Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Anyone teach an idiot how to make a hard boiled egg?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone teach an idiot how to make a hard boiled egg? by RWDPLZ
Started on: 10-06-2007 03:58 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 10-08-2007 06:42 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Well it sounded simple enough: I looked at the recipes online, and they all seemed to say the same thing. So I got out the pan I used to use for macaroni and cheese, filled it with cold water, put in six eggs, and added water until it was 1 inch above the eggs (using a tape measure to make sure). Put it on the stove, waited until the water was at a roaring boil, and moved the pot to a cold burner. then I put the top on the pot, drained all the hot water, and put the eggs in a bowl of ice water. I removed them from the cold water after a few minutes, still warm, and put them in the fridge overnight.

Today at noonish, I opened one up, and the white part was really rubbery, and the yellow part was spongy on the outside, and liquidy inside. How/where did I screw up?

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 10-06-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LITEDAZE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post
maybe u didn't boil em long enough?
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
The only way I know how to boil an egg is by watching my wife do it. She puts a few in with some macaroni and when they're done, so are the eggs...
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

F-I-E-R-O

8410 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by LITEDAZE:

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
boil em for about 15-20 min
Lounge Daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lounge DaddySend a Private Message to Lounge DaddyDirect Link to This Post
I boil mine for 10 min and turn off heat and let them sit for another 10 and then run them under cold water.
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LITEDAZE:

Ya know... I read this and for some strange reason I see a clip of 2001 A Space Odyssey... The part where the bone goes flying through the air.
AntiKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AntiKevClick Here to visit AntiKev's HomePageSend a Private Message to AntiKevDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, I make them every weekend, but we had a holiday on Wednesday and for some reason when I made them I just couldn't get them finished. Normally I put them in water, turn the thing on high, and forget about them for 20 to 30 minutes and then they're done. I don't understand what the problem you're having is but I assume you undercooked them. The Germans here LOVE their soft-boiled eggs. I don't understand it.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I usually get the water boiling first, then add the eggs and boil for an additional 10 minutes or so.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I came home to the house where I was renting the basement. I walked in, and the upstairs STUNK and smoke everywhere.

The landlady put eggs on to boil, and then left the house on an errand. The water boiled out, and the eggs exploded all over the kitchen...

The eggs were done
Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Direct Link to This Post
Bring the water to a full rolling boil. Put eggs in. Boil them for exactly 8 minutes. Turn off burner. Remove eggs. Let them cool for a few minutes, or stick them in cold warer for a minute or so. Peel off the shell. There ya go.
PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jaygee79:
Bring the water to a full rolling boil. Put eggs in. Boil them for exactly 8 minutes. Turn off burner. Remove eggs. Let them cool for a few minutes, or stick them in cold warer for a minute or so. Peel off the shell. There ya go.

Womendome may be upset that you let out one of their most treasured secrets.... to a man.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Never made more then one or two at a time... maybe you made too many, and didn't boil 'em long enough...I like "soft boilled" eggs ocassionally. They are disgusting, but I enjoy them. *shruggs*

I've gotten a LOT of eggs with double yolks lately...
kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Easiest way that I have learned, is get a pot, fill it about 1 inch of COLD water above the eggs. Then put it on the stove on high and when the water is boiling its time to take them out if you like the soft yolk and 2 -3 min's more for hard yolk. Always works for me and I think that eggs are eggs whether you are in Canada or the US (just to be proactive for the Canadian jokes)
Also a hint, have a ice cold water bath ready and drop the eggs into when you are done. This releases the shell and makes it easier to peel. Some people just run cold water int he pot but never works as well.

Oh and hijack here but anyone have a good recipe for pickled eggs, I buy them here abd would love to make them but they never turn out withthe 2 recipes that I have.

KIN
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I came home to the house where I was renting the basement. I walked in, and the upstairs STUNK and smoke everywhere.

The landlady put eggs on to boil, and then left the house on an errand. The water boiled out, and the eggs exploded all over the kitchen...

The eggs were done

I know what that smells like. Don't ask me how I know.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
There is an egg timer you can get. You put it in the pot with the eggs and it will tell you when the egg is done and you can go from soft, medium to hard boiled.

http://www.organize.com/eggsact.html

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Anyone ever try to boil an egg in Denver?
Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

Womendome may be upset that you let out one of their most treasured secrets.... to a man.

Eh, I'm a non-conformist
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I can’t believe people are giving intense directions on how to hard boil eggs.

It’s not rocket science. But then he is just a student by his profile.

You will learn my young Patawan.

3 min boiling is a soft boiled egg. 6 to 8 minutes are hard boiled. (directions from Melanie).

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-07-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Anyone ever try to boil an egg in Denver?

Yes. Takes 15-18 minutes.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
i really didn't take this thread seriously because of the old jokes but anyway...

put eggs in pan of water on high untill water starts to boil.... when boiling keep an eye on the eggs... when thier done the shell will start to crack from the expansion. once one of them start to crack they are all done. This works for how every many you want to make at one time.

now can anybody type out exact instructions to make a PB&J? lol... long story.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
http://www.seriouseats.com/...ats-special-rep.html
peanut butter (2 tablespoons) and jelly (1 tablespoon) jars were perfect when spread on two slices of the Pepperidge Farm white bread.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2007 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Yeah..easy!! Just ask me to make soft-boiled eggs..I can guarantee something will distract my attention, and they will be hard boiled when I take them out!!
Nick
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

3 min boiling is a soft boiled egg. 6 to 8 minutes are hard boiled. (directions from Melanie).

At sea level.

In Denver, it takes 4-5 minutes for a soft boiled egg and 15-18 minutes for a hard boiled egg.
never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post
Microwave for one minute.............. Spend next 30 minutes cleaning the microwave.
JUST KIDDING. I've heard they will explode.
Anyone who trys this.....let us know.
never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post

never2old

1854 posts
Member since Dec 2005
Sorry Jake.....Read your "click here" after I had posted
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by never2old:

Microwave for one minute.............. Spend next 30 minutes cleaning the microwave.
JUST KIDDING. I've heard they will explode.
Anyone who trys this.....let us know.

Never try that.

When I was a kid, me and a couple of friends of mine did that to a friends microwave and the egg did explode and make a mess. That isn't the worse part. It stunk to high hell and that smell never went away. I think they ended up tossing that microwave because of that.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

lol - good stuff

the real problem with instructions on boiling eggs: the amount of time it takes your stove to reach the boiling temp. this is why "good" directions will have you add the eggs to the water when it is boiling. this way the water temp is reached & maintained, and all variables are fixed.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jaygee79:

That's is really close right there. It's not really a science, but there is a technique. The thing is, if eggs are older, they're often going to be easier to peel. If not done correctly, fresh eggs will be completely aggravating to peel. The time you let them cook of course determines how done they are. I tend to like mine a little bit undercooked. My g/f on the other hand likes them done. We use only fresh organic eggs in our house, and they are impossible to peel if you don't do them right. Here's how to make the perfect boiled egg:
Bring the water to a boil. Lower the eggs in the water, use a spoon to ease them in. Keep the heat on high until the water starts to boil again. The reduce the heat so the water just simmers. Let them cook for about 10 minutes. A little less if you like them a little soft. Turn off the heat and let them sit for another 7-10 minutes. Then pour out the water and run cold water from the tap over the eggs, fill up the pan with cold water a couple of times. Even dump in some ice to cool them off a bit quicker. guaranteed, they'll be perfectly done, and peel super easy.
I've even converted my g/f to this method. Her mom always told her to bring the water to a boil with the eggs already in there, and we threw away a lot of organic eggs using her method. She now uses mine. Smart girl.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:
The thing is, if eggs are older, they're often going to be easier to peel. If not done correctly, fresh eggs will be completely aggravating to peel.

warming the egg before peeling helps ALOT with tougher batches. run it under a warm/hot faucet.
PFF
System Bot
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Ya but you asked your wife. LOL.
HIOSILVER!
(someone who never hardboiled an egg in his life.)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I only like mine over easy or scrambled so no help here..........
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
[oops

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 10-08-2007).]

F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

[oops

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Oh no!!!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

That's is really close right there. It's not really a science, but there is a technique. The thing is, if eggs are older, they're often going to be easier to peel. If not done correctly, fresh eggs will be completely aggravating to peel. The time you let them cook of course determines how done they are. I tend to like mine a little bit undercooked. My g/f on the other hand likes them done. We use only fresh organic eggs in our house, and they are impossible to peel if you don't do them right. Here's how to make the perfect boiled egg:
Bring the water to a boil. Lower the eggs in the water, use a spoon to ease them in. Keep the heat on high until the water starts to boil again. The reduce the heat so the water just simmers. Let them cook for about 10 minutes. A little less if you like them a little soft. Turn off the heat and let them sit for another 7-10 minutes. Then pour out the water and run cold water from the tap over the eggs, fill up the pan with cold water a couple of times. Even dump in some ice to cool them off a bit quicker. guaranteed, they'll be perfectly done, and peel super easy.
I've even converted my g/f to this method. Her mom always told her to bring the water to a boil with the eggs already in there, and we threw away a lot of organic eggs using her method. She now uses mine. Smart girl.

And you buy those FRESH ORGANIC EGGS where ?

Just wondering, because most people don’t know what a real fresh egg yoke even looks like. What color are your eggs yokes Taijiguy?
Ever try to crack the shell on a really fresh egg?

Edited to add a question mark I forgot.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-08-2007).]

aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
Oooooh!!!! Oooooooh! OOoooooh! Can I answer? Or is this another Maine/Farmer trivia thing that only you know?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by HIOSILVER!:

Ya but you asked your wife. LOL.
HIOSILVER!
(someone who never hardboiled an egg in his life.)

No I can honestly say I have never hard boiled or otherwise boiled an egg in my life. I like scrambled.

I am not allowed in the kitchen since the spaghetti sauce incident in 84.

I made it from scratch and it was excellent, you could turn a plate full sideways and it didn’t run.

Problem was I didn’t have a splatter screen, and ran to the store around the corner.

I was out of beer.

I think there is still spaghetti sauce in places on the ceiling of that apartment.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock