I RAN THE MARINE CORPS MARATHON!!!!!! by Doc John
Started on: 10-31-2009 02:58 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Doc John on 11-01-2009 05:38 PM
Doc John

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Last week I ran the Marine Corps Marathon. A group of folks from work and I had been planning this for about a year, getting out and running together 4 times per week plus Saturdays. As we increased our mileage, folks gradually dropped out due to injuries (or, in the case of one girl, pregnancy (which does not really count as an injury but does make 26,2 miles a very bad idea)). Turns out I was the sole survivor of our group. So last Sunday, October 25, I joined 30,000 fellow masochists and went for a little jog.

I learned a lot about myself during this run - other than the fact that I run slower than I'd hoped for. I was doing fine right up mile 17. At that point I thought that it was getting a little old (ten miles left? CRAP!!). At milepost 18 I saw a friend in the crowd, so that really helped me keep going. Around mile 21 somebody turned up the force of gravity. It really started to suck from there on out (although the hallucinations around mile 23 were kind of fun).

Around mile 25 you can start to hear the crowd at the finish line. If that doesn't get you pumped up, you might already be dead. Then there was a steep hill (@*#%!) just before the finish line -- and then you are done. Until next year.

Here are a few really low res photos. I'll replace them with the high res versions when I get them.

(Iwo Jima Memorial in the background)

Not completely sure that I'll ever run a marathon again. Half marathons are a LOT easier, so I might stick to those. On the other hand, I might want to run this one again to improve my time. I don't need to decide for a while.

[This message has been edited by Doc John (edited 10-31-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
My hat is off to you. I die after 2 miles, yet alone that many.
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
I trained fairly religiously for the marathon for a little over a year. I had been running off and on before that. When I started running about 15 months ago I was around 225 lbs, right now I'm at 185. Good-bye, cheeseburgers, hello, bucket of salad.

IMPORTANT TRAINING NOTE: when you are doing your training runs, you need some kind of distraction. Going out with a group of friends is the way to do it. Also, it helps A LOT if one of the friends is a girl, has a good, steady pace, and an amazing butt.

Yep.... good scenery makes all the difference.

[This message has been edited by Doc John (edited 10-31-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding, well out running!
How are the legs today? I love to run but only in short bursts, anything over 100 yards is not running for me as I will end up just running it all in spurts and the rest in a fast walk.
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
AND a big THANK YOU to the Marines who organized this event, especially the folks that were working the water stations along the way. You did a great job keeping us hydrated AND motivated.

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post

Doc John

749 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Outstanding, well out running!
How are the legs today? I love to run but only in short bursts, anything over 100 yards is not running for me as I will end up just running it all in spurts and the rest in a fast walk.

I feel great today - in fact I'm going out for a run in about 15 minutes. The day following the marathon (Monday) was a real treat, I was walking around like a chimpanzee with rheumatism. Tuesday was a lot better, and I ran three miles on Wednesday and four on Thursday to work out the kinks.

I will never be a fast runner, but I can do distance ok. The important thing is to find a pace that lets you achieve your distance, and stick to it (even if it seems very very slow).

A friend of mine from work is an ultramarathoner (!) She and her husband recently ran a 52 mile event.

That is NOT in my future ;-)

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:
My hat is off to you. I die after 2 miles, yet alone that many.

My hat is off to you.
Congrats Doc John, congrats. How come you didn't win ?

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Running? Running? I've heard of this. Do it? Nope; never.

Doc John, congratulations! Way to go!
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
i have run a few marathons in the past decade or 2
the sense when you get when you finished makes it all worth while
congrats on your run
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2009 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Do not run many long marathons..you will pay a price in the future I have made many long runs in the Marine corps,, Most of the guys I knew had many problems with thier feet and legs.years later .triathalongs or shorter ironman (Ialmost drown)O.K. better to do shorter runs,, much better ,,don,t care what you have to prove .. you need your legs
BUT congratulations,, I never ran over 12 miles..Takes guts & perseverence,and determination to run 26 miles
I will soon be in the Hoveround,,get winded walking the 3 blocks to the donut shoppe..
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

My hat is off to you.
Congrats Doc John, congrats. How come you didn't win ?

'Cause there are too many candles on my birthday cake! Actually, I had three goals in mind for this race:

1) Finish it
2) Don't throw up
3) Don't die

I achieved all three objectives! Regarding the throwing up part, I saw a LOT of people having ... uhhhh ... issues between mileposts 20 and 21, where we crossed the 14th street bridge (also I-395). One really stands out in my mind: some poor guy who must have had waaaaaay too much gatorade was getting rid of it the hard way on the bridge. His girlfriend was standing next to him saying "Honey, don't throw up!" like he had a choice in the matter. I hope he's OK!

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! Hell of a job!

That sort of thing would just kill me, outright.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
never run when you can walk
never walk when you can ride
never stand when you can sit
never sit when you can lay down
never, ever do today what you can put off until tomorrow

words to live by

John Stricker

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Running? Running? I've heard of this. Do it? Nope; never.

Doc John, congratulations! Way to go!

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job! The farthest I ever walk is 14 miles, and that takes me almost 4 hours, and I have to lay down for a few hours afterward. I can't imagine running or jogging that far.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Hey Doc - Congrats!!!! Next year if they have a Marine Corps Driveathon I'll be right there next to you :-)
Steve
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Cool beans. Well done. Congrats. I'm back in training for another mud run-like thing in March. I just have to find three other people crazy enough to join me. It's not 26 miles like yours. It's only 4.2 miles. But I think the crawling over and under things and swimming through the mud make up for some of the distance.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Cool beans. Well done. Congrats. I'm back in training for another mud run-like thing in March. I just have to find three other people crazy enough to join me. It's not 26 miles like yours. It's only 4.2 miles. But I think the crawling over and under things and swimming through the mud make up for some of the distance.

THANKS!

I think some of us from work might try this one next:

http://doughman.pratt.duke.edu/

I saw this on Man vs Food. It's a four person relay race. Each person has to eat a gut-buster of some sort, then run or bike or swim. YEAH, that sounds like fun!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock