Started on: 04-09-2010 03:49 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: jerry455 on 04-10-2010 11:14 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
The GM C/K series of pickup trucks from the 70's and 80's with side mounted fuel tanks. I vaguely recall discussing this with someone years ago, but I thought there was a recall. Apparently not, and the tank desgn was used on a LOT of them.

http://jalopnik.com/5513303...explode-and-kill-you

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, this was the one were NBC had to use an explosive charge to set off a tank fire because it wouldn't happen during their tests...

BUT, I do know of someone who was in an accident and the tank did catch on fire... so it could happen.

J.
Jackdaniels

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
I remember riding in the 70's model and smelling nothing but fuel in the cab. Very poor design.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
BTW, I owned an '81 chevy 1/2 ton and I had to replace the tank because of rust, but I never had a fuel smell inside the truck. The previous owner installed a inline 6 - 292cu engine. The truck had a lot of power and I kept driving it until the cam gear decided to strip. I should have fixed it.

J.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
If you had fuel smell inside the cab it was a pre '73 which had the tanks mounted INSIDE the cabs and behind the seat in the pickups. There is little chance of fuel vapors entering the caps in the post 73's.

The models in question had the "side-saddle" tanks and were never subject to a recall. Did some catch on fire? I'm sure they did. The tanks were exposed on the outside of the frame rails. Other vehicles also had fires with the tanks mounted in the rear. Tanks can rupture, I'm sure that's not rocket science to most people. GM did move the tanks inside the frame rails on the later models. I still drive an '83 with the side saddle tanks and lose not one minute's sleep over their location.

GM did send owners at the time a voucher of $1,000 (I still have mine somewhere although it's expired) good towards the purchase of a new GM truck and that was the extent of the settlement. There was one case that I recall that found in favor of the family of a teenage boy and awarded something over $100,000,000 but it was later overturned.

John Stricker
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Brutal. My dad used to drive a late 70s c1500. I believe he picked it up for 600 bucks, drove it for a few years, got t-boned by an old lady, and ended up buying an 89 c1500(not side-saddle)...so, I suppose its not a gauranteed fireball.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
My yard plow is that, 79 GMC with duel tanks. On both sides. It hasn’t been on the road since 91 by the inspection sticker but it still has both tanks outside the frame.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Weird that Jalponik would dig up a safety issue regarding vehicles last manufactured over 20 years ago, especially in light of the current troubles over at Toyota. Heck even the Dateline NBC story where they rigged the truck with explosives was way back in 1995. Does Jalponik have a motive to deflect attention away from Toyota? Will their next article warn us about how our Corvairs are "unsafe" at any speed?

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
An old job I worked at had a 77..we used that thing to haul, plow, run errends, tow planes, my son at 2 was sitting on my lap steering it down a runway.......never had a lick of problem with the tank.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Truth of the matter is, almost every GM vehicle these days has fire recalls, almost all of which are now electrically related.

With the advancement of more and more electronic "comfort" devices comes the addition of possible problems.

Isn't it amazing the Fiero was branded "the fire hazard" and sales went out the crapper?? Yet the same can be said for 80% of the GM line in the last 10 years.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Not just GM, nearly all the makes are fighting this issue, for the same reasons.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Truth of the matter is, almost every GM vehicle these days has fire recalls, almost all of which are now electrically related.

With the advancement of more and more electronic "comfort" devices comes the addition of possible problems.

Isn't it amazing the Fiero was branded "the fire hazard" and sales went out the crapper?? Yet the same can be said for 80% of the GM line in the last 10 years.

PFF
System Bot
jerry455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerry455Send a Private Message to jerry455Direct Link to This Post
when the tanks are inside the frame rail a broken u-joint will let the driveshaft hit the tank. I have seen it happen. Any vehicle that uses gasoline can have a fire.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock