Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  New Project / Toy / Tent Trailer maybe Utility Trailer.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

New Project / Toy / Tent Trailer maybe Utility Trailer. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 09-09-2010 01:15 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 09-12-2010 11:40 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Its perfectly usable as a tent trailer, has 2 double beds, electric heat, storage for camping supplies.

However its really dirty, has some semi rotten boards, most of the hinges are in need of replacing. They did a partial renovation a couple years ago and put a new floor in it and replaced some of the wooden sides. I guess this is a problem when you have a fold up house, it just feels flimsy.

I honestly got it because I was going to rip off the tent trailer part lay some new plywood down and use it as a utility trailer. It has a 3/4 ton axle rating which is more than enough for a light utility trailer.

However I am kinda torn between fixing this thing up and using it or just scrapping it.

Well here are the pics.

Needs a good wash

Back side closed

Open, but with the bars not installed to support the Tent Section You can kinda see the door.

Other Side

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
i like the yard full of fiero's and the truck gets the street...lol
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I love your Yellow Fiero.

TBH, I didn't read the rest of your post. Sorry. I just really like that fiero.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
If the canvas is not usable, then use it as trailer. Canvas' are outrageously expensive, and it would not be worth restoring if that is the case.

Jim
fcsmls

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fcsmlsSend a Private Message to fcsmlsDirect Link to This Post
Strong axle for a utility trailer, but remember to repack the wheel bearings. They usually get neglected -- you see lots of them by the side of the highway with catastrophic failures.

Plan on getting rid of the whole trailer "box", as gutting the tent trailer off it will leave you with a very flimsy unsuitable result. Besides which, it just looks ghetto!

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much screams "Teardrop Time!" to me.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlawfiero17:

i like the yard full of Fiero's and the truck gets the street...lol

LOL, there are 2 more hiding in the front of the house. Yes we are addicts.

Originally posted by theBDub:

I love your Yellow Fiero.

TBH, I didn't read the rest of your post. Sorry. I just really like that Fiero.

The yellow 88GT is my daily driver. Its nice to have a fun comfortable daily driver. I may restore it eventually and give it to my daughter for her first car, although that is a long way off. (she turns 1 year old next month)

However thank you for the comments. Its a great car, and I do love it.

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

If the canvas is not usable, then use it as trailer. Canvas' are outrageously expensive, and it would not be worth restoring if that is the case.

Jim

The Canvas was replaced 2 years ago, rather poorly. Its in good shape, but looks like they littlerly just used a stable gun to attach it. Its also not very thick, about the same as the canvas used for a good tent.

Originally posted by fcsmls:

Strong axle for a utility trailer, but remember to repack the wheel bearings. They usually get neglected -- you see lots of them by the side of the highway with catastrophic failures.

Plan on getting rid of the whole trailer "box", as gutting the tent trailer off it will leave you with a very flimsy unsuitable result. Besides which, it just looks ghetto!

Ya if I turn it into a trailer, it will get ripped right down to the bare frame and some thick plywood deck put down, and used as a flat deck trailer.

Originally posted by Zeb:

Pretty much screams "Teardrop Time!" to me.

Oh Man I would love to do a tear drop trailer on it. Those are so amazing. However I don't have the skills or resources to build one of them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys.

On a side note, it tows behind the Fiero really well and only 2 of the lights need to be fixed.

The trailer itself was given to me from an Online friend that no longer used it. So my out of pocket expense was almost nothing so far. I think with a few hundred bucks I could make it decent.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Look around for an old clamshell cap for a snowmobile trailer. They hinge forward so you can get sleds in and out. They are usually aluminum and fairly sturdy.

Then you have a huge teardrop, just make the floor fit the cap.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fcsmls:

it just looks ghetto!

Yep.. few of them here like that.. pretty funny looking.

I had one of those that was torn down years ago and it was a good little trailer. Hauled a good size load. There was a few angle iron welded on where the drawbar fits by the axle and the drawbar bolted back on with one large bolt through. This allowed the trailer to tilt easily. Up front by the front of the drawbar, there was more angle iron welded on with a pin inserted to hold it down when driving. (I can do a quick paint drawing if you dont understand)
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Look around for an old clamshell cap for a snowmobile trailer. They hinge forward so you can get sleds in and out. They are usually aluminum and fairly sturdy.

Then you have a huge teardrop, just make the floor fit the cap.

Steve

I have never seen a large Clamshell trailer like that, I will have to keep my eyes open that would be perfect.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by isthiswhereiputausername?:

Yep.. few of them here like that.. pretty funny looking.

I had one of those that was torn down years ago and it was a good little trailer. Hauled a good size load. There was a few angle iron welded on where the drawbar fits by the axle and the drawbar bolted back on with one large bolt through. This allowed the trailer to tilt easily. Up front by the front of the drawbar, there was more angle iron welded on with a pin inserted to hold it down when driving. (I can do a quick paint drawing if you don't understand)

I never thought about making it a tilt deck trailer, hmm, wow, I was planning on just stripping the entire box, raising mech and everything down to the bare axle and main frame then just using it as a standard flat deck trailer. Creating a tilt deck would be super cool. If I don't find a clam shell, I'll defiantly look into that.

The wife is still pushing me to fix this thing up so we can use it to go camping with Arianna (11 month old daughter) however I am not sure if I like that idea or not.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is the art of the possible. A former tent trailer now a nice utility trailer, and it even goes with your paint job

Arn
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep I could see building that, that would be really cool. Especially considering my main tow vehicle I use is my Yellow 88GT. We do own a Blazer with a hitch however that is the wifes car and the wife uses the Blazer for Baby hauling. Frankly I think the Fiero and this may scare some people, but I think the Fiero tows our trailers better than the Blazer does. For the record the Blazer is a 96 AWD 4.3 V6.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock