Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Alright Al. You And Your Nobel Prize Have Some 'Splainin' To Do (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Alright Al. You And Your Nobel Prize Have Some 'Splainin' To Do by whadeduck
Started on: 01-20-2009 05:36 PM
Replies: 113
Last post by: Steve25 on 04-03-2009 08:28 PM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Global warming my patootie. It was snowing here in Myrtle Beach today and it's still below freezing. Care to explain that inconvenient truth Albert?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Snowing in Myrtle Beach @ 5:36 pm today? Obviously then, it's Obamas fault.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Snowing in Myrtle Beach @ 5:36 pm today? Obviously then, it's Obamas fault.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I hate it when the truth gets in the way. That's why they do not call it convenient, .
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, Obama will still very likely push through very strict anti-Global Warming legislation. It's going to be really interesting to be living through a repeat of the "little ice age" with politicians who are telling us "GLOBAL WARMING IS ACCELERATING! WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!"
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
My hope is that over a period of a few months the greater common sense will kick in and with all the other problems it will shift to the back burner. By then perhaps the science will finally be seen generally that shows the Global Warming Swindle to be what it is.

Arn
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Well For those who dont believe in Warming. Well when I was a kid I remember lots of snow in eastern colorado. Now were lucky to see 10 inches in all of winter.
I see more 50 and 60 deg days through the winter then alot of southern states. Yes this is in Colorado in the winter. We dont see rain eather. It left and went somewere else.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_Fiero_2M4:

It left and went somewere else.

It just isn't dropping until it gets farther east.

We have had near record snow fall.
justinchristie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieDirect Link to This Post
I think Global Warming is just another term that is over-used, mis-used, and mis-understood.

"Climate Change" is the proper word IMO, and I agree the climate IS changing - whether it be cooling or warming, good or bad, cyclical or not.

We (Southern Ontario) got absolutely hammered with snow last year 2007/2008, then we were walloped rain this year (2008) in the spring/summer, and the precipitation is continuing into the winter months in the form of snow again. They are already saying we might break the record for snow fall that was set last year at this time; in the Greater Toronto Area.

I've definitely noticed a change in the last 5 years. Especially the high winds and rain fall in the summer months - there were some crazy days in June/uly 2008.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 3.4L | The Fiero Blog (Since April 2000)
-----------------------------------------------------------
My Portfolio site | JustinChristie.ca

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've actually read GW articles that say GW can cause severe winters and heavy snowfall.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
I've actually read GW articles that say GW can cause severe winters and heavy snowfall.

and - it can cause draughts & floods, winds and no winds - rain and no rain....the truth is: NOONE KNOWS.

go and get someone to express the "worst case" scenarios.
PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
Yet in WV, we havent had more than 3-4 inches fall at any given time in almost 10 years, i think 1994 or so was the last good snowfall we had, about 18" fell in 36 hours

now that being said, parts of WV have seen great snowfall's but charleston WV has not seen a good snowfall in years, i think we got about 2 inches the last week of 0-30 degree weather.

matthew
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Yep Car smog causes global warming just like second hand smoke causes Lung cancer. Let me smoke and I will let you drive your car.
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
Antarctica is warming, not cooling: study

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15pm GMT

http://uk.reuters.com/artic...dUKTRE50K5BM20090121

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

ROTHERA BASE, Antarctica (Reuters) - Antarctica is getting warmer rather than cooling as widely believed, according to a study that fits the icy continent into a trend of global warming.

A review by U.S. scientists of satellite and weather records for Antarctica, which contains 90 percent of the world's ice and would raise world sea levels if it thaws, showed that freezing temperatures had risen by about 0.5 Celsius (0.8 Fahrenheit) since the 1950s.

"The thing you hear all the time is that Antarctica is cooling and that's not the case," said Eric Steig of the University of Washington in Seattle, lead author of the study in Thursday's edition of the journal Nature.

The average temperature rise was "very comparable to the global average," he told a telephone news briefing.

Skeptics about man-made global warming have in the past used reports of a cooling of Antarctica as evidence to back their view that warming is a myth.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_Fiero_2M4:

Yep Car smog causes global warming just like second hand smoke causes Lung cancer. Let me smoke and I will let you drive your car.

I don't mind smoking, just don't do it while I am eating. If you don't mind me driving over you while you smoke, I guess that you can smoke while I eat. (PS, I smoked for 20 years.)
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by connecticutFIERO:

Antarctica is warming, not cooling: study

The same article points out that the warming is on the west side of Antarctica not the east, which is cooling. It also points out that ocean currents can account for this.

Lest we forget Al Nina and Al Nino.

Arn
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Climate Models Overheat Antarctica, New Study Finds

This map of Antarctica shows the approximate boundaries of areas that have warmed or cooled over the past 35 years. The map is based on temperatures in a recently-constructed data set by NCAR scientist Andrew Monaghan and colleagues. The data combines observations from ground-based weather stations, which are few and far between, with analysis of ice cores used to reveal past temperatures. (Credit: Illustration by Steve Deyo, UCAR)
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27083 posts
Member since Aug 2000
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27083 posts
Member since Aug 2000
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Surprise! There’s an active volcano under Antarctic ice

People are the leading cause of volcano's. All the moving about we do causes vibrations that set off the volcano's. In order to fund more study a moving about tax/credit plan will be needed. For those that need to move about more you can pay for moving about credits.

If you really love your planet you can start helping by stopping moving around as much as possible. Plan your movements carefully. See if you can do your moving about at the same time do someone else's moving about. Buy only approved moving about shoes.

Working together we can stop moving about and that helps everyone.

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
You can't use outdated misinterpreted research to argue science.

http://www.usatoday.com/tec...rctica-warming_N.htm

Updated 8h 30m ago

WASHINGTON — The Earth's lone holdout to climate change, Antarctica, is actually warming, says a new study in today's edition of the journal Nature.

Scientists had long thought that while some isolated parts of Antarctica had been warming, much of the continent had been cooling over the past 50 years. But the new analysis found that since 1957, when measured as a whole, the continent's temperature has risen about 1 degree Fahrenheit .

"The thing you hear all the time is that Antarctica is cooling — and that's not the case," says study lead author Eric Steig, a University of Washington professor of Earth and space sciences. "If anything, it's the reverse, but it's more complex than that. Antarctica isn't warming at the same rate everywhere."
PFF
System Bot
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Updated 8h 30m ago

WASHINGTON — The Earth's lone holdout to climate change, Antarctica, is actually warming, says a new study in today's edition of the journal Nature.

Scientists had long thought that while some isolated parts of Antarctica had been warming, much of the continent had been cooling over the past 50 years. But the new analysis found that since 1957, when measured as a whole, the continent's temperature has risen about 1 degree Fahrenheit .

"The thing you hear all the time is that Antarctica is cooling — and that's not the case," says study lead author Eric Steig, a University of Washington professor of Earth and space sciences. "If anything, it's the reverse, but it's more complex than that. Antarctica isn't warming at the same rate everywhere."

It doesn't say the whole continent is warming. Its average temp is warming and there are places its cooling. Its just that since there is a volcanic ridge on the warming part it is warming at a greater rate and bringing the average temp up. Great swaths on the land mass are still colder or the same as before.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Updated 8h 30m ago

The study includes Michael Mann. If you see his name, you should be very wary. He's the guy who came up with the (in)famous "hockey stick" graph that was based on his interpretation of temperature proxy data based on bristlecone pine tree rings. It has been completely discredited because analysis showed that his algorithm for interpreting the data was flawed. Basically, you could input random numbers and you'd get a hockey stick shaped output.

Anyway, you might want to consider this criticism of the technique used to come to this conclusion. Evidently, there were problems with the equipment that gathered the ground-based data, and there were large gaps in the data which they had to fill in with extrapolations which call the quality of data into question:

Technique questioned

Researchers in this study developed a new technique that combined data from satellites and automated weather stations in Antarctica to make what they say is the best estimate of the continent's temperature so far. However, there are very few weather stations on Antarctica, and the satellite data have been available for only the past 25 years.

This troubles some scientists.

"One must be very cautious with such results because they have no real way to be validated," says atmospheric scientist John Christy of the University of Alabama-Huntsville, who was not part of the study. "In other words, we will never know what the temperature was over the very large missing areas that this technique attempts to fill in so that it can be tested back through time."

=====================================

The study is fairly new, but here are comments from Climate Audit, a site with a lot of good science-based discussion. Many of the comments are from scientists, and there are links to further comments.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27083 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Here is a comment to the article (originated from AP) from climate scientist Roger Pielke:

An AP article was released today which reports on a Nature paper on a finding of warming over much of Antarctica. I was asked by Seth Borenstein to comment on the paper (which he sent to me). I have been critical of his reporting in the past, but except for the title of the article (which as I understand is created by others), he presented a balanced summary of the study.

My reply to Seth is given below.

I have read the paper and have the following comments/questions

1. The use of the passive infrared brightness temperatures from the AVHRR
(a polar orbiting satellite) means that only time samples of the
surface temperature are obtained. The surface observations, in
contrast, provide maximum and minimum temperatures which are used to
construct the surface mean temperature trend. The correlation between
the two data sets, therefore, requires assumptions on the temporal
variation of the brightness temperature at locations removed from the
surface in-situ observations. What uncertainty (quantitatively)
resulted from their interpolation procedure?

2. Since the authors use data from 42 occupied stations and 65 AWSs sites,
they should provide photographs of the locations (e.g. as provided in
http://gallery.surfacestati...in.php?g2_itemId=20) in order to
ascertain how well they are sited. This photographs presumably exist.
Do any of the surface observing sites produce a possible bias because
they are poorly sited at locations with significant local human
microclimate modifications?

3. How do the authors reconcile the conclusions in their paper with the
cooler than average long term sea surface temperature anomalies off of
the coast of Antarctica? [see
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/P...ight.1.15.2009.gif].
These cool anomalies have been there for at least several years. This
cool region is also undoubtedly related to the above average Antarctic
sea ice areal coverage that has been monitored over recent years; see
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.ed...ent.anom.south.jpg].

4. In Figure 2 of their paper, much of their analyzed warming took place
prior to 1980. For East Antarctica, the trend is essentially flat since
1980. The use of a linear fit for the entire period of the record
produces a larger trend than has been seen in more recent years.

In terms of the significance of their paper, it overstates what they have obtained from their analysis. In the abstract they write, for example,

“West Antarctic warming exceeds 0.1C per decade over the past 50 years”.

However, even a cursory view of Figure 2 shows that since the late 1990s, the region has been cooling in their analysis in this region. The paper would be more balanced if they presented this result, even if they cannot explain why.

Please let me know if you would like more feedback. Thank you reaching out to include a broader perspective on these papers in your articles.

Regards

Roger

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27083 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Here is the original article from AP, with a comment from Pielke's quoted in it:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynami...OME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
high is 67 here today.... we have been having unusually warm weather but drive 2hrs and you get just the opposite.. its kinda nice though had the sunroof out yesterday in the fiero, windows down... garage tomorrow because high is 29 with snow.

[This message has been edited by AJ7 (edited 01-22-2009).]

Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJ7:

high is 67 here today.... we have been having unusually warm weather but drive 2hrs and you get just the opposite.. its kinda nice though had the sunroof out yesterday in the fiero, windows down... garage tomorrow because high is 29 with snow.

Its snowing to the south but not here.

[This message has been edited by Phranc (edited 01-22-2009).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thought.

The volcano in Antarctica is causing local warming. Fair enough, but what set it off?

I'd say it is the increased truck traffic in the Northern Hemosphere which transmits increase vibration through the earth's crust and therefore a volcano that is basically in an unstable state is triggered by the trucks.

If Al Gore can put forward a theory which makes as much sense, so can I.

We need to urgently work to build trucks that are vibration free and slow them down to under 50 mph to ensure a minimal amount of vibration hits the earth's crust. In the event of a Global Recession we should see a reduction in volcano activity due to less vibration caused by the trucks. In this way the Global Recession is good for the environment.

How's that for a theory?

Arn
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

How's that for a theory?

Arn

Fine. But I'll believe you have something serious to consider when you have a movie out about it.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Like Al Gore's movie?

Boooom! Outta the park.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Because it can... More heat means more energy for storms. The jet stream can dip further south. Stronger nor'easters, etc.
PFF
System Bot
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Because it can... More heat means more energy for storms. The jet stream can dip further south. Stronger nor'easters, etc.

So was it more heat in the 70s that blanketed the east in snow? Now remember it was colder then. And there was more snow.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
As I recall the trend is called climate change, and is to be marked by more dramatic ups and downs and storms.

Not that I believe anything Al Gore is saying, but I do think that is what is happening - by no cause of humans might I add.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
You don't need alot of heat for storms.

I know a lot of guys on the forum have never experienced a Canadian blizzard. Winds can hit 100mph driving snow with them. You can get caught in a blizzard and freeze to death really quickly. You haven't lived until you've watched sleet coming in sideways or when your car has been moved by snow slamming into the side.

If you watched the Day After Tomorrow, it showed blizzard action while touting it to be caused by "global warming". Nice fiction but, the depiction of a violent winter storm was pretty good.

Arn
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.co...&ch=4226724&src=news

Here is a video link of one of the Antarctic ice shelf's collapsing. It must be too cold. Or maybe a volcano is erupting under it. Yeah that's it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
While some like sarcasm, I don't unless it is funny. As we have said climate change may be occuring, it doesn't mean we can do anything about it or caused it.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Here is a video link of one of the Antarctic ice shelf's collapsing. It must be too cold. Or maybe a volcano is erupting under it. Yeah that's it.

so, you want we put the glaciers back over N.America? I do beleive Connecticut was under over a mile of ice. where did it go?
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

That happens rather often. It happened 10 years ago when it was colder and 20 years ago when it was even colder and even 50 years ago.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
So what exactly is our ' target ' temperature? When will we know we've achieved that target? When it was -20 drgrees below zero last week ( the coldest it's been in 13 years, by the way ), what should the temperature have been? -15? What is our goal? How far are we from that goal? When was the last time we were at that goal? When will the truth come out?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:
So what exactly is our ' target ' temperature? When will we know we've achieved that target? When it was -20 drgrees below zero last week ( the coldest it's been in 13 years, by the way ), what should the temperature have been? -15? What is our goal? How far are we from that goal? When was the last time we were at that goal? When will the truth come out?

now that is a most excellent question.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock