Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  New surveillance cameras at work (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
New surveillance cameras at work by Cheever3000
Started on: 01-23-2007 11:15 AM
Replies: 43
Last post by: 86GT3.4DOHC on 01-31-2007 12:20 PM
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
From my camera phone:

From a website I found:

Does anybody know anything about these cameras? They just installed them where I work. One of them is looking over my shoulder right now.

Did I mention how much I love my boss?

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 01-23-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Crap... I meant to post this in O/T.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
i've seen them before. I've installed smaller versions of those. it's a network cam so your boss can look at everything your doing whenever he/she wants. i know in new york there are laws against those. if the product you work with is expensive then they can get away with it for security purposes only! (again in ny, not sure about your laws) if they try to nail you to the wall for 5 minutes extra on your lunch break and try to fire you there is a privacy act law that'll allow you to sue the hell out of them. ibm got nailed a few times for those.

Edit: i want to install a few all around my Fiero... cool now it can stay here! lol.

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 01-23-2007).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
It looks like you could access it if you found out it's IP address....
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think they were allowed to video YOU, just the common areas, or places where money is being handled...?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

It looks like you could access it if you found out it's IP address....

yes, it is easily accessed & spoofed.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Crap... I meant to post this in O/T.

Moved.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
A friend has a few hidden around his house.

The ones he got came with an I.P. assigned by the company, then all you need is a password. I think it should be fairly easy for someone smarter than me to get into.

Brad
Gecko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
You just need to do like in the movies. Take a photo of you sitting there doing your work and put it in front of the camera so it always sees the same thing. Then ask for a raise since your always there hahaha.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
lol... leave it to gecko... can you get overtime too?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Those are designed to be used in server rooms, to monitor physical access to sensitive equipment remotely, usualy from remote sites. I suppose you could use them for anything, just not the best for general survalence.
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Those are designed to be used in server rooms...

Yep. I put my camera phone up to show what it's looking at (sorry I couldn't hold it more still). On the other side of that window is the server room, and there are 3 more of those cameras in there. Sometimes they send us emails when the temperature gets too warm in there (problems with new A/C units).

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Ugh wish our server room was that organized, we have 2 racks and 2 shelfs, a mix of everything from P1 to dual - dual core P4's 9 gigs to 1.6 terabytes, novel to windows to unix. Fortunately its all HP, at least we have one point of uniformity. I've only been here 6 months, and the guys before me well...
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Why not just set mouse traps?

------------------
Please Visit My Fiero Store Thanks!

[This message has been edited by F-I-E-R-O (edited 01-23-2007).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Those types of employer survellance are outlawed in many jurisdictions.

The bottom line is that production is negatively affected when used. The paranoia and poor employee relations which are generated are frankly not what a profitable business needs.

They are a very good incentive for good employees to seek alternate work. IMHO.

Arn
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Also it is illegal to put one showing a bathroom entrance way becasue by law you can not tell someoone how many times they can go to the bathroom. We had this issue at work. SC
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
huh, i knew i'd seen that room somewhere before.

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
DOH!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago, there was a manager of a Hooters out here that installed a camera in the girls' restroom and would watch them change, even when he interviewed new girls. Turns out one of the girls he watched was only 16. BIG No No. One of the things they charged him with was using a minor for sexual purposes (or something like that). He's now doing time (true !)

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-24-2007).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Yep. I put my camera phone up to show what it's looking at (sorry I couldn't hold it more still). On the other side of that window is the server room, and there are 3 more of those cameras in there. Sometimes they send us emails when the temperature gets too warm in there (problems with new A/C units).

holycrap! so your the guy who finds people exits, out of the matrix, when they need one fast....I always wonderd who neo was yelling at when he was talking on the phone and running from agents
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Im installing an additional 22 Netbotz 320's in remote server room locations. We have 3 exsisting Wallbotz 500's with external sensor/camera pods. The **** is slick. I love it.... They monitor video of course, but also a WIDE range of stuff, from temp, humidity to dew point. All to make sure the operational environment of a server room location is the right environment for them and nothing bad going on.

Cheever, you need more monitors... I have to watch 3 times that.

------------------

www.FieroLoki.com
Yahoo! = michael_from_tx | MSN = red85gt@hotmail.com | AOL = fieroloki1976

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 01-24-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Also, you find the IP, I can get you the default admin login.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:

Also, you find the IP, I can get you the default admin login.

I'm working on it. Gotta ask the right person, and he isn't here this week.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Cheever3000

12398 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Cheever, you need more monitors...

I have 7 more behind me.
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post

I have 7 more behind me.

Lemme go steal a quick pic of one of our walls.. brb

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post

Loki

8453 posts
Member since Mar 2000
6 more monitors off the right side.... Those that are off are in the process of getting new PC's hooked up.... 12 more on the oppisite wall.

Bigger version

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 01-24-2007).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

:lots & lots of monitors:

Monitor envy! Last time I saw something like that was when I interviewed at Reliant Energy, or Exxon/Mobile. Worked in rooms like that at GE in Cincinnati.

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Boss man is looking into replacing all those monitors with 24" widescreen versions, and a 42" for our Netbackup monitor.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
found your problem.... i see an IBM tag on the top of all of them!
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

found your problem.... i see an IBM tag on the top of all of them!

Looking at Dells next go round.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-28-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Ugh wish our server room was that organized, we have 2 racks and 2 shelfs, a mix of everything from P1 to dual - dual core P4's 9 gigs to 1.6 terabytes, novel to windows to unix. Fortunately its all HP, at least we have one point of uniformity. I've only been here 6 months, and the guys before me well...

2 racks? Wow.. i have more then that at my desk

We have about 2000 servers, ( windows servers.. im not counting the san, the tapes, the mainframe, unix boxes... )
PFF
System Bot
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Looks like we will get a 42" LCD for the backup monitor, and the rest will be 24" widescreens.. w00t!!!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I used to work for "Ignorant Business Management" and they have great laptops and mainframes... other then that... steer clear! Very bad management decisions in that place. "Anything that doesn't make sense is done first... if that doesn't work then we'll scrap the project!" I used to build the larger mainframes for them... so i know first hand they are built the best i've seen yet. heavy attention to detail for the mainframes and laptops. overall junk for everything else. we even had dell systems and monitors for out tools.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:
2 racks? Wow.. i have more then that at my desk

We have about 2000 servers, ( windows servers.. im not counting the san, the tapes, the mainframe, unix boxes... )

But I bet mine are more complex . We have a complete moron for head of IT, has a degree in Psycology (and I find that hard to believe) NO experience in IT, and I wouldnt trust him with a pocket calculator. He started here as a factory prodction worker, got into MIS because he worked on his home computer, and through a series of events and firings, made it to head of IT by default.

Yet he's completely convinced he knows everything in the world, and is not afraid to tell you that, and once he has an idea, thats it, will not listen to anything from anyone about it. Unless its someone above him, two of us tried to explain something to him one day, spent 15 minutes wouldnt even listen to us. I went to his boss, who knows even less about IT and found it perfectly logical. She calls him, word one is "yes maam" and thats about every other phrase throughout the conversation, yes maam, boom done. No need to listen to the experts in the field, the ones with expierence, but get a chance to kiss a$$ and thats it.

We have four DL380 servers here just for our ADP payroll system, with less than 1000 employees, im thinking its a little excessive. Why? becuase no one knew what the heck they were doing when they set it up. You have to cross your fingers anytime you shut down a server, because while you know whats supposed to be on it, god knows what else is there too. Looking for the email server? Dont bother with the one labeled FRX (Front End Exhange) Check the one labeled EDI, (which has nothing to do with email, some kind of data interface for honda) Not to mention we have 3 back end exhange and one front end, with less than 200 computer users... We have a mix from the latest HP to antique Pentium 1 systems, we have Novel, Unix, and Windows... Most of these powerhouse servers are running one application or just a database. Has no one here heard of multi-tasking?

Our WAN connection is a mess of Cisco and some other proprietary hardware I've never even heard of, so I cant get routing working properly with remote locations... Our remote locations are running completely diffrent hardware, both in the network and the servers... One remote location has AD set up properly and running good and secure, ours here is limping allong and the boss refuses to ever delete a user account, no matter how long they've been gone. I still dont understand why they have thier own domain... Building a new plant, which I will actualy be able to design properly from the ground up, and for some inconcievable reason the boss is trying to get a 5-10 Mbps connection there, when all we have is a 3. All traffic goes through us, so whats the point. Not to mention Ive demonstrated that we only use maybe 256k at most with our other locations, and we just need scalable for when we need to kick it up for big file transfers. But why listen to the WAN/Cisco expert, lets just see how much money we can spend. I think our current WAN costs are something like $40,000...

Bottom line, we have 50 servers when we need 3 or 4. I dont think one of those over there is doing anything more than idling all day long...

And DONT get me started on the POS proprietary software we are running here, millions of dollars for the BUGGIEST software I have ever seen in my ENTIRE life... guess who's idea it was to get this software...

*runs out of room screaming and flailing hands in the air*

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 01-29-2007).]

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Want to talk about buggy software? We are the test bed for a new medical software from Seimmens. Damndest piece of **** software. We have to update it like 4 times a WEEK from all the bugs that are found. Only bright side is we are not paying for it. Then we have some things that will ONLY work with Windows 98, I mean WTF!!!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Want to talk about buggy software? We are the test bed for a new medical software from Seimmens. Damndest piece of **** software. We have to update it like 4 times a WEEK from all the bugs that are found. Only bright side is we are not paying for it. Then we have some things that will ONLY work with Windows 98, I mean WTF!!!

I told you not to get me started

We paid a huge amount of money for this software, and we pay tens of thousands in support agreements, and its crap, plain and simple. Its horribly over built, requires a P4 to run, and its nothing more than purchasing and inventory tracking, and best of all, the new version, not compatable with Windows 2000. Of course they didnt know this, not until I tried to install it in the entire company did anyone find this out. Of course they're not going to fix this, no, why would you offer support for the #2 OS in the world when you can just force people to upgrade. Guess who gets to upgrade the OS on all those systems? The un-installer doesnt do anything... at all.. you have to go through the registry and manualy delete the hundreds of entries when it crashes. If you install a new system an accedently put in the wrong server name on the software, BAM! everything goes down. A typo on one insignifigant system takes the whole company down.

They even have "support" forums on the internet just so people can keep this stuff running. I often joke about it. The boss went to a support meeting once, and I said its probably like AA. He walks in there glumly with his head down "Hi, my name is Harry and I use Vantage" *everyone* "Hi Harry!" then they all sit around in a circle and discuss the software like an AA meeting. (Harry not really his name, gotta protect the ignorant, er um, innocent)

I finaly got to asking, the guy before me, stayed here about 8 months, the guy before him, about a year before his heart attack (no joke!!) and a year after. Anyone looking for a great IT person in Northern Columbus / Delaware?
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Any wild guess on what this is?

Edited to add: This is about 1/1000 of a project thats supposed to take a year to complete, cabling by Brad.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 01-29-2007).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Edited to add: This is about 1/1000 of a project thats supposed to take a year to complete, cabling by Brad.

Purty!

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...Does anybody know anything about these cameras? They just installed them where I work. One of them is looking over my shoulder right now.

Did I mention how much I love my boss?

Not to hijack your thread, but weren't they trying to put you on a rotating schedule? Anything ever come of that?
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

I'm working on it. Gotta ask the right person, and he isn't here this week.

Find it yourself! Neat lil program I've used for stuff like this:
http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/

On the camera manufacturer website, search for the default port. Angry can port scan while it searches for active IP's - that'll help you find them really quick.

[This message has been edited by IEatRice (edited 01-29-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock