Started on: 05-30-2008 09:00 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: blackrams on 06-02-2008 10:27 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Found it crawling on my screen. It is still alive and quite fiesty. Pinchers hurt like heck too. I tried to pick it up from above, and those pinchers swivel all the way back behind it's head. It is now on my neighbors screen--awaiting their nasty little kitten to come strolling along. Scanned it on my flatbed scanner--the lighter is to show scale. t actually has 2 sets of wings--one behind the other. They are folded in these pictures. When it flies, it sounds like a tiny helicopter. FHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Top side.

Bottom side

another
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to call it a death moth.
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Ask FieroRumor..probably one of those bugs that have been crawling under his skin, and escaped
Nick
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
That is a Dobsonfly.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Sorry..forgot to tell you the REAL name..it is an adult Dobson fly, Don...and those pincers, as you say, can draw blood!!
Nick
Wooops!! too late now they are popular for fishing with

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 05-30-2008).]

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
larval chupacabra
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Did you get any "Foul smelling anal spray" on you?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Though both male and female dobsonflies have sharp mandibles, those of an adult male dobsonfly are actually so big - up to 1 inch (25 mm) - that they are unable to harm humans, as have such poor leverage that theyre incapable of breaking the skin.

I call on that part.

They are used exclusively during mating, where males show them off and grasp the females during copulation. Female dobsonflies, however, retain the short, powerful pincers they had as larvae, so they can inflict painful bites, which can draw blood. Nonwithstanding the males' inability to inflict harm, when threatened, both sexes will raise their heads and spread their jaws menacingly. They are not poisonous, but possess an irritating, foul-smelling anal spray as a last-ditch defense.

Blackrams!! You see that undelined part? You sent this foul smelling, ugly critter with the Indy didn't you??

Ya know, I've only seen one of these things before, but they are cutting timber back by my lake, right down to the water's edge, so perhaps their activity has forced it to move from it's watery habitat and up to the front where I found it perched on the screen door.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-30-2008).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Blackrams!! You see that undelined part? You sent this foul smelling, ugly critter with the Indy didn't you??

Wondered how long it would take you to find "Spike". He used to be a Hillary lapel stickpin. Wait, you only found one? Hmm, wait till they breed and that Underlined Part gets busy. You'll really be impressed. No, you don't need to thank me. Anytime.

Ron
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Ya know, I've only seen one of these things before, but they are cutting timber back by my lake, right down to the water's edge, so perhaps their activity has forced it to move from it's watery habitat and up to the front where I found it perched on the screen door.

Careful! An environmentalist group might catch wind of your destruction to their habitat.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

Careful! An environmentalist group might catch wind of your destruction to their habitat.

Not real happy about it myself--it looks like an atom bomb went off back there.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Not real happy about it myself--it looks like an atom bomb went off back there.

sort of like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
you were expecting something different from a logging operation?

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 05-30-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Nope, just hadn't been up close to one lately. It will look better in a few days when they push the limbs and tops into piles on this 12 acre portion--then they move to the other side of my little lake and start again. They've hauled about 1000 tons of logs and pulpwood out in the last 4 days.
Just hope the weather holds so they can get it all out before it starts raining. Still got 22 acres to go.
Tunguska looks better than my property does right now.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-30-2008).]

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, what do you do with all the stumps?

I mean if you are going to sew seed and put down nitrogen how are you going to get a tractor in there?
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Never saw them alive, I wonder if it's REALLY true that the adults don't eat...
DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
If you had 7 days to live, and before your new found look and wings, you spent a few years eating and swimming.. what would you do? I know I wouldnt be looking for food.. LOL

[This message has been edited by DjDraggin (edited 05-31-2008).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
ah yes the dobson fly ..focusing on the family in its short life
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Don,
Pull a "Fear Factor" and eat it!!

Eat it !
Eat it !
Eat it !

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

Just curious, what do you do with all the stumps?

I mean if you are going to sew seed and put down nitrogen how are you going to get a tractor in there?

Stumps will be ground down with a stumpgrinder--it goes behind one of my tractors and runs off the pto. Most of the stumps I will leave. In this wet climate, the pine stumps will rot away fairly fast. The hardwood stumps will not rot fast--thus the grinder. I will not sow seed. The natural grass will come on really fast now that the pine trees are gone, and no needf or nitrogen for this area. But, considering I still have to clean, pile, and burn, I expect it will be 2 yrs before I see a really good pasture.

The main reason I had the timber cut was that the land was just useless to me as it was. In most places, the underbrush was so thick it was impossible to even walk thru the place, covered with brambles and vines. I will leave a 50 yd untouched buffer at the river, the full width of my tract--about 400 yds--for wildlife habitat, and that is what the forest service recommended. It's beneficial in keeping the river ecosystem intact, and prevents erosion during high water periods. I do not hunt, but the 2 family members that have the properties on both sides of me do, so that 50 yd thicket will allow deer to traverse the property in concealment from one property to the other. Deer have always bedded down in the thicket by the river, and I don't want to change that.
I have the river as an East property boundry and the San Jacinto National Forest as a western property boundry, so I am morally obliged to do this as properly as possible, to have as little impact as is neccessary. With the trees gone from around my little lake, I also hope to attract more ducks in the winter. I have been asked by the forest service to put houses up in the remaining trees for a certain species woodpeckers, which are becoming endangered in this area, and I fully intend to follow thru with this. The local FFA builds and provides the houses per wildlife dept specs free to property owners. A good thing is, when I get ready to burn, the forest service will come out with their equipment and monitor the burning. They will bring bulldozers and firefighting equipment to keep the fires under control. I'm doing this with their full cooperation, blessing and help. Your tax dollars at work. I am not a cut, slash, burn type property owner.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-31-2008).]

fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
That is one wicked-looking bug. It looks like something Peter Jackson would think up, not a real insect.

------------------
I have no more fieros. Eventually all the things you love will go away.

PFF
System Bot
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Stumps will be ground down with a stumpgrinder--it goes behind one of my tractors and runs off the pto. Most of the stumps I will leave. In this wet climate, the pine stumps will rot away fairly fast. The hardwood stumps will not rot fast--thus the grinder. I will not sow seed. The natural grass will come on really fast now that the pine trees are gone, and no needf or nitrogen for this area. But, considering I still have to clean, pile, and burn, I expect it will be 2 yrs before I see a really good pasture.

The main reason I had the timber cut was that the land was just useless to me as it was. In most places, the underbrush was so thick it was impossible to even walk thru the place, covered with brambles and vines. I will leave a 50 yd untouched buffer at the river, the full width of my tract--about 400 yds--for wildlife habitat, and that is what the forest service recommended. It's beneficial in keeping the river ecosystem intact, and prevents erosion during high water periods. I do not hunt, but the 2 family members that have the properties on both sides of me do, so that 50 yd thicket will allow deer to traverse the property in concealment from one property to the other. Deer have always bedded down in the thicket by the river, and I don't want to change that.
I have the river as an East property boundry and the San Jacinto National Forest as a western property boundry, so I am morally obliged to do this as properly as possible, to have as little impact as is neccessary. With the trees gone from around my little lake, I also hope to attract more ducks in the winter. I have been asked by the forest service to put houses up in the remaining trees for a certain species woodpeckers, which are becoming endangered in this area, and I fully intend to follow thru with this. The local FFA builds and provides the houses per wildlife dept specs free to property owners. A good thing is, when I get ready to burn, the forest service will come out with their equipment and monitor the burning. They will bring bulldozers and firefighting equipment to keep the fires under control. I'm doing this with their full cooperation, blessing and help. Your tax dollars at work. I am not a cut, slash, burn type property owner.

I expected nothing less.

I was just curious because I have never seen large section of land cleared like that. I've been watching "Axemen" and noticed they left stumps 3-4ft tall all over the place. When I have cut wood we would go back and shave off the stump as close to the ground as possible so nobody would run through on a 4 wheeler and kill themselves.

Now for the razzing!

What kind of worthless woodpeckers ya got down there? Too lazy to peck their own home? Have to have somebody build them a house? Are their peckers broke? Welfare for woodpeckers...our stain has polluted everything..
Syme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SymeSend a Private Message to SymeDirect Link to This Post
Mmm... Large insects. A bit of a phobia, of mine. Not sure what made me click. Kinda glad the pictures aren't showing right now though.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Maryjane, your pictures went away, so I couldn't see the beast.
But from your description it MUST be one of these:

@ Erik: Bwahahahah!

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 06-02-2008).]

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
did something happen to "is this where i put user name"? he's the one that host the pics correct? MJ said something about a fire? is he ok?

Edit: nevermind.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071133.html

[This message has been edited by sostock (edited 06-01-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
On a closer look today, I saw 2 more of the males, and a bunch of the small pincered females, in my yard, as well as a LOT of dried single wings--which I assume are from the ones who have already mated and died. All this time, and I have very rarely seen even one, and suddenly see a bunch of them.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

On a closer look today, I saw 2 more of the males, and a bunch of the small pincered females, in my yard, as well as a LOT of dried single wings--which I assume are from the ones who have already mated and died. All this time, and I have very rarely seen even one, and suddenly see a bunch of them.

Would that be an apology for that false accusation made toward me?

Ron
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Well Ron, I guess so--but they did start showing up here after the Indy arrived. And you DID say this--didn't ya?

Wondered how long it would take you to find "Spike". He used to be a Hillary lapel stickpin. Wait, you only found one? Hmm, wait till they breed and that Underlined Part gets busy. You'll really be impressed. No, you don't need to thank me. Anytime.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Well Ron, I guess so--but they did start showing up here after the Indy arrived. And you DID say this--didn't ya?

[QUOTE]Wondered how long it would take you to find "Spike". He used to be a Hillary lapel stickpin. Wait, you only found one? Hmm, wait till they breed and that Underlined Part gets busy. You'll really be impressed. No, you don't need to thank me. Anytime.
[/QUOTE]

You took that as an admission of guilt?
Someone has hacked my account! On account of, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-02-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock