Started on: 10-22-2009 01:13 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 10-24-2009 09:32 AM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I performed cataract surgery today on the work car. Due to the rocks and the sun's rays- the plastic lens started to fade.

I already had started on the drivers side. You can tell that the passenger headlamps is faded

The drivers side (completed)

The surgery start off by cleaning the lens- then using 500 grit + power drill.

Next- 800 grit.

Wet polishing (slurry build-up is produce).

Last- polish wax.

Completed

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-22-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Big improvement. Did a similiar thing with my Taurus (heh, that's the lenses they show on the 3M product) about a year ago. night and day difference!

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-22-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I didn't believe it at first so I tested the corner turn signal. Like you said, it's night and day difference. There's another product that you rub on the lens, but the 3M product uses a 5-stages- I'm sticking with this product. I might use it on the Fastback lens.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I have to do this on my damn Sebring and my 300M.Its starting on my buick but dosent need it yet. How does it work curly? Is it easy to do and does it leave any streeking behind or anything?
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
I used the same thing on my p/u and g/f buick. Worked great as you can see.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I have to do this on my damn Sebring and my 300M.Its starting on my buick but dosent need it yet. How does it work Curley? Is it easy to do and does it leave any streeking behind or anything?

I was a bit skeptical at first, so I did the corners first and later the serious areas. As you can see- its perfect; just keeps the drill moving or you'll grind right through the lens. Mask off your painted areas or you'll end up nicking the corners (I used painter tape, but regular tape should do just fine). So far, there's only one streak and it's near the turn signal on the driver's side. I was in a rush to get back to WCF before dark, but I can always go back and re-buff the little scratch out.

I purchased the 3M kit at Auto Zone, but any auto store should have them. It sells for less than $20 bucks, but there's cheaper products on the market ($10-bucks or so for a polish), but my lens were way pass there time for polishing (10-years). If you have deep nicks- you'll need to get down passed the nicks or chips using the 500 grit. Once that's done- the 800 grit cleans up the rough marks. The wet polishing is the main application that determines if you're doing a good job. You can actually see the details doing the wet polishing phase. The wax treatment is a piece of cake. Just keep the buffers moving or you'll end up burning the lens.

Edit: I forgot to add. Make sure during the wet polishing phase- continue to clean the polishing pad and spray the lens with water hose.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-22-2009).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I need to do this to my 2G Eclipse, so this is a good write up for me. Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock