Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Last night on Mythbusters - Fuel mileage increase...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Last night on Mythbusters - Fuel mileage increase... by RickN
Started on: 01-02-2010 11:17 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: RickN on 01-03-2010 12:12 PM
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I watched Myth Busters last night and they increased the gas mileage of a Ford Taurus by 11% by putting golf ball style dimples all over the outside surface of the car. So, who's going to make the body kit? LOL!

The Plan

Dimpled Car

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-02-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Daisy Red Ryder bb guns will now become a hot seller.
DIY kit

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-02-2010).]

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
11%? daaamn. How big/deep were the dimples? That's a relatively easy mod if you've got a metal car...
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

11%? daaamn. How big/deep were the dimples? That's a relatively easy mod if you've got a metal car...

They were a little larger than tennis balls. Maybe 2" radius or so. A heat gun and a croquet ball would probably be just the ticket for a Fiero.

I'm thinking my F250 would be a good candidate for this too! LOL

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-02-2010).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I should hope for a hailstorm?
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Hmm .... I wonder if the dimples would make it stealth to radar ?
What was the reason they attribute to an increase in gas mileage ?
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:What was the reason they attribute to an increase in gas mileage ?

The initial premise was that the dimples on the golf ball allow it to travel further due to decreased wind resistance. So, they just wanted to see if it would work on a car.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
The dimples in the golf ball allow air circulation closer to the ball resulting in a closer air stream with less turbulence behind the object thereby decreasing vacuum behind the object allowing for better flight.

http://ilovebacteria.com/golf.htm

The same principle applies the the car.

------------------
Pennock's Official Thread Killer
Indiana Fiero Club

The Duke will NEVER DIE

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Waxing it would become a real pain. and water freezing in those dimples would raise havoc with the finish.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
But the 2 inches of clay the put on the car would be killer on your 0 - 60 times
hklvette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hklvetteSend a Private Message to hklvetteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

But the 2 inches of clay the put on the car would be killer on your 0 - 60 times

and in-town and mountain mpg
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Reminds me of that Saturday Night Live commercial about the adobe car.

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change!

"Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!"

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86dadobe.phtml

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 01-02-2010).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Now maybe I'll eliminate the slice in my Fiero and can drive farther than 300 yards.

Jim
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

... and can drive farther than 300 yards.

Jim

Maybe Tiger should have had dimples on his Escalade?
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-02-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Waxing it would become a real pain. and water freezing in those dimples would raise havoc with the finish.

if you have just beaten your car senseless with 100's of divits, i don't think your finish is a concern.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-23-2010).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

The thing is even your gas milage would suffer with the clay. They only measured the MPG at speed.
To get to the speed with all the extra weight would negate any MPG savings at speed.

Thoughts and Idea's:

Maybe you will see new cars come with dimpled surfaces to meet the newer MPG requirements.
I bet Honda will be the first manufacturer to offer a dimpled car. Then the ricers can paint the inside of the dimples. (smiley faces, odd color combo's, etc)
Then I'm sure the race teams will be able to use it as well. Imagine a F1 racecar with dimples.

That settles it. I'm thinking about making a dimpling kit and selling it. I just need a hammer and a dimple mold that is scientifically designed to optimize the dimple size. I also need to include a net that when placed over the body will show you exactly where to place the dimple for optimum mpg savings. I can offer it on late night infomercials for the low price of $199.95. At today's gas prices, just driving 255 miles will pay for the kit and the rest will be all pure savings! Even hybrid cars can benefit. I of course would have to include a disclaimer that it only works on metal body cars. Corvette's, Fiero's, older Saturns, Older GM minivans, etc. would be excluded.

Anyone what to invest? (if you have a Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, True Value, or Sears discount that would help a lot!)

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-03-2010).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

The thing is even your gas milage would suffer with the clay. They only measured the MPG at speed.
To get to the speed with all the extra weight would negate any MPG savings at speed.

Thoughts and Idea's:

Maybe you will see new cars come with dimpled surfaces to meet the newer MPG requirements.
I bet Honda will be the first manufacturer to offer a dimpled car. Then the ricers can paint the inside of the dimples. (smiley faces, odd color combo's, etc)
Then I'm sure the race teams will be able to use it as well. Imagine a F1 racecar with dimples....

Yeah, but this is a concept that would be perfect for the Volkswagen Beetle !

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock