Christian Edification by theBDub
Started on: 08-09-2010 03:51 AM
Replies: 92
Last post by: yellowstone on 03-06-2012 05:30 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvKOgCrag8

I recommend The Truth Project

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-01-2010).]

IP: Logged
kyunderdawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I'm struggling in the Word. I haven't been reading at all, even though I have plenty of time to do so. Please pray for me.

Prayer requests anyone??

- Brennan

10-4, Brennan. Hang in there.

Been goin' through some nasty stuff myself. Don't want to bore anyone with the details .

Don't know if anyone has heard of these guys, but this skit put some things in perspective for me.

The Skit Guys: God's Chisel

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 09-03-2010).]

hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I doubly recommend this, I've seen it twice now and would watch it again... not something I would watch alone though it's more for a small group to discuss
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I just watched this promo and it looks really good! I have to look into it to find where I can watch it for free haha.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Jesus Christ: Myth or Genuine History?
http://www.christiancourier...h-or-genuine-history

A critic of the Bible has written the following in an attempt to cast a reflection upon the historicity of the Gospel records regarding Jesus:

Rome was one of the most bureaucratic civilizations in history. The Romans kept records about every detail of life—births, marriages, adoptions, taxes, olive production, and legal documents. Along with the Roman legions, the official government records were a means to control the lands and peoples they conquered. So why is there a total absence of official Roman records concerning Jesus? At the very least, should not there be a record of the trial and the crucifixion? All the historical references to Jesus are all many decades later.

The foregoing is a prime example of how skeptics speak “off the top of their heads,” with no earthly idea as to the actual facts. The implication is that sufficient data relating to Christ are unavailable.

Before we examine the record, we might whimsically respond with an ad hominem point. Could this critic supply, from the Roman records “about every detail of life,” information concerning “olive production” in Palestine for the year 4 B.C.?

Extant Historical Records
The late Dr. E.M. Blaiklock, a New Zealand scholar, taught Latin, Greek, and the ancient classics for more than forty years. He was recognized internationally for his scholarship. In a brilliant essay titled, “Surviving Literature from the First Century,” Professor Blaiklock has demonstrated that there are almost no primary documents that survey the period that embraces the life of Christ.

For instance, “parts of one unimportant historical work” have survived from the era that parallels the Lord’s earthly life. Velleius Paterculus (ca. 19 B.C. – A.D. 30), a retired army officer and “amateur historian,” produced a “badly written history of Rome” covering that age from the end of the Trojan War to the death of Livia (A.D. 29).

From the forties A.D., through the sixties, very little survives. Blaiklock described the dearth of material in this fashion:

Bookends set a foot apart on this desk where I write would enclose the works from those significant years. Curiously, much of it comes from Spanish emigrants in Rome (1974, 12-13).

It was during this time frame that the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke—together with much of the balance of the New Testament—were being produced. These works provide far more information about the condition of Palestine in the first century than anything that issued from Rome. And there is a way to illustrate this in a most dramatic fashion.

Pontius Pilate
Pontius Pilate was the ruler of Judea from A.D. 26-36. His technical title was “prefect,” a term used with precision by the Gospel writers. Pilate is mentioned in the New Testament by name about twenty times. Aside from these references, there is very little historical information about the man.

Two Jewish writers—Philo (ca. 20 B.C. – A.D. 50) and Josephus (ca. A.D. 37-95)—mention him briefly, and describe the ineptness of his administration. Philo depicts the ruler as “inflexible and relentlessly severe,” noting that he dedicated shields with the emperor’s name in Herod’s temple (The Mission to Gaius 38).

Josephus records that Pilate marched Roman troops, with their pagan standards, into Jerusalem, and that he financed a water supply out of the temple treasury (Antiquities of the Jews 18.3.1-2). He further notes that the Roman governor attacked a group of Samaritans on Mt. Gerizim, killing and capturing a host of them. For this outburst he was called to Rome and relieved of his position (The Wars of the Jews 18.4.1-2). The manner of his death is not known for certain, though Eusebius, a fourth-century historian, asserted that he committed suicide (Ecclesiastical History 2.7).

Tacitus (ca. A.D. 60-120), a Roman historian, mentions Pilate only one time, and that incidentally. He contended that the “Christians” derived their name from “Christus,” who “was executed at the hands of Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius” (The Annals xv.44).

In 1961, a team of archaeologists from Milan, Italy were excavating at Caesarea, just north of modern Tel Aviv. They had been focused upon the huge amphitheater that initially was built by Herod the Great (ca. 73 – 4 B.C.). Among these ruins, archaeologists discovered a limestone slab. It was thirty-two inches high, twenty-seven inches wide, and eight inches thick. A partial inscription was clearly visible. It was not difficult to decipher the complete message. A free translation reads:

The Tiberieum [a temple dedicated to Tiberias] of the Caesareans Pontius Pilate Praefect of Judea has given.

Alan Millard, Professor of Hebrew and Ancient Semitic Languages at the University of Liverpool, has observed that this represents “the only known inscription from his lifetime naming Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor who ordered the crucifixion of Jesus” (1997, 327) (emphasis added).

Let the significance of this sink in—in light of the criticism mentioned at the beginning of this piece. Here was a man who served the Roman government for ten years in one of the political hotspots of the empire. He himself was embroiled repeatedly in controversy. And yet, there is not a solitary Roman archival document that so much as mentions his name!

How, then, could anyone possibly cast a shadow of suspicion upon the Gospel records, due to the fact that there is scant Roman testimony regarding a Galilean religious teacher who lived more than 1,500 hundred miles to the east?

The Gospel Narratives
Why is it that liberal scholars are anxious to bend over backwards in granting credibility to numerous events of ancient history (many of which are undergirded by the scantest of evidence) yet they obstinately resist granting virtually any audience to the New Testament writings? There can be but one answer: they are militantly biased against the biblical records, hence, reject their veracity—no matter how compelling the evidence!

A.N. Sherwin-White was one of Oxford’s premier historians on Roman culture. In his valuable work, Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament (1978, 186), the professor demonstrated that the Gospels and Acts are much more historically credible than the common works of the Roman world. For example, the New Testament narratives were written by men who were contemporary with the events they recorded. On the other hand, Plutarch’s Lives of the Noble Romans stands two centuries from the actual events, and Livy’s History of Rome is 500 years this side of its theme. Yet no one doubts the value of these works.

It is readily apparent that the New Testament is not given anything remotely resembling a fair, literary treatment; nevertheless, it passes the credibility test brilliantly.

Sources/Footnotes
Blaiklock, E.M. 1974. Jesus Christ: Man or Myth? Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.
Millard, Alan. 1997. Wonders and Discoveries of the Bible. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.
Ramsay, William. 1979. The Bearing of Recent Discovery on the Trustworthiness of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
Rawlinson, George. 1877. The Historical Evidences of the Truth of the Scripture Records. New York, NY: Sheldon & Co.
Sherwin-White, A.N. 1978. Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Jesus Christ: Myth or Genuine History?

http://www.christiancourier...h-or-genuine-history

A critic of the Bible has written the following in an attempt to cast a reflection upon the historicity of the Gospel records regarding Jesus:

In 1961, a team of archaeologists from Milan, Italy were excavating at Caesarea, just north of modern Tel Aviv. They had been focused upon the huge amphitheater that initially was built by Herod the Great (ca. 73 – 4 B.C.). Among these ruins, archaeologists discovered a limestone slab. It was thirty-two inches high, twenty-seven inches wide, and eight inches thick. A partial inscription was clearly visible. It was not difficult to decipher the complete message. A free translation reads:

The Tiberieum [a temple dedicated to Tiberias] of the Caesareans Pontius Pilate Praefect of Judea has given.

Alan Millard, Professor of Hebrew and Ancient Semitic Languages at the University of Liverpool, has observed that this represents “the only known inscription from his lifetime naming Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor who ordered the crucifixion of Jesus” (1997, 327) (emphasis added).

Sources/Footnotes
Blaiklock, E.M. 1974. Jesus Christ: Man or Myth? Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.
Millard, Alan. 1997. Wonders and Discoveries of the Bible. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.
Ramsay, William. 1979. The Bearing of Recent Discovery on the Trustworthiness of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
Rawlinson, George. 1877. The Historical Evidences of the Truth of the Scripture Records. New York, NY: Sheldon & Co.
Sherwin-White, A.N. 1978. Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.

Luke 19:37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying: " 'Blessed [is] the King who comes in the name of the LORD!' Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" 39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples." 40 But He answered and said to them, "I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out."

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 09-12-2010).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

I've been praying and reading the Word more than a few weeks ago. Really getting back to my roots. Thanks for all the prayers.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
I wanna play . Just a few of my favorites from Casting Crowns......

Who Am I \/ \/ \/

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 10-13-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Marks of the True Christian

Romans 12:9-21

Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." To the contrary, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Heard this song today, it is a great song, can't get to a video today, but found the lyrics.

This song is about the constant barrage of things this world has to distract from what our focus should be.

"Slow Fade"
By CASTING CROWNS

Be careful little eyes what you see
It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
Be careful little feet where you go
For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you're thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking

Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day

Oh be careful little eyes what see
Oh be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh be careful little eyes what you see

--

Verses:

When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee: To deliver thee from the way of the evil...
Proverbs 2:10-12

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren.
James 1:14-16

Neither yield ye your members [as] instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members [as] instruments of righteousness unto God.
Romans 6:13

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:1-2

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-18-2010).]

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that, 2.5.

Bdub......+ to you brother.....for starting this thread.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to share this story. Truly amazing how God speaks to us when we just open our ears. Check it:

So I was really getting beat up about Phil. Then school work just looming in front of me was blasting me... it seemed impossible to just get back on track with all this stuff going on.

I just opened up my Bible to talk to God and hear what he had to say... Job's words reflected my thoughts perfectly:

Job 6: 8-13
"Oh that I might have my request, and that God would fulfill my hope, that it would please God to crush me, that he would let loose his hand and cut me off! This would be my comfort; I would even exult in pain unsparing, for I have not denied the words of the Holy One. What is my strength, that I should wait? And what is my end, that I should be patient? Is my strength the strength of stones, or is my flesh bronze? Have I any help in me, when resource is driven from me?

I thought.. man... NOT the thing I need to read at this time God! But then I kept reading.. to Bildad's response:

If you will seek God and plead with the Almighty for mercy, if you are pure and upright, surely then he will rouse himself for you and restore your rightful habitation. And though your beginning was small, your latter days will be very great. For inquire, please, of bygone ages, and consider what the fathers have searched out. For we are but of yesterday and know nothing, for our days on earth are a shadow. Will they not teach you and tell you and utter words out of their understanding?

Basically, stay faithful and look to the past for your answers. And I thought about my past... and how I've had similarly stressful times. Time that God helped me through with Scripture.

In other words, I was looking for some fresh answer when God had already solved my problem before! At the time I remembered a handful of awesome verses that don't come to me now.

But it was truly amazing. Holy is our LORD, God Almighty!
nellieship

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nellieshipClick Here to visit nellieship's HomePageSend a Private Message to nellieshipDirect Link to This Post
posted this on fb a couple days ago - awesome group i had never listened to before - sidewalk prophets. this song just really hit home for me. been struggling with where God is in this mess of a life I have and why He didn't DO something to help us. this song is a good reminder that He is "moving all the while" even when we doubt Him, even when we don't feel Him, even when we don't turn to Him. it's awesome. i bought the whole album on itunes - worth EVERY PENNY

Moving All The While lyrics

In the morning as I wake
I pray my eyes do see
On this narrow road I walk
You have made a path for me
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
You were moving all the while
In sickness and in doubt
Or questions that may raise
You claimed victory on the cross
And You filled my lungs with praise
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
On a dark and silent night
Above Your beauty shines
And Your peace shall fill the earth
By Your love we are refined
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Through all the bitter storms
Whatever comes our way
You will guide this vessel home
To live for all my days
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

------------------
Nellie - forever Tyler's mommy

nellieship

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nellieshipClick Here to visit nellieship's HomePageSend a Private Message to nellieshipDirect Link to This Post

nellieship

479 posts
Member since Nov 2009
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

[/QUOTE

praise you in this storm..... thank you.....

------------------
Nellie - forever Tyler's mommy

doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nellieship:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

[/QUOTE

praise you in this storm..... thank you.....

I love that song. 3 years ago I lost my brother to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and this is one of the songs we sang at his Funeral. Every time I hear it I think of Larry.

This is a tribute to my brother Larry

'Homesick' by MercyMe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvhrPMJe8LE

Doug

I can't figure out how to embed this so I went with the link

[This message has been edited by doug.s (edited 10-21-2010).]

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

been struggling with where God is in this mess of a life I have and why He didn't DO something to help us.

Read through the story of Joseph in Genesis. Starts at Gen. 37. Read to the end of Genesis. You will see, that no matter how bad things seem, that there is nothing more true than this:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

In everything, everything, God will bring good to those who love him. Like Joseph, it may be years before you see it, but it will come. Bear patiently in God's love.

James 5 : 7-11
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

Romans 5 : 2-5
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Believe me. He did DO something to help you. Just maybe not in the way you wanted. In ALL things, God works for the GOOD of those who LOVE him.

[This message has been edited by 86fierofun (edited 10-22-2010).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

Read through the story of Joseph in Genesis. Starts at Gen. 37. Read to the end of Genesis. You will see, that no matter how bad things seem, that there is nothing more true than this:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

In everything, everything, God will bring good to those who love him. Like Joseph, it may be years before you see it, but it will come. Bear patiently in God's love.

James 5 : 7-11
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

Romans 5 : 2-5
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Believe me. He did DO something to help you. Just maybe not in the way you wanted. In ALL things, God works for the GOOD of those who LOVE him.

Nellie, on a semi-related note, I want to share this passage with you as well.

Hebrews 12:1-13

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”

It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.

Sometimes we are thrown challenges into our lives because He loves us. Remember that He is always there.
doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post

been struggling with where God is in this mess of a life I have and why He didn't DO something to help us.

I went through those feeling also. Not so much when my bro died but when I was in my 20's I went through a divorce that I didn't want. My ex decided I wasn't the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. I questioned God why he would allow that to happen. It was at this time when I finally meet Jesus at the cross and gave Him complete control of my life. Now that didn't mean things would get easier, but God did give me peace to endure. It took me quite a few years to heal enough to trust a woman again but thanks to Gods grace I get to celebrate 20 years with my bride this coming November. Now I know the getting a divorce is no comparison to losing Tyler and I'm so sorry for your loss. I do know the God is the God of comfort and peace, and I also know He wants to hear our struggles. One of his Old Testament names is 'Abba' which literally translates to 'Daddy' This means you can crawl up on his lap he'll hold you close while you question him and get mad at him but he'll still love you with an unconditional love that goes 'As far as the east if from the west'

While I was going through my struggles, a friend of mine gave me Max Lucado's 'No Wonder They Call Him The Savior' It chronicles Jesus' life and all the struggles He went through just to come to earth as a man and choose to endure the cross just so you and I could have eternal life. There's a chapter titled 'The fog of a broken heart' and it deals with tragedies we go through in life and how we can learn to turn to Jesus. This chapter got me through some really tough and lonely nights.

Hope this wasn't to preachy

Doug

[This message has been edited by doug.s (edited 10-22-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

Psalm 39

1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

2 I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.

3 My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,

4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am.

5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.

6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.

7 And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee.

8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.

9 I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst it.

10 Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand.

11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah.

12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.

13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.

Psalm 51

1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.

Psalm 63

1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:

6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.

7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

10 They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

11 But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
1st Kings 19:10-14, Matthew 6:5-6.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
A recent email I received.
60 seconds with God...

For the next 60 seconds, set aside whatever
you're doing and take this opportunity!
Let's see if Satan can stop this...

THE (SCIENTIFIC) DEATH OF JESUS

At the age of 33,
Jesus was condemned to the death penalty.

At the time crucifixion was the "worst" death. Only the worst criminals
condemned to be crucified. Yet it was

even more dreadful for Jesus, for unlike other criminals condemned to death
by
crucifixion Jesus was nailed to the cross by His hands and feet, rather than
tied...

Each nail
was 6 to 8 inches long.

The nails
were driven into His wrist. Not
into His palms as is commonly
portrayed. There's a tendon in the wrist that
extends to the shoulder. The Roman guards knew
that when the nails were being hammered into the
Wrist, that tendon would tear and
break, forcing Jesus to use His back
muscles to support himself, so that He could breathe.

Both of His feet
were nailed together. Thus He was forced to
support Himself on the single nail that
impaled His feet to the cross. Jesus could
not support himself with His legs for long because of the pain, so He was
forced
to alternate between arching His

back and using his legs just to continue to
breath. Imagine the struggle, the pain, the
suffering, the courage.

Jesus endured this
reality for over 3 hours.
Yes,
over 3 hours! Can you imagine this kind of
suffering? A few minutes before He died,
Jesus stopped bleeding. He was simply pouring water
from his wounds.

From common images we see wounds to His hands and feet and even the spear
wound
to His side...
But do we remember the many wounds
made to his body. A hammer
driving large nails through the wrists, the feet overlapped
and a nail hammered through the arches, then a
Roman guard piercing His side with a spear. And...
before the nails and the spear, Jesus was whipped and
beaten. The whipping was so severe that it tore the
flesh from His body. The beating so horrific that His
face was torn and his beard ripped from His face. The
crown of thorns (two to three inch thorns) cut deeply into His scalp. Most
men
would not have survived this torture.

He had no more blood to bleed out, only water poured from His
wounds. The human adult body contains about 3.5 liters
(just less than a gallon) of blood.

Jesus poured all 3.5 liters of his blood; He had three nails hammered into
His
members; a crown of thorns on His head and, beyond that, a Roman soldier who
stabbed a spear into His chest..

All these without
mentioning the humiliation He passed after carrying His own
cross for almost 2 kilometers, while the crowd spat in his
face and threw stones (the cross beam was almost 30 kg of weight, to which
His
hands were nailed).

Jesus had to endure this experience, so that you may have free access to
God.

So that your sins can be "washed" away. All of them, with no exception!
Don't ignore this.

JESUS
CHRIST DIED...FOR YOU!

For you, who now read this e-mail.
Do not believe that He only died for others
(those who go to church or for pastors, bishops, etc).

He died for you!
It is easy to e-mail jokes or silly photos, but when it comes to God,
sometimes we feel ashamed to forward a message about Him on
to others.
We are worried of what they may think.

Accept the reality, the truth, that
JESUS IS THE ONLY SALVATION FOR THE WORLD.

God has special plans for YOU! Share this with all your friends...
about what He went through to save you.
Really think about it!

May God bless you!

For the next 60 seconds, set aside what you're doing and take
this opportunity! Let's see if Satan can stop this.

All you have to do is:

1. Pray for the person who sent this message to you.
2. Send this message to 10 people...More if you wish.

3.That way, 10 people will pray for you and you will encourage many people
to pray to God for others.

4. Take a moment to appreciate the power of God in your life, as you do what
pleases Him.

If you are not ashamed to do this, please, follow Jesus' instructions.
He said (Matthew 10:32 & 33): "Everyone therefore
who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge
before My Father in heaven; but whosoever denies Me
before others, I also will deny before My
Father in heaven".

If you don’t believe, delete it! If you believe, send this message... But
send
it only if you believe in Christ Jesus as your Lord and Savior.

Yes, I love God. He is my source of life and my Savior.
He keeps me alive and safe, both day and night.

Without Him, I am nothing, but with Him "I can do all things through Him
who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13.

Kind regards

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Billy Graham: No conflict with faith and science
http://www.floridatoday.com...?source=nletter-news

QUESTION: Can I be a scientist and still believe in God? Science fascinates me and I plan to study it when I get to college next year, but my physics teacher says I'll have to give up believing in God and in Jesus if I pursue a career in science. Is he right?

ANSWER: No, he is not right. In fact, over the years, some of the most committed Christians I have ever met were also outstanding scientists. To them, all creation was a witness to God's power and wisdom. Like the Psalmist, they realized that "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands" (Psalm 19:1).

There is no conflict between science and faith -- not if we understand them properly. Science deals only with physical reality -- with things we can see and touch. But science is limited; it can't tell us about spiritual reality -- with things that can't be seen or touched. And yet God is real, and so is the human soul or spirit. In fact, God is more real than the things we see around us, because some day they all will vanish -- but God still will remain.

Don't apologize for your faith in Christ, and don't let the arguments of those who refuse to believe in God unsettle you. Instead, make it your goal to grow stronger in your faith, as you read God's sord and pray and have fellowship with other believers. Remember: In Christ "are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Colossians 2:3).

Then seek God's will for your future -- not only for your career, but where you will go to college. And when you get there, seek out other Christians who can encourage you and help you stay strong in your faith.

Visit billygraham.org.

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
I don't consider myself a christian Or religious man.. Atho,, I have read the bible a few times and in my soul I believe in the teaching is has..
I am just going to say I have my own believes..

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

This is an interesting interview from an atheist who actually seems to understand how we should live our lives more than many of us do... it's alarming, disturbing, convicting, and enlightening. I've only watched 10 minutes so far out of the hour long interview, but was astounded by this atheist man. I encourage you all to watch it and meditate on it...

What does it mean when the atheist understands how important it is to witness more than a Christian? That time is here...
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I'll watch it later on tonight.

Although I've been watching an excellent historically correct documentary on Jesus and the early Christians.

I have never believed that Jesus was the son of God since I was a little boy and I still don't. The documentary just reinforces what I already know. But it's always interesting to learn more about the ancient crazy Jewish Rabbi, known as Jesus and just bewildered that people actually worship this person.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I'll watch it later on tonight.

Although I've been watching an excellent historically correct documentary on Jesus and the early Christians.

I have never believed that Jesus was the son of God since I was a little boy and I still don't. The documentary just reinforces what I already know. But it's always interesting to learn more about the ancient crazy Jewish Rabbi, known as Jesus and just bewildered that people actually worship this person.

What's the title?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

What's the title?

From Jesus to Christ (4-hours)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pag...line/shows/religion/

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
"We Live" by superchick.

"There's a cross on the side of the road
Where a mother lost her son
How could she know that the morning he left
Would be the last time she'd trade with him for a little more time
(so she could say she loved him one last time)
And hold him tight
But with life we never know when we're coming up to the end of the road
So what do we do then
With tragedy around the bend

We live, we love, we forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
And today we remember to live and to love

There's a man who waits for the tests to
See if the cancer had spread yet
And now he asks why did I wait to live 'til it was time to die
If I could have the time back, how I'd live
Life is such a gift
So how does the story end?
Well, this is your story and it all depends
So don't let it become true
Get out and do what we were meant to do

Waking up to another dark morning
People are mourning
The weather in life outside is storming
But what would it take for the clouds to break
For us to realize each day
Is a gift somehow, someway
And get our heads up out of this darkness
And spark this new mindset and start on with life cuz it ain't gone yet
And tragedy's a reminder to take off the blinders and wake up
(to live the life)
We're supposed to take up
(moving forward)
With all our heads up
Cuz life is worth living

And today we remember to live and to love "

---

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this the first commandment. And the second like, this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
Mark 12:30-31

Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
Proverbs 10:12

And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. "If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return,
Luke 6:31-
PFF
System Bot
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
Jethro Tull, "Windup".
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
Jason Grey - More Like Falling in Love

Skillet - Lucy

At a recent concert (2010) John Cooper explained that the song Lucy was about a young couple who find themselves expecting a child. They aren't ready to be parents; so, they decide to have an abortion. Some months later, after dealing with depression and great sadness, they decide to seek a counselor. The counselor tells them they need to treat the abortion as a death in the family and grieve as such. The couple buy a casket, a headstone, and a cemetery plot and hold a funeral, which they do...for the baby they come to name Lucy. The song deals with their feelings of regret, but the hope that they will see her someday in heaven.

------------------

My Designs
My Videos
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
98 Golf K2 5-speed 2.0
Minivan Drivers; they're good for fertilizer. Thats all.

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna leave this thread alone Not for lack of things to say but for other reasons...

I really have no idea why I even bothered opening it...

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 01-22-2011).]

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

I'm gonna leave this thread alone

With all due respect, Brian, please do. Some of us do struggle with being more Christ like while dealing with things in this world. Of all people I'd think you'd understand how hard it is to be one before you changed your views. Not flamming you, Brian......I think you know me better than that from my PM's.

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:
I really have no idea why I even bothered opening it...

With a topic titled Christian Edification you should've known better.

Paul

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 01-22-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Many on the forum have heard about my mom by now. If you haven't, check this out. With friends, family, and forum members and their families all praying, I have seriously felt the power. It's amazing. I feel so strong and supported. I feel so affirmed.

God is really strengthening in my family right now. He truly is the rock we are supporting on. And it's awesome.

I just wanted to share that.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I went to church service tonight for the first time in a long time. I haven't been living a Christian life... and today was more about meeting a girl than God.. at first.

I watched how others worshiped and saw how they meant it. I haven't felt that in too long. It made me feel like I was coming home. I didn't even know anybody there but one guy who I'm not really friends with. It wasn't the message, it wasn't the people, it was just being there and seeing God working in others' lives. It changed a lot for me. My life is changing right now; I can feel it. I just needed that.

It was good. I realized a lot about myself. And I regained purpose. I just wanted to share that. It's a lot more meaningful to me than it seems on here. I don't really know how to express how much my thoughts are changing right now. It was just good.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

A recent email I received.
60 seconds with God...

THE (SCIENTIFIC) DEATH OF JESUS

At the age of 33,
Jesus was condemned to the death penalty.

Jesus endured this
reality for over 3 hours.
Yes,
over 3 hours! Can you imagine this kind of
suffering? A few minutes before He died,
Jesus stopped bleeding. He was simply pouring water
from his wounds.

wow your god-man lasted 3 whole hours
when most people take 3 or more DAYS to die on a cross
and then were left in place to rot by law
as it was against roman law to remove anyone from a cross
and also forbidden to bury a bone from the rotting body

I think the whole thing was FAKED if it happened at all

BTW the bible claims at JC's death
the dead rose up and walked
real zombies in the streets
BUT NOBODY NOTICED or reported on that
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

Ray, please leave this thread alone.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

Wow, I really feel sorry for you. I don't know if it was 3 hours or not, but you, or I for that matter, wouldn't last 3 minutes undergoing the torture he endured. He was unrecognizable as a man, let alone Jesus, when they were done with him. I find it interesting that you poke your head in this thread, clearly knowing what it's about. Keep searching Ray. His forgiveness is there for you too.

Jim

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock