Jeep Hood Modification by FieroOilAnalyst
Started on: 04-22-2007 09:23 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: FieroOilAnalyst on 04-25-2007 05:58 PM
FieroOilAnalyst

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
So my saga with my "free" Jeep continues. If any of you have read my previous posts regarding my Cherokee, you'll know that I've put quite a bit of time and money into this and it certainly hasn't stopped. Today I went on about replacing the wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Driver's side went just fine. No problems. Passengers side...different story. I realized the actual wheel bearing seal is bad. More time...more money.

But...it will get done.

Now, the point to this post...some time ago the OEM hood release cable broke at the release handle. For the past few months, I've been using two sets of pliers to pull the cable and release the hood. No more. With $8 and change and a little bit of time:

Might not be a big deal to some...but I'm pretty darn proud of 'em! LOL!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Hey, reminds me of muscle cars in the 60's. Nice job!
FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
I should take some pics of under the hood. I reused the original springs that raised the hood when the release cable was pulled. I relocated them to surround the new pins. We drilled a small hole for the end of the spring to thread into...so as soon as you pull the cotter pins, the hood comes up and the safety latch catches.

Not bad and I saved a ton over buying a new cable from the dealer.

It's the beater anyway. I'm thinking of trying the Rust Oleum paint on it later in the summer. That should drive the home owner's association a bit batty!!
JenzGT2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JenzGT2Send a Private Message to JenzGT2Direct Link to This Post
Cool!

We have been gather parts the last 3 months for our Cherokee, should start putting them on in the next 2 weeks. Have you done any offroading lately?

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JenzGT2:

Cool!

We have been gather parts the last 3 months for our Cherokee, should start putting them on in the next 2 weeks. Have you done any offroading lately?

Offroading for this Cherokee is completely out of the question. It is only a 2WD. Yep, that's right...2 wheel drive only.

I was told by my mom that if I could get it out of my grandfather's barn...then I could have it. Well, a starter, fresh gas, air in the tires, I started it up and drove away.

I'm about $2500 into it now making it safe and road worthy. It had been sitting for about 4.5 years or so...and currently has 187k miles on it.

I recently pulled an oil sample on the engine...perfect results. Couldn't ask for better sample results.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
it's white. this is good. refrigerator white is a perfect match.
FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
more pics- http://mattsjeep.blogspot.com/

[This message has been edited by FieroOilAnalyst (edited 04-23-2007).]

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
people here have been doing that for years.
Thats a passing fad from the early 80's
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
187k huh? shes still got plenty of life....my old jeep had 253k when i got it and its still being drivin.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

Yep, it's been around for a while but it's an excellent solution to his problem.

My only concern is what those pins are doing aerodynamically to his airflow. That mod might cost him some top end speed.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

Thanks for the heads up. I thought for sure that I had this original idea and the parts store just happened to have what I was thinking of.

Oh...remember...it's a 1991 2WD Cherokee with 187k miles. It's not worth a heck of a lot of money. Did I do it to make a fashion statement or to trick people into thinking it's something that it isn't? Uh...no. I did it to hold the freaking hood down and allow me to raise it without spending the money on a new cable. I guess that wasn't clear to you in my first post:

Originally posted by FieroOilAnalyst: some time ago the OEM hood release cable broke at the release handle. For the past few months, I've been using two sets of pliers to pull the cable and release the hood. No more. With $8 and change and a little bit of time:

Also...did you not notice the "LOL" at the end of my first post? I refer to this as my "redneck hood mod". Hope that makes you feel a little better about the situation. But again, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to NOT do this to my Volvo like I was considering.
PFF
System Bot
FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

FieroOilAnalyst

719 posts
Member since Feb 2004

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

187k huh? shes still got plenty of life....

Yeah, I agree. It runs incredibly well. I'll post the oil sample results here in a bit. Extremely clean!

Just need to stay on top of the stuff that keeps breaking...mostly due to it sitting for so long and now getting used.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroOilAnalyst:
Not bad and I saved a ton over buying a new cable from the dealer.

Aw, c'mon.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
, eh, I suppose you will have to spend it on something else for your Jeep.
MsLoriFiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2007 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MsLoriFieroSend a Private Message to MsLoriFieroDirect Link to This Post
My Jeep !!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2007 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I love the look of hood pins, thinking about putting some on my Fiero. No really, not the kind you have but a more flush type. Havent really started looking yet. My hood project needs something to keep it from cutting my head off if I hit something and I think some nice pins will do the job, now I just have to find the right ones.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2007 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Heh!! I love mine too!! 4 litre high output..auto..1993..leather interior...134.000 miles....$650 a bargain

too nice to do what I had planned with it..carting steelwork around Just got to sort out a couple of wierd noises from the back end..I sorted the diff problem with the friction modifier liquid, but it still makes some clunking noises taking off after braking..but only after about 15 miles.I took off the brake drums, and found a spring and a metal plate with an elongated hole in it lying in there..now I am wondering if it is a hold-down spring for the shoes, and whether that is the source of the noise. It does sound like a brake shoe binding a bit.
Ooops!! sorry got carried away..didn't mean to hijack
Those pins look nice..just not my cuppa tea!! Used some in the 70's on a Mustang..and regretted it ever after
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 04-25-2007).]

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2007 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MsLoriFiero:

My Jeep !!

oh c'mon now...you GOTTA love this!!

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2007 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroOilAnalyst:
oh c'mon now...you GOTTA love this!!

Personally, I'm amazed you let the aerodynamic remark go by without responding to it. You know I was just joking.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2007 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Personally, I'm amazed you let the aerodynamic remark go by without responding to it. You know I was just joking.

Yeah, I knew you were joking. Anyone that uses the term aerodynamics and top end speed when talking about a Cherokee is DEFINITELY joking! LOL

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock