Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Xs650 bobber project... (no fiero but its all I've got for now) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Xs650 bobber project... (no fiero but its all I've got for now) by IVANNATINKLE
Started on: 09-20-2010 07:27 AM
Replies: 41
Last post by: IVANNATINKLE on 11-16-2010 03:57 AM
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I used to have an 87 Gt with an L67 ported and polished just about everything.. bigger this smaller that*pulley* the trans blew in april and I needed something a bit more practical and I had a 1998 gtp sitting with a blown motor so Sold the fiero and fixed the 4 dr boat due to a wedding coming up on october 2nd and well recently I had the need to work on something BAD and well with not much storage room and a Very tight budget I couldn't buy another fiero so i searched the web and realized a motorcycle wouldn't be a bad project It fit the criteria for what i needed... rambling
what I ended up with was an XS650 and a parts frame...
serious budget build so far I've got about 375 into it (not including about $100 for gas*wife didn't count it neither am I * )

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow of everything for now an example or two of what she will hopefully look like when I'm done, and a plan.

on xs650's when its still got the shocks its called "brat style" and i like the idea of my kidneys lol

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shananigans

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShananigansSend a Private Message to ShananigansDirect Link to This Post
For being on a budget, the XS650 is am excellent choice for an old school type build. They are very tough engine and resemble the triumph engine and I have seen some super nice builds using them. They sound great and have enough power too. I would be interested in seeing a pic or two of what you have to work with. These guys over here at http://www.thechopperunderg...com/forum/index.php? would welcome you with open arms and help you with advice on your build. Also the the Horse back street chopper is another cool place for old school builds. http://www.network54.com/Forum/13357/
Good luck with your build....Make it happen man.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
My very next project will be a bobber.
I'm thinking about a very strange motor for it though.....something small (250cc or less) & maybe a twin.
A 1960's 125cc twin would be cool....

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 09-20-2010).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
My style:

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
If I had $1,200, I could have this one:

http://seattle.craigslist.o.../mcy/1961516010.html

I'd even trade my 2 Pink Floyd tickets for it!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Those are indeed sweet little get around towners! I want a springer front end like those and a rigid frame but the frame well... I'm partial to my back and pot holes in my city eat cars and babbies, the springer is just to much $$$ right now with the budget I'm on lol I'll have pictures up I. A few I was late for work today for posting this lol
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2010 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

Those are indeed sweet little get around towners! I want a springer front end like those and a rigid frame but the frame well... I'm partial to my back and pot holes in my city eat cars and babbies

Yeah, I love the springer, and the looks of the hardtail, but I sure would like a full-floater.
Just can't afford all the things I want.

Start small, build up.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Ya thats what I'm trying, my bike for a full Xs650 plus parts frame i got for 300 wasn't bad I'm chopping the frame and using the motor from the bike so I can't complain lol I'm in it for $350-400 but I'm getting closer to done and I'm sure I could have done it WAY cheeper so around 350 Total If i wanted to but It wouldn't be the same.... I'm going to find my camera and upload some pictures soon, The bike is at my aunts for now but i think i'll be bringing them home so I can work on it more often...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
I love the “Speedway” style of this one, although the Jock shift seems a little odd:

Every time I see an old pre-unit Trump, especially a chopped one like this, it really takes me back:

These things transport me back to the days of my miss-spent youth. Thanks for posting them

------------------

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
1972 Shovelhead Bobber:

Flyrite Bobber:

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 09-20-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Vey nice I've always wanted an American bike an American custom bt for me right now it's about being cost effective
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2010 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Vey nice I've always wanted an American bike an American custom bt for me right now it's about being cost effective

Get some pictures up!
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on a bRAT Bob at the moment...it is really rough but a work in progress. Base is 1979 XS650 I bought for $500.

My buddy is building a 1981 XS hardtail bobber/chopper.

I'll have to try and find some pictures.

If you haven't found them already (I see you already found XS650Chopper)

http://xs650forum.proboards.com Good info but Stock-Nazis, don't go in there talking about hardtails.

http://www.xs650.com/index.php More liberal minded and more active board.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/ Jap bobber and chopper parts.

http://www.mikesxs.net/ The Holy Grail.

~ Derek

[This message has been edited by Derek_85GT (edited 09-21-2010).]

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Sick sites thanks! I've been on xs650chopper.com lots of good pictures there! I'll post soon life is hectic today but I did get to work on ita bit
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
My arms would fall asleep ridding a bike with ape hangers like that. The look is cool but not for me, I prefer my handle bars to be a bit lower.
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

My arms would fall asleep ridding a bike with ape hangers like that. The look is cool but not for me, I prefer my handle bars to be a bit lower.

Likewise. I love the traditional Brat look but I have drag bars on my bike. In the future I might opt for something low rise instead of the drags but for now the drags were the cheapest option.

~ Derek
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys Finally some shots Took a 3 hr ride to get the bike for $500 and it didn't start so well I took the long drive home empty handed told him i would give him 300 as is non running, said no. Then a day later i got an email saying bike is running but i stripped a screw working on it come with 300 and get it out of my yard.. then i went and got it and a spare frame as well, Come to find out the "screw" he stripped was on a light that I don't even need to use! AWESOME So drove out there picked it up very early in the morning in my sisters mini van!

picking up the bike

MISSING some in between pictures

these are some shots on how the spare frame stands
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

tank and brake light

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post

IVANNATINKLE

913 posts
Member since Jun 2009
so far I've been very lucky with Deals on this bike I got the spare frame *disc brake frame* for free with the bike, then I went to buy a HD dyna wide glide rear rim for the fact it was spoked with Disc brakes for $50 the guy gave me a fat boy front rim for free and i ended up trading it for a sportster gas tank, and got a free 21 inch Dirt bike rim from a buddie that i'm going to use....
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the update!
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
This makes me want to get mine going, anyone have a 80's xj tank laying around?
PFF
System Bot
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
No xj tank but hopefully soon an xs tank?
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. I would really like to swap over from the flat frame for the seat mount but it is SO expensive.

That and I burned out my rectifier, so I am going to replace it and the regulator with the solid state combo unit that Mike's has. Damn old Jap electronics, just like carbs they are half magic.

Here was mine sans seat and rear luggage/turn signal frame shortly after I bought it.

And pretty close to how it sits now. Aside from maintenance the seat area is next to be addressed and after that new rear turn signals. I think I'm going to mount the rear signals where I cut off the rear frame and try and clean that area up.

~ Derek
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I was not aware that these bikes had such a following. Very nice. I remember reading this article in Cycle World, when they were first introduced. My brother had one about 30 years ago.

Here are a couple of nice ones I found on Youtube.
I have always loved the sound of a 360o twin with TT pipes:

I like this one:

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-26-2010).]

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Nice 650! The seat rails are going to cost a but to have done but my guess is still less than a hard tail
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

This is all I have so far, I did tinker with it a little and got the ignition working, but that's as far as I've gotten.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, got married Saturday been a busy few weeks getting ready but I did fit the tank before hand, how ever I'm on my honeymoon now so maybe when I get back I'll have some updates!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post

IVANNATINKLE

913 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by jmbishop:

This is all I have so far, I did tinker with it a little and got the ignition working, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Talk about a drop seat! Looking good, have you thought about a weld on hard tail though? Maybe a little on the safer side
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
will have some more photos up tomorrow!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Bike is in the shop getting the seat rails all welded up and thestock welds touched up
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
new update! bikes almost done at the welding shop, he's just waiting on some parts from me, I did buy a springer today for a low low $100 and not in bad shape either
PFF
System Bot
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff. Mine's developed a charging issue and carb issue. I'm just about to park it for the winter honestly since I'm getting frustrated and it's getting to cold to ride anyway.

~ Derek
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
well for the carbs, maybe run high test fuel and some carb cleaner threw it and run them dry put some super in and run it see if that helps? but the charging issue is very common with these bikes for some reason the charging system sucks but then again they are all about 30 years old haha theres some ways to fix them I'm just not sure of all the ways.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post

IVANNATINKLE

913 posts
Member since Jun 2009
also picked up a wassel style tank a week ago instead of the sportster I think it should look good.
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

well for the carbs, maybe run high test fuel and some carb cleaner threw it and run them dry put some super in and run it see if that helps? but the charging issue is very common with these bikes for some reason the charging system sucks but then again they are all about 30 years old haha theres some ways to fix them I'm just not sure of all the ways.

I found a gas station that sells 95+ octane fuel, so I'm going to pick some up this week and see what I can do. It has mainly to do with improper tuning that I'm still working out but I'm also going to have the carbs sonic cleaned. As far the the charging issue, it looks like I need to replace the rotor, which is just a matter of money so it'll get a new one at some point this winter.

Riding season is officially over for me.

~ Derek
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Sooo... About how much does one spend building one of these? Let's assume $300 for the donor bike.
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the same boat, decent Fieros are rare around here, most are rusted out. I was looking for a Yamaha 650 to work on but no luck there either. I finally bought an 86 Suzuki Savage to work on, nice low seat for my short legs, simple single cylinder engine, light enough to be nimble, powerful enough for cruising, now all I need are the parts to make it unique. Best part is they are still in production and supported by the dealer.
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grandaddy84SE:

I'm in the same boat, decent Fieros are rare around here, most are rusted out. I was looking for a Yamaha 650 to work on but no luck there either. I finally bought an 86 Suzuki Savage to work on, nice low seat for my short legs, simple single cylinder engine, light enough to be nimble, powerful enough for cruising, now all I need are the parts to make it unique. Best part is they are still in production and supported by the dealer.

My roommate rides a Savage, great little bike, rarely gives him any trouble.

~ Derek
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
I've got a '77 GL1000 that would make an AWESOME bobber :-D
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
lets see mine so far,

Bike and parts frame- $300
Rim- $50
Gas tank- free with trading actually up $10
new grips- $15
Model A tail light- $20
Springer front end- $100
brass knuckles for jockey shifter- $10
rebar for jockey shifter- free at work

Theres another few hundred worth of work left to do and small stuff here and there that is including the welding up of the new seat rails and touching up everywhere on the frame

How ever I went the expensive rout and am doing a custom bobber that i want to look good and ride nice I really didn't need half of the stuff i bought i could have fixed the back brake on the good bike and ridden it as it was or chopped the back half of the seat rail off made a single seat with a street sign and couch cushion used the front fender as the back thrown some honda rebel shocks on it and called it a bar hopping bobber for $350 if that but again I want different lol and my wife is well hating me for it
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock