Started on: 01-26-2007 06:49 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: FieroDiva on 01-26-2007 04:28 PM
Vonov

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Back when I first began flying on commercial flights back in the Seventies, courtesy of Uncle Sam, the street lighting was all mercury vapor. Coming in over a major city was always a breathtaking sight...the blue-white lights below looked like a million tiny diamonds spread out on a tapestry of black velvet. With the advent of sodium lighting, I was disappointed on a recent flight to find one of my favorite sights has turned to a topaz yellow, which I suppose is pretty in its own way, but I miss the older lighting. Maybe when the street lighting is changed to LED, the diamonds will return...

Anyone else got a sight or sound they miss?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Yeah! I get what your saying on flights, although I'm probably too young to remember mercury vapor lights.

What about the streams of car lights on the highways? Yellow and red.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Yeah! I get what your saying on flights, although I'm probably too young to remember mercury vapor lights.

What about the streams of car lights on the highways? Yellow and red.

you left out the blue

Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
I don't make a habit of flying places, so what cities look like from above is a bit of a low priority. But I'd sure like some whiter street lights. Orange lighting is just weird, and it makes it Very hard to identify the color of anything. I suppose I should be thankful for a city where nearly every street is lit at all...
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

You still see them used in large gas stations and gymnasiums...they're the brilliant blue-white lights that take a few minutes to warm up to full intensity, and are also used in HID headlights.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
a sight or sound i miss? it would have to be that familiar smell of a mechanics garage. the sounds too... the air hoses, smell of oil, grinders, ect. ect. wow... thank for that memory.
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
My Uncles Farm.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I miss most of the stores that were around during my youth.

*looks at the dull line of cell phone shops, calling card shops, cheezy hello-kitty "fad" stores", bars, resturants, and "mega stores that have everything"...*

Miss the local

Bike shop
Stationary store
Pet shop
Toy store
video game shop
video store
arcade
book store
radio shack

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I miss most of the stores that were around during my youth.

*looks at the dull line of cell phone shops, calling card shops, cheezy hello-kitty "fad" stores", bars, resturants, and "mega stores that have everything"...*

Miss the local

Bike shop
Stationary store
Pet shop
Toy store
video game shop
video store
arcade
book store
radio shack

We still have Radio Shack --- only it's in a mall.

For some nostalgic reason I miss the little "Photo Hut" things that used to be located in the middle of parking lots. I used to do doughnuts around them

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 01-26-2007).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
My pet peeve is just the opposite, I don't want no darn street lights. O.K. well I do live in the country, but our neighbor just put a little trailer house on the hill above us and added 3 yard lights, then my brother in law moved in a trailer next door and added 2 yard lights!

What happened to the lights like grandpa had that you turned on with a switch on the pole if you needed it. There are so many lights out here in the country that the stars are disappearing! I actually have to close the curtain on my bedroom window at night to sleep because of the neighbors " runway of lights " .

When we moved into our first house there was already a yard light up, I went to the electric company to have it removed. They took the 8 dollars a month off the bill, but never turned off the light itself, I honestly gave it a few months before I shot it out with a pellet gun. The house already had flood lights that lit up all the property if I needed it, and the darkness at night was awesome.

There are also the sudden streetlights on interstates, just put up in my belief because the local government had some extra taxes at the end of the year, your driving along seeing just fine with your headlights, and BAM your blinded by this Yellowish light from the sky!!

Rant off,
Brad

AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
I miss the smell, fun, thrill, feel and sound of my old 76 Malibu. That car rocked! Just too bad that idiot t-boned my dad in it. I'm gonna buy me another one someday, only a 2 door instead of the 4 door..
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Double post...sorry

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 01-26-2007).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by twofatguys:

My pet peeve is just the opposite, I don't want no darn street lights. O.K. well I do live in the country, but our neighbor just put a little trailer house on the hill above us and added 3 yard lights, then my brother in law moved in a trailer next door and added 2 yard lights!

What happened to the lights like grandpa had that you turned on with a switch on the pole if you needed it. There are so many lights out here in the country that the stars are disappearing! I actually have to close the curtain on my bedroom window at night to sleep because of the neighbors " runway of lights " .

When we moved into our first house there was already a yard light up, I went to the electric company to have it removed. They took the 8 dollars a month off the bill, but never turned off the light itself, I honestly gave it a few months before I shot it out with a pellet gun. The house already had flood lights that lit up all the property if I needed it, and the darkness at night was awesome.

There are also the sudden streetlights on interstates, just put up in my belief because the local government had some extra taxes at the end of the year, your driving along seeing just fine with your headlights, and BAM your blinded by this Yellowish light from the sky!!

Rant off,
Brad

I dig what you're saying...I'd actually like to see a law passed that reduces light pollution (no light visible from fixtures above the line of the horizon, with only exceptions being for runways, etc, where upward-directed light is necessary/desirable), but until the advent of widespread LED lighting (because LED's are so directional), it isn't likely to happen.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
What sight do I miss most? Hmmm..the BLACK figures in my Bank Book!!! Hahaha!!
Nick
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

What sight do I miss most? Hmmm..the BLACK figures in my Bank Book!!! Hahaha!!
Nick

They come in black? The bank gave me a RED pen with mine, arrrggg
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:
but until the advent of widespread LED lighting (because LED's are so directional), it isn't likely to happen.

These 5 watt LED's I have here have a 120 degree viewing angle.
FieroDiva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDivaSend a Private Message to FieroDivaDirect Link to This Post
I miss the sight/smell of my fiero.

------------------

FieroJodi@yahoo.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock