Started on: 07-30-2009 05:00 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: OKflyboy on 08-27-2009 11:50 PM
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may remember, I just inherited my mom's former car, an '02 Z-28. It has the Factory premium sound system, the "Monsoon" system. I've heard that its hard to replace parts in a vehicle with the Monsoon system as it has separate Amplifiers for the speakers. I'm told because of this the deck and speakers cannot be easily replaced with cheaper "off the shelf" alternatives.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about replacing any of it, it really is a great sounding system, except that the passenger door speaker is blown and I'm left with no option to use my Creative Zen MP3 player.

The two things I'm hoping to do are:

1) Replace the blown speaker, but I need suggestions on a reasonably priced speaker (<$50 is my range, I'm told GM wants ~$150) that will work with a Monsoon system.

2) Be able to use my Creative Zen MP3 player. If upgrading the deck is not an easy option, I remember someone here using an adapter that plugged into the back of a factory GM stereo and turned the factory "CD changer" input into an AUX port. Anyone know about this?

Or, are the rumors about the Monsoon system, just that - rumors and I can use whatever speakers and deck I like?

------------------
"The flag should be displayed with the union down, as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 07-30-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have the "monsoon" system in my Solstice and you can find USED monsoon head units on ebay often....they play Mp3's and have an AUX jack...

Maybe like this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

------------------

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-30-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
Nothing else you can get one of those "in-line" modulators for the zen. Im about to do that myself for my Eldo, since its also got some custom stereo nonsense that is hooked to the ECM and i hate the cassette adaptors.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I originally used a P.I.E. GM9-AUX adapter with the Monsoon deck I installed in my Indy. This gives you 2 RCA inputs and you set your deck to AUX mode. Any MP3 can be connected if you have YOUR MP3 to RCA output adapter cable.

I later switched to a P.I.E PXDP iPod adapter when I bought a 80GB iPod classic. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

Replacement radios has an assortment of adapters http://replacementradios.co...ex.php?cPath=341_351

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I originally used a P.I.E. GM9-AUX adapter with the Monsoon deck I installed in my Indy. This gives you 2 RCA inputs and you set your deck to AUX mode. Any MP3 can be connected if you have YOUR MP3 to RCA output adapter cable.

I later switched to a P.I.E PXDP iPod adapter when I bought a 80GB iPod classic. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

Replacement radios has an assortment of adapters http://replacementradios.co...ex.php?cPath=341_351

Excellent! That's what I was looking for, thanks!

Oh, and I found a few Camaro door speakers on ebay in my price range.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

I have the "monsoon" system in my Solstice and you can find USED monsoon head units on ebay often....they play Mp3's and have an AUX jack...

Maybe like this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Except that's a Double DIN unit. The 2002 would be a 1.5 DIN unit meaning it wouldn't be a 'Plug 'n Play' and he'd be opening a big can of worms making it work.

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Well, I considered an adapter from Replacement Radios but the price and the disclaimer about how not all radios will work with the adapter, even if it appears to have the correct connections on the back, made me decided to pass on it.

I decided to go with a wired FM Modulator. It plugs in series between the factory antenna and the antenna port on the back of the radio. Supposedly its better then a wireless modulator because its connected directly to the stereo and cuts off incoming antenna signal while its powered on so its not competing with all the radio stations in town. It should arrive via fed-ex tomorrow and I happen to have the day off, so I'll report back after install and testing. Oh yeah, it was only $17.50 w/ free shipping.

As for the blown door speaker - The cheaper ones I found on ebay were not Monsoon speakers, they were just regular Camaro speakers. The Monsoon speakers are all over $100 a set and I've read that these door speakers blow repeatedly no matter what replacement speakers people use (factory Monsoon speakers or any aftermarkets). In that case I think I might just by a set of "Dual" speakers from work (about $25 after my discount), and just replace the blown one to eliminate the rattle, at least for the trip. When (not if, I guess) that one blows I'll have the other one from the set...

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-25-2009).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Contact Replacement Radios. It was started by Kru, a member here. I've done business with him and he knows his stuff and stands behind his work. If you give him your exact situation, he can probably tell you what will work and what won't.

This is where it all started: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/011110.html
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Well, I already bought the Modulator. If it doesn't work out, I'll give Kru a shout.

Thanks!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Have you tried Crutchfeild?
They have replacements for just about everything and a real good tech line.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0JceyLtdcfm/

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Have you tried Crutchfeild?
They have replacements for just about everything and a real good tech line.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0JceyLtdcfm/

Steve

Crutchfield's got some good stuff, no doubt. But I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. I've decided I want to keep the stock look, so replacing the whole head-unit is out. As long as the modulator works out okay, I think I'll be set.
PFF
System Bot
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
My family has had 3 vehicles with the Monsoon package, and in all 3 of them the amp didn't last very long. My mom's car (which pretty much never leaves the oldies station) had the amp replaced with an ebay model, but that one only lasted about 2 years as well. Just somethign to think about.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
They sell just speakers as well, take a look.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-25-2009 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Well, I considered an adapter from Replacement Radios but the price and the disclaimer about how not all radios will work with the adapter, even if it appears to have the correct connections on the back, made me decided to pass on it.

I decided to go with a wired FM Modulator. It plugs in series between the factory antenna and the antenna port on the back of the radio. Supposedly its better then a wireless modulator because its connected directly to the stereo and cuts off incoming antenna signal while its powered on so its not competing with all the radio stations in town. It should arrive via fed-ex tomorrow and I happen to have the day off, so I'll report back after install and testing. Oh yeah, it was only $17.50 w/ free shipping.

As for the blown door speaker - The cheaper ones I found on ebay were not Monsoon speakers, they were just regular Camaro speakers. The Monsoon speakers are all over $100 a set and I've read that these door speakers blow repeatedly no matter what replacement speakers people use (factory Monsoon speakers or any aftermarkets). In that case I think I might just by a set of "Dual" speakers from work (about $25 after my discount), and just replace the blown one to eliminate the rattle, at least for the trip. When (not if, I guess) that one blows I'll have the other one from the set...

$17? Where did you find that one, all the ones i have seen so far have been silly priced. For that ill buy one tomorrow for my Eldo and ditch the cassette adaptor.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

$17? Where did you find that one, all the ones i have seen so far have been silly priced. For that ill buy one tomorrow for my Eldo and ditch the cassette adaptor.

I got it from this guy on ebay but I've seen them similarly priced on Amazon.

It appears to be quite the bargain, but I wouldn't jump on it yet. I plan to install it as soon as FedEx drops it off so if you want to wait I'll let you know tomorrow evening if I think its worth the money.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-25-2009).]

Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if the 02 is any different, but my 97 Camaro has the monsoon system, and I was able to put in an aftermarket headunit. All the speakers still work. The Camaro's monsoon is set up with an amp that powers the rear 4 speakers with the headunit powering the front 4.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

I got it on from this guy on ebay but I've seen them similarly priced on Amazon.

It appears to be quite the bargain, but I wouldn't jump on it yet. I plan to install it as soon as FedEx drops it off so if you want to wait I'll let you know tomorrow evening if I think its worth the money.

Cool. ill hold off a day then not driving this week anyway
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Go to Crutchfield.com.

They have Aux input adapters that are designed to work with your radio.
I found one to work in my Sonoma. The headunit is identical to yours, except that it isn't a Monsoon.
It did, however, have the CD changer jack. Just like yours.

My adapter had two types of connections on it.
One for RCA cables (to use an adapter for a regular MP3 audio signal, which is what I used) and one for an iPod cable, which supposedly provided iPod control from the front panel of the radio.

It's not presently installed. (Sold the truck, but removed the adapter first.)
I'll try to get pics, later.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-25-2009).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Just arrived. I'll report back after install...
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-26-2009 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Go to Crutchfield.com.

They have Aux input adapters that are designed to work with your radio.
I found one to work in my Sonoma. The headunit is identical to yours, except that it isn't a Monsoon.
It did, however, have the CD changer jack. Just like yours.

My adapter had two types of connections on it.
One for RCA cables (to use an adapter for a regular MP3 audio signal, which is what I used) and one for an iPod cable, which supposedly provided iPod control from the front panel of the radio.

It's not presently installed. (Sold the truck, but removed the adapter first.)
I'll try to get pics, later.

Im sure they do have adaptors for everyone, but at 300 bucks might as well buy a decent after-market unit with an aux port.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

Im sure they do have adaptors for everyone, but at 300 bucks might as well buy a decent after-market unit with an aux port.

Exactly, I checked Crutchfield before buying but everything I found was 3 times the price of what I bought on ebay.

BTW, Installed and it works GREAT! Definitely worth the $17.50!

I took a few pictures, will upload after I finish making everything look good.
PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-26-2009 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Exactly, I checked Crutchfield before buying but everything I found was 3 times the price of what I bought on ebay.

BTW, Installed and it works GREAT! Definitely worth the $17.50!

I took a few pictures, will upload after I finish making everything look good.

Cool, ill order one myself for the big car. ( the fiero has an aux input )
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Out of the box (Not shown are the GM antenna adapters I had to buy. About $12 from Autozone):

Before:

During:

Rockin' out:

I meant to wire the switch to a switched 12v but I think I got the always-hot. The switch wasn't my first choice, I'd rather have a lighted one as a reminder when its on or not, but I already had this switch and I wanted to do this install on the cheap...

The switch is held in by a piece of plastic hot-glued in. Hot glue works great for this sort of project because its not permanent. When its time to sell this car and I want to put in back to stock, I can push the switch out and the stock plastic piece will snap back in place.

First impressions : Its a little quieter then the broadcast stations, even with the MP3 player at full volume but still sounds great, no interference sitting in my driveway. I'm a little tight for gas right now (enough to get me to work and back until payday, but not much more), so a true test drive wasn't in the cards. I'll let y'all know if I notice any competing stations bleeding through.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-26-2009).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-26-2009 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

During:

That panel just pull off? I wonder if mine will too, being GM.. but i doubt i get lucky and have air space in there
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Yup, the panel is just held on with a couple of clips. It just snaps on and off. I left the modulator on top on purpose. Its a 7 channel modulator so I figure if I do find there's some local interference with first station I set it to I want to be able to get to it easily to tweak.

I'm uploading a short video to youtube now but its going to take 1/2 hour to upload and who knows how long to process... I'll post a link when its done.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-26-2009).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
One thing that I do not know is if the ohm rating is very high on your stock speakers. On my Grand Am with Monsoon system, the door speakers were 16ohm instead of 4 or 8. I don't know how the stock deck will act with lower ohm speakers....if it makes any difference at all.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Now that "proof of concept" was done, I went ahead and installed a nicer switch backed with black abs:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-27-2009).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
If it is only the foam that is bad you may want to have it refurbished.
They have done many Fiero sub speakers for me for about $25 each..
They do many of the bands.
www.Speakerrepair.com

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 08-27-2009).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

If it is only the foam that is bad you may want to have it refurbished.
They have done many Fiero sub speakers for me for about $25 each..
They do many of the bands.
www.Speakerrepair.com

I haven't taken it out for a good look yet, but I'll keep 'em in mind. Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock