Started on: 08-09-2010 03:51 AM
Replies: 92
Last post by: yellowstone on 03-06-2012 05:30 PM
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

I know we have quite a large spread of religious influences on here, but I also know there are quite a few Christians.

So for us Christians, I thought we could kind of have this thread to just build each other up with verses and song.

Post what you read today, or if you listened to a song that brought you to an intimate moment of praise, post the song.

I'm looking forward to this, I really hope you guys participate.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
So I read Matthew 9 today in Church (not my own time) and it hit me just really hard.

Read Matthew 9:9-13
As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.
And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

"he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him."
This hit me the hardest. Look at that Authority. He sees someone who has made a PROFESSION out of lying and stealing, and calls him up to drop EVERYTHING and just like that.. BOOM a lifetime commitment for Jesus occurs. That is so freaking awesome. Can you imagine... dropping EVERYTHING? Well that's what we're called to, right?? It's just so clear in this instance it really sticks out.

We were also talking about pharisees for a bit (our church has 3 songs of worship, we break into small groups for about 20 minutes with passages and questions, then get together for a lesson before another time of worship) and I was saying that I can actually empathize pretty well with the Pharisees... I mean I've never been in any position remotely like it... but Jesus was such a RADICAL preacher that I think I would be one of the Pharisees.... I would doubt! I would question his actions! It's almost like when Mormons come to me and tell me they are serving the same God as I am. They seem like two completely different things. Jesus was so radical! Idk I was just thinking of that.

"Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick."
We also hit this for a bit. It's amazing that even with Jesus's teachings we have separated who needs help and who doesn't. We have separated the "sick" and the "healthy" when we are ALL sick!!!! I mean there was this problem when Jesus came to be, and it still exists! We are all in need of Him, and are nothing without Him.

'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.'
I found this a strange bit of wording, too. For we are called to sacrifice our lives, even though in turn we receive the greatest gift of all creation. Sacrifice, however, is worthless without mercy. This is true. And my Bible pointed me over to Hosea 6:6 which reads "For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings." So perhaps Jesus just meant living animal sacrifices?

In the first part of worship we sang "All I Have Is Christ" which I thought was really cool because I just noticed it's like a whole story of a Christian. It goes:

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You

---------------

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

- Brennan

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread Brennen. Hope it does well. Best wishes.

Although not religious I have always loved Amazing Grace (best with bagpipes):

---------------------------------
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

------------------------------------
My Gran was Presbyterian Scottish.

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 08-09-2010).]

ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the thread. Here is a song that I enjoy:

I have recently had a tattoo done on my back that is a Celtic cross and around it it says "Per suus vitualamen , nostrum salus" which means "With his sacrifice, our salvation". Another cool thing is that I was baptized in the waters of the Euphrates River while I was in Iraq.

Shelby

[This message has been edited by ARFiero (edited 08-09-2010).]

Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tutnkmn:

Nice thread Brennen. Hope it does well. Best wishes.

Although not religious I have always loved Amazing Grace (best with bagpipes):

Anything with bagpipes makes my eyes misty, so I won't even bother watching that you tube video.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARFiero:

Another cool thing is that I was baptized in the waters of the Euphrates River while I was in Iraq.

Shelby

Wow, that would be something else!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
SERMON ON THE MOUNT

THE GOSPEL OF MATTHEW

DATE WRITTEN: 63 AD

The Beatitudes

And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

"Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Believers Are Salt and Light
"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Christ Fulfills the Law
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Murder Begins in the Heart
"You have heard that it was said to those of old, "You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, "Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, "You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

Adultery in the Heart
"You have heard that it was said to those of old, "You shall not commit adultery.'
But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Marriage Is Sacred and Binding
"Furthermore it has been said, "Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Jesus Forbids Oaths
"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, "You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.' But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your "Yes' be "Yes,' and your "No,' "No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

Go the Second Mile
"You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Love Your Enemies
"You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 6

Do Good to Please God
"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.

The Model Prayer
"And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
"Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Fasting to Be Seen Only by God
"Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The Lamp of the Body
"The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

You Cannot Serve God and Riches
"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Do Not Worry
"Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
"So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
"Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?' or "What shall we drink?' or "What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 7

Do Not Judge
"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

The Narrow Way
"Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

You Will Know Them by Their Fruits
"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

I Never Knew You
"Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

Build on the Rock
"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
"But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."
And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-09-2010).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Excellent stuff Boondawg. Great foundation building stuff all of it.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled."

This one is a bigee, sort of encompasses all of it. Do we thirst and hunger, do we seek to know more? I ask myself that sometimes, am I devoting too much time elseware, not spending enough time reading, expaning my knowledge of God and his word? Time with other Christians. It seems I never get enough.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

I like Hal Lindsey. Can't wait to see his weekly TV show, but his website has even more good stuff. I check it every day.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
John 1:1 - 13:

1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. 1:2 The Word was with God in the beginning. 1:3 All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created. 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of mankind. 1:5 And the light shines on in the darkness, but the darkness has not mastered it.

1:6 A man came, sent from God, whose name was John. 1:7 He came as a witness to testify about the light, so that everyone might believe through him. 1:8 He himself was not the light, but he came to testify about the light. 1:9 The true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was created by him, but the world did not recognize him. 1:11 He came to what was his own, but his own people did not receive him. 1:12 But to all who have received him – those who believe in his name – he has given the right to become God’s children 1:13 – children not born by human parents or by human desire or a husband’s decision, but by God.

Bold mine.

The pastor's sermon was about Salvation, and how we (Christians) can be glib about leading people to Christ, as in, "Should I use the "ABC" or "The Romans Road" today?" Often, we are talking to someone who is hurting deeply, while we are looking for another notch in our belt. We don't see the tree, in effect, for the forest.

Sometimes, even during the sermon, something else grabs me....

The bold section of 1:11 was what I focused on. Christ - God Incarnate - came to what was His own. His creation, fearfully and wonderfully made (PSA 139:14) didn't understand, right away, who He was. I can't imagine this. My kids often wish that they could ignore me, but I can't foresee an instance in which they don't know me. Even more so, I know Him. I know who He is, and I often act like I don't know who He is. This must be heartbreaking to Him, and even more so, knowing that, despite all the historical proofs and evidences, that there are those of His that, worse than rejecting Him, will refuse to acknowledge Him.

I can't put into words what I felt as I came into this line of thinking. I can do or say stupid stuff, and come back, like a mini prodigal son. I could even become a true prodigal, and waste years of my life out there, and He will always be waiting for me. But He knows the people, better than they know themselves, who have locked themselves away from Him for their lives - in both senses of the word. They are sending themselves into Judgment. He will bring people into their lives and show them all kinds of wonders on this Earth, and they still will not turn to Him. I ache for my children most of the time, and they are right here with me. We are His handiwork, and some of us don't know it.

That hurts.

I know that this was about edification, and my bit is sort of a downer, but that's what was there in Church for me. I need to be more of a child of His. I need to learn to hold His hand, much as I want my little ones to hold my hand in a parking lot (or, really, any time I can hold them). Many times I've prayed to be the husband and father that He wants me to be, but if, hopefully, I become more being His child, that will come, too.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Psalm 119: 33-40

Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees;
then I will keep them to the end.

34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.

35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.

36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.

37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.

38 Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.

39 Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.

40 How I long for your precepts!
Preserve my life in your righteousness.

1 Corinthians 13
Love
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 John 4:7-21
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

John 16:33

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Ezekiel 25:17

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2010 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Revelation 5: 1-14
1 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.

4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the even Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Revelation 6: 1-17
1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

3 And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.

4 And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

5 And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.

6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

7 And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Revelation 8: 1-13
1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.

3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.

6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

12 And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.

13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!

Revelation 9: 1-6
1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.

5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.

6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

Revelation 9: 14-16
14 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates.

15 And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.

16 And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them.

Revelation 11: 15-19
15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,

17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.

18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-10-2010).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
If you ever feel inadequate, or that forgiveness is unattainable, songs like this, and verses of assurance.

Third Day - Who I Am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxP2NEfCOWA

I need to be someone who's a lot like you
Easy to see that I sure need something new
Though I try to live life my way
I think it goes to prove
That I need to be someone who's like you
And I know that you want to change me
Want to rearrange the way I fee inside
Yes, I've heard that you take
The broken hearts of lonely souls
And you make all things right
But you know who I am
Have you seen the things I've done?
Do you know who I am?
Have you seen the things I've done?
Never before, no there's never been a time
That I would implore you to take what's yours and mine
And use it in the way you will
In any way you find
Never before did I realize
--

I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgivest the iniquity of my sin.
Psalms 32:5

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin [is] ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done [this] evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, [and] be clear when thou judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden [part] thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; [that] the bones [which] thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me [with thy] free spirit. [Then] will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: [and] my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
Psalms 51:1-14

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7-9

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:32

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-11-2010).]

ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroDirect Link to This Post
Another song about being Forgiven: Skillet Forgiven

Forgive me now cause I
Have been unfaithful
Don't ask me why cause I don't know

So many times I've tried
But was unable
But this heart belongs to you alone

Now I'm in our secret place
Alone in your embrace
Where all my wrongs have been erased
You have forgiven

All the promises and lies
All the times I compromise
All the times you were denied
You have forgiven

Forgive me I'm ashamed
I've loved another
I can't explain cause I don't know
No one can take your place
And there is no other
Forever yours and yours alone

Take me to our secret place
(We'll leave the world away)
I get down on my knees
Feel your love wash over me
There will never be another
You're the only one forever
And you know I'm yours alone

Shelby
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
My favorite Worship song is You Won't Relent by Jesus Culture (EDIT: I know the Misty Edwards version--she wrote the song--but this performance is amazing). The song is over 12 minutes, so this 10 minute clip starts about 2 minutes into it.

I strongly recommend listening. Totally awesome.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Excellent stuff Boondawg. Great foundation building stuff all of it.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled."

This one is a bigee, sort of encompasses all of it. Do we thirst and hunger, do we seek to know more? I ask myself that sometimes, am I devoting too much time elseware, not spending enough time reading, expaning my knowledge of God and his word? Time with other Christians. It seems I never get enough.

I have the same thoughts. It's really hard to answer "Am I really seeking His Face?"

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

John 1:1 - 13:

1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. 1:2 The Word was with God in the beginning. 1:3 All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created. 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of mankind. 1:5 And the light shines on in the darkness, but the darkness has not mastered it.

1:6 A man came, sent from God, whose name was John. 1:7 He came as a witness to testify about the light, so that everyone might believe through him. 1:8 He himself was not the light, but he came to testify about the light. 1:9 The true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was created by him, but the world did not recognize him. 1:11 He came to what was his own, but his own people did not receive him. 1:12 But to all who have received him – those who believe in his name – he has given the right to become God’s children 1:13 – children not born by human parents or by human desire or a husband’s decision, but by God.

Bold mine.

The pastor's sermon was about Salvation, and how we (Christians) can be glib about leading people to Christ, as in, "Should I use the "ABC" or "The Romans Road" today?" Often, we are talking to someone who is hurting deeply, while we are looking for another notch in our belt. We don't see the tree, in effect, for the forest.

Sometimes, even during the sermon, something else grabs me....

The bold section of 1:11 was what I focused on. Christ - God Incarnate - came to what was His own. His creation, fearfully and wonderfully made (PSA 139:14) didn't understand, right away, who He was. I can't imagine this. My kids often wish that they could ignore me, but I can't foresee an instance in which they don't know me. Even more so, I know Him. I know who He is, and I often act like I don't know who He is. This must be heartbreaking to Him, and even more so, knowing that, despite all the historical proofs and evidences, that there are those of His that, worse than rejecting Him, will refuse to acknowledge Him.

I can't put into words what I felt as I came into this line of thinking. I can do or say stupid stuff, and come back, like a mini prodigal son. I could even become a true prodigal, and waste years of my life out there, and He will always be waiting for me. But He knows the people, better than they know themselves, who have locked themselves away from Him for their lives - in both senses of the word. They are sending themselves into Judgment. He will bring people into their lives and show them all kinds of wonders on this Earth, and they still will not turn to Him. I ache for my children most of the time, and they are right here with me. We are His handiwork, and some of us don't know it.

That hurts.

I know that this was about edification, and my bit is sort of a downer, but that's what was there in Church for me. I need to be more of a child of His. I need to learn to hold His hand, much as I want my little ones to hold my hand in a parking lot (or, really, any time I can hold them). Many times I've prayed to be the husband and father that He wants me to be, but if, hopefully, I become more being His child, that will come, too.

Wow. That does hurt. That is really good stuff. Thank you.

And edification includes humbling us. That humbled me, thus building me up. It's a beautiful thing...

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Revelation

Revelation is actually the Book that got me into the Word right when I gave my life over to Christ.

Before then I had tried to read but I thought it was SO boring. I loved reading fictional stories, tho, and Revelation had that same epic way about it that grabbed my attention. Now I see it a little bit more clearly, but it's still holds that place in my heart as the book that brought me into the Word.

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 08-11-2010).]

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
Two of my favorites:

Sweet Sweet Spirit
The quiet, respectful worship and the peace of knowing His presence. I love the strong base voice of J. D. Sumner supporting the melody of the Jordanaires in this video.

I posted this link a while back in another thread. The old favorite: Amazing Grace. One of my favorite performances of this is by Esteban.

Here, the history of the song, its melody, and other facts that we seldom recognize. In Wintley Phipps' presentation, you can almost hear the painful voices of slaves as he conveys the deep yearning of the human spirit for freedom and for inner peace that only comes from knowing Jesus Christ as savior.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

My church has three campuses. I've attended all, and stick to the main campus usually due to its location being by my place. But one of the campuses that unfortunately was the farthest from me was built on diversity. It was about 60/40 Black/White. It was AMAZING to worship with that group of Believers. I mean I really connected with them and God in a way that I hadn't in the other church. The free spirits dancing and crying out to our Lord was seriously just phenomenal. Thank you for sharing this. I loved it.

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

Everything is an amazing song that really lifts me up. I love that skit, and have been showing it to people for ages. Thanks for reminding me!

Here's a good song: Revelation Song. I prefer the Philips Craig and Dean version. Be wary of volume on high, this isn't the best quality video

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
its odd to see so many seemingly "normal" people be so into religion (no offense, im just used to hardcore religious people being very odd.... Salvation Army Christian Retreat or whatever it was they made us go to was NOT fun lol). its like nobody's religious views interfere with the other threads...which is good. my religious views are not something worth sharing lol, so i just wanted to comment and say the above, as well as its nice to see this thread not derailed yet. i have no religion, but i have no problem with other people being religious. i cant stand people pushing their belief/lack of belief on other people....

anyways, carry on ye merry ways lol (also, DONT comment on this please, let Brennan's thread be as its meant, i simply wanted to add one simple comment expressing my....gratitude, i suppose you could say)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Some great life lessons for daily life

Ephesians 4
1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.

21Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

25Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26“In your anger do not sin”d: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Ephesians 5
8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,

James 1
13When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

16Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers. 17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. 21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.
PFF
System Bot
fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
A poem I wrote, inspired by Luke 18:9-14. It is my favorite scripture because it reveals the heart of God so perfectly:

The Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee

The tax collector and the Pharisee
were different as night is from midday;
in keeping with conventionality,
both went up to the temple mount to pray.

The Pharisee was given great respect,
revered by all as their religious chief;
the tax collector was a mere reject,
considered by the town a petty thief.

The Pharisee said, “I’m a righteous man.”
To God he started boasting of himself,
“I follow scripture to the letter, and
I fast, and pay the tithe of all my wealth.

I am not like that tax collector there-
and Lord, for that I humbly give you thanks;
for it would be beyond what I could bear
to count myself among that scoundrel’s ranks!”

The tax collector shook as unto death,
too penitent to look up to the sky;
and then he cried to God with all his breath,
“Have mercy on a sinner such as I!”

The two men finished praying and withdrew,
one humble, and the other full of pride.
Now here’s the question that I pose to you:
Which one do you think went home justified?

[This message has been edited by fogglethorpe (edited 08-12-2010).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The comfort that I enjoy is multi-fold. I am blessed in my life and on many levels. Both from material point of view, and opportunities to serve others and God point of view.

But, objectively the overriding joy in life is the expectation of Jesus' return. When I see the suffering in the world, the cruelty and hate, and the desecration of the earth in so many places, I realize that Jesus will return and the innocents, and the redeemed will be removed from their tribulation.

While there are many who have relative ease in life, I recognize that there are many more who are in tribulation.

I have studied the events of the 20th century and I have concluded that Jesus will return, likely in my lifetime. I was born the year after the re-establishment of the State of Israel. I have put much of, but not all of, my research in this website. http://www.jesusisreturningsoon.com/

If you read it objectively, in the context of world events in the last 150 years, you will see the reason for my belief in the soon return of the Christ.
That is the true edification regardless of circumstances that overtake us, that we will inherit the Kingdom of God.

There is much interpretation of Prophecy out there, but, what sets it all in motion is that one great act of God which will fulfill the statements of Jesus.

Arn
fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
Prophecy is difficult to understand and interpret. Even scholars have some major disagreements about that. But the Bible is clear on how we should prepare, and that's what matters.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

The bear will be gentle
And the wolf will be tame
And the lion shall lay down, down by the lamb
And the beasts from the wild
Shall be led by a child
And I'll be changed, changed from this creature that I am.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-12-2010).]

stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
I have two daily reading delivered to both my work & home e-mails daily. As I'm not overly good about doing a daily reading on my own this helps me. By having BOLD unread e-mails in my inbox it is a constant reminder when I check my e-mail that I have or have not done my daily devotions. I currently recieve one called God Pause - It's a short bible reading with eather a short story, deeper meaning to go with it by a varriity of folks. The second on I recive is my longer reading is the Daily Lectioinary that provides; 1 Old 2 New Testament readings as well as a morning & eving Psalm. I also try to meet with a hand full of other Christian men once a week (Wed.) for about an hour to keep us accountable. IIt's a loosely orginized group. Sometimes we talk, listen, eat, coffee, read & study. No matter the direction it goes it starts and ends in prayer.

------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fogglethorpe:

Prophecy is difficult to understand and interpret. Even scholars have some major disagreements about that. But the Bible is clear on how we should prepare, and that's what matters.

Amen.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread. Let's keep it going. I'll contribute more when the spirit moves me.

Jim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by stumpkin:

I also try to meet with a hand full of other Christian men once a week (Wed.) for about an hour to keep us accountable. IIt's a loosely orginized group. Sometimes we talk, listen, eat, coffee, read & study. No matter the direction it goes it starts and ends in prayer.

I do this every other Tuesday, that combined with Sunday church, and some christian radio stations during the work week help keep me in fellowship, and keeps my heart reminded of what is important.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Lyrics: Peter Rowan
Music: Peter Rowan

If you ever feel lonesome
And you're down in San Antone
Beg, steal, or borrow
Two nickels or a dime to call me on the phone
I'll meet you at Alamo Mission
Where we can say our prayers
The Holy Ghost and the Virgin Mother will heal us
As we kneel there

Chorus
In the moonlight
In the midnight
In the moonlight midnight moonlight
In the moonlight
In the midnight
In the moonlight midnight moonlight

If you ever feel sorrow
For the deeds you have done
With no hope for tomorrow
In the setting of the sun
And the ocean is howling
For the things that might have been
And that last good morning sunrise
Will be the brightest you've ever seen

[chorus]

If you ever feel sorrow
For the deeds you have done
With no hope for tomorrow
In the setting of the sun
And the ocean is howling
For the things that might have been
And that last good morning sunrise
Will be the brightest you've ever seen

I know its not a bible verse or anything, but this song means a lot to me and my beliefs. By the way, Peter Rowan is part of the Grateful Dead family.. very spiritual.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
What do you guys think of the gift of speaking in tongues being regularly present in some modern churches?

Yes, this is getting to controversial ground so I don't want a debate just some opinions and Bible verses backing your position.

1 CORINTHIANS 12:8-11 says:
For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

So I do believe that there exists the Spiritual Gift of speaking in tongues, however in the Bible, for every time there was a person speaking in tongues, there was an interpreter.

Also, it was a very uncommon miracle for someone to start speaking a language that directly converses with God.

So MY take based on those things is that it definitely exists, but is a very uncommon occurrence that I will likely not ever see in my lifetime. I don't understand how, in some communities, there appears to be an abundance of occurrences of this miracle.

Please understand, I mean no disrespect. I'm just trying to further my understanding of God.. part of seeking His Face.
PFF
System Bot
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
I don't think much more needs to be said on the topic than the following:

1 Corinthians 14
Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

13For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.

18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21In the Law it is written:
"Through men of strange tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand[g] or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand[h]comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

26What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. 38If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored.[i]

39Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

86fierofun

3650 posts
Member since Aug 2004
And, BTW, there is a difference in speaking in a tongue, and just saying garbly gook.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I'm struggling in the Word. I haven't been reading at all, even though I have plenty of time to do so. Please pray for me.

Prayer requests anyone??

- Brennan
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I'm struggling in the Word. I haven't been reading at all, even though I have plenty of time to do so. Please pray for me.

Prayer requests anyone??

- Brennan

Same here, I've been trying to do the bible in a year but I'm already way behind... also bump to keep this alive

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Prayer requests anyone??

- Brennan

Prayers for you.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Some verses to hopefully inspire coming back.

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Galatians 4:9

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Matthew 5:13

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
Matthew 18:20

And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
Luke 24:32

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
John 15:4-5

http://bibletopics.com/topics.htm
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 09-08-2010).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Some verses to hopefully inspire coming back.

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Galatians 4:9

I don't know if it was for Bdub, but this one sure worked for me. Thanks 2.5, that's what I have been needing. I have been in Matthew for months, time to bounce and get some fresh perspective.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:
My mother's favorite passage....I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I get it wrong somewhere. I grew up listening to it.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. Search me, Oh God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139, if memory serves me well.

From my lips to his ears...

2 for 2 today in this thread. Good stuff.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock