Brand New Computer Acting Slow

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Brand New Computer Acting Slow by PontiacJ8
Started on: 01-26-2007 08:35 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: FieroRumor on 01-27-2007 01:04 AM
PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
I just bought a MSI Bare bone kit from Newegg.com along with all the other stuff to build a computer. I got it all together a few days ago, now when I'm in a browser whether it's on the internet or in a windows browser when i go to scroll or move the window around it seems extremely slow. This is the only thing that acts slow. Is it a problem with my RAM? I bought a 512 stick, but in 'System' it shows it as 448MBs. Before you ask, no I don't have Limewire or any P2P stuff like that.
Thanks,
Jimmy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
neyven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neyvenSend a Private Message to neyvenDirect Link to This Post
have you updated your video card drivers? ive had windows do that till i updated them since the generic widows drivers suck
PontiacJ8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by neyven:

have you updated your video card drivers? ive had windows do that till i updated them since the generic widows drivers suck

I never thought of that? Got any links to download the new drivers from?
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacJ8:

I never thought of that? Got any links to download the new drivers from?

You probably need to go to the video cards manufacturer site to grab their latest drivers, or is the video onboard like sound sometimes is?

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

Damien

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamienSend a Private Message to DamienDirect Link to This Post
If you installed alotta stuff right away you're gonna also wanna do a Disk Cleanup and Defrag of the hard drive. This will speed it up considerably after a fresh install since the Windows installation alone leaves your hard drive a mess.

Also, 512MB really isn't all that much nowadays especially when most AV programs and some firewalls eat a good chunk of that, not to mention the resource hog that Windows is.

On a side not, the system showing only 448MBs of RAM seems odd. There will always be a minor discrepancy when it comes to RAM and HDD space but that seems to be a touch much. I'd try to return the RAM if you can and just pay the difference for a 1GB stick.

Also, make sure you're Vid card drivers aren't set to Windows default. That can definitely mess with your scrolling speed.

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 01-26-2007).]

DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Damien:

If you installed alotta stuff right away you're gonna also wanna do a Disk Cleanup and Defrag of the hard drive. This will speed it up considerably after a fresh install since the Windows installation alone leaves your hard drive a mess.

Also, 512MB really isn't all that much nowadays especially when most AV programs and some firewalls eat a good chunk of that, not to mention the resource hog that Windows is.

On a side not, the system showing only 448MBs of RAM seems odd. There will always be a minor discrepancy when it comes to RAM and HDD space but that seems to be a touch much. I'd try to return the RAM if you can and just pay the difference for a 1GB stick.

I've been out of the game for a few years but I remember some onboard stuff would grab a chunk of ram and kinda hold it for it's own personal use, say 32 or 64 allocated to video, etc.

Disk cleanup and defrag are your friends, a full cache will slow things down considerably, go buy some more RAM, 512 is not enough anymore, the faster the computers and the cheaper memory gets the more Microsoft seems to eat! A bunch of dadgum spagetti code, I used to be very anti PC, I've learned to live with it now.
PontiacJ8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
Figured it out, just had to install a driver that came with the CD which came with the bare bone. Works great now. I'll take the advice on the RAM too.
Thanks Again!
Damien

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamienSend a Private Message to DamienDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRA:
I've been out of the game for a few years but I remember some onboard stuff would grab a chunk of ram and kinda hold it for it's own personal use, say 32 or 64 allocated to video, etc.

Disk cleanup and defrag are your friends, a full cache will slow things down considerably, go buy some more RAM, 512 is not enough anymore, the faster the computers and the cheaper memory gets the more Microsoft seems to eat! A bunch of dadgum spagetti code, I used to be very anti PC, I've learned to live with it now.

The RAM allocation is hard to say. I use alotta onboard stuff but never lose that kinda RAM which is why it seemed odd. Without actually testing the RAM I'd almost suspect a bad chip in there somewhere. If that is the case you will find out really soon when things start going wrong... been there done that so make sure you save that receipt since most all offer lifetime warranties now.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
nevermind... ;P

glad it's workin'

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 01-27-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock