Started on: 11-02-2008 08:22 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: MstangsBware on 11-08-2008 01:16 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Killed this nice 8 point with 17 inch spread yesterday evening on opening day. Was killed in far East Texas.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
if u make good jerky, im sooo willing to buy some
NEPTUNE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Good kill!
Congratulations.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 11-02-2008).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
NICE!!
What did that one weigh?

I have a lot of younger bucks and does, but nothing that size/maturity that I have seen yet. There is so many acorns on the ground right now (hurricane Ike) that they are ignoring my new grass for now, and staying in the thickets. Damn hogs are everywhere tho. I need to get a wildlife camera, as the deer are only moving at night--I have yet to see one in the daylight.

Now that the season has opened, I expect more deer to move out of the national forest and on to my property. The NF is currently heavily popuilated with hunters from outside this area--mostly from Houston. Sounds like Iwo Jima out there.
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Now that the season has opened, I expect more deer to move out of the national forest and on to my property. The NF is currently heavily popuilated with hunters from outside this area--mostly from Houston. Sounds like Iwo Jima out there.

That's the one thing I don't miss about living in the country. Opening morning it sounded like a battle zone. That and all the drunk city guys driving 60 mph down gravel roads.

[This message has been edited by sostock (edited 11-02-2008).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

NICE!!
What did that one weigh?

I have a lot of younger bucks and does, but nothing that size/maturity that I have seen yet. There is so many acorns on the ground right now (hurricane Ike) that they are ignoring my new grass for now, and staying in the thickets. Damn hogs are everywhere tho. I need to get a wildlife camera, as the deer are only moving at night--I have yet to see one in the daylight.

I didn't weigh it but I can tell you that it is the heaviest deer that I have ever killed. I had to drag it 1/4 mile and it felt like 20 miles. There are deer like this one on your place but they are smart and stay well hidden till the RUT then they get stupid. Put out a game camera and you will be amazed at the size of deer you have running around your place. The acorns are everywhere due to IKE and the weather that we had this year. Which means they will run out early and be looking for other food sources. We have hogs here but they move around alot so you only see them here and there. Hope they stay away from my place as they cause nothig but trouble.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I'll be setting up our hog trap this week, but with the increased corn costs, I won't try to feed them any longer than it takes to get them cleaned out a bit and off to the processer for sausage.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Nice trophy but I go for meat not wall trophies.
The smaller deer are even better tasting.
Nice rack though.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Nice trophy but I go for meat not wall trophies.
The smaller deer are even better tasting.
Nice rack though.

Steve

Well we have only 2 weeks to kill does here so that is what I was going for but when this guy come walking by, I couldn't pass him up. I used to hunt by quanity and not quality but as I have gotten over I swapped it around. I have killed my fair share on little ones and plenty for meat. Hope to come across a yearling soon to get some good meat.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
What county are you hunting in?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

What county are you hunting in?

Panola/Harrision
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Dam I thought you guys would be like TN. When I was down there, 90 to 95 they were allowed a half dozen deer. I think, if I remember right. 2 for each season and ether sex.

I thought of going down there and visiting some friends during hunting season but thought I might get some funny looks driving back up with that many deer on my Burban.

Makes me want to head down there now, but the deer were smaller than up here.

Nice buck you got there no matter what.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Most deer here are smaller than their northern counterparts--which is why my first ? was "How much did it weigh?" That is a big deer for this region, tho not unusually huge.

I personally don't hunt nowadays, so I haven't kept up with the regs regarding how many of what gender each hunter can take.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Dam I thought you guys would be like TN. When I was down there, 90 to 95 they were allowed a half dozen deer. I think, if I remember right. 2 for each season and ether sex.

I thought of going down there and visiting some friends during hunting season but thought I might get some funny looks driving back up with that many deer on my Burban.

Makes me want to head down there now, but the deer were smaller than up here.

Nice buck you got there no matter what.

Steve

The limit has changed over thre years for the county that I am hunting in. But down South Texas the limit is 5 or 6 and can bad 3 of each I think. Here we can get 2 bucks/does but the does only in the first 2 weeks and the bucks have to be over 13 inches or a spike.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Most deer here are smaller than their northern counterparts--which is why my first ? was "How much did it weigh?" That is a big deer for this region, tho not unusually huge.

I personally don't hunt nowadays, so I haven't kept up with the regs regarding how many of what gender each hunter can take.

Yeah this is the largest deer I have ever killed and big for this area. I wish I would have had a scale to weigh him on but didn't. He was aged at 3.5 years old and had a very grey coat.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
wow... nice buck...

What did you use to harvest him with? (don't be smart and say 'a gun')

Range? Were you in a blind?

Does the warden know you shot him from the cab of your truck?
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

if u make good jerky, im sooo willing to buy some

I'm sure someone on here would be willing to donate some to ya

I'm about to go through a few weeks of jerky makin. Selling venison is illegal .

Brad
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004
My cousin got one the other day.

John was behind a tree out of the stand doing #2 when he spotted this buck, took aim, dropped him, and didn't even stop what he was doing. How do I know? Because he is 11 and has to tell everybody his business!!!

8 point buck for the counters on here.

Brad
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Nice buck you guys, I didn't see anything where I was.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

wow... nice buck...

What did you use to harvest him with? (don't be smart and say 'a gun')

Range? Were you in a blind?

Does the warden know you shot him from the cab of your truck?

Took him with a Winchester 30-06 at about 75 yards with 170 grains on lead entering thru the heart and taking him down. I was hunting about 30 feet up a pine tree in a Tree Lounge Trophy climbing stand. He was tagged legally, cut up and the head went to the taxadermy shop and will be back in March. This is my biggesst deer ever and can't wait to get him back from the taxadermy so hang him on the wall.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by twofatguys:

My cousin got one the other day.

John was behind a tree out of the stand doing #2 when he spotted this buck, took aim, dropped him, and didn't even stop what he was doing. How do I know? Because he is 11 and has to tell everybody his business!!!

8 point buck for the counters on here.

Brad

Good looking deer....My oldest one will start next season so we will see how that goes. Last time I took him he was bored in about 30 minutes and back at the house in 45 minutes.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock