Started on: 02-05-2007 01:55 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Bruno Mid Engine on 02-06-2007 01:05 PM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
A guy who retired from where I work wants to give me a fifty year old arc welder. I want to learn to weld, but can I use it when I work on my cars? He's giving it to me, but I don't want to get something I'm not going to have any use for.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Relax! You've managed to suck all of the fun out of the room.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
arc is more useful for heavy equipment, good for thick metals like frames, or tractors, etc. a much more useful welder is wire feed, this is good for alot more automotive stuff than arc. if your going to be building anything with thicker metals, than it is useful, otherwise for a general hobbyist, i cant see very many uses for it.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street.
... ... !
350ci 400hp/tq SBC, 4 bolt main
Spec Stage 3, Nitrous Oxide, many extras.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Free is free. Just make sure it isn't 3 phase (unless you have access to 3 phase), most residential is not, and it would cost a wad to get the service...Paul
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
A fifty year old arc welder is probably just AC and I bet it is going to be a jumpy as a hobo in a train yard.
Probably not what you want to learn on as far as arc welding is concerned. A nice ac/dc arc is great even for small work if you are skilled.
Free is free but useless for your application is just wasted space,time and effort. Definitely in my opinion not a good welder to learn on.

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 02-05-2007).]

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
eBay it! With what you get from the arc, put that toward a wire feed.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Ooo, didn't think about that.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Relax! You've managed to suck all of the fun out of the room.

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

A fifty year old arc welder is probably just AC and I bet it is going to be a jumpy as a hobo in a train yard.
Probably not what you want to learn on as far as arc welding is concerned.

On the contrare if you learn to use an arc welder the rest are a piece of cake.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Need to know more about it. There are old generators that will put out a nice smooth dc current, you just need to purchase a nice Tig setup for it and you could weld anything. Need to fix a fender? Butt joint and a coat hanger
You could weld about 60% of the Fiero frame with it using a nice 3/32 6010/7018 rod.
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post

I would keep it, just for the ability of being able to weld the thicker metals. If you want a mig that has the capability of welding the metals that has you will be paying thousands.

Things you could find a use for it, would be: Mount fabrication, comes to mind. You should be able to weld up any heavy duty mount that your little hear desires with that.

If you want to build like a car trailer, that will do the trick. Again a 1000 dollar mig is what you need otherwise.

Trust me if you have it you'll find uses for it.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2007 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the US, but arc welding and brazing are illegal in the UK. The heat effect of arc welding breaks down the steel you are welding, significantly weakening it. Arc also causes far more heat distortion than mig or tig.If you mig weld a line of weld on a sheet of new, clean steel, and then arc a weld alongside, you will see the discoloration caused in arc welding is much wider. These views are passed on to you from the gentleman who taught me to weld years ago. I believe it to be true, but others might disagree
Nick
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Butter:

I thought about that as I typed it but still. No reason to learn on a pos. There are nice little ac dc units for 250 bucks that will purr like bacon.
On dc with some small 6011 rod you can weld upside down under a car. Not as good as mig but cheaper and you actually learn to weld instead being a hot glue gun operater.

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

I don't know about the US, but arc welding and brazing are illegal in the UK. The heat effect of arc welding breaks down the steel you are welding, significantly weakening it. Arc also causes far more heat distortion than mig or tig.If you mig weld a line of weld on a sheet of new, clean steel, and then arc a weld alongside, you will see the discoloration caused in arc welding is much wider. These views are passed on to you from the gentleman who taught me to weld years ago. I believe it to be true, but others might disagree
Nick

Really, now I learned something new today so I can go to bed.

No seriously Nick how do they weld ships?

That’s all we use here in the states for ship building unless you are inside.

Originally posted by fieroluv:
I would keep it, just for the ability of being able to weld the thicker metals. If you want a mig that has the capability of welding the metals that has you will be paying thousands.

Things you could find a use for it, would be: Mount fabrication, comes to mind. You should be able to weld up any heavy duty mount that your little hear desires with that.

If you want to build like a car trailer, that will do the trick. Again a 1000 dollar mig is what you need otherwise.

Trust me if you have it you'll find uses for it.

Completely agree, I hate using my mig outside, means setting it up for flux core wire, unless there is no real wind. Plus flux core wire is like twice as expensive.

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Need to know more about it. There are old generators that will put out a nice smooth dc current, you just need to purchase a nice Tig setup for it and you could weld anything. Need to fix a fender? Butt joint and a coat hanger
You could weld about 60% of the Fiero frame with it using a nice 3/32 6010/7018 rod.

Another completely agree, with a little bit of practice you can get real good on the thin stuff with an arc welder.

Originally posted by Butter:

So very true.

Originally posted by Paul Prince:
Free is free. Just make sure it isn't 3 phase (unless you have access to 3 phase), most residential is not, and it would cost a wad to get the service...Paul

So true, but not.

3 phase can be made, not cheap but still you don’t have to have 3 phase service to use a 3 phase machine. You just need to build a converter, I don’t know exactly how it’s done but I do know it involves motors.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-05-2007).]

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
3 phase can be made, not cheap but still you don’t have to have 3 phase service to use a 3 phase machine. You just need to build a converter, I don’t know exactly how it’s done but I do know it involves motors.

http://www.rotaryphaseconverters.com/

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This site should help you. Registration is free.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_show.pl

Arn
Bruno Mid Engine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bruno Mid EngineSend a Private Message to Bruno Mid EngineDirect Link to This Post
I got my Dad's small Lincoln AC, 30-40 years old, managed to make a heavy duty extension cord and plug it into the dryer outlet, can weld thinner material, around 1/8", sometimes less, by cutting the amps and using a small dia rod. Don't use it often but no substitutes around when there is a use for it, beats 60 bucks an hour at a shop.

------------------
The Fiero, a testiment to unique AMERICAN Engineering

[This message has been edited by Bruno Mid Engine (edited 02-06-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock