Started on: 01-05-2009 11:45 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: jaskispyder on 06-24-2009 12:53 PM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
2001 Aztek. The BCM is going out and I would like to change it myself and take it to the dealer to have it programmed. Anyone know for sure if I can replace the BCM, drive it to the dealer and have them program it? Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I just posted something about this recently - I had the BCM flake out on my 02 Malibu.
someone mentioned the dealer would install & program a BCM I brought them for $100 - which I think is pretty fair. but, it was also mentioned that anyone with newer "scantools", and has reasonable skills, can do the programming - iot is just enabling or disabling the few options the BCM controls.

edit: lol - nm - that was you

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 01-05-2009).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, my dealer was pretty cheap, but I have been putting off this project because it is just more money down the drain. Did you get your BCM replaced?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
nope. it just needed to be reset. when I unhooked the battery, and hooked it back up, the BCM came back to life, and all its little functions worked again.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
What are the symptoms? Lights, radio, etc. flickering out? There's a common problem with BCMs on LS1 F-bodies I read about on LS1Tech.com. There's a terminal on the circuit board that wasn't soldered correctly and vibration causes it to crack and lose connection. Just resoldering that terminal can fix the issue - if it's the same problem.

So a search for BCM problems on LS1Tech and you'll find tons of info on it.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
around town it is fine. It seems to be more heat related... after a long trip I shut down the engine and restart and it may or may not crank at first, then once it starts the dash lights (warning lights) all blink on and off. The gauges spike up and down. The dinger may go off. The power locks with not function and neither will the keyless fobs. The headlights won't turn on. I can put the car in gear and it runs and moves, then all is well with the dash. the locks may not function still, though.

If I let it cool down, all is well.

J.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
here is how to remove it. The Aztek one looks like it has more connections than the one on the LS1tech.com site.

http://www.carspace.com/gui...val-and-installation

But it may be worth a try to fix it. It sounds like I can replace it and take it to the dealer to have programmed (based on the site above).

J.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
thet only way ive found out about retuning a BCM is take it to a dealer that will do it. it can only be done with a TECH II. or you could snag one off ebay for like 8 G's. lol.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
bump....

Well today the inside dinger was going off and the little display said key fob was low on battery and service vehicle soon (not the service engine light) was flashing. pulled the BCM fuse and waited a minute. All was as normal after.

I guess I need to see about changing this BCM... BTW, this was just starting the thing and running it... it wasn't heat related.

Anyone out there with more info on the ability to swapping the unit with a new one and then run to the dealer for programming?

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 01-07-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
where is it located in the vehicle? my blazer, same as the s10 and others of that body style, has it right under/infront of the heatercore. my core was leaking and fried my BCM. swapped it out with another ebay one, it worked, but it was missing some of the LT features as the replacement was a LS one. but after a couple of months of turning the truck on and off, some features became available again. like the PKE and auto headlights. just something to think about. GM is funny and not consistant with their stuff.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
it is located in the center console and you have to pull the fuse panel with it to get it out. WTF?

Anyway the tech at the dealer said it won't start until it is programmed... but I don't believe this.... they are there to sell service.
PFF
System Bot
pontiacman63383

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
Push comes to shove your old BCM is programmed to your car either way so, buy the new BCM and plug it in if it does not start take the new one out and put the old one in and drive it to the dealer swap it there and have them come out and program it. Im pretty sure on the 2001 that it will have to be programmed before it will work but you can give it a try.
sublime922

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
i would be careful with that. just had to help my dad figure it out on an 03 monte carlo. the original one just started going bad and soon the car was all sorts of weird. he bought a new one to put in and the car will not start until its programmed. then putting the old one back in to get to the dealership, it was worse then before. i would go to the dealership with a new one, purchased elsewhere and cheaper, and ask them to reflash your original one first and see if it works. if not, they can put the new one in and program it there. i would also call ahead and find a place that will do something like this for you, i think it was around $70 or something. one place we called said they wouldnt do it unless we bought it from them and set up an appointment for service. it does take a little while to do the programming, but you should be able to drive out of there with it working.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I found one for $152 online vs $301 at the dealer ... same part number. Local shop wanted $400!!! for the same part. I am going to call local shop and ask if they will install my part. Dealer said $140 to install and program it. 1.8 hours labor.

J.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I didnt read the posts.. So this may be double info. I have an 02 Aztek. I started losing AC controls, power locks, and couldnt get the hatch open at all. I also had intermittent start problems. Pulled the BCM fuse and it would then work fine again. Used to last a month before fuse pulls, then only a week, then it was daily. I bought my BCM from www.monsterpartsonline.com, cause it's far cheaper, and installed it myself using the same link you posted. Very easy to install. Think it took me an hour maybe. Ended up finding some broken tranny shoft wires at the same time, and I replaced them also. I then drove it to the dealer (15 mins away) and had them program it. They quoted 1 hour labor to program at $90, but then added "environmental surcharges" and some sort of materials fees of like $15 or $20 plus tax.. Think it was $119.00 or so out the door. The dealer argued with me that it was not BCM related, and more like switches and wiring. Basically told me I was wasting my money, and time. They also told me the BCM would not fix the problem. Said it needed new locks for the hatch...Blah blah.. Well, it's been 3 months and the Tek runs perfectly. The new BCm fixed it 100 percent. The same crappy dealer told me there was no problem driving the new BCMed vehicle in. They said there was no "shut off" that would permanantly burn the ECM if driven too long unprogrammed, or anything like that. (The forums said otherwise). I can say my 15 minutes drive to the dealer didnt cause any problems. Also suggest when you pull the tranny shifter plastic cover off to look at the little wire harness that moves with the selector. It's got really thin wires and mine had pulled away causing me intermittent start problems.. I replaced the pins with a wire fix kit and used a bit higher gauge wire.. Good luck

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I fixed a shifter wire, but the no/delay start only happens when the BCM acts up (dash lights, etc)... Good to know that I can swap the part. Do you have the part number of the BCM?

I am looking at 15235418

Thanks!
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
It's 15235418. You definitely have to have the dealer flash it for you, but it will start the car and get you to the dealer when you install it. Good luck.. When I did mine, I pulled the battery cable going to the fuse box cable and cleaned it with "deoxit" I believe that is the name.. it's a little can of spray cleaner from Radio Shack. There was a lot of corrosion on that connection. I also used it on the wire harness that plugs into the BCM. There was some talk that the corrosion on cabling was causing electrical spikes to fry the BCM. Since I had no idea if it was true, I cleaned and sprayed all the contacts down to be safe. Runs good now.
sublime922

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
wow 1.8 hours labor... they probly havent done very many there before. my dealership the guy was done in about half an hour or so with it. its a bit of long procedure and all, but not two hours. especially if you come with part in hand and theres nothing in the way of it for them to remove or replace. sounds like they arent sure about doing it or they are making up for not selling the part itself to you
jerry455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerry455Send a Private Message to jerry455Direct Link to This Post
labor times are set up for all dealers to follow. it is set up by gm dealers can't add to it with out good reason.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Update: I ordered the the part from Monsterpartsonline.com and installed it myself. It was very easy and is like installing a radio, in difficulty.

I drove it to the dealer and they programmed it for $34 and the Aztek isn't giving me the light show any more. Next on the list is the noise from the tranny (pump or torque converter, but shifts just fine).

J.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock