Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Changing Transmission Filter Causing Tranny Failure?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Changing Transmission Filter Causing Tranny Failure? by ohioindy
Started on: 05-15-2009 07:51 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Kekipi on 05-15-2009 05:21 PM
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this is bad luck or what

Many moons ago, I had an 78 Chevy heavy half pick up got it for next to nothing so I was changing all the fluids and filters and I changed the tranny fluid and filter. 3 weeks later the tranny died, sold the truck

Fast forward a few years. Had a Plymouth Voyager 100K + on the odometer. Thought it would be wise to change the tranny fluid and filter. 90 days later tranny died.

More fast forward. 3 years ago on my 99 Silverado 120K + on the odometer same deal, the tranny dies 5 days after.

Last weekend I noticed on the same Silverado 190 K on the odometer the tranny fluid looked just a fuzz dark.

Now the point of the tread. Do I change the fluid and filter?
Is there something by changing the fluid and filter that would cause tranny failure? In all of the above one of the gears got stripped.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
well, there are those who say "don't change the fluid after 100K". And I agree, unless your fluid is looking bad, but by then you probably have other problems. I know on my Aztek the fluid was fine, but the tranny was going anyway. Another thing to consider, did you use the correct tranny fluid?

J.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Another thing to consider, did you use the correct tranny fluid?

J.

My first thought.

Ron
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
Yes...In case #2 and case #3, I double checked the fluid type knowing what happened in case #1

[This message has been edited by ohioindy (edited 05-15-2009).]

CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:
Do I change the fluid and filter?

No. I am a believer in the "don't change it if it has never been changed after 100K" school.
I have seen too many failures after that. And it seems that you have as well. Change the fluid, flush the system, but don't change the filter. I have seen that work. But everytime that I know of where someone has actually changed the filter itself after 100k when it has never been done before I have seen nothing but failure.
I don't know of the reason....I have heard many. The one thing I know is that if it were my vehicle I would not change the filter. Period.

But that is just my opnion and experience. I am sure that there are others out there who will call me an a--clown because of it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
No, it's not you, but it's also not co-incidence...

The PROBLEM is... that, if a transmission isn't serviced regularly... IE: every 30-60k miles, then what happens is the old transmission fluid begins to deteriorate. The contaminents in the fluid begin to stick to everything, including seals, and discs, etc. Now, what happens when you put new fluid in, is that the newer fluid will actually clean the transmission. Newer fluid for obvious reasons has more of it's caustic properties than older oil does. So... all that gunk that's now "protecting" the old hardened seals, will get flushed out. And now suddenly, your seals fail... and the transmission fails, and things like preventing you from being able to shift into gear, or upshifting, etc... that all starts to become a problem.

In cases like this, it's NEVER a mechanical problem as changing the fluid simply cannot cause mechanical failure unless you're simply not using ENOUGH fluid. However, the damage that is caused (as explained) is usually with regards to the seals, etc. This usually requires a rebuild of the valve body... which in most cars requires you to remove the transmission. :/

One thing you CAN do, however, is to change out the fluid little by little.

For example, take a quart out (using a hand pump with a tube stuck down into the dipstick tube). And replace the fluid with new fluid, 1 quart at a time, every month, until your fluid is genuinely clear, and then you can swap out the filter too. The thing is... as I explained, the gunk from the old oil creates a seal around the old seals. This is good and bad, but bad in that it prevents the seals from getting fresh oil for LONG periods of time. The fresh oil actually keeps seals "swelled" and prevents leaks, but when they become saturated in old caked on deposits, it can cause them to deteriorate, get overheated, and crack.

By introducing a little bit of new fluid at a time, you stand a better chance of allowing those seals to slowly soak back up that new oil and swell up again, while at the same time, cleaning the contaminantes. It's not a sure fire way, but it beats doing it all at once and blowing your transmission.

I suggest doing it every 35k miles. I've done that on the Th-125 in my Fiero and I used to do neutral drops ALL the time when I first got the car (before I knew it was bad). It's still a totally solid transmission 13 years later (from my neutral drop phase).

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yup, as above
if the fluid is not regularly changed - dont change it.
either do it on schedule - or not at all.

anyone got thoughts on a slow fluid replacement on a high milage never flushed tranny? drain a quart, put a quart in? repeat weekly
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
My 99 Silverado has 248,XXX miles on it. I have changed the fluid and filter 5 or 6 times since I bought the truck new. The last 3 or 4 changes have been after the 100,000 mile mark and I have never had a problem (except the time I accidentally disconnected the 2-3 shift servo). I even tow with it (6000 lbs average) once or twice a month.

Now I'm scared to touch it.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
My 99 Silverado has 248,XXX miles on it. I have changed the fluid and filter 5 or 6 times since I bought the truck new. The last 3 or 4 changes have been after the 100,000 mile mark and I have never had a problem (except the time I accidentally disconnected the 2-3 shift servo). I even tow with it (6000 lbs average) once or twice a month.

dont be - you've done the regular changes - so the tranny is happy. keep doing what you are doing. it is the RIGHT way to maintain a trans.
Kekipi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post
OK here's my explanation, the clutch friction material is floating in the fluid giving the worn clutches grip. Take out the old fluid and presto the clutches slip.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I had that EXACT problem after I bought my yellow Formula. The auto tranny was shifting funny, I did the filter and fluid change, and it got WORSE.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

No, no... don't be confused. The problem is if it's changed AFTER 100k miles where by NO PREVIOUS SERVICE HAD BEEN PERFORMED.

If you changed your fluid AT LEAST ONCE before 100,000 miles, then you're TOTALLY ok...

Really, transmission fluid NEEDS to be changed every 65k miles.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
The first thing I did when I bought my truck was to put an external filter and cooler on it. After driving for a couple of months, I figured that all of the particles should have been caught by the filter so I flushed the whole system and put in new fluid. I bought the truck with 120k on it and no idea if the previous owner ever replaced the fluid.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Rule is if tranny has never been routinely serviced per maint schedule, DONT EVER mess with it. Anyone that did change fluid / filter lost that transmission within a month or so. The grit and crap in the old fluid is the only thing keeping it still reasonably working. Take that out and its toast really quick....as you already just found out.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
So if you are changing the transmission fluid at regular intervals from the beginning of having the car new or slightly used, is there any purpose in this transmission FLUSHING? Why is that necessary? Why can't you just change the fluid and filter?

What is the difference in price?

Thanks. Interesting discussion.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

...is there any purpose in this transmission FLUSHING?

I believe it's beneficial to the lining of the pockets of the tranny shop owner.

Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post
That's how we make our money. To drop the pan and change the filter I use about 3 to 4 Qt. To flush the system I use 10 to 12 Qt. The Torque converter holds about 6 qt and the lines all have dirty fluid so why not get all of it out.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock