My worst nightmare by 268 GT
Started on: 10-08-2007 01:00 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: calamityjane on 11-25-2008 03:41 AM
268 GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Saturday evening around 6:30pm our 900 sq ft detatched garage went up in flames. Nobody was injured but I lost many items including both bikes and my beloved 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo. I still feel sick as I type this 36 hours later.

The shop.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

My motorcycles, the R1 on the right, R6 on the left.

My twin Hayabusa powered project car.

'71 Lamborghini Jarama, 1 0f 177.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
My toolboxes and other destruction.

R6 brake rotors.

Racecar transmission, notice straightcut gears. There is a '71 Lotus Europa underneath.
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Tragic news. I am glad that you weren't in too.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
1946 Harley Davidson Knucklehead.

What's left of my 3 sets of track wheels.

Carbon fiber cloth is made of carbon = non flamable. The resin is however so I'm left with the fabric.

The boxes burned...

My vintage Bridgeport mill.

My beloved 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo. This car was my BABY! Words cannot describe...
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post

268 GT

139 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Blitz wheels and Wilwoods.....$$$$$

The Z in all it's glory. I still can't believe it's gone.

Video of the fire, how to make a 25 year old cry like a baby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQqaINrjA4

Rob
whereatt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattDirect Link to This Post
Wow I am so sorry. Do they know how the fire started?
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Man that sucks, have any idea how it started? Insurance gonna at least take care of the financial burden?
whereatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattDirect Link to This Post
Wow I am so sorry. Do they know how the fire started?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Very sorry to hear it.
In 98, my home went up in flames. I lost everything. Except the fire damaged stuff, no matter how insignificant, that I kept anyway.
Heh...I am a guy. I would say I know how you feel but I do not. My shop was spared.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
WOW.

Sorry man, glad no one was hurt.

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss...glad no-one was hurt...hope ya had it well insured, and if so...keep us updated on teh forthcoming spending-spree (just trying to interject a laugh) feel bad for you.

If ther was no coverage, maybe we could pull together as a community and get him started with another fiero???
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Holy crap! Words just can't describe. I just thank God no one was hurt.
Please tell me everything was insured.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
So sorry about your loss. Seeing the Lambo and the Z like that makes ME want to cry. Good luck with the insurance company!
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Wow! I'm real sorry to hear about your loss. Be glad this was a detached building. Any idea how the fire started? I hope you were insured and are covered for this. Good luck man. I wish you the best.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

Sorry for your loss...glad no-one was hurt...hope ya had it well insured...

I agree. As long as you had it well insured, you'll be well on your way to replacing those things in no time. Things can and will be replaced.

The important thing is, it's great to see that no one was hurt.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you had insurance and dont take their first (lowball) offer.

At least no one was hurt.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
All of those things can be replaced. We lost our home to a fire back in 97, it was a total loss. The only thing we got out of the house was each other. We were sleeping when the alarm went off, when I relized what was going on our roof was over 50% on fire. We wouldnt have lasted another 5 minutes from what the fireman told us. It hurts now but in a few years you will relize how bad it could have been.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate it.

Everything was insured...there were some oversights in the policy however. Long story short we will be getting $29,500 to cover the structure and up to $221,250 to cover the personal contents excluding vehicles. All vehicles had at a minimum comprehensive except for the Lotus (oversight) and the vintage Formula Ford, both cars are total losses and may as well have been set on...well, fire.

I still have my '88GT, it was parked outside under a tree but the drivetrain suffered some damage. My 3400 engine swap went up in the blaze though so now I need to decide what to put in it. Even my dual Busa project car is destroyed,

It's gonna be a tough battle to get the appropriate value for my Z.....so much time and $$$$ and most importantly love, went into that Z. Losing that hurts the most.

Rob

------------------
Power is nothing without control.

Twin Engine Fiero Project

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Man...
That just sucks. In the biggest way.

At least it didn't get the house, and nobody was injured, or worse.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss man.

Glad no one was hurt, and you had insurance. Dam.

Do you know what started it? Or did i miss that part?

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
O jebus!!

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
When all that hard work went up in flames you don't have nothing to worry about being upset. When something like thats going on you don't think about those things. My wife knew there was a serious problem when she saw me in the ditch out by the road on the phone wearing nothing by my undershorts. I couldn't even watch 30 seconds of your video and had to turn it off. I feel bad for you knowing what your going through. Be happy you have a place to live and know that you can start over.

Everyone else check those smoke detectors!!

If you need anything just ask.
Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Direct Link to This Post
It's all material things that can be replaced someday. Just be glad no one was hurt.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I hope I never experience what you did, Rob. I know it's hard to accept the loss of all of the cars and equipment that were in the shop. But the important thing is that you, and your family, were unhurt. The material things can be replaced....human life cannot. I know that is of little comfort right now, but eventually, it will be. I've sent you a PM about your Z....
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
I feel bad for you knowing what your going through. Be happy you have a place to live and know that you can start over.

As do I.
Earlier, I posted that I was somewhat glad i did not lose my shop (if you could call it that). I did lose my home and everything in a home. Pictures (history), heirlooms, my prized possessions that were not shop related, my favorite clothes (including collectible caps, belt buckles, T shirts, and more), and other desired items including some nice antiques. Most of all, I lost that sanctuary that is known as home.
I picked my chin up and moved on. Yeah, it hurt. I salvaged anything possible whether it was worth it or not. Today, I am as happy as ever. I have new stuff even if it is old. I started out wearing Red Cross clothes, with charity furniture. There is a bright future ahead of you.
LITEDAZE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post
wow man that hurts! sorry to hear, but i'm glad you're ok....
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
My condolences for your loss. I know how it feels. My wife and I lost everything to a fire in 1996, including my Porsche 928 and the half-completed airplane under construction in my shop. We were adequately insured, but ten years later I'm still replacing specialty tools that were lost in the fire.

It takes time, but it will get better.
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
oh my! i am so sorry. glad you're alright, but still, it sucks to lose a loved one (the Z)

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
99 CSVT 5-speed.

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
WOW, man I am sorry to hear about this. That's really a horrible loss. That's all I can say ... except I hope it goes well with the insurance company.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

All of those things can be replaced. We lost our home to a fire back in 97, it was a total loss. The only thing we got out of the house was each other. We were sleeping when the alarm went off, when I relized what was going on our roof was over 50% on fire. We wouldnt have lasted another 5 minutes from what the fireman told us. It hurts now but in a few years you will relize how bad it could have been.

Thanks for sharing that...
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
I just watched the video, that is horrible! I was almost brought to tears myself just hearing you! Having said that however, being 25 and able to afford all those toys I'm sure most people here would STILL trade places with you in a heartbeat.
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i'm glad no one got hurt,
but man... i bet you're hurting.
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Thats hard to even look at. I'm so sorry to hear about you losses!
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I remember when a guy backed into my 68 Barracuda and caved in the drivers side door. He thought I was going to kill him. All I could do was decide, "It's just a car". As heartbreaking as it is, at least all your "stuff" can be replaced. Sometimes, a devastation like that can be like a "cleansing", now you're ready for more and better.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad to hear you had coverage for most of it. Hopefully pics of the 300 will help get an appropriate value for it.
Is everyone doing ok? That's been a major trauma for a family to go through. I started watching the video, but it was too painful.

Please keep us posted on how things are going. You should start a rebuild thread for the new garage.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the support guys. The insurance company is playing hardball, they don't want to cover the car parts that were in the garage (0ver $20K) and they are lowballing me on my bikes and the Z. Time to get an attourney...
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it's time for a good ol' fashioned "barn raising"....
Got room for campers and tents in your yard for a weekend?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
How's that going?

Yeah this is late...

http://www.swarthmore.edu/~apreset1/docs/if.html

Cars are just metal. Things don't have souls.

Don't defne yourself in terms of what you have. You never know when you won't.
seabee1678

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2008 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seabee1678Click Here to visit seabee1678's HomePageSend a Private Message to seabee1678Direct Link to This Post
nice fire would have not been a daily driver stuck in the 5:00 traffic for 2 hours . go back to making modle cars would be cheaper .you could burn them with out the fire department being involed .
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
That's a horrible thing to go through. I'm so sorry. I'm glad nobody was injured physically. Sending hugs and sympathy your way.

Jane

------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

[This message has been edited by calamityjane (edited 11-25-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock