Started on: 12-17-2010 07:31 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: blakeinspace on 01-21-2011 12:43 PM
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
so i gota piece of venison from my boss, and was going to fix it for dinner for me and a close friend, i got some greenbeans and red potatoes to go on the side, and i was thinking bout wrapping this in bacon and cooking it..

so heres the delema(sp), ive had deer cooked by several people before, and ive heard its all in how its prepared for how "gamey" it taste(others have said its in what the cut of meat is?)... ive had some tell me to soak it in salt water(wouldnt htat make it stupidly salty?!) and heard a few other ways of preping the meet... so i figured where else would be the best place to ask then PFF, so what do you all suggest i do to prepare this meal?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
No advice....but a question .....

WTF are you doing cooking a piece of meat that could be eaten raw and make some of the worlds best-ever-seen tar-tar sammiches ?????????

Sheesh..........

<j/k>..cook it of you have to...
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
lol, i can get more to try that later... (when shes not around to yell at me bout my diet ) but for this dinner, i wana make something shes going to enjoy.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
If cut into steaks, you could cover the steaks in Dijon mustard, then broil them.

Dijon is good for roasts too.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
smoked bacon
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

If cut into steaks, you could cover the steaks in Dijon mustard, then broil them.

Dijon is good for roasts too.

was gona slice it into rounds bout the thinkness of the (dare i put this out there?) turkey bacon.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Last step: invite Fiero friends to join you.
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Hopefully the deer brought a nice red wine.

------------------

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok, honest answer.

1. The Secret: massively salt your steaks 1 hour before cooking for every inch of thickness. (I normally do a day in advance for venison)

Notice that I didn’t say, “sprinkle liberally” or even “season generously.” I’m talking about literally coating your meat. It should resemble a salt lick.

2. For every inch thick, pull out .25 hours before cooking and let sit IE, 1.5 inches thick = 1.5 hours

3. Rinse off all the water and excess salt
4. The rest is flavor, you can do bacon wrap, but to help pull the "gamey" flavor out, under the bacon put in some slices of apple and pear.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You could soak the meat in some lightly salted water for a couple of hours and then marinate it overnight. The salt water will help get some of the blood out of the meat and rid it of some of the gamey taste. The marinating will also give the meat some flavor. You need to watch how you cook the meat, because it has less fat than a regular steak. Basting it will help keep it moist and tasty.
fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post
Garlic and onoins with bbq sauce if you want it, I saute the onoins and garlic in a pan then add venisin. Yum, I want some.

[This message has been edited by fierowitch (edited 12-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Indirect low smoked (Hickory) for about an hour then a half hour low bubble in a "beer hot tub" (Half can of beer, half stick of butter and some smashed garlic in a disposable loaf pan)
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

Ok, honest answer.

1. The Secret: massively salt your steaks 1 hour before cooking for every inch of thickness. (I normally do a day in advance for venison)

Notice that I didn’t say, “sprinkle liberally” or even “season generously.” I’m talking about literally coating your meat. It should resemble a salt lick.

2. For every inch thick, pull out .25 hours before cooking and let sit IE, 1.5 inches thick = 1.5 hours

3. Rinse off all the water and excess salt
4. The rest is flavor, you can do bacon wrap, but to help pull the "gamey" flavor out, under the bacon put in some slices of apple and pear.

ty, sounds very good, i sent you a PM.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Depends how much you like the 'wild' taste of the blood that this cut of meat has. If you are used to venison, and like it, do the salt thing as mentioned in Uanna's reply. After rinsing, season it well with your favorite spices, or marinate it at least 2 hrs in the fridge.
Cover the whole seasoned thing with tinfoil, pop it in the oven and roast it slowly till tender. Don't be afraid to add veggies to it either. Remove the tinfoil the last 2030 minutes of cooking if you want it to rown more on the outside.
If you've ever cooked a pork tenderloin, then you already know how to do it.

But, as mentioned above, the traditional way to cook it, is sliced into steaks. Back when I did hunt, this is how we would do small a deer freshly killed at camp. If not already mentioned, wash it well before doing anything else. Eat as much as you like--any Dr will tell ya that--it's extremely lean meat.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-17-2010).]

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
There is one little thing missing from this equation though.
Was this some monster swamp buck that dressed out at 140+ lbs or one of those lil Atl seaboard bucks that look like dogs with antlers?

The big old bucks will be rangy as hell, a young spike buck not nearly so.
Also depends on where it's range was. Back when I hunted we went to an area where the deer had access to seed corn farms.

You mentioned grilling so deff recommend the bacon / and fruit wrap. Or go with MJ's suggestion of roasting instead.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Bear in mind, that it is really lean, and will dry out somewhat as you roast it--that's why I cover them with foil.
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Cut into 1/2 inche steaks, soak in buttermilk overnight.

Cook like country fried steak seasoning the flour to your taste (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, crushed red pepper, etc, dry seasoning mixed in the flour) Make gravy, onion optional.

or

Wrap in bacon, dry rub, and grill it.

Any way you do it, let it soak in buttermilk overnight.

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

...............what do you all suggest i do to prepare this meal?

Drop it in a cooler filled with hot ice, call UPS for schedule a pickup and PM me for my shipping address!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If you want to slice it like steaks, you can sprinkle it with garlic salt and pepper and pan fry it in butter or margarine. Sear it on both sides, then reduce the heat and finish cooking. Searing helps hold in the juices and the garlic and pepper helps to remove the game flavor.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
so i cooked a test piece early, turned out perfect!

soaked it for bout 6hrs in saltwater w/ a dash of vinager, sliced wraped w/ bacon & apples...

then i toped it w/ a dash of garlic and some pepper.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I just now saw your PM--I've had my speakers off and hadn't been back to the main page. Looks like you have it well in hand tho without any assist. Enjoy!!
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
full meal with a glass of her favorite wine (when i took the pic i got a wierd look and was told "god i hope thats not for facebook)

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
This just popped up on Serious Eats:
http://www.seriouseats.com/...son-loin-recipe.html

A couple months back I shot a couple deer in northern Michigan. Chichi wrote about us eating the heart, which was extraordinarily delicious. I saved the loins for my family's Christmas dinner, which due to various scheduling conflicts, took place last night, a good week before the actual day.

Cooking venison loin is not all that different from cooking beef loin, except that it is significantly leaner. Since fat transmits heat much slower than lean protein, in beef, it acts as an insulator. Thus the fattier the cut, the slower it cooks. Lean venison take only about two-thirds the time to cook than an equivalent-sized piece of beef.

I debated cooking this sous-vide, but in the end decided to simply use my inverse-oven technique: start it out in a low oven until it comes to within a few degrees of your desired finished temperature, then slap it into a ripping-hot skillet to sear the outside. The result is perfectly evenly cooked meat.

The spice rub gets some bitterness from coffee and a bit of heat from ancho chilis, but it's totally optional—feel free to season with just salt and pepper and serve with a simple pan sauce or garlic-parsley butter.

Click the link for the recipe.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 12-20-2010).]

Docs87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Docs87gtSend a Private Message to Docs87gtDirect Link to This Post
i advise you send some my way
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE venison, and the gameyness is the best part. (I was raised on it, so maybe it's an acquired taste.) Either way, the end product looked like it turned out great! I need to befriend a deer hunter so I can get my hands on some good deer sausage.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
grilling over charcoal my first doe backstraps tonight. I've got two large fist sized straps hanging, thawed in the fridge, while they drain.

I like the idea of grilling with an apple slice in there.

Open to any other ideas!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock