Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  WWII guys, pacific theater, or military guys? About an ashtray.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

WWII guys, pacific theater, or military guys? About an ashtray. by 84fiero123
Started on: 10-07-2010 09:06 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Flamberge on 10-09-2010 08:49 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Melanie has got to stop bring home, this stuff from her mothers. But this was her dads and I would at least like to clean it up and maybe fix what is missing.

So here it is.

Base is a 90 MM. M 90 shell base.

Feet looks to be 3 - .45 rounds.

Cigarette holders look to be .45 shell casings cut in thirds the length of the case. One is missing of each of those is missing..

There are two more shell casings cut and soldered to the inside center of it. Can’t read the cal.s

And one, the pointed round on the top, looks to be some Jap round.

Now the man who made this was Melanie’s Dad and was at Guadalcanal, and was one of the finest men I ever met. So I would like to clean it up and make it look right. Replace the missing parts.

So any of you what is a good brass cleaner and grung cleaner to clean the ashtray?

Thanks.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Brasso? It got me through many inspections in the Army. I also have some Aluminum cleaner that works on the Revere Ware pot and pan bottoms. Once clean, you should probably spray the 90mm round with clear coat or it will corrode/oxidize again. You can also buff the clean round with a buffing wheel. Other than what I suggested, I don't know of anything else. I got the Brasso at China Mart and I know how much you like them.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Brasso, + that purple and orange cloth. (and a lotta elbow grease)
That's how I used to shine my stuff.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
OK I have some Brasso someplace in the shop, but how do I solder the parts on that are missing?
Well I was wrong, it is all dried up.
Melanie is soaking it in dish detergent and water now to try and get the old dirt and cigarette Residue off.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-07-2010).]

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

OK I have some Brasso someplace in the shop, but how do I solder the parts on that are missing?

Melanie is soaking it in dish detergent and water now to try and get the old dirt and cigarette Residue off.

Steve

As large as the piece is, you will probably need a torch to solder because a soldering iron doesn't have enough heat to melt solder. I'd do the soldering first because you'll have to clean the round again. Probably should use emery cloth or 500 grit and finer sandpaper to buff the round enough to make the solder stick. Not sure but I think you can use solder for plumbing. Electrical solder is a 60/40 mix of tin and lead but probably has a rosin core. It would work ok in my estimation but others may have a better idea. I have never done this type of work--only copper pipe soldering and electronic work.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
A pencil propane torch should work ok, and they are very inexpensive to buy and operate.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
I would NOT remove the patina on any old collectable
years of watching the roadshow teaches people to leave old stuff as is
polishing off age is not a good idea

items like that are called trench art and can have quite a bit of value
esp if you can prove the Guadalcanal connection
if you replace any missing bits you should use old period parts
like a WW2 era 45 case not a newer one
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
People from "that time" were certainly much more industrious and actually KNEW how to do things with their hands.

My grandfather had one too that he made when he was in his 30s (back in the 50s). It was a pretty common thing that a lot of vets did.

I agree with RayB, I wouldn't polish it... just keep it as is. Maybe clean up the inside a bit, but you probably don't want to really change the patina or anything.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

A pencil propane torch should work ok, and they are very inexpensive to buy and operate.

I have several of those.

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by ray b:

I would NOT remove the patina on any old collectable
years of watching the roadshow teaches people to leave old stuff as is
polishing off age is not a good idea

items like that are called trench art and can have quite a bit of value
esp if you can prove the Guadalcanal connection
if you replace any missing bits you should use old period parts
like a WW2 era 45 case not a newer one

I don’t think we could ever sell it more making it presentable for the house. It looks like he used a 45 round for the feet. That I can find out for sure later.

Like I said her dad made it and was at Guadalcanal where he made it is another story. While he was over seas but where overseas we can not be sure.

Steve

------------------

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

I don’t think we could ever sell it more making it presentable for the house. It looks like he used a 45 round for the feet. That I can find out for sure later.

Like I said her dad made it and was at Guadalcanal where he made it is another story. While he was over seas but where overseas we can not be sure.

Steve

If you can find out what outfit her Dad was in, google it and the records are pretty complete for WWII.

The round is a 90mm and is too big to be a tank round for that era. My guess is that it was an antiaircraft round and the bottom cut off and made into an ashtray. Later tanks (M-26, M-46, M-47, M-48s etc) used 90mm guns and we often made ashtrays or cut them for souvenirs when I was in Korea after the Korean War. (The M-26 entered the war very late but was in WWII) We found them on tank ranges before the Koreans got them brass was very valuable to them.

Most units on Guadacanal were Army outfits under MacArthur while the Marines were tearing up Tarawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima and other pieces of real estate under Bull Halsey. The reason I tell you all these things is because it may help find where your wife's dad served and what kind of outfit he was in.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I was also going to caution against cleaning off the patina. Cleaning it up will ruin any value it may have had. But if you really don't care about the piece's value, you should be able to clean it up with Brasso and a rag.
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
Steve,

I can't view most pictures at work. Soapy water and then try a product called Never Dull. It comes in a can. It's a polishing agent soaked into wads of a cotton ball type material. You can use small chunks or larger chunks. (Sorry, I didn't want to say you can pull off a big wad or pull off just a small wad.) After you rub the Never Dull in, it's very easy to wipe clean. Brasso gets too messy.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
She has her dads paperwork is somewhere here but we never looked into it. He was a radioman so he was right next to the artillery.

But that would be interesting to know, if we can.

The thing is cleaning up great and the other shell casings calibers are more visible. I will take some more pictures next time she pulls it out of the hot water bath then she used the brasso and it looks amazing.

I am going to bring it to a friend who owns a pawn shot and was a marine during WWII. He will know for sure if the feet are 45 and probably have a round laying around I can have.

It really is a peace of history from then and her dad did make it so that there has more value than money to her.

The bigger shell in the middle is a 37MM MK 11A V64SC

And the next one the only numbers we can see are 320 42 and then a diamond shape with an R inside it. (Trademark)?

Melanie is going to try and find the papers later but knowing more about his service record would be nice. I never got a chance to talk to him about it much.

Where would we go?

Steve

------------------

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
That is cool as all get out. I have always just LOVED trench art. At one point I had a nice collection of Zippo trench art. Most of it was legit, some I found out later was mass reproductions. But all cool none the less.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!!
I once had a spitfire plane made out of an old UK penny Unfortunately, when my Parents died, it went to Canada It was very precious to me. I have replicated it several times, and sold them on. I'll try to find an old UK penny, and make another one.
The ground crew during the WW11 used to make them and sell them, thereby making their meagre pay worth quite a bit more .
I'll try to make one to show how it was done.
Nice memory Steve and Mel
Nick
the reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
Heres a link to odtain military records (DD-214)

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

I had to get records re-made for my Dad as his where destroyed in a fire at the NPRC in 1973. Their still working on them.

Nick
cone shark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cone sharkSend a Private Message to cone sharkDirect Link to This Post
Near the end of the war my father traded a ration of whiskey for this Corsair.
He was a pilot with VPB-124 (PB4Y-2B Privateers) on Okinawa.
60 years later he made the translucent prop disk to add a little realism.

[This message has been edited by cone shark (edited 10-09-2010).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thread!!!
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Very nice piece, as far as cleaning and shining it up, I'm not sure I would but if that was my goal, I'd look for a sonic cleaning tank. Jewelers normally have them but I doubt they would be big enough for your ashtray. If that doesn't work, I guess you're back to elbow grease and Brasso. Have fun.

Ron
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
I like the Corsair ham rig in the background of Cone Shark's pictures of an F4U Corsair.

WB5GSA
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
The 90 MM round has these numbers on the bottom

90 MM M 19 Lot 6268-17 F.A. 1941

How that could be hunted down to find out where it was sent is another story.

Steve

------------------

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

The 90 MM round has these numbers on the bottom

90 MM M 19 Lot 6268-17 F.A. 1941

How that could be hunted down to find out where it was sent is another story.

Steve

I googled "M 19 90mm" and discovered it was indeed an anti-aircraft round--probably meant to explode at a certain altitude with a timed fuse or proximity fuse. Later models of the 90mm ack-ack gun were radar guided and very accurate but not effective against Soviet bombers flying at 40,000 feet because they simply couldn't shoot eight miles high. I remember GIs telling me about being stationed with a 90mm antiaircraft outfit in the 50s or 60s (not sure of the decade) so they had a long life for the military. The very effective German 88mm of WWII was originally an antiaircraft gun and Rommel used them to wreak havoc at Arras against the Brits and French tanks in 1940. Both the US and Germans put a version of their former AAA guns(antiaircraft artillery) in tanks.

I suspect your wife's dad was a radio operator in a 90mm antiaircraft artillery outfit and had access to expended shell casings.

[This message has been edited by starlightcoupe (edited 10-09-2010).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Stuff like this gives me goose bumps.

My Grandfather tells a story that he removed this from one of the last trains to leave Auschwitz. He was a liberator!

I have converted it to a lamp. I have not altered any part on it. No drilling of holes. I wanted to keep it's originality. It makes me happy to own this.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 10-09-2010).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The 90 mm were also used on some of the tank destroyers. The US sent a group over with the 90mm gun early in the war, to see if they would stand up, but were not acceptable, so they stuc with the 76 mm till the M-36 Hellcat was perfected, but it didn't enter service till 1944 I believe, but the 90mm round was in production far earlier than that. Tanks and tank destroyers had a radio operator, who doubled as a co-driver.

The F.A, would be a propellant (powder) and projectile designation. I haven't looked in to it, but it could possibly stand for "Flashless" Amourpeircing" if the round came from a tank destroyer.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
From the stories she remembers he was stationed as a radio man with an artillery unit on New Caledonia and Guadalcanal.

Something I found interesting about the 90 MM base was where it says lot 6268-17 FA it had the 7 cut over an 8 so it really said 18FA and then someone cut a 7 right over the 8.

What ever any of that means.

As I said it means more to her than any amount of money so cleaning it up was more to making it more pleasing to the eye in the house.

Out of respect for her Dad more than anything else.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-09-2010).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Someday I may put my muzzle loader back together and post pictures of that. That is a real one from the 1860’s I think I have it narrowed down to. it needs a hammer and i am going to find one someday but it is still loaded, from when ever the last time it was loaded.

Steve

------------------

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Stuff like this gives me goose bumps.

My Grandfather tells a story that he removed this from one of the last trains to leave Auschwitz. He was a liberator!

I have converted it to a lamp. I have not altered any part on it. No drilling of holes. I wanted to keep it's originality. It makes me happy to own this.

VERY cool. That is HISTORY you have there. (Although it looks huge next to that Fiero. )

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock