Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Can you legally do this to front turn signals?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Can you legally do this to front turn signals? by pavo_roddy
Started on: 04-17-2009 06:19 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: CoolBlue87GT on 04-19-2009 11:21 AM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Since I live in WI, I am pretty sure that this would be legal here, but not sure about federal laws...... So if anyone could help me out that would awesome!! Even if it's just a lead!!

To jog everyone's memory, there is a person who runs a business that advertises here.... Webelectricproducts.com, he sells amongs other things, and intermittent turn signal indicator kit. When used on a notch back fiero, it would lite the brake/turnsignal lites 1 at a time..........

Can you do the same on front turn signals?

As above, any help would be awesome, esp., if it's a lead!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
I don't know the legality of it, but if it is legal to have rear sequential signals I don't see why it wouldn't be legal in the front either.

If on a Fiero, however, there is only one bulb in front, so you would have to modify the front signals to accept multiple bulbs (and probably optics) to get a sequential effect.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
In many states it is NOT legal to have rear sequential turn signals, unless the vehicle came with them from the factory.

BUT, on a note: I have never been pulled over for my sequential lamps. Ever. As a matter of fact, a lot of people, including officers have commented on them.

I live in Minnesota, and the state law here says it is not legal.

Putting it on the front would pose some challenges, as there is only one lamp. Now, replacing with an LED Amber turn signal module is possible, but you have to work out the grounding issues with the lamps up there.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
the trouble you may run into in the front is the problem with impersonating an emergency vehicle. this is why police aren't too keen on red, or blue turn signal bulbs.

it's a neat idea and if you can make it work, it would be very unique. i would ask a police officer, or contact wisconsin's DOT for specific laws regarding this.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

In many states it is NOT legal to have rear sequential turn signals, unless the vehicle came with them from the factory.

BUT, on a note: I have never been pulled over for my sequential lamps. Ever. As a matter of fact, a lot of people, including officers have commented on them.

Putting it on the front would pose some challenges, as there is only one lamp. Now, replacing with an LED Amber turn signal module is possible, but you have to work out the grounding issues with the lamps up there.

Hi all

This is good news indeed! Does anyone know what would happen if your driving cross country to a car show or something, and you have sequential turn signals in a state that it is illegal to have, as long as your home state is legal?

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

pavo_roddy

4351 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by fastblack:

it's a neat idea and if you can make it work, it would be very unique. i would ask a police officer, or contact wisconsin's DOT for specific laws regarding this.

HI all

Thanx for this reminder!! Real stupid of me for not thinking this earlier......lol....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

RKB75

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RKB75Send a Private Message to RKB75Direct Link to This Post
I seen it done before with a set of semi truck lights. Here is a picture of them.
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-18-2009 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I think that is the case in most states.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RKB75:

I seen it done before with a set of semi truck lights. Here is a picture of them.

I saw a Fiero at the 2004 Dells Run that had those, I put the vid I had of them on Youtube for you.

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6stFIXpw7is

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 04-19-2009).]

Red2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red2m4Send a Private Message to Red2m4Direct Link to This Post
Pavo - I believe the federal car regulations are mostly in regard to manufacturing cars and selling them. If its legal to install that type of turn signal in your state, I don't believe that you'd have any problems.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

Hi all

This is good news indeed! Does anyone know what would happen if your driving cross country to a car show or something, and you have sequential turn signals in a state that it is illegal to have, as long as your home state is legal?

So long as your car is registered and tagged in the state, the car would be considered a sovereignty of that State.

So instance, gun laws in states vary on CC or storage. Like storing it in a glove box loaded, unless you possess a CCP, is illegal, but in other states it is not. But if your car is tagged in the state that is not, you can keep it in the glove box loaded in any state.

So if sequential lights are legal in your state, you don't have to worry about it while traveling to others.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

I saw a Fiero at the 2004 Dells Run that had those, I put the vid I had of them on Youtube for you.

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6stFIXpw7is

Love it !
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

8408 posts
Member since Apr 2001

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 04-19-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
They look cool but I can see where they would be confused with an emergency light on a dark night.
Funny story not related to lights, when I first got my GT the owner before me hooked up the alarm siren to the horn. I was cut off at a light a few days later and hit the horn, the guy that cut me off pulled over because he thought I was a cop. I can see this happening to me with the lights and someone calling the cops on me, I wouldn't get a ticket for the lights but you can bet they would ticket me for impersonating a cop and pulling people over. LOL I removed the siren because it was too much of a temptation and I use my horn all of the time.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Here's neat setup. (on an Eclipse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6sZg3iL5EY

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock