Started on: 06-20-2009 09:24 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: ryan.hess on 11-20-2009 05:02 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
http://movies.yahoo.com/fea...roland-emmerich.html

by Jonathan Crow    June 17, 2009
Few people have destroyed the world more than Roland Emmerich. In his mega-hit "Independence Day," aliens laid waste to pretty much every metropolitan center on the planet, and in his eco-thriller "The Day After Tomorrow," much of the northern hemisphere finds itself buried under ice. In his third crack at presenting the apocalypse, this fall's "2012," Emmerich taps into the angst of thousands of astrologers, doomsday enthusiasts, and conspiracy theorists who fear that a massive cataclysm will strike the earth on December 21 of that year. Yet unlike previous dates tied to the Earth's expiration, this one has its roots in various sources throughout history including interpretations of the Mayan calendar, astrology, and the ancient Chinese fortune-telling text the "I-Ching."

Watch the exclusive trailer for '2012' >>

The Mayan Calendar
2012 gained the patina of doom with the best-selling 1966 book "The Maya" by Harvard archeologist Michael D. Coe. He noted that the Mayan culture's famously complex "Long Count" calendar simply ends on 12/21/12, speculating that civilization might come crashing down on that date. Other scholars argue, however, that the Mayan calendar would merely flip over like an odometer that reached 100,000 miles.

Galactic Alignment
Astrologers have also pointed out that during the winter solstice of 2012, the orbital planes of the solar system and the twelve Zodiacal constellations will intersect with the "Dark Rift" -- a black bit of the Milky Way located next to Sagittarius. Some argue this intersection is precisely why the Mayans -- who were brilliant astronomers -- ended their calendar when they did. But other astrologers believe that this conjunction will usher in a great shift in consciousness.

Timewave Zero
And then there's ounterculture thinker Terence McKenna whose Timewave Zero theory -- drawing off of elements from the "I-Ching," the teachings of philosopher Alfred North Whitehead, and modern fractal mathematics -- which determined that 12/21/12 is, you guessed it, the exact date of a profound change in world. Roughly speaking, the Mayans, astrologers and McKenna are all predicting global doom or the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

Sunspots and Pole Problems
So if the apocalypse is set just in time for holiday shopping season three years from now, how exactly will the world end? One theory that actually has some traction in the scientific community is that a solar flare will cause a sudden shift in the magnetic orientation of the Earth's poles, causing all kinds of planetary problems like volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. NASA is predicting strong solar activity around 2012 and there's evidence that the magnetic poles are slowly weakening, something that reportedly presages a reversal. Of course, most scientists think that this reversal will take centuries, not days, to occur.

So how does Roland Emmerich end the world in his upcoming epic "2012"? "Pole reversal," he said in an interview this week. "All kinds of stuff going on. But it's basically major earthquakes and volcano eruptions which kind of cause this global flood."

"We found this obscure theory of 'Earth crust displacement,' written in the '50s by someone called Professor Hapgood. Albert Einstein wrote the foreword to his book. It pretty much [says] every X number of years the whole Earth's crust shifts, all together. We thought that that was a great underlining theory that can explain why there can be a flood."

And what is the director going to do in preparation for that fated date? When asked he said, "I'm a pretty down to earth guy. Even [though] I made movies about aliens, I don't believe in aliens. And I don't believe that the world will come to an end in 2012, but it's a great scenario."

To get a peek at the devastation Emmerich is bringing to the screen in "2012," which he says has more visual effects than any of his previous films, watch the exclusive trailer below.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
However entertaining this may be, barring a quantifiable event, such as an asteroid the size of Montana on a confirmed collision course with Earth, I doubt if anyone, including the Mayans, has the inside scoop on when it's curtains for old Mother Earth...speaking of the Mayans, if they're so damn smart, why aren't they still around?? (Guess they didn't see that coming, huh?)
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

However entertaining this may be, barring a quantifiable event, such as an asteroid the size of Montana on a confirmed collision course with Earth, I doubt if anyone, including the Mayans, has the inside scoop on when it's curtains for old Mother Earth...speaking of the Mayans, if they're so damn smart, why aren't they still around?? (Guess they didn't see that coming, huh?)

Rumor has it, they packed up and left the solar system.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
There will be a lot of craziness - because people want there to be a lot of craziness.
Ask any first responder if they get busier during the full moon.

Are the stars affecting people, or is it a self-fulfilling prophecy?

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
looks to be another fun disaster movie. No mention of Nirubu (planet X)
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
It's all pretty Y2K scary.
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2009 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

looks to be another fun disaster movie. No mention of Nirubu (planet X)

bwahaha
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
I just watched the movie and its not bad .
But at one point i knew its a movie because of the scene with the G8
and there was the german councelor and she was looking good instead of the original

othwerwise , letzs all start converting our Fieros to boats .... just instead it wasnt a movie
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

There will be a lot of craziness - because people want there to be a lot of craziness.
Ask any first responder if they get busier during the full moon.

Are the stars affecting people, or is it a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Or do a higher percentage of crazys get out at night,during a full moon, because they can see better.

[This message has been edited by Wolfhound (edited 11-20-2009).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

I just watched the movie and its not bad .
But at one point i knew its a movie because of the scene with the G8
and there was the german councelor and she was looking good instead of the original

othwerwise , letzs all start converting our Fieros to boats .... just instead it wasnt a movie

There was a guy on here who had actually converted his Fiero 2m4 into a boat...

I guess they would enter and exit through the sunroof area... but seemed pretty damned cool if you ask me.

Damn, that may need to be my next project.

How difficult would it be to graft a Boston Whaler bottom to the underside of a stripped Fiero? The doors would be welded shut, cut out most of the metal and just glass everything over into one big tub. Then re-assemble all of the panels onto the body, and glass them over too. Seal in the wheel wells to make it flush...

Would be pretty damned cool...

Here's one...

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/ebay-fiero-boat/#4

And here's another, but it looks like the same car with a new paintjob:

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

actually - they did see it coming

anyways - the previews for this look SSOO good
cant wait to watch it
PFF
System Bot
Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Rumor has it, they packed up and left the solar system.

So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Sorry, had to.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

actually - they did see it coming

anyways - the previews for this look SSOO good
cant wait to watch it

Sarcasm me thinks?
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
The 35ft tall Niburu aliens took the Mayans with them. Now the 35ft tall Niburu aliens are returning, for us.

Are we a food source? Who knows..

build your underground bunkers stock up on ammo, weapons, spam, fresh water and plenty of toilet paper.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

a self-fulfilling prophecy?

This is why I'll be staying inside that week.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock