Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  1998 Cherokee 2.5 TD has finally cut me down to size (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
1998 Cherokee 2.5 TD has finally cut me down to size by fierofetish
Started on: 12-29-2010 06:06 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: dougal on 01-18-2011 06:39 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
After maybe 20 hours of trying, I cannot remove the starter motor. I think the starter was fitted to the engine and gearbox before being dropped into the engine bay, and the only alternative would be to take off the turbo and exhaust downpipe...but the bolts on the turbo are frozen in place, and I am scared to round the heads off the bolts...worst fitting 13mm head bolts I have ever come across.
I am now thinking of taking a sawzall to the floor and transmission tunnel, just to get at ONE REMAINING LOUSY BOLT that holds the starter TO THE BELL HOUSING!!!!! Even if I get it undone, it is impossible to get it out without dropping one side of the front axle.
Who was it that said people who design cars have never been a mechanic, and therefore don't consider the problems their crappy designwork will create for mechanics further down the line???
ANYWAY.....as a last resort...does anybody own a Haynes manual for a 1998/9 Cherokee 2.4TD? If they DO, can you scan the part explaining how to remove the starter motor please? Although it may not help too much, because this one is RHD, and the steering rod passes slap bang through the area I need to work in GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
Nick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
Who was it that said people who design cars have never been a mechanic, and therefore don't consider the problems their crappy designwork will create for mechanics further down the line???

I say it just about everyday.

Take a torch to the exhaust manifold Nick, you know this. Heat the area around the bolt orange hot. Then beat a point socket on the bolt. Or weld one on it.
And yes the starter was put on the motor before it was put in the engine bay.

Ease of assembly and what is quicker.

Will unbolting one engine mount give you enough room to get the starter out? I have had to do that on something, for the life of me I can’t remember what but I know I have had to do that.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to give it just 12 more hours Steve, and if I can't do it, it goes back together, I give the guy his money back, and he can take it away .
I'll take a couplke of pics today, to illustrate how impossible this is to do without removing the engine
I need to undo the draglink arm and remove it from the car...but we all know they get seized on, and the bolts snap...and then you can't remove the darned thing anyway..and you have just created MORE work and expense, which you are unlikely to get back again
If I could get the manifolds off, I might stand a chance...but there again, the nuts and bolts at the firewall end are totally inaccesible. EVERY route that can be taken eventually leads back to the same solution: remove the engine. There are two aluminum and asbestos heat-shields fitted to the starter motor and the exhaust downpipe...and they are impossible to remove without destroying them too. Fitted before dropping the engine in
No WONDER I can't find ANYBODY who admits to having been able to remove this blasted thing on ANY Forum!! NOBODY SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SUCCEED!! The only guy who professess to have done it furnished such scant information, and untrue as well, I just don't believe him
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 12-30-2010).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Did you try hosing all the bolts down with PB Blaster? PB Blaster has been my friend for removing lots of bolts that have been subjected to salt in Maine winters. If PB Blaster doesn't work, I will heat it and try that way and if that doesn't work I drill out the bolt and use an easy out or just drill it out entirely and run a tap through the threads to make sure those ain't ruined.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

craigsfiero2007

3979 posts
Member since Aug 2007
I did some searching for you Nick. This job sounds like it really sucks. I actually found two different ways to go about it, the first link sounds more cost effective, but I will let you decide because you are the one under it fixing it. But here are the links to them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/H...Jeep_Cherokee_2.5_TD

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/H...eep_cherokee_2.5_t_d

I hope all this helps.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2010 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few photos. You can see the turbo, where the four bolts holding it on have totally welded themselves in place , ansd also how the bolts holding the two manifolds on cannot be reached in situ.

The starter motor is directly below the turbo, but further back toward the firewall. There is one retaining bolt somewhere behind the solenoid on top of the starter, and the heatshield prevents any access. And I can't get even MY tiny hands up into that tiny space. St5ill contemplating cutting out a section of the transmission tunnel to get at it
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2010 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Wow Craig!! Didn't see you post before I posted the photos..I am now going to check those links out!! THANK YOU!!
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2010 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Thanks so much for your help, but I found those already Craig The first one is the oine I referred to in my original post as not trelling the truth He made it sound relatively simple, and it AIN'T!! Good luck trying to find that third bolt that is hidden behind the solenoid!!
The second one is the one I am trying now...but I can't get the turbo off, and that needs to come off to get access to the manifold bolts. Yes, it DOES suck!
Thanks again for your very kind efforts...typical of you, as I have found before
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 12-30-2010).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Air chisel with the panel cutter, muffler cutter tool. And cut that floor out. I have done it to do gas gauges on jeeps before. No sparks and relatively quick, as long as you don’t hit a frame rail.

Then just rivet or screws are better to seal a flap over the door you create.

Steve

------------------

dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
hi nick
i was thinking of doing the same job on my jeep xj. TD
great pics ,wondering how you got on.
regards
dougal

ps this engine VM, fitted to a number of cars- rover 800, range rover, etc, also 'book' says remove rh engine mount?.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2011 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dougal!! And....welcome to the place that survives on our insanity...be it Fieros, or virtually any other vehicle in T/OT

Yes, I managed to get it out, and yes...I had to undo the RH engine mount and slide it along towards the front of the engine bay to be able to take the starter out. I couldn't remove the Turbo, because all the bolts were frozen into their threads, and I didn't want to make even more work for myself by shearing them off. I thought of taking the manifolds off, but you have to remove the turbo to do that...and anyway, somebody had butchered the three lower retaining manifold bolts, so that was out too. In the end, I had to tear the heat shields off the starter and the exhaust downpipe , remove the water pump rear junction plate, and using two extensions, a universal joint, and a 2 inch extension bar, I managed to remove the third, and most difficult of all the retaining bolts for the starter motor.
My starter is a Bosch model, S577, with 9 teeth on the dog.... most expensive of them all, I guess...180 pounds including shipping. Absolute robbery, when you consider what they are made up of... just the name Bosch....
Anayway, thanks for the interest...and how about an introductory post here? We have several other PFF'ers in Europe and the UK..( I am in Spain)and it would be nice to learn a little more about you!!!!!
WELCOME!!
Nick
PFF
System Bot
dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
http://i1083.photobucket.co...epi****itledjpeg.jpg
source unknown but gratefully acknowledged.
hi again
thank you very much for your prompt reply and glad you made it.
i was thinking about removing the a/c compressor only 4 bolts .for a bit more access at the top.(for the 1 week a year it might be needed in the uk)
the pic shows the little b******r.not mine unfortunately...
will post again later.
hopefully your post will be valuable as someone who has actually done the job, for the many who will be facing this job with, as you say, very little info,
thanks again
dougal

dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post

dougal

11 posts
Member since Jan 2011
ps i did think about cutting an access hole but as the pic shows there are a lot of pipes/ cables in that area.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
OMG?! They made a Jeep Cherokee with a Turbo Diesel???

Is this the same 2.5 that was originally the AMC motor, and the Fiero Iron Duke? I know the normal 2.5 in the Cherokee is the GM 2.5... (or at least was at one point in it's life).

Did they just make it a diesel or something?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Don't know the heritage of this particular engine Todd, but as Dougal has mentioned, it was used in a couple of other Euro cars too. This one has 120,000 miles on it, and it is, IMHO, a crutless geice of pap And it is barely any more economical than the good old 4 litre gas engine...which I happen to love !!
I will NEVER work on one of these again!! NEVER!!
Thanks for the extra photo Dougal. About the ' air conditioning pump'....do you mean the brake servo? I see they removed that in the photo, but I don't think they gained much, if anything by doing so.Edit: just looked again, and they didn't remove the brake servo...and that starter motor looks different to mine
If they had cut out a 1/2" section of thge engine mounting plate...none of this nonsense would have been neccessary. The starter would have cleared the mount then, and slipped right out, easy peasy
BAH!
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-05-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

OMG?! They made a Jeep Cherokee with a Turbo Diesel???

Is this the same 2.5 that was originally the AMC motor, and the Fiero Iron Duke?
No--the original 2.5 "Hurricane" engine in the 84 was NOT an iron duke. It was pure AMC. It was similar, but definitely not a duke vin 4 engine. Intake and starter are on the same side. Distributor on the opposite side. Solvac carburator--no fuel injection on the 84 Cherokee. I had an 84 Cherokee for many years, and I can tell ya, that engine will run circles around a duke as far as reliability, quietness, and everything else. 250,000 miles on it when I sold it, had never had the valve cover off, and still running strong today on a deer lease out in West Texas. Oh, it also used a Ford type "duraspark" ignition, with that module mounted on the fenderwell just like a Ford.

Edit--I be wrong about the starter location--it was on the passenger side too--same as the exh and dist.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-05-2011).]

dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
Nick
did you find the solenoid in the way of the top bolt?
yes my pic just seems to show the back end of the solenoid ,wierd .
i thought perhaps removing the aircon pump would allow a straight run to the ***** top bolt, but re reading your post youve done the same thing by removing the water pump housing,

apparently the vm engine started out as a marine engine, which explaines its lack of accessability when shoehorned into a car.
presumably for the export market,unusually it has 4 seperate cylinder heads, to allow for expansion?

i must confess to loving my jeep,the bodywork is supberb,im told they are good for +30mpg,and on a good day goes like a rocket,
perhaps im exagerating there,
engine and the gearboxes seem to be bombproof ,although ive heard complaints of head/gasket probs.
the spec is amazing- air bags, abs,electric seats,metallic paint,aircon,full amplified stereo etc,one of the best 4wd systems around,all for around a grand in the uk.

downside - as youve found many parts are unique to this vehicle so this is unfortunately reflected in the price.oh and
the heater can develop problems at this age, involving almost gutting the interior .a huge job.

Nick, i appreciate your time on this and hope to see you again on the forum.
regards
dougal

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Dougal.

Since you are in the UK...
Would you happen to know anything about where to find Leyland or Nufield tractor parts or shop manuals??
The pride of my farm, (Leyland) is ill, and they are no longer distributed or sold here in the US..
dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
hi maryjane
i will make some enquiries, unfortunately we have lost much of our tractor manufacturing, coincidently i
live just down the road from david browns which still has a small facility here.
regards
dougal
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
JFYI Don...and maybe it was a typo...but it is NUFFIELD with 2 f's Might make a difference in Googling
Nick
---sure does make a difference ....
http://www.charnleys.com/
Nick

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Nick, how much would it cost to just ship that engine over here?

Brad
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hehehe!! It is soooo horrible, I could probably throw it over .
Why Brad? It is gutless, certainly not economical, and a pig to work on...other than that....IDK...probably around $800?
Nick
Dougal...what year is yours? I'm a bit confused about the 4 separate cylinder heads? I've never looked at that, because I have been concentrating on the blooming starter motor

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Dougal, I now understand the photo you linked to: the heatshield is still strapped around the starter motor!! That darned thing caused me SO MUCH aggravation trying to get to the third bolt...I dragged and ripped it out in the end...and the heatshield on the down pipe
too.
After I removed the heat shield, the rear water pump housing and the various tubes etc, I managed to get my tiny hands down under the turbo, and locate the third bolt, and guide a socket onto it, on the end of THREE extension bars and a universal coupling between the second and third extension .
I can't get the power wire off the solenoid!!... So I'm just going to wait for the new motor to arrive, and see what it looks like on the new one...
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
SO....7 days into quitting smoking, and I am faced with removing the nut on the solenoid, which is an impossibility. I managed to get a socket on it at last, and jumped for joy...only to turn the ratchet about 20 times....and find it hasn't come undone! The blasted terminal is embedded in plastic, and the plastic has deteriorated, allowing the whole darned lot to spin! Here is the view :

Thank GOD I bought a copy dremel some time ago! Went to the local DIY store and bought 5 cut-off wheels for it, and after much manipulative, cursing, and whatever, I managed to cut through the nut and the stake, and prise off the eyelet from the solenoid. Thjen HAD to jack up the car until the draglink dropped far enough....and dragged that efffffffiiiiiinnnnngggggg thing out!! Now all I need is for the new one to arrive (48hr delivery...now 4 days and 12 hours non-delivery....BAH!!), and put it all back together...and go and get...drunk? Nope...don't drink...smoke a cigar? nope...don't smoke ( )...drag the wife off to bed? Nope....forgotten what to do nowadays( )
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
There is a better option Nick. Remember your at a fiero forum...

350c.i. in Cherokee

Swap, Swap, Swap... it's the way of the fiero.
dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
hi again nick
looks like your winning,

i think i might put mine off for a while it dosen,t always go into mesh.

if the jeep your working on is well down on power particularly over 30 mph, its a good bet its the no 1 injector,
it has a electrical sense needle that controls the turbo etc, easy to check.

pretend its a pontiac......
regards
dougal

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Free online manuals for most makes/models:

click here

When it asks for the login just type any letter and any 12 digits
ex. a123456789123 (Michigan state drivers license number)
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mickey_Moose...sadly doesn't list the 2.5TD Cherokee...wonder why?
Great link for future reference though
Nick
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
This is going to be one big bill for changing one starter. You started this when? LAST YEAR! 12/29/10 and it is now 1/11/11 and I have seen you saying you already put in 30+ hour and haven’t gotten the thing OUT!

Please tell me you didn’t quote the guy a price already? Because this is going to be a wopper of a bill if you charge him by the hour.

Or is this your?

I hope you get it out before next year.

Steve

------------------

dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
hi
i have the "factory service manual" for this and basically it says "remove the 3 bolts and remove the starter"........
haynes does not cover the diesel.however the ford scorpio and rover 800 which has the same engine does.
im a bit puzzled, as i mentioned before the vm was/is fitted to a large number of vehicles, even im told, black cabs .
and yet there dosent seem to be a recognised procedure, or anyone apart from nick whose done this.
even on the jeep forums.
perhaps the exhaust manifold and turbo could be removed as a unit, but the centre manifold bolt is behind the downpipe and virtually impossibleto get to.

engine out?
regards
dougal

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
This job is hellish! Steve, if I charged him the hours I have spent, he would have a heart attack.
Let me explain
Dougal:

There are two ways to do this:
Remove the turbo, water pump, RHS engine mount, starter motor. Great!! Sounds simple, eh?
Turbo mounting bolts are all seized, so impossible to remove it. Can't get at the exhaust manifold to turbo mounting nuts...because the turbo is in the way! Can't get the manifolds off...because....the turbo is in the way!!!
Alternative? Pull the engine...literally!!!
UNLESS.......
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CABLES FROM THE BATTERY!!!!

1. Remove all the turbo pipes and tubes, all the water pump tubes and the rear plate of the water pump.
Get underneath the car, and remove the oil return tube from the turbo to the sump. Try to remove the exhaust heatshields in one piece...BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Undo the bottom and side bolts that hold the starter in place. Undo the rhs engine mount from the engine, making sure you have something to take the weight of the engine. Slide a 13mm socket on the end of a 10 inch extension bar, onto the third mounting bolt hiding somewhere behind the solenoid and the engine block. Undo the bolt and remove it. Let the starter motor slide out of the hole in the bellhousing, tilting it downwards until you can undo the two wires to the solenoid Once disconnected, jack the front driverside (in a rhdrive car ) of the car up until the draglink from chassis to front axle drops far enough to enable the removal of the starter motor from below.

Now,,,, the reason this has taken me so long is simple. To remove the engine etc would be an expensive job, and futile, IF you could remove the turbo.
So I set about finding the cheapest way to get the starter out, and replacing it for the minimum cost to the owner. More fool me I lent him my Renault Kangoo to use whilst his jeep was off the road. First problem was trying to identify the starter motor, as there are at least 5 different ones for this Jeep. I was told the only way to identify it was to remove it, beause the serial number was stamped on the faceplate of the motor. (This subsequently proved to be rubbish!! I could clearly see the number stamped on the body of the starter...but they said this wasn't the correct number!! BAAAAHH"!!!!!!! It WAS!!!
So, I couldn't order the new starter until I removed the old one.
I undid just about every blasted nut and bolt in view, trying to get it out!!! In the end, I just succeeded out of sheer stubbornness!

I ordered the new motor, and it should have been here in 48 hours. Apparently snow and ice will delay parcels for up to a WEEK It arrived yesterday.
I have spent 5 hours today, putting the dagnabittyblastedbasteweredsassfdf back together...and also finished putting up the new water cistern in the basement...
I NEED A FREAKING HOLIDAY...and I STILL DIDN'T CAVE IN AND SMOKE A CIGARETTE,EVEN THOUGH ELLIE'S WERE JUST SITTING THERE TEASING ME

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-12-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Ok... may i suggest....

I can guarantee instant satisfaction!
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
....he he he!! Now, IF it were MINE... Hahahaha!!
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-12-2011).]

dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
hi nick
as i say i might put mine off a bit. a chance its the ring gear as well,looks like its too big a job for me, unless i can twist my sons arm.

unless you fancy doing another******,dont answer that.

wish i could stop smoking.my daughter who also smokes,in her thirties, shes just been told she got the lungs of a 60 year old.

re the actual starter no, there is i think a 9 tooth, an 11 tooth,
i recently put a new water pump on, which could be clock or anti-clock, so i assume the same applies to the starter.which
explaines all the different numbers.

regards
ougal

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hahaha!! Just Googled to see if this thread would come up under Cherokee 2.5TD (it did ), and saw this one as well
http://www.4x4community.co....dex.php/t-21872.html

I think I could make money at this now I know how to do it!!
Nick
dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
while im on, anyone tried these car warrantee companies,how can they possibly cover any eventuality?

in my own case heater repair £1200 as ive said a massive job dash, steering column out plus aircon stuff (ive put this job off as wel)l
starter say £500
no 1 injector £400

new engine zillions

nick, thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated,
im sure my jeep forum would appreciate it as well would you have any objection to my putting up the link.?
regards
dougal

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Please do! Be my guest
With regard to the 'Car Warranty' thing...it works by Law of Averages, IMHO.100.000 take out membership at, say, 100 pounds each. That is a pool of 10 million quid! Now, if only 10% (10,000) actually claim on it, and their average claim is 500 quid...then the company are 10 million minus (10.000x500) 5 million in pocket! And don't forget they probably get a big discount on the bill from the repair shop....and if they get too near negative equity...they will find some reason as to why the warranty system won't pay your repairs..
Nick
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dougal:

while im on, anyone tried these car warrantee companies,how can they possibly cover any eventuality?

in my own case heater repair £1200 as ive said a massive job dash, steering column out plus aircon stuff (ive put this job off as wel)l
starter say £500
no 1 injector £400

new engine zillions

nick, thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated,
im sure my jeep forum would appreciate it as well would you have any objection to my putting up the link.?
regards
dougal

1200 for a heater? Wow!

Once upon a once upon I had a Mustang Cobra II (with aircon). The heater core exploded on me and needed to be replaced. The shop manual called for a complete disassembly of the dash board. I decided to locate the approximate position of the core and cut a hole inside the car. I cut through the fibre-glass cover with a die grinder and gained access to the core. Replaced it and packed the area with insulation. Then I screwed a sheet metal cover over the hole and all was well again.

I have little problem modifying a car my way when the design engineers have been arses!

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 01-13-2011).]

dougal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dougalSend a Private Message to dougalDirect Link to This Post
hi tutnkmn

yes i have a detailed internal layout of the heater assembly which is nearly the full width of the car, and thought about getting the dremel or angle grinder and removing just the bit with the heater matrix in.which seems to be fairly accessable, or at least cutting a panel in it .
tricky stufft to cut thick plastic, anything too fast will turn it into gunge, i suppose a hot knife, or maybe those shears that have a centre blade thingy,

theres always a way.

regards
dougal
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
The Cherokee went back to its owner fixed. NEVER to return to darken my workshop doorway again. I can fix other peoples' problems...but I can't fix my Nissan Primera Si...
Nick
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock