Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Wow, I've heard about blacklisting, but this is rediculous...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Wow, I've heard about blacklisting, but this is rediculous... by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 02-04-2007 07:31 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: twofatguys on 02-07-2007 01:24 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
As you may know, I manually scan all new registrations for PFF making sure no spam sign-ups get through or people are trying to register multiple usernames. Then I usually wait for about half a day before activating a registration. The forum software sends a confirmation email (with password info) to the email address provided and if there's a problem with the email address (which causes the software to be unable to deliver the email), I receive a "Delivery Failed" email from either the recipients mail server or my own mail server. I then delete the registration - all to make sure the registration database is as clean as possible (and not bloated with fake signups).

The most common reasons the confirmation email is returned are "No such user", "Host not found" and "Mailbox full". A few times per year I receive a "Sender's host blocked", which means the other side is an over-active mailserver which blocks every host from which it has received a spam email. Considering spammers use random username/hosts as the sender, these mailserver block almost everybody.

But a few minutes ago, I received a "Delivery Failed" email stating a reason I've not seen before:

Your IP address is from a blacklisted country.

Wow. Yeah, that's a very effective way of blocking spam: blacklist any country where spam could possibly originate from. I'm sure the clients of this provider get no spam at all. Then again, I don't think they get any email at all.

PS: fencepost, if you are reading this, this is the reason you haven't received your password through email yet. And I can't send you the password myself since, well, I live in the same country my webserver resides in...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-04-2007 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Thats funny.. ( in a sad sort of way )
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe I've EVER received a spam e-mail from the Netherlands

And I get A LOT of spam.

That's just messed up.
DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
Just another case of Homeland Security running rampant? Cliff, I've never considered your country to be a member of the 'axis of evil' , but maybe someone may see it as a 'nexus of nihilism'. Maybe the US needs to be protected from european philosophers.

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke, unlike owner

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-04-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DtheC:

Just another case of Homeland Security running rampant? Cliff, I've never considered your country to be a member of the 'axis of evil' , but maybe someone may see it as a 'nexus of nihilism'. Maybe the US needs to be protected from european philosophers.

No, it wouldnt be the HSD, it would just be a rather short sighted company/ISP.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Blacklsit the Netherlands?

Darn right! Long over due too! You and your wooden shoes and and reclaimed marsh lands have been asking for it for years!
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey wait a minute, not sure if this is the exact same thing but my Outlook at work allows me to block or blacklist countrys from sending me email. IIRC, I right clicked on the spam and there was an option to do this. I selected all countrys then unselected Canada and the United States to let email through. Cut my spam down by at least 80%. Is this what you're seeing?

Clif, we appreciate the amount of work that you do for us, thank you so much for keeping the forum clean.
Euterpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EuterpeDirect Link to This Post
what country is "fencepost" registering from? singapore?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
...But a few minutes ago, I received a "Delivery Failed" email stating a reason I've not seen before:

Your IP address is from a blacklisted country.

About time they caught up with all you daggum troublemakers.
Just kidding, Cliff.
If there is one country that hasn't generated any spam that I've noticed, it would be NL.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
We just installed ironport spam and e-mail scanner. It blocks by IP because host names can be faked. Our old system would block hosts but a lot of spam would get past the filters.
Cliff if you want to see if your blocked send me a pm and I will give you my work e-mail address.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 02-04-2007).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I think the person asking for an account is the one that blocked the country... or his ISP did it. It's not the country the person is from doing it if I'm reading it correctly. Probably someone set some spam setting on way to high of a setting and it autobanned NL.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it's an ISP that has blocked all email from the Netherlands. In all honestly, NL is #4 when it comes to spam-originating countries. #1 is the USA, #2 China, #3 Russia and #4 is the Netherlands (IIRC). If you block all email from these countries, you are effectively blocking 35% of all internet users.

PS: Fencepost is from the US (Ohio).
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I keep running into a problem emailing a friend of mine in Alabama. She uses Hostned for her email, and it routinely blocks the Earthlink mail servers in Atlanta becasue "they are on a blacklisted DNS list." Considering how that's probably a central hub for Earthlink email, seems about as useful as blocking an entire country.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Yes, it's an ISP that has blocked all email from the Netherlands. In all honestly, NL is #4 when it comes to spam-originating countries. #1 is the USA, #2 China, #3 Russia and #4 is the Netherlands (IIRC). If you block all email from these countries, you are effectively blocking 35% of all internet users.

PS: Fencepost is from the US (Ohio).

We're #1! We're #1! Gooooo US!

Doh!
Damien

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamienSend a Private Message to DamienDirect Link to This Post
I hate to see us potentially lose a valued member because Cliff's country is full of spammers and the world has caught onto their games

If you want and are able to Cliff, you can send the email thru my mailserver. Just PM or email me and I'll put up an account for you on my fiero domain.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, here is an idea on how to help you eliminate spambots and other bots that want to register...

A hidden email field using CSS.

Basically, it has an email address field (A second one) hidden from a human on the page. When a spambot loads up, IT will see the field, and enter the information.

When the form gets submitted, the backend says "There is data in this field, and there should not be." and ignores the submission entirely..

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Thought I saw this the other day:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/...02/ap/d8n1mksg0.html

Man from the Netherlands fined $97,000 for sending out 9 billion spam emails.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Cliff, here is an idea on how to help you eliminate spambots and other bots that want to register...

I wrote my own filter some time ago, and so far it has only missed (allowed) one spam sign up out of about 4,000.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
So no one from the US can sign up anymore or just this guys ISP won't allow it?
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Thought I saw this the other day:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/...02/ap/d8n1mksg0.html

Man from the Netherlands fined $97,000 for sending out 9 billion spam emails.

9 Billion?

The entire population of the Earth is just around 6 Billion!

kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, if he is real or you suspect it is a real entry, PM me and I will forward it from my regular email.

Chances are Canada is allowed, well we did burn down the White House once...

Chris
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kinboyatuwo:
Chances are Canada is allowed, well we did burn down the White House once...

Chris

ROTFLMFAO

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock