Tesla Model S - Sweet Electric Car by Bullet
Started on: 03-31-2009 01:58 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Tony Kania on 03-31-2009 06:23 PM
Bullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post
These guys may have somthing here......I know I would consider one of these as an everyday driver. That makes it the first Electric car I would say that about.

What do you think?

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php

------------------
Click Here For Pics Of My Car

[This message has been edited by Bullet (edited 03-31-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hehe. Right out the box and it's better than GM's Volt. However, 49k isn't something to laugh about.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I think it's beautiful. If the specs are right, it really could be a daily driver electric car.
The only real warning is the Tesla Roadster has a range of "200 miles" but in race conditions on the Top Gear test track, they fully drained one in about 60 miles, IIRC. Driving style can DRASTICALLY shorter your battery reserve. They need a good way to predict remaining mileage to keep you from getting stranded.
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post
beautiful beautiful one charge would last me a few days back and forth to work.. Wonder how much the power bill would go up.. Just gotta find that extra $49k+ I lost under the couch cushion the other day.

------------------
Ray - 1988 Fiero 4cyl/5spd <-- Hopefully soon
Growing database of Links for Fiero's

IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Hehe. Right out the box and it's better than GM's Volt. However, 49k isn't something to laugh about.

Yeah it is. GM wants to charge $49k for a truck. I think the original price tag for the Tesla was over 100k so 50k is fantastic.
Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

"In his remarks, Musk billed the Model S as the first mass-market, highway-ready electric vehicle. And, he said, the price is comparable to that of a $35,000 gasoline-powered car such as a Ford Taurus, assuming gas prices of about $4 a gallon.

"Would you rather have this car, or would you rather have a Ford Taurus?" Musk asked the crowd of journalists."

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
I think it's beautiful. If the specs are right, it really could be a daily driver electric car.
The only real warning is the Tesla Roadster has a range of "200 miles" but in race conditions on the Top Gear test track, they fully drained one in about 60 miles, IIRC. Driving style can DRASTICALLY shorter your battery reserve. They need a good way to predict remaining mileage to keep you from getting stranded.

yes, I saw that one too
the recommendation was to get 2 or 3, so you can have one on charge, while driving the other - being that recharge time was over 10 hours
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm down for one.

I don't mind white or pearl white but I think I would rather another color. It has a vintage Jag look to it so maybe a deep green.
I wonder what the actual color options will be.

Doesn't matter so much cause I want one anyway.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:
the recommendation was to get 2 or 3, so you can have one on charge, while driving the other

Let's see. I have two Fieros, a CJ 7, a Tacoma 4X4, ....... maybe I can get by with just one.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bullet:

"Would you rather have this car, or would you rather have a Ford Taurus?" Musk asked the crowd of journalists."

If I had 49k laying around, I'd buy it, but maybe the 2nd year model (never buy the first year model cause you know there's some bugs that will need addressing). As for styling... GM's Volt concept did look good, but if history has anything to say about it.... GM will once again will drop the ball. However, the Tesla comes out right out of the box with Euro styling cues.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
Let's see. I have two Fieros, a CJ 7, a Tacoma 4X4, ....... maybe I can get by with just one.

yes, those of us who have fleets - heck yeah!
PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IEatRice:
I think the original price tag for the Tesla was over 100k so 50k is fantastic.

You're confusing Tesla models (Roadster vs. S). That's like me saying the original price for a Chevy was 100K (Corvette ZR1) so 25K (Cobalt) is fantastic.

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 03-31-2009).]

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post
"Three battery pack options offer a range of 160, 230 or 300 miles per charge. With the 45 minute QuickCharge or a 5 minute battery swap, you can drive from LA to San Francisco, Washington to New York or take even longer road trips in about the same time as in a conventional car. "

A 5 minute battery change?....I'd like to see that.

45 minute QuickCharge.....can it really be fully charged in 45 mins.....thats fast...isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Bullet (edited 03-31-2009).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bullet:
"Three battery pack options offer a range of 160, 230 or 300 miles per charge. With the 45 minute QuickCharge or a 5 minute battery swap, you can drive from LA to San Francisco, Washington to New York or take even longer road trips in about the same time as in a conventional car. "

A 5 minute battery change?....I'd like to see that.

45 minute QuickCharge.....can it really be fully charged in 45 mins.....thats fast...isn't it?

nice - tho, I'd expect there would need to be actual "quickchange stations" along the way, eh? carrying extras with you kinda defeats the purpose
but - another step in the right direction
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
reminds me of this http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/

but I think the karma is better looking
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Where does it say a Quick Charge is "fully charged?"
Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Where does it say a Quick Charge is "fully charged?"

It dosen't, thats why I was asking. But I just found this in the FAQs

3) How quickly does it charge?

a. Model S can charge to 80% of capacity in as little as 45 minutes. Standard charging times will vary depending on battery capacity, ranging from approximately 3 to 5 hours.

here are the rest of the FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What is the price of Model S?

a. Model S will start at $49,900, after a $7,500 federal tax credit.

2) What is the range on one charge?

a. The range per charge will depend on which battery you have installed. The base model will have an estimated range of 160 miles per charge. There will also be batteries available that can travel approximately 230 miles and 300 miles per charge.

3) How quickly does it charge?

a. Model S can charge to 80% of capacity in as little as 45 minutes. Standard charging times will vary depending on battery capacity, ranging from approximately 3 to 5 hours.

4) How many people and how much cargo can it hold?

a. Model S can seat up to 7 people, with room for 5 adults, plus 2 child seats in the rear. There is more storage capacity than most stations wagons, and the large rear opening allows for the flexibility to carry large objects that cannot fit in the trunk opening of a traditional sedan.

5) How fast is it?

a. 0-60 mph is achieved in 5.6 seconds, but more importantly the electric powertrain provides instant torque at any speed resulting in immediate acceleration whenever it is needed. As a real world performer the Model S will have no equals.

6) What options are going to be available?

a. Final options are still being determined but following are some of the planned highlights:

i. Panoramic roof with sliding moon roof.
ii. Automatic open and close liftgate.
iii. 300-mile and 230-mile batteries
iv. Remote vehicle management, including; charging, personalization and customization, and data collection.

7) How long will the battery last?

a. Battery life is dependent on many factors, including; mileage, age, temperature extremes, and charge cycles. In general you should expect a Model S battery to have a useful life between 5 and 7 years, but proper care can result in a 10-year life.

8) Will you offer financing and/or lease options?

a. Yes. It is our intention to offer conventional financing options on Model S.
Purchase Questions

1) What is the price of Model S?

a. Model S will start at $49,900, after a $7,500 federal tax credit.

2) How do I buy a Model S?

a. Visit the Buy page and follow the steps to reserve your Model S now. The Buy page can be reached from a tab at the top of most teslamotors.com pages labeled “Buy.”

3) When will Model S deliveries begin?

a. Deliveries of the Signature Series Model S will begin at the end of 2011 with deliveries of the standard model beginning in early 2012.

4) Will you be selling Model S in my country?

a. You can buy a Model S if you live in the United States, any EU-plus country, or Canada. Signature edition models will be available in the U.S. and EU-plus countries only.

5) How are Model S reservations prioritized?

a. After an initial preference has been given to existing Roadster customers, prioritization will be determined by when your completed reservation agreement and reservation funds are received by Tesla. In other words, first come, first served.

6) Will Roadster Owners be given referral spots for friends?

a. Yes. Each Roadster owner will get 5 referral spots that can be used prior to June 30, 2009. After this date Roadster friends will be prioritized with general public.

7) How do I submit my reservation payment?

a. If you visit the Buy page and begin the reservation process you will be given instructions on sending your payment to Tesla. Credit cards, wires, and checks are all accepted.

8) Is my deposit refundable?

a. Yes. If you decide to request a refund prior to selecting your final options you will be charged a $250 processing fee. If you request a refund after selecting your options you will lose a larger portion of your deposit, outlined in the reservation agreement.

9) Will production numbers be given?

a. Yes. Production numbers will be communicated after May 1, 2009, once we have sorted through the early surge of reservations.

10) Will Roadster owners be given a discount on Model S?

a. Yes. Roadster owners will be given a discount on the Signature Series of Model S. In the United States this discount will be $10,000, €8K in the EU, and £7,000 in the UK.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2009 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Information is pulled from Car and Driver May 2009 Vo. 54 #11

That is one great looking electric! Now, if only they are still around by the end of the year? Seems that Tesla is having some company wide problems. I had just finished reading about the Tesla Roadster in the latest issue of Car and Driver. The man who created this company, Elon Musk, had recently replaced over half of the management there. It seems that many that were running the company, were cooking the books a bit. The original price of the Tesla Roadster, when folks scrambled to put down their deposits, was $92,950. It seems that of late the price is now nearing $126,000. Everything is now an option. The $3,000 quick charger allows for a 3 to 4 hour charge. The $1,500 mid charger plug does it in 8 to 10 hours. Otherwise the "stock" plug take 37 plus hours for a full charge? Premium paint will set you back $2,300. A mobile power cord is $1,500. Clear adhesive paint protection is $1,495. Premiem seat $1,800. The author for Car and Driver states the seats are like black paint on the firewall. It also says that customers who plunked down their deposits, but were still waiting for delivery, were told to agree to the higher prices or their cars wouldn't be built. The Roadster has a max range of 240 miles. But a 0 to 60 time of 4.1 sec. 1/4 mile comes by at 13.2 @ 103 mph. I kind of don't believe the $50,000 claim for their 7 seater.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock