"It's just the weather" by fierosound
Started on: 12-05-2010 03:55 PM
Replies: 92
Last post by: fierosound on 02-06-2011 12:50 PM
TiredGXP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post
Extrapolating global temperatures by measuring termperatures in metropolitan areas is a joke - because of the heat island effect. The larger the city, the greater the effect. This says nothing about the 99.5% of the area that is not in the metropolitan areas.

When I lived on the acreage, you could see the temperature (in winter) increase by up to 7*C on the car's external temp sensor between the boonies and downtown Edmonton. Usually it was only 4 or 5*C, but even that's a massive difference. Now that I live on on the edge of the heat island, the difference is only ~2*C between home and the office.

Edit **page 3**
And it's not just the vehicle warming up that caused this, temperatures also consistently dropped by the same amount when leaving the heat island.

[This message has been edited by TiredGXP (edited 01-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
The more some of you talk the deeper you seem to burying your heads in the ground.

Let's see first there's the forcasts of storms and cold weather. Wow snowstorms and cold in winter!! Clearly there is no Climate Change happening because it's cold where I live today. Keep ingnoring the the facts.

Then there's some kind of weird arguement that THE HOTTEST YEAR ON RECORD is further indication that the sunspots might create a mini ice age. Hmmmmm....we are at a solar minimum but have the hottest year in recorded history and that seems to show a trend of heading into an ice age. haha funny stuff.

Someone pipes up and says they must not have factored Sherwood Park Alberta into the Global temperatures for the year because that would have changed the results for the entire planet. Hilarious!!!

And then of course we get the tired blanket statement of "you can't trust any of the scientific measurements". If that's the case who can you trust in regards of measuring such things, old man fart with his rain barrell and freshly licked finger out the window? Brilliant!

Finally the attempt to use the heat island effect which was looked at and subsequently shown over and over to be insignificant in terms of Global readings. You could check the science but of course it's all tainted. Pathetic.

Either of you have any proof or is it just your bunions acting up.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Finally the attempt to use the heat island effect which was looked at and subsequently shown over and over to be insignificant in terms of Global readings. You could check the science but of course it's all tainted. Pathetic.

Hard to have a discussion about religion but.. here goes.
What's the correct temp for the planet?
Technically speaking it's been warm enough to grow grapes in greenland, is your end goal a volcanic ice age circa 1918?
Really want you to put up city island temp vs a volcano..
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999

The more some of you talk the deeper you seem to burying your heads in the ground.

Let's see first there's the forcasts of storms and cold weather. Wow snowstorms and cold in winter!! Clearly there is no Climate Change happening because it's cold where I live today. Keep ingnoring the the facts.

Then there's some kind of weird arguement that THE HOTTEST YEAR ON RECORD is further indication that the sunspots might create a mini ice age. Hmmmmm....we are at a solar minimum but have the hottest year in recorded history and that seems to show a trend of heading into an ice age. haha funny stuff.

Someone pipes up and says they must not have factored Sherwood Park Alberta into the Global temperatures for the year because that would have changed the results for the entire planet. Hilarious!!!

And then of course we get the tired blanket statement of "you can't trust any of the scientific measurements". If that's the case who can you trust in regards of measuring such things, old man fart with his rain barrell and freshly licked finger out the window? Brilliant!

Either of you have any proof or is it just your bunions acting up.

Fine, go put up solar panels n stuff on your roof.
The rest of us in the metro Heat Islands are going to ignore your global cooling rant.. sorry.. global warming... sorry.. what was is this decade?
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

Hard to have a discussion about religion but.. here goes.
What's the correct temp for the planet?
Technically speaking it's been warm enough to grow grapes in greenland, is your end goal a volcanic ice age circa 1918?
Really want you to put up city island temp vs a volcano..

Sorry, I really can't make any sense of this. Seems like an aimless ramble, feel free to elaborate.
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post
Well, according to Environment Canada, the average temperature for Edmonton from 1900 through 1961 was a whopping 2.1 degrees. Strangely enough, annual data from Environment Canada also indicates that the average temperature in Edmonton between 1961 and 2009 was also 2.1 degrees.

Global warming and/or global cooling not found here.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TiredGXP:

Well, according to Environment Canada, the average temperature for Edmonton from 1900 through 1961 was a whopping 2.1 degrees. Strangely enough, annual data from Environment Canada also indicates that the average temperature in Edmonton between 1961 and 2009 was also 2.1 degrees.

Global warming and/or global cooling not found here.

Case closed. The climate of Edmonton doesn't change .
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post

Case closed. The climate of Edmonton doesn't change .

True, it sucks all the time. God, I can't wait to retire somewhere warm.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TiredGXP:

True, it sucks all the time. God, I can't wait to retire somewhere warm.

Now that's something we can agree on!!!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Northeastern States/Eastern Canada

"region already contending with above-average snowfall this season"
- Jan 26 http://www.ledger-enquirer....oo-bad-another.html#

"It was the sixth snowstorm to slam into the region in the last 30 days."
- Jan 27 http://abcnews.go.com/US/wi...rm/story?id=12774029

Looks like the long range forecast has ANOTHER storm headed that way mid-week (Feb 2-4)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-29-2011).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
We're back into lows down to -16c and snow for the next 4 days, one day of break, and then more.

However we are doing really well compared to the guys in the East Coast.

But just watch, as soon as spring breaks will be back to "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"

It's all part of the cycle whether we like it or not.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

We're back into lows down to -16c and snow for the next 4 days, one day of break, and then more.

However we are doing really well compared to the guys in the East Coast.

But just watch, as soon as spring breaks will be back to "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"

It's all part of the cycle whether we like it or not.

Arn

Thank goodness it's been one of the best winters I can remember for snowfall amounts. Only had to shovel twice so far. Amazing what an effect a change in the jet stream and air currents have.

Yeah, the Chicken Little's are almost as pathetic as all those screaming when we get a cold snap in winter hey??

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 01-30-2011).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Looks like the long range forecast has ANOTHER storm headed that way mid-week (Feb 2-4)

Well, the monster storm hit 1/3 of the US http://abcnews.go.com/US/wi...st/story?id=12808710

See first post for storms so far this winter (Nov 2010 to now...)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-06-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock