Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Audit: NJ Turnpike Wasted Millions On Perks (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Audit: NJ Turnpike Wasted Millions On Perks by avengador1
Started on: 10-21-2010 04:03 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: theogre on 10-27-2010 06:59 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Who do they think they are? California?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/...ployees-20101019-apx

MYFOXNY.COM - Auditors say the New Jersey Turnpike Authority wasted $43 million on unneeded perks and bonuses. In one case, an employee with a base salary of $73,469 earned $321,985 when all payouts and bonuses were included.

The audit says that toll dollars From the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway were spent on items ranging from an employee bowling league to employee bonuses for working on birthdays and holidays.

It took place as tolls were being increased.

The biggest expense uncovered in the audit was $30 million in unjustified bonuses to employees and management in 2008 and 2009 without consideration of performance.

One example was paying employees overtime for removing snow and working holidays and then giving additional "snow removal bonuses" and "holiday bonuses."

The Comptroller's Office audit released Tuesday says taxpayers also paid $430,000 for free E-ZPass transponders for employees to get to work and nearly $90,000 in scholarships for workers' kids.

The audit shows turnpike authority employees got bonuses and overtime for working their birthdays and holidays.

Comptroller Matt Boxer says tolls are set for another increase in 2012.

"While tolls are going up, the Turnpike Authority is overpaying its employees, overpaying its management, overpaying for its health plan and overpaying for legal services," Boxer said in a statement.

Public money was also used to cover costs for a toll operators event that none of the authority's employees actually attended.

Another audit finding was that employees were allowed to cash out a portion of their unused sick and vacation days at the end of the year to circumvent the current $15,000 limit for sick leave payouts upon retirement. That cost $3.8 million a year.

Among the questionable legal expenses was a billing for $111,840 for a law firm's weekly internal status meetings that were generally attended by 10 to 15 of the firm's attorneys and two to three of its paralegals.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
bump
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
And why was this found later and not during the the process? This type of of stealing is usually done by politicians
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
So? Join the crowd...
DE Turnpike
De River and Bay Auth
Philly bridge group
Garden State Parkway
SEPTA

All waist and steal money and hike the toll/fare anyway.

IE nothing new here...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-22-2010).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
N J is run by a GOP governor

turnpikes toll roads are a GOP idea

liberals favor FREEways
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

liberals favor FREEways

Really? What is free about a freeway?

Here in MI, the democrats wanted to take over control of the Mac. Bridge, which is currently a toll bridge. I am glad to say it didn't happen, otherwise the bridge would look like the rest of the FREEways.... all potholed and falling apart
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Ray..FYI the NJ governor was just elected recently. Following the Obama mantra, it was the previous administration ( a democrat if you recall) it was his fault for all of NJ's problems.

What D wants to give anything free..only when they redistribute taxpayer money to the useless society parasites..just look into a mirror to see one.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

liberals favor FREEways

Yes, and under any former Dem admin, it was never discovered.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

liberals favor FREEways

How delusional can you get? The NEW GOP Governor is hard at work fixing this kind of crap that was set-up when the Corrupt former governors (McGreevy and Corizine both rated as the most corrupt politicians in America....and Democrats - DUH! ) and his union buddies conspired to bilk the citizens with this non-sense.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Yes, and under any former Dem admin, it was never discovered.

Reason why there was an audit because of the Republican gov. If Dems still had it, especially the old Democrat Banker, the talks would be about how much to increase the turnpike budget.

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

liberals favor FREEways

the forum idiot gives us all another good laugh, bravo!
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

So? Join the crowd...
DE Turnpike

I love how DE phucks the tourist industry by doubling the fares on route 1 during the weekend, and half the time the road is bumper to bumper stopped. i've actually gotten off at the dover airforce base onto 13 and drove 13 all the way up and over the st georges bridge to avoid, what $6 for a car to drive that small stretch of road? and if your hauling a boat or a camper, god they nail you for every axle.

Same thing with the Innerstate 95 Susquanna bridge, for me being 30 mins away from it in PA years ago I was able to circumvent the toll by getting off and driving up interstate rte 1 and crossing the dam, 1 exit sooner... most of the turnpike tolls were there to pay off the original cost of building the turnpike, now they use it to rape people using the roads.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
The worst is NY. Who the hell pays $8 to cross a damn bridge.
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

N J is run into the ground by a democrat governor

turnpikes toll roads are mostly private.

liberals favor YOUPAYFORMYways

fix'd

[This message has been edited by HI-TECH (edited 10-24-2010).]

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post

N J is run by a GOP governor...

...a governor who took office in Jan. 2010. The first Republican governor since Jan. 2002. The Dems had 8 years to disclose the issues, but did not. This new guy has been in office for 9 months and is making making efforts to fix it. Good for him and hopefully good things for our friends in Jersey. If not, at least he tried, which is more than some of his predecessors have done.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Wait till they start putting in high speed trains
The ones that are currently available have been bleeding money, how do you think they plan on funding new ones? The government will take care of them, we never have a problem with the government waisting money.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Who do they think they are? California?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/...ployees-20101019-apx

Irony. It never ceases to amuse and amaze. From Wikipedia (politically biased, I know. ) Floridas turnpike, aka the Ronald Reagan turnpike, comprises 460 miles of Florida highway. All toll road in California combined equal less then 75 miles of road.

Can you please shut the **** up about California, please? Please? With mother****ing sugar on top? We are a large portion of this nations economy and population. Not a punchline to your asinine "jokes".
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I take it you don't like California being the punchline of jokes. The problem is that what is going on there makes it easy for everyone to joke about it, even Leno jokes about it and he lives there. I'm sorry, but you aren't going to get your wish. Unless people there decide to clean up the mess they have created things will remain the same.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
What does California even remotely have to do with this story?

Leno can say what he wants about California, living here has made.him tremendously wealthy and he pays taxes and contributes to the economy.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

We are a large portion of this nations economy and population.

No, no you are not. And even if you were, it would still not take away the fact that 90% of California is a bad joke that needs to go away.

California is probably the largest economic suck (not counting D.C.) in this country. How often do we hear about New York and illegals? New York and Gays? New York and insane laws that only serve to cost the taxpayer more money?

Now change those for every other state in the Union, California will be on top all the way around. Top of the laughing stock. You can stick up for it all you want, but stop telling us that choose not to live in California what to do, it doesn't work that way here.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Leno can say what he wants about California, living here has made.him tremendously wealthy and he pays taxes and contributes to the economy.

Leno only lives in California because that is where NBC chooses to put his nightly television show on, he has said several times that his home is on the east coast. You picked one person out of how many that are able to not only survive, but prosper without breaking the law in California. Now argue back by picking some overpaid football player, we can all do that if we try really hard.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Actually, Jeff didn't pick Leno as an example. It was me. We have to give Jeff some credit for being able to live there. I also have family that lives in California. They too aren't happy with the way things are there.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 10-24-2010).]

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

No, no you are not. And even if you were, it would still not take away the fact that 90% of California is a bad joke that needs to go away.

California is probably the largest economic suck (not counting D.C.) in this country. How often do we hear about New York and illegals? New York and Gays? New York and insane laws that only serve to cost the taxpayer more money?

Now change those for every other state in the Union, California will be on top all the way around. Top of the laughing stock. You can stick up for it all you want, but stop telling us that choose not to live in California what to do, it doesn't work that way here.

Brad

When did I try to tell you "what to do"? And again, WTF did this story have.to do with California? If California is such a joke, find a.story that relates to it. That should be easy.

BTW, am I part of that 90% of California that should just go away? Should we all just die for.your sake? How about avengadors family, do they need to die? How about my parents, retired after owning their own business to go on missionary trips with their church? How about the rest of their church? Would you set off a couple of bombs to kill them off, because they are "just a joke?" How about the students to whom my dad teaches reading? Should I kill my wife? Is she in that 90%??

The hate that exists in.this forum is starting to make me physically ill. You people have no shame.

[This message has been edited by WhiteDevil88 (edited 10-24-2010).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

I think the arguement can be made that the correlation of the Bell City Corruption and the Turnpike Corruption is related.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I think the arguement can be made that the correlation of the Bell City Corruption and the Turnpike Corruption is related.

Comparable, perhaps. Related, I fail to see the connection. Do you believe that Bell City is the standard that all California cities, and Californians like you and I, look to for our morality? Are you part of the joke, Todd? Or do you get to.be in the 10% burying the rest of our rotting corpses? What do you think? As Californians, we are all equally to blame for the tremendous drain on the rest of our fine union? Why do you think you should.survive brads genocide?
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

From Wikipedia (politically biased, I know. ) Floridas turnpike, aka the Ronald Reagan turnpike, comprises 460 miles of Florida highway.

I hate driving in Florida, everytime I turn around theres a damn toll road.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

No State tax will do that for you. I would rather pay as I go then pay and not use it.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

When did I try to tell you "what to do"? And again, WTF did this story have.to do with California? If California is such a joke, find a.story that relates to it. That should be easy.

BTW, am I part of that 90% of California that should just go away? Should we all just die for.your sake? How about avengadors family, do they need to die? How about my parents, retired after owning their own business to go on missionary trips with their church? How about the rest of their church? Would you set off a couple of bombs to kill them off, because they are "just a joke?" How about the students to whom my dad teaches reading? Should I kill my wife? Is she in that 90%??

The hate that exists in.this forum is starting to make me physically ill. You people have no shame.

If the hate bothers you so much than perhaps you should stop spreading it.
I never said anything like what you posted, but I guess if you tell a lie often enough it becomes truth. Keep making assumptions that man, you know what it makes you.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Comparable, perhaps. Related, I fail to see the connection. Do you believe that Bell City is the standard that all California cities, and Californians like you and I, look to for our morality? Are you part of the joke, Todd? Or do you get to.be in the 10% burying the rest of our rotting corpses? What do you think? As Californians, we are all equally to blame for the tremendous drain on the rest of our fine union? Why do you think you should.survive brads genocide?

I said

Are you sure you want to continue this game? I never said anything about murdering anyone in California, this day and age saying something like this can cause serious harm. I think you need to step back and think about what you are doing, or I will take my own steps forward.

I'm not joking, I'm not threatening, and I'm not going to stand for this. Posts like this will stop.

Brad
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

I said [QUOTE]

Are you sure you want to continue this game? I never said anything about murdering anyone in California, this day and age saying something like this can cause serious harm. I think you need to step back and think about what you are doing, or I will take my own steps forward.

I'm not joking, I'm not threatening, and I'm not going to stand for this. Posts like this will stop.

Brad[/QUOTE]

So how do you want to make millions of Americans "go away"? What is your plan, natural disaster? How do you hope to slake your bloodlust for dead Californians like my family?

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

Should we all just die for.your sake?

That is a bit harsh, even coming from you Jeff. No one needs to die because of what is being said about California. You are taking things too serious and are going over the top. I guess you not only broke your ankle in that pothole, you broke your funny bone too.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

There are actually quite a few highway roads that will take you through the same place without needing to go through a toll road.

Some of the tolls can be averted too. Take for example "Aligator Alley." That is considered a TOLL road, but as per Florida law (which has to do with distance to the nearest alternative road), they cannot force a toll on a road that is the only means within 100 miles of getting to and from somewhere in the state. So Aligator Alley charges tolls to and from the road, but you can get on at the first and last exit of the road and not be charged a toll at all.

I-10, I-95, 5-95, and most of I-75 (where it's not shared with alligator alley and the 826) are not tolled at all.

Orlando has a lot of toll roads, and that's probably where you're hitting most of them

South Florida really only has 2 or 3.... that being the 826/RR and Alligator Alley.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

That is a bit harsh, even coming from you Jeff. No one needs to die because of what is being said about California. You are taking things too serious and are going over the top. I guess you not only broke your ankle in that pothole, you broke your funny bone too.

I didn't break my ankle, I tore up my peripheral nerve. Maybe I broke my imagination, I am trying to figure out how else to make 90% of the population of California "go away". Plus since California is a geographical location, 90% of the land mass needs to "go away". How about sliding into the Pacific? Of course, not only Californians would "go away" from the resulting tsunami. Plus since the Salinas Valley alone produces 80 percent of the nations lettuce, I hope you aren't a salad eater.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I can drive all over Florida and not pay on a toll road. Orlando does have at least as many tolls as the Chicago area. Unfortunaltely all that toll money makes it an easy target for the tollway authority to use the money for other purposes. Several years ago the management of the Florida Tollway had a few trips to Spain to understand their toll road system. These people eventually were removed from office. The only job the tollway authority has is to make more tollroads. Using the FLA tollroads is pricey. This past week I went to the Florida Keys via the tollroad. I have the easy pass, so limited stopping to pay for tolls. I expect it will be more than $10 for the trip down and back. There is a section where I-95 runs paralell to the tollroad. Talk about a fiasco in road building, but in the late 70s when I-95 was built the tollroad had so much financial power in the political arena that they held up the opening of I-95.

I-95 through or near Miami is a nightmare. Many of the worst drivers in the country reside in south Florida. But they don't have the pesos to pay for the toll roads.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

I didn't break my ankle, I tore up my peripheral nerve. Maybe I broke my imagination, I am trying to figure out how else to make 90% of the population of California "go away". Plus since California is a geographical location, 90% of the land mass needs to "go away". How about sliding into the Pacific? Of course, not only Californians would "go away" from the resulting tsunami. Plus since the Salinas Valley alone produces 80 percent of the nations lettuce, I hope you aren't a salad eater.

I think California is a great state, and certainly contributes (or did at least) quite extensively to the rest of the United States.

The problem with California (I think) is in the way the state is run. It's much easier to pass legislation (on bills) and requires significantly less majority to pass it.

The other issue is with respect to their stance on illegal immigration. California certainly does everything it can to help make people citizens, which is not a bad thing, but because California is so immigrant friendly, that's where many of the immigrants go to have children (who of course automatically become citizens).

They are VERY supportive of immigration "rights" and welfare / entitlements. Since the state has to pay for all of this almost entirely by itself, it's a MASSIVE drain on the taxpayer revenue.

A few examples of what I'm talking about... illegal immigrants automatically can sign up at any public school and get a free education. That sounds wonderful in theory and spirit, but it's extremely costly, and a huge burden on the school system... a system where-by the families who are getting the benefits are not paying into the tax system themselves. The only time they ever pay into it, is with sales tax on the products they purchase.

Another example is with respect to welfare, housing, and even drivers licenses... you don't have to be a legal citizen in the state of California to get government subsidized housing, or food stamps, or entitlement checks from the state government.

That, plus the ease with which spending bills can be passed on an ELECTION BALLOT... it's no wonder they are so far in the can when it comes to debt.

It's become a vicious cycle. The state is heavily in debt, so they raise taxes, impose new fees, and create new taxes on various market segments in hopes of creating new tax revenue streams. All while, they simply will not reduce spending. If you say that you're going to cut finding to any welfare or entitlement program, the state's supporters go mad and say that you're evil and don't care about poor people. If you try to cut government services (which have exploded over the past decade), the unions strike back (which also continuously extort more and more money from the government in the form of mandatory pay increases, even as recession hits and tax revenue continues to decline.

What results from all of these raised taxes, with no reduction in spending, is the major businesses start to feel the squeeze, and decide to leave the state for more lucrative states in the union. Take Boeing for example... they are ALREADY laying off employees in anticipation for their massive move to South Carolina.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2...h_carolina-ar-33639/

...and now, there are two major defense projects currently in California that will be moving to Oklahoma City (also OUT of California).

http://articles.latimes.com...a-fi-boeing-20100803

There's even talk now of moving the headquarters out of the state as well.

As much as I like California, the culture, and it's contributions to the union... they simply cannot continue to operate in this manner.

Either one of two things are going to happen....

1 - Every major business except Microsoft moves out of California, and they file for bankruptcy as a state.

or

2 - The state enacts a major debt and budget cost-cutting plan that eliminates half the government jobs, eliminates union control against tax payer funded establishments, and significantly reduces it's entitlement programs.

Personally... although I think California is on the brink of financial collapse, I have a feeling that #2 will take place. This movement towards more fiscal responsibility is really taking shape. Although it will make a lot of people angry... it's really the only solution. You cannot FORCE people like Warren Buffet to simply give up their money, and the only way to fiscal solvency is to simply not spend more than you have.

------------------
Todd,

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Brad

90% ?
Our medium income is 61 grand a year bud.

Largest economic suck ?
gross state product (GSP) is about $1.812 trillion, the largest in the United States. California is responsible for 13 percent of the United States gross domestic product (GDP).

Illegals? Gays? Who else do you hate you freaking redneck.

We border Mexico and we are a huge Agg state. Go figure. People in California make a good sum of money and won't work the fields. Get your poor ass out here and pick some fruit ***** .
I got a job for ya mowing my lawn.
The Feds seem to control the illegals not the states.

What the hell do Gays have to do with anything?
1 New York City 4.5% 272,493 1
2 Los Angeles 5.6% 154,270 2
3 Chicago 5.7% 114,449 3
4 San Francisco 15.4% 94,234 4

Our big cities have less than Newyork but higher reported. Maybe we get along with people better. I can see how that is a bad thing.

Now does Cal have problems?

Hell yes it does. But when you look at the size and the production in relative comparison it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as a few uneducated ignorant rednecks would like everyone to think.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Todd, I appreciate your effort in crafting a thoughtful response, albeit one that belongs in another thread. But this thread isn't about California, at least it shouldn't be. But I will reply to your points, since you at least aren't calling for the vaporization of 9 out of 10 of my fellow Golden Staters.

First of all. Please refer to the Devil by its proper name. It is the California State Government. Not California. California is much much more then some a holes in Sacramento. So as you describe our "tolerance for illegal aliens", that doesn't speak for all of us. Not even 90%. You are not telling me anything I don't know about the cost involved in providing not only education, but federally mandated (yet unfunded) Special Education.

So what do you want me.to do about it? I vote. I put signs in my yard for candidates for local elections. I consume, adding to the economy. My wife works tirelessly to ensure that there is no waste in her department, providing the county government a true value for their dollars. What more do you want out of me and my family? We are Californians. I am a second generation native Californian. I am proud of what God gave me, living in a scenic and temperate land with fertile soil. Governments come and go. What truly makes California what it is, is what makes America what it is. Americans. Yes, we have a lot of unwelcome guests. We also have multi generational native Californians who are Mexican ancestry. We have a massive migrant farm worker population, who are legally here to pick your strawberry salads. If you want an idea of what that looks like, look at Google satellite view of the Salinas Valley. Look at the patchwork of arid fields that make up millions of dollars of produce shipped to your grocery. Think you can grow strawberries like this in Missouri? Dream on. And you would still need Mexican nationals to pick them. So how do you propose I start weeding out the illegal? I can tell.you with certainty that I never provided employment to an undocumented applicant, and I turned away many.

I am just sick of the "joke", especially when no one seems to be able to tell it right.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Todd, I appreciate your effort in crafting a thoughtful response, albeit one that belongs in another thread. But this thread isn't about California, at least it shouldn't be. But I will reply to your points, since you at least aren't calling for the vaporization of 9 out of 10 of my fellow Golden Staters.

First of all. Please refer to the Devil by its proper name. It is the California State Government. Not California. California is much much more then some a holes in Sacramento. So as you describe our "tolerance for illegal aliens", that doesn't speak for all of us. Not even 90%. You are not telling me anything I don't know about the cost involved in providing not only education, but federally mandated (yet unfunded) Special Education.

So what do you want me.to do about it? I vote. I put signs in my yard for candidates for local elections. I consume, adding to the economy. My wife works tirelessly to ensure that there is no waste in her department, providing the county government a true value for their dollars. What more do you want out of me and my family? We are Californians. I am a second generation native Californian. I am proud of what God gave me, living in a scenic and temperate land with fertile soil. Governments come and go. What truly makes California what it is, is what makes America what it is. Americans. Yes, we have a lot of unwelcome guests. We also have multi generational native Californians who are Mexican ancestry. We have a massive migrant farm worker population, who are legally here to pick your strawberry salads. If you want an idea of what that looks like, look at Google satellite view of the Salinas Valley. Look at the patchwork of arid fields that make up millions of dollars of produce shipped to your grocery. Think you can grow strawberries like this in Missouri? Dream on. And you would still need Mexican nationals to pick them. So how do you propose I start weeding out the illegal? I can tell.you with certainty that I never provided employment to an undocumented applicant, and I turned away many.

I am just sick of the "joke", especially when no one seems to be able to tell it right.

Well, you might not like my answer. I think the answer lies with a more conservative approach. I know Conan the Barbarian is your governator, and that he is Republican, but I don't know that he's following in the true steps of what needs to be done. A lot of the politicians in California are a lot like Pelosi. I really don't understand her. I don't know if she hopes to create a massive welfare culture that can be controlled, or if she is honestly hoping to help people who are less fortunate than her. I personally believe her intentions lie within the first one.

I realize Pelosi doesn't actually do anything for California since she is a Federal House Rep, rather than someone who focuses on the local issues of CA... but the perception to most (who don't live in CA) are that she is representative of the type of politicians who exist in California.

Certainly, I think illegal immigration plays a HUGE part in California's financial problems... I would almost say probably the majority of the problems.

That does need to be resolved on the federal level. I personally don't have a problem with them being here, but if I was made ruler of the world this instant... I would grant all illegal immigrants a 1-year period to register for a re-newable work visa. This work visa would need to be renewed once a year (on your anniversary date, which could be staggered so as not to overwhelm the INS department). The work visa would automatically entitle workers to minimum wage. At the same time, it would also require them to pay state and federal taxes, as well as pay into social security, FICA, etc. This would immediately pay for the significant shortfall of all the services that they consume and use.

The bad part of this is that it WOULD lead to significant cost increase for a lot of services (like lawn care) and produce, which ultimately would raise the prices for consumers.

I don't know how I feel about it, but I tend to think that minimum wage is too high right now. So, maybe I would either allow a waiver for corporations to pay 20% less than the minimum wage for workers with Work Visas, or I would reduce the minimum wage.

As it stands, this would considerably help the financial aspect of California.

Another thing that I would do as supreme ruler of the world, would be to make it immediately illegal to unionize against a taxpayer funded entity. This means public education, and essentially any government job. The problem with unionizing a government job is that it's a never ending take take take... the union sees that the money comes from the taxpayer, and ultimately, it's a bottomless pit of money to them.

I would still allow it for private industry because... quite honestly... competition is competition. If a company unionizes, that company always has the right to move to another state and still sell the services back. The unions would know this, so it would be up to them to make a fair assessment of how important it would be for them to lose everything or to compromise.

Ultimately, those are the two biggest issues that California is facing.

I would also eliminate any spending bills from showing up on the ballot. We had one like that in South Florida... it basically said... "Do you want a high-speed bullet train to go between Tampa to Orlando, and then Orlando to Fort Lauderdale."

Everyone would say... "Sure!!!" so it passed...

But how do you pay for it?

If California could:

1 - Derive income from its illegal immigrants so they were paying their fair share.
2 - Eliminate unionization from government and taxpayer funded entities.
3 - Eliminate spending bills on election ballots.

California could turn around immediately.

For what it's worth, I've never had a strawberry in my salad. I grow a lot of food in my 1/3rd acre backyard though. Mangos, starfruit, papayas, barbados cherries, surinam cherries, avacados, cavendish bananas... and apparnetly now corn too because my neighbor tossed a rotting corn-cob over onto my side, and it started to grow.

------------------
Todd,

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Orlando has tolls on the main highways like I4, 417 and 528. There is a trick to avoiding some of them. Not all entrances or exits charge a toll. You need to know which ones these are and use the marginal roads to avoid the tolls. The tolls here really aren't that bad. I average about $40 a month with three cars and without avoiding the tolls. I know many New Yorkers that average that, in a week, for one car. The bridge tolls there are murder.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Todd, let's take this conversation to PM. This thread is about turnpike in New Jersey, and I don't want to let the crooks off easy so we can try to solve the immigration issue.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock