Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Garage lighting... looking for supplies (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Garage lighting... looking for supplies by jaskispyder
Started on: 01-11-2011 08:22 AM
Replies: 40
Last post by: jaskispyder on 01-13-2011 02:21 PM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I want to add more lighting to my garage. I am thinking about adding about 40-50 ceiling light outlets ... 8-10 lights per rafter and 5 rafters. This sounds like a lot, but I will be using 25W CFLs.... I have the standard 8' height in the garage, but no ceiling. Rafters are about 4 ft apart. I tried using 4' fluro. tube lighting, but they just don't last and I don't want to spend $100 on the type that will hold up, not to mention it is difficult to get rid of the long bulbs around here.

What I am looking for is a place to get cheap ceiling outlet boxes and ceiling bulb fixtures... by cheap, I mean $1 each or less and cheap shipping. My nearest big box store is 2 hours away, so I could shop there, but then I have to pay for gas and bridge fare.

Anyone reburb a house and have a bunch of these laying around they want to get rid of for a song?

How about a place to buy in bulk, that ships cheap?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
8' florescent is what you want. Look for a place that does energy efficient lighting upgrades and scam both the old fixtures and the old bulbs from them. When they upgrade they have to pay to get rid of the bulbs. The older style are fine for a garage that gets only part time usage. I got mine from an old hardware store that was going through a remodel.

You could try craigslist, if they have that up there in the UP.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 01-11-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Ok, I want to add more lighting to my garage. I am thinking about adding about 40-50 ceiling light outlets ... 8-10 lights per rafter and 5 rafters. This sounds like a lot, but I will be using 25W CFLs.... I have the standard 8' height in the garage, but no ceiling. Rafters are about 4 ft apart. I tried using 4' fluro. tube lighting, but they just don't last and I don't want to spend $100 on the type that will hold up, not to mention it is difficult to get rid of the long bulbs around here.

What I am looking for is a place to get cheap ceiling outlet boxes and ceiling bulb fixtures... by cheap, I mean $1 each or less and cheap shipping. My nearest big box store is 2 hours away, so I could shop there, but then I have to pay for gas and bridge fare.

Anyone reburb a house and have a bunch of these laying around they want to get rid of for a song?

How about a place to buy in bulk, that ships cheap?

The quickest and easiest thing to do is to go buy one of those hanging flourescent light fixtures. You know those rectangular fixtures that you have inside office buildings that are usually recessed into the sectioned ceiling? You can buy those at Home Depot or Lowes or Hechingers (if this were the 80s) really, really cheap. They're like $30 bucks, WITH the lightbulbs. It includes like 4 flourescent bulbs that are 3' each. You can get them with 120 or 220 volts.

I have a normal sized 2-car garage, and I have one hanging in the center, and my garage is extremely well lit.

If you really needed it, you could put two of them in there and tie them into the single lighting box you have now. For what it's worth, when you buy one, it comes as a kit. You basically get the lighting fixture, along with about 4 feet of conduit and wiring. What I did was remove the porcaline single bulb fixture, then punch out a hole in the electrical box that it attached to, stuck in the conduit / wires from the lighting fixture, tied it in, and then put a plate over the electrical box. All you need is one existing lighting fixture electrical box, and you can attach two of those hanging lights in there.

It works like a charm.

For anything additional, I have a hanging drop-light that self coils... that's hanging from the ceiling by the electric garage door opener.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
40-50 lights? I would think that is some kind of overkill for a garage with just 8' walls and only 5 rafters. That's going to be a lot of junctions to make

I have cathedral ceilings in my house, with 14' walls, and use nowhere near that many light fixtures.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. Part of the problem is the cold. The tube flourescent bulbs don't do well in the cold. Sometimes I can't even get some of them to turn on. I would have to buy the special bulbs/fixtures that work in the cold and that raises the price. Also, I can't get rid of the long bulbs around here, easily.

I forgot about CL... I will check that out.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by maryjane:

40-50 lights? I would think that is some kind of overkill for a garage with just 8' walls and only 5 rafters. That's going to be a lot of junctions to make

I have cathedral ceilings in my house, with 14' walls, and use nowhere near that many light fixtures.

the rafters are 4 ft apart... this is probably a 24x24 garage with no ceiling, so some light will be lost. I figure about 8 to 10 lights per rafter. I could go less, but some of these lights will also have outlets for reel shop lights and for generic ceiling power. I know it seems like too much.... but the garage is too dark and it faces north, so even in the summer there isn't much light in there.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

the rafters are 4 ft apart... this is probably a 24x24 garage with no ceiling, so some light will be lost. I figure about 8 to 10 lights per rafter. I could go less, but some of these lights will also have outlets for reel shop lights and for generic ceiling power. I know it seems like too much.... but the garage is too dark and it faces north, so even in the summer there isn't much light in there.

Sounds similar to my garage. I use the type of light fixtures your looking for. There are nine. When I bought the house, each outlet had a 75w bulb but I still found it a bit dark.
I replaced them with CFL's with the light output equivalent to a 100 watt bulb. I think its around 23 watts?
That change gave me alot more light. Just be sure to get the "Bright White" CFL's & not the "warm light" if you go that direction.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
A little over kill, but up here I also have trouble with fluorescents starting because of the cold. So I did this, I put up the old style incandescing bulb sockets about every 5 ft. then I got one of those sockets you screw into those that have two plugs and a pull chain to turn on the bulbs. And I plug the fluorescents into the plugs. That way if the fluorescents don’t light I can just pull the chain and wala the incandescent work.

Like this

You screw them into the switched ceiling light socket and put what ever type of screw in light bulb you want. The screw in light bulb is controlled by the pull chain and the wall switch.

Now if the fluorescents don’t light right away because of the cold just pull the chain and there you go instant light utill the shop warms up enough for the fluorescents to work.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that sounds about right. I know even 10 bulbs would be good, but I am thinking 40-50 would be better. I figured that I am running the wires, so adding more outlet boxes wouldn't be a big deal. I can always choose to leave some light bulbs out if it is too bright.

Originally posted by nmw75:

Sounds similar to my garage. I use the type of light fixtures your looking for. There are nine. When I bought the house, each outlet had a 75w bulb but I still found it a bit dark.
I replaced them with CFL's with the light output equivalent to a 100 watt bulb. I think its around 23 watts?
That change gave me alot more light. Just be sure to get the "Bright White" CFL's & not the "warm light" if you go that direction.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Thanks, I did something similar... currently my garage has 2 ceiling lights and some fluorescents over the work area... yup... two whole lights! I had the 4' fluor. but they lasted about 2 years and the fixtures quit working.

Keep the ideas coming!

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

A little over kill, but up here I also have trouble with fluorescents starting because of the cold. So I did this, I put up the old style incandescing bulb sockets about every 5 ft. then I got one of those sockets you screw into those that have two plugs and a pull chain to turn on the bulbs. And I plug the fluorescents into the plugs. That way if the fluorescents don’t light I can just pull the chain and wala the incandescent work.

Like this

You screw them into the switched ceiling light socket and put what ever type of screw in light bulb you want. The screw in light bulb is controlled by the pull chain and the wall switch.

Now if the fluorescents don’t light right away because of the cold just pull the chain and there you go instant light utill the shop warms up enough for the fluorescents to work.

Steve

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
For instant bright light I like the 500w halogen lights, plus they are a good heat source to get the air warm enough for the flourescents to light up. My shop is 32x32 and I have 6 halogens on 3 seperate switches so I can light up where I need it. They are cheap, one of them has been using the bulb it came with 10 years !

PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Why not install skylights?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Why not install skylights?

Not practical, as I work a lot in the evenings, in the garage. I do have a plan on installing windows in the South facing wall, but that won't happen until I upgrade the windows in the house (years away). Plus, the garage rafters house Fiero parts and there is not a direct line of site to most of the ceiling in the center
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yep--those work really great on cold overcast winter days and especially at night.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Yep--those work really great on cold overcast winter days and especially at night.

well, not to mention, that in the winter, they are usually covered with snow. That is why I haven't looked at installing them inside the house
doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a sub panel in your garage? How many circuits do you plan on putting in? Around here, code is something like only 8 - 12 lights per circuit. You don't want to overload it or you will have a fire hazard on your hands. If it were me, I'd talk to an electrician in your area and get some ideas.

Doug
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doug.s:

Do you have a sub panel in your garage? How many circuits do you plan on putting in? Around here, code is something like only 8 - 12 lights per circuit. You don't want to overload it or you will have a fire hazard on your hands. If it were me, I'd talk to an electrician in your area and get some ideas.

Doug

What he said, you need to check your electrical code as you will need 4 to 5 separate circuits for that many lights.

As for the 4' fluro - you really only need the cold weather ballast, the bulbs do not matter (that is to say, there is no cold start bulbs). However, the tubes are dim when you first turn them on until the 'warm' up (only takes a couple of minutes) - you do NOT gain anything by using CFL's as the ballast in them is not meant for cold enviroments - you may have the same issue the standard lamps.

As mentioned, halagon fixtures are the way to go if you don't wish to go with the cold start ballast's - of course there is always the LED solution (again not cheap).

You can get cold start ballasts and install them in the fixtures you already have, so you can keep your existing fixtures and bulbs.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Also keep in mind the fact that the cost of copper wire has gone up significantly in the last few years. It is likely to cost you $70 or more for a 100 foot roll of 12/2 cable with a ground. All those proposed lights need a power supply connection. You would also need adequate space on the existing panel box or could even be required to install a subpanel box to handle the lights.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I want to avoid trying to run more power to the garage, as it is not easy and my box is getting full (maybe when I switch to a gas stove... I will have more room). I am looking at about 1000W or less. I was thinking this through and I could go with 30 bulbs. I really want to avoid the 4' bulbs, as I stated, it is difficult to dispose of them here. Garbage collection will not take them as they don't fit in an enclosed 32 gal. garbage container (yes, they will not pick it up if the lid isn't on the container!)

So, 4' tubes are really not ideal for me and I am trying to get away with something else.

How about these? http://www.lightsofamerica....n/Products/9265.aspx

maybe get 6 of them
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Plastic Boxes are $2.29 each here.

http://electrical.hardwares...-zip-box-228627.aspx

$1.79 for the metal boxes for ceiling lights.

http://electrical.hardwares...agon-box-239442.aspx

$0.97 /EA-Each
Here for metal

http://www.homedepot.com/El...0051&catalogId=10053

$0.97 here for plastic.

[URL=http://www.lowes.com/pd_70978-1716-LEZ20CN_4294821892_4294937087_?zipCode=04938&firstReferURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lowes.com%2Fpd_70978-1716-LEZ20CN_4294821892_4294937087_%3FproductId%3D3198725%26Ns%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26pl%3D1%26currentURL%3D%252Fpl_El ectri]http://www.lowes.com/pd_709...RL%3D%252Fpl_Electri[/URL] cal%252BBox_4294821892_4294937087_%253FNs%253Dp_product_price%257C0&catalogId=10051&productId=3198725&pl=1&findStoreErrorURL=StoreLocatorDisplayView&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4077dca1b4%2C+com.low es.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%407402e1b4%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4073b221b4%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40735521b4%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4 0719c21b4%5D¤tURL=%2Fpl_Electrical%2BBox_4294821892_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0&Ntt=&URL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&langId=-1&Ns=p_product_price%7C0&storeId=10151

I can't get a china mart listing but I know they carry them so you might want to check there before going someplace else because they are cheap..
That was what you wanted prices for wasn’t it?
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-11-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Just another idea that my dad has used to light both of our garages and our basement.

While doing some jobs at the Mayo Clinic here in Rochester, my dad had to make a few trips to their outdated office supply warehouse. Its basically just a warehouse that they keep all the old, dated, office chairs, desks, filing cabinets, and, you guessed it, lighting! We now have flourescent lighting in both our garages and in my basement, and it was all very, very, cheap!

The shop/garage is probably about 30x40 and we have five 4' flourescent fixtures. Each fixture has 3 bulbs.
Works really well, plus we have one of the 500w halogens that Mike Gonzalez showed between the two overhead garage doors.

Not sure if there would be any warehouse type place that would have lighting in the U.P., but it might be worth looking into.

edit to remove my poor ASCII art.

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 01-11-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

I really want to avoid the 4' bulbs, as I stated, it is difficult to dispose of them here. Garbage collection will not take them as they don't fit in an enclosed 32 gal. garbage container (yes, they will not pick it up if the lid isn't on the container!)

Simple solution, make the 4 foot or 8 foot bulbs uummm shorter.

Kevin

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Simple solution, make the 4 foot or 8 foot bulbs uummm shorter.

Kevin

Yeah, I have, until I thought about all the mercury vapor that was being released around me!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
CFLs arent going to help you for the cold startup, I like CFLs but they are just as bad as tubes when it comes to cold.

Not to be negative, but this is really a bad idea in general. You are going to need a LOT of circuits for that many fixtures, I cant speak to code in your area but they are typically based on worst case sceanrios, which is going to be something like all 100 watt bulbs or the like, so as its been said, 8 - 10 per 15A circuit. Its also going to take FOREVER to wire all of those junctions, plus all of the materials. How many places have you ever been that you've seen setup like that? Ive never seen a one, and I would wonder what the hell was going on if I did see a place wired like that.

Just go with the norm, everyone else uses florescent fixtures or other high intensity lighting in that type of a scenario for a reason.

And getting rid of the bulbs shouldnt be your main concern, if you burn through that many florescents then you have bigger issues. I know of fixtures in places that I can even remember the last time ONE bulb in the place was changed. You can always pile them in a corner or lay them in the rafters for all eternity, then if you ever get half a dozen of them, dispose of them all at once. Every decent sized town has some sort of hazmat facility, and if you're complaining the garbage wont pick them up, then you arent concerned about proper disposal anyway so just put them in a large garbage bag and tap them with a hammer, then they will fit in a normal bag and into any trash can.

The flood lights arent a bad option, if you can mount them high enough to get good coverage out of them, otherwise you will just have small bright areas
PontiacFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacFieroSend a Private Message to PontiacFieroDirect Link to This Post
Check your local Habitat Restore for used lighting. If you have one.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about 23W CFLs, which are the equiv as 100W Inc.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

... you do NOT gain anything by using CFL's as the ballast in them is not meant for cold enviroments - you may have the same issue the standard lamps.....

Thats true. In the winter it takes a couple of minutes for mine to warm up & emit the full brightness.
The main reason I went with CFL's was to reduce electric consumption / load on that circuit. I went from 675w down to 207w.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacFiero:

Check your local Habitat Restore for used lighting. If you have one.

no luck... just looked.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
While we're on the topic of garage lighting, let me add another question.
I'm considering 48" 4-tube fixtures for my garage. I have a 2 car garage that is roughly 22x22 sq ft.
If you've put in some lighting, what positioning did you find worked best?
If the cars point North/South, do you put one fixture over each car also facing N/S?
Or maybe put them going East/West with one at the front of the cars and one at the back?
Is two enough? Other suggestions?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

While we're on the topic of garage lighting, let me add another question.
I'm considering 48" 4-tube fixtures for my garage. I have a 2 car garage that is roughly 22x22 sq ft.
If you've put in some lighting, what positioning did you find worked best?
If the cars point North/South, do you put one fixture over each car also facing N/S?
Or maybe put them going East/West with one at the front of the cars and one at the back?
Is two enough? Other suggestions?

I have a 3 car garage, with (8) 4 foot long hanging fixtures, each have 2 tube bulbs in them. "Mini" flourescent tubes, they are thinner and "high output" for use in low temps. The fixtures were about $15 each, the bulbs were seperate, maybe $3 each?. They plug in to outlets I have in the ceiling, the outlets are wired to some ilght switches. Been up 5 years and no bulb replacements yet. The lighting is great, and you can choose if you want the bulbs that give "outdoor sunlight" "office light" etc, Got them at Lowes

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-11-2011).]

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
It's been my experience...

whenever you think you have enough lighting in the garage, you don't.
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
getting rid of the long bulbs is EASY.

1/ Wrap 'em in duct tape so the glass is fully encased.
2/ wack with a hammer a few times. (now ya know why you encased them in duct tape
3/ Roll up the result and put it in a bag.
4/ You can probably figgure out what to do with the bag.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

It's not just a flat piece of glass anymore

http://www.skylightsforless...ights-suntunnels.htm

SUN TUNNELS
SUN TUNNEL skylights are the most innovative tubular skylight in the industry. The new product design delivers brighter/whiter natural light and easier/faster installation than ever before. Affordable, efficient, and easy to install, the SUN TUNNEL™ is perfect for lighting your hallway, bathrooms, kitchen or anywhere that needs more natural light.

Rigid and Flexible Models
Flexible model SUN TUNNELS are available in 14" or 21" with the patented flexible tubing which allows the unit to go around virtually any attic obstructions unlike other lighting systems.

Rigid models are available in a 10" or 14" and a rigid SUN TUNNEL™ is nearly as bright as a 21” flexible tunnel. The rigid tubing gives the greatest light brightness and dispersion.

Universal Electric Light Kit for 10" and 14" ZTL 114,

http://www.nextag.com/velux...-tunnel/compare-html
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
heres my cheep cluster,
spliters, running 8 CFL's 100 watt output each, with 23 watts pull each
23watts x 8 is 184 watts, so its really efficient
i have this x2 in my 24x24 garage, that is painted white (paint makes a HUGE difference )

plus i have 2 125 watt CFL's in my garage door opener that pull maybe 30w each??
i took the pic with the lights off, otherwise all i could get is glare

CFL's dont work too well in the cold, untill they get up to temp, so at first they would be pretty dim

to solve that i have a heated garage , right now it is -4 with -23 wind chill, but it is 48 in my garage

------------------
AIM:Onefast2M8
00 VW GTi VR6 -- Not stock
06 VW GTi 2.0t
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
How about these? temporary string lighting
Expensive but fast and easy to install, UL listed.
Great for attics and basements as well
same thing but cheaper

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Floresent 8 or 4 footers is what I have. Look for someone in your area that demolishes buildings. A friend of mine gets 8 footers w/ bulbs from a guy in the area for $5.00 each. I have 2 strings on the ceiling, and one down each side. Brite enough to do all over paint jobs with the walls and ceiling painted white.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Thanks for the info. Part of the problem is the cold. The tube flourescent bulbs don't do well in the cold. Sometimes I can't even get some of them to turn on. I would have to buy the special bulbs/fixtures that work in the cold and that raises the price. Also, I can't get rid of the long bulbs around here, easily.

I forgot about CL... I will check that out.

If you use the solid state/electronic ballasts, you shouldn't have a problem with the cold. This would be a good time to test one. Of course GA isn't anything like up there, but I have never had an issue with mine.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

CFLs arent going to help you for the cold startup, I like CFLs but they are just as bad as tubes when it comes to cold.

Think so? Many CFL and Some tube will work in cold weather. (For tube, check tube spec's and ballast spec.)
Cheap CFL has warm up time 5-15 minute or more but Usually they will light just dim until they warm up.
I use CFL and Tube in cold weather for years.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-13-2011).]

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
In my 30' x 36' horse barn, I have nine of these with plain old 100 watt bulbs:

I just removed the clamp and hung them over the trusses at the 10' level. They light immediately no matter what the temp, provide plenty of light, and cost less than $6 each. I have them in the car barn, too.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 01-13-2011).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Brite enough to do all over paint jobs with the walls and ceiling painted white.

Good point, I painted my walls and ceiling white, helps ALOT.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock