Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Oversensitive? (Glasser's choice theory)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Oversensitive? (Glasser's choice theory) by psychosurfer
Started on: 02-26-2010 11:03 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: randye on 02-27-2010 02:58 AM
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
I practice my therapy from Glasser's perspective. Who is aware of what this platform professes?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Glasser's basic needs and psychological needs heirarchy reminds me of L. Ron Hubbard's twisted view of human psychology as defined by his Scientology.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Glasser's basic needs and psychological needs heirarchy reminds me of L. Ron Hubbard's twisted view of human psychology as defined by his Scientology.

Doesn't one think we are controlled by others (alien beings) and the other thinks we control every part of ourselves?

They seem polar opposites to me, care to elaborate? I am probably missing, or forgetting something here.

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Some people are controlled by others---(alien or otherwise)--I see it everyday--even here.
Some are under the mistaken and arrogant assumption they control others--see that everyday too--even here.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Some people are controlled by others---(alien or otherwise)--I see it everyday--even here.
Some are under the mistaken and arrogant assumption they control others--see that everyday too--even here.

But there are certainly not just the two groups.

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
nope--those are very much in the minority.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Kinda odd that this pops up here. Just took Psych 222 (social psychology) last semester. Glasser was well covered in that course

When I'm a bit more sober in the morning, I'll post more on this topic
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Doesn't one think we are controlled by others (alien beings) and the other thinks we control every part of ourselves?

They seem polar opposites to me, care to elaborate? I am probably missing, or forgetting something here.

Brad

I suppose I should have been more specific.
The foundational book of Scientology, at least at the lower levels, is "Dianetics". The space opera stuff doesn't come until much later ... and after a couple of hundred thousand dollars more.

If you manage to wade through the gobbledygook of Dianetics, you'd find that L. Ron Hubbard proposed that human psychological problems are caused by what he called the "reactive mind". This "reactive mind" supposedly stores "engrams", (pictures) of all the traumas, upsets and unpleasant events of one's life. All of one's "engrams" are collectively called one's "bank". These "engrams" cause people to have various psychological and social problems in life. The courses and "auditing" of Scientology are supposed to help one rid themselves of this "reactive mind" resulting in what Hubbard called "The State of Clear", where one is "cleared" of all their "engrams" thus ridding them of their "reactive mind" and left with only the analytical, or "thinking", mind.
Scientologists can "attest" to the "State of Clear" when they realize the "clear cognition", which is simply: "I am mocking up, (creating), my own reactive mind and I don't have to do it anymore." (a choice).
Much of L. Ron Hubbard's pseudo-science of Dianetics and Scientology sounds a lot like Glasser who proposed:

The 10 Axioms of Choice Therapy

The only person whose behavior we can control is our own. (You can become "clear")
All we can give another person is information. (Scientology calls it "data", and the persons giving and receiving that data, "terminals") (The premise that we can only give another person *information* is also patently ridiculous on it's face)
All long-lasting psychological problems are relationship problems. ("engrams") (Probably lifted straight from Freud by both Hubbard *and* Glasser)
The problem relationship is always part of our present life. (again, "engrams") (Good ol' Sigmund again too...)
What happened in the past has everything to do with what we are today, but we can only satisfy our basic needs right now and plan to continue satisfying them in the future. ( The Scientology "bank" composed of the sum total of one's "engrams". Hubbard also waxed extensively on "survival", (basic needs heirarchy), and posed that as the primary driving force of human behavior)
We can only satisfy our needs by satisfying the pictures in our Quality World. (once again..."engrams") (...and once again, patently ridiculous, particularly if my pictures of my "Quality World" solidly depict me as an Arab Sheik or a black NBA basketball star. According to Glasser, I supposed I'd be doomed to a life of unsatisfied needs.)
All we do is behave. (Scientology calls it "reacting" or "banky", as in a result of the "reactive mind")
All behavior is Total Behavior and is made up of four components: acting, thinking, feeling and physiology. (L.Ron Hubbard also compartmentalized human behavior into distinct groups, i.e. He defined a range of human feelings, (emotions), on what he called "The Tone Scale".)
All Total Behavior is chosen, but we only have direct control over the acting and thinking components. We can only control our feeling and physiology indirectly through how we choose to act and think. (IOW, the goal is to use the "analytic mind", (thinking), rather than be the continual victim of one's "reactive mind") (Remember that "Clear Cognition"; "I am mocking up, (creating), my own reactive mind and I don't have to do it anymore. (a choice). (Scientology also believes that physiology, (illness), is a "choice" and one can "think away" such problems, ranging from myopia to cancer, which is obviously a willful detatchment from reality. )
All Total Behavior is designated by verbs and named by the part that is the most recognizable. (L.Ron Hubbard also had a fascination with words. He proposed something called "word clearing" wherein he ascerted that misunderstandings, problems and confusion in life were caused by "MUs" or misunderstood words. Scientologists "word clear" by looking up almost every word they utter in a dictionary and memorizing the definition. Every Scientologist I've ever met has several well worn dictionaries close at hand.)

With all due respect "Psychosurfer", if you are basing your therapy of your clients solely on Glasser, I personally would RUN as fast and as far away from you as I possibly could.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-27-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock