions,” Farough said.

Music directors and DJs from Corus stations manned the phones all day Thursday and directed angry listeners to call the CBSC and complain. But Farough said that his stations will not buck the ruling like K97 and play the banned version. Some of Corus’ classic rock stations are going in another direction and plan to stop playing the Dire Straits hit altogether instead of playing the edit.

“It has become a credibility issue,” Farough says. “Sometimes it is better not to play the song. We are leaving it up to the individual markets.”

“Money for Nothing”, written by Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler and famed rock star Sting, neither of whom returned queries from FOX411 by deadline, is a satire of the boom of MTV rock stars in the eighties. It is written from the perspective of a blue collar worker who, when jealous and ticked off, refers to the rockers as the offensive f-word.

An offended listener complained to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council last year about the song’s inclusion of the homosexual slur, and on Wednesday the CBSC ruled that the use of the gay slur breaches the national broadcast authority’s code of ethics. The CBSC ruled that the song can be played on the radio in an edited form without the slur.

The CBSC ruling panel said that even though the song has been accepted for the past 25 years it does not mean that its lyrics are acceptable today.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation which protects the rights of gay and lesbian individuals here in the United States told FOX411 they don’t make it a practice to comment on Canadian issues, but Helen Kennedy, executive director of the Canadian gay-rights group Egale championed the decision to Canada’s Globe and Mail.

“It’s the word that is used most often in hate crimes motivated by sexual orientation, which we know are the most violent, against gay men,” Kennedy said.

The unprecedented ban raises concerns about other golden oldies with lyrics that would be offensive to politically correct modern ears, like Bob Dylan’s use of the n-word in the song "Hurricane" or maybe even Bruce Springsteen’s “yellow man” in “Born in the USA.”

The sudden crackdown on “Money for Nothing” has freedom of speech advocates concerned that this week’s ruling represents a slippery slope for any song that could be interpreted as offensive in hindsight.

“It is concerning that the CBSC has focused on one word rather than what this song is about,” Cara Zwibel, director of the Fundamental Freedoms program at the Canadian Civil Liberties Association told Fox411. “I hope we won’t head down a slippery slope, because this opens so much up to question since there are many songs people could consider offensive. We think there needs to be a wide space for artistic expression.”

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Satire is lost on the stupid. The song is written in the voice of an ignorant man.
I don't think anyone here is, but If you are sticking up for use of the word "homosexual" in this song, you are a walking irony.
The same goes for Twain and Tom Sawyer. Portraying bad behavior is not the same as endorsing it.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grandaddy84SE:

When the Rolling Stones appeared on Ed Sullivan they had to change "Let's Spend the Night Together" to "Lets Spend the Evening Together".

There's a line in the Stones' "Satisfaction" that had to be changed for 60's US airplay...."trying to MAKE some girl" to "trying to DATE some girl." It was left as-is on the album release though and a lot of DJ's at the time just played the album version to get around it.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Satire is lost on the stupid. The song is written in the voice of an ignorant man.
I don't think anyone here is, but If you are sticking up for use of the word "homosexual" in this song, you are a walking irony.
The same goes for Twain and Tom Sawyer. Portraying bad behavior is not the same as endorsing it.

Excellent point, and true as the day is long. But try to make someone who is emotionally wrapped up in their offended point of view understand and no amount of rational conversation in the world will reach them. It doesn't work that way anymore, unfortunately. Reason has left us for the stars, and we are alone with ourselves.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock