Started on: 12-05-2010 03:55 PM
Replies: 92
Last post by: fierosound on 02-06-2011 12:50 PM
newf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Your posts often read that way.

Fair enough but honestly I usually only post when I believe something or have a general interest. At the same time I will often challenge people when they pigeon hole groups or people because I think it's unfair, such as when I see someone stating things like "all (insert appropriate group of people) are a certain way" or other unfair generalizations about individuals or groups.
IP: Logged
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Fair enough but honestly I usually only post when I believe something or have a general interest. At the same time I will often challenge people when they pigeon hole groups or people because I think it's unfair, such as when I see someone stating things like "all (insert appropriate group of people) are a certain way" or other unfair generalizations about individuals or groups.

OK, fair enough when you do that. I feel the same way. It's just that some of your arguments are circular, and others seem to be arguments for arguments sake. Some of our discussions have been constructive, and some not. I prefer the constructive discussions.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

I prefer the constructive discussions.

Clearly.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Clearly.

Unfortunately, we don't always get what we prefer. Such is life.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Comeon guys. Thicker skins please The thread topic was Colder Winters.
Arguments can go in the GW threads, insults can go in some thread that's already in the the Trash.

Looking at the latest links in the First Post - we're off to what may be another record setting COLD winter already!!

Snowy SUMMER in Australia http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ia-in-midsummer.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-20-2010).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Still unseasonably warm here and no snow as of yet.

It's importance in terms of a general trend or the Earths overall climate = none.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 12-20-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Still unseasonably warm here and no snow as of yet.

The Atlantic received alot of warming this year and that is buffering you for now.
Like last year, it's waiting 'till after the new year http://www.amherstdaily.com...land-badly-damaged/1

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Atlanta had 4-5 days of way below normal temps. I saw 13F the other morning, where the normal low temp would be upper 30s.
We also had a dusting of snow and then, two days later, a sheet of ice on the roads caused by frozen drizzle. There were over 1000 accidents reported in the metro ATL area.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The Atlantic received alot of warming this year and that is buffering you for now.
Like last year, it's waiting 'till after the new year http://www.amherstdaily.com...land-badly-damaged/1

When it waits til after the New Year I can handle it because I know it won't last too long but when it starts in October it gets a little trying when you are still shovelling in March and April, sometimes even May.

If the percipitation we've experienced in the last month had of been snow we would be buried like a lot of other places, luckily it's been all rain so far.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 12-21-2010).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

newf

8704 posts
Member since Sep 2006
It's very windy here however, this is a pic of the appropriately named "wreckhouse" in my Province. It used to be an area where train cars would be blown over, now it's transports.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 12-21-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Merry WHITE Christmas. Dec 26 in US http://news.sky.com/skynews...01012415871565?f=rss

"Large parts of the US eastern seaboard have been covered in snow by a winter storm that has already brought chaos to southern states."

"South Carolina had its first Christmas snow since records began in 1887."

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Raleigh NC had it's first Christmas snow sine 1947, and the second largest single day snowfall amount since WWII.
It's also been one of the coldest Decembers on record.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
One theory is that the oil spill in the Caribbean has caused the Atlantic Current to slow down.

http://www.infiniteunknown....nges-say-scientists/

This is of course, a problem, because the Atlantic Current takes heat out of the Caribbean and sends it northward and across the Atlantic. However, there is also near record cold in Florida, so where is the heat?

Mix that up with the greater warmth in Newfoundland, when compared to the continent and you have a further mystery.

If the Atlantic Current though, does diminish, or even reverse, the effects are largely unknown. Some say it will cause an ice age in Europe, however, if it reverses, it brings warm water up the coast from Africa, so where do we get the reversal of the current causing an ice age?

There are those who subscribe to the notion put forward in the Day After Tomorrow, however, there is no evidence to actually support the premise of the movie.

It seems like North America, Europe, Asia, are all experiencing a down right cold and snowy winter. I guess Newfoundland must be blessed.

Arn
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

It seems like North America, Europe, Asia, are all experiencing a down right cold and snowy winter. I guess Newfoundland must be blessed.

Arn

I wish.

We have had mild temperatures all through this fall and now into winter but if the amount of percipatation we've had was snow rather than rain I think we would have been buried alive. Can't say I'm unhappy about the lack of snow however there are lots of winter lovers here who are. Oh well, winter is far from over yet.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
26 here Monday morning. Deep East Texas--USA.
Daughter called from near Boone North Carolina tonight--they are snowed in
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Winter hit hard on Canada's west coast on Vancouver Island. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/br...washington-snow.html

"The Mount Washington Alpine Resort has been hit by record amounts of snow over the past five days, leaving the mountain with a snow pack of 520 centimetres at the base. Ski resort officials believe the snow pack is higher than any other resort in the world right now." 520 cm = 17 FEET

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-28-2010).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
While global bullshit continues, let's do a flashback to the predictions of the demise of snow, ice and winters...

Climate Scientists 2006: winters in US “becoming warmer, less snowy”

Met Office 2006: “we are expecting milder winters”

And

'Incorrect': Climatologist Pielke Sr. Slaps Down NYT's Judah Cohen for Global Warming Blizzard Claims!
Comment On The New York Times Op-Ed “Bundle Up, It’s Global Warming”
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

... let's do a flashback to the predictions of the demise of snow, ice and winters...

Thanks. Isn't that ironic??? As the Links in my First post pointed out, the trend seems to be in the opposite direction of their predictions...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-29-2010).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
the sun is NOT outputing the normal amounts do to the lack of sun spots
while the long period of no spots has quit we are no where near normal sun spot count

active weather is to be expected

btw 70 deg f here today but that is cool for south Fla
we had frost at dawn a few days ago that is once in ten years here

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I like Canadians just fine. I don't particularly like *you* because I don't like your attitude, and I'm guessing you don't like me, either. So be it. It's got nothing to do with nationality.

Not sure how I missed this bright bit of Christmas cheer from several days ago.

Fierobear, I'm really not all that bad of a guy when I'm not responding to BS in O/T. Honest.

Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, but I don't particularly dislike you. However, I'm sorry I can't say the same about your real estate buddy (or ex-buddy as the case may be). He's one of a very few members here over the last eleven years that I've got absolutely no time for.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99

Winter hit hard on Canada's west coast on Vancouver Island. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/br...washington-snow.html

"The Mount Washington Alpine Resort has been hit by record amounts of snow over the past five days, leaving the mountain with a snow pack of 520 centimetres at the base. Ski resort officials believe the snow pack is higher than any other resort in the world right now." 520 cm = 17 FEET

And yet here in Vancouver, which is about a hundred miles away (in a straight line), we got nuttin'.

Elevation makes a huge difference, as we're getting tons of rain here (at sea level) and no snow. And yeah, there's snow on the local mountains (but not 17 feet of the stuff).
PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And yet here in Vancouver, which is about a hundred miles away (in a straight line), we got nuttin'.

Elevation makes a huge difference, as we're getting tons of rain here (at sea level) and no snow. And yeah, there's snow on the local mountains (but not 17 feet of the stuff).

Lots of rain here but no snow, I believe we were the warmest city in Canada yesterday. The jet stream and some other factors tend to have a big influence on the weather here.

Yet, I'm sure the weather in my particular area this month is not indicitive of the planets climate over the last 50 years or so . The variables of localized weather are plenty, one really needs to study CLIMATE as a whole to gain an understanding of global trends and not just quote the local weather to try and make a point about it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I believe we were the warmest city in Canada yesterday.

Oh yeah, whatcha got? Yesterday and today it's 5°C here.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
And with one weekend eastern snow storm, Mother Nature created more jobs than the Stimulus.
Glad to be here!
BTW, what does a snow shovel look like?

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 12-29-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Lots of rain here but no snow, I believe we were the warmest city in Canada yesterday.

Thanks. As the topic of this thread is extreme winter weather, let us know when it snows there

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. As the topic of this thread is extreme winter weather, let us know when it snows there

Oh no, problem. Certainly extreme winter weather here to be 9 degrees Celsius on Dec. 28th.

Make sure you guys manage to stay on topic as well.

While global bullshit continues, let's do a flashback to the predictions of the demise of snow, ice and winters...

Thanks. Isn't that ironic??? As the Links in my First post pointed out, the trend seems to be in the opposite direction of their predictions...

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
btw 70 deg f here today but that is cool for south Fla
we had frost at dawn a few days ago that is once in ten years here

I hear FL has had one of the worst winters in decades, with a staggering dollar amount of crop losses.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Not sure how I missed this bright bit of Christmas cheer from several days ago.

Wow, you mean I slipped something past you?

Fierobear, I'm really not all that bad of a guy when I'm not responding to BS in O/T. Honest.

OK, I'll take you at your word.

Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, but I don't particularly dislike you.

OK, that's good. Perhaps one day we'll find peace.

However, I'm sorry I can't say the same about your real estate buddy (or ex-buddy as the case may be). He's one of a very few members here over the last eleven years that I've got absolutely no time for.

He's his own person, can't speak for him.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by partfiero:

And with one weekend eastern snow storm, Mother Mature created more jobs than the Stimulus.
Glad to be here!
BTW, what does a snow shovel look like?

Maybe Obama finally got his "shovel ready jobs"?

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Certainly extreme winter weather here to be 9 degrees Celsius on Dec. 28th.

I'm sure temps like that happened before - just nobody complained about it (except you).

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Thank God for global warming then. Can you imagine how cold it would be if not for global warming?

Now just so every one knows, I WAS FRIGGEN KIDDING.

Ever hear of mother nature? She is has and can be a cruel woman. Ask any farmer who is trying to meek out a living. The weather is the weather, no 2 winters, summers, springs, falls or mud season are ever the same.

Get over it, it’s winter, it get cold. Some years it get real cold. Some not.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I know here, Florida and most places east of the Mississippi are far below normal temps for the time of year. We been 15-20* below average for the whole month of Dec. Luckily very little snow.

Id tend to believe the new ice age fanatics before the global warming ones...so far theyve been closer to the truth.
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Id tend to believe the new ice age fanatics before the global warming ones...so far theyve been closer to the truth.

But I have given all of my winter clothes to the Goodwill, and bought only summer outfits preparing for the global warming thing.
Just don't know what a girl is supposed to do, and boys, please make up your minds.
Oh well, time to go shopping for more winter clothes.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

Just don't know what a girl is supposed to do, and boys, please make up your minds.

Do what ever you want; all we want is some occasional attention.

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure temps like that happened before - just nobody complained about it (except you).

Wait... when have I ever complained about mild temps?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
"Weather Bomb" hitting Eastern Canada http://www.theweathernetwor...?ref=stormwatch_city
... and Newfoundland http://www.theweathernetwor...?ref=stormwatch_city

This storm blew in from the northeastern states http://www.nhregister.com/a...ea5b63c808768038.txt

Britain sets record in December 2010 http://www.government-news....d-december-2010.asp#

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-22-2011).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Well...
We just had 4-6" of snow, covered by ice, in Atlanta (can you say "ice road follies"?) two weeks ago, and there's a good chance of some more this week.
Great.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
We're sitting at -12C or 10.4Fahrenheit

The normal range is -3 daytime. Now I am not complaining. I remember winters just as cold and unlike some folks I accept that weather is continually fluctuating and is never the same year over year. It is the natural cycle, and yes, the low Sunspot count http://spaceweather.com/ is low. Let's hope it doesn't stay low though, because the last time it stayed low resulted in the last "mini" ice age.

Arn
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post
We just finished about 5-6 weeks of sub -15 to -20 daytime highs, and have now also tied a 40 year old record for snowpack. This after coming of one of the wettest/coldest summers I can remember around here (it was even snowing on May 31).

Don't know how 2010 was tied for the warmest year on record, must not have factored us into the calculation (perhaps our reality is an "inconvenient truth" to the global warming advocates).

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
It's true. The weather stations relied on by IPCC are in metropolitan areas for the most part. They don't count northern Canada figures at all. The figures are COOKED!

Arn
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock