Started on: 01-22-2007 07:42 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: pokeyfiero on 01-25-2007 08:57 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-08-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'm impressed.

Any special tricks on your water heater? I've heard people putting timers on them to turn them off while at work, etc. That way there's hot water when you need it, but it doesn't keep the water heated all day long when no one's home.

My gas bill was $172 last month. I'm working on some conservation measures of my own now.
proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
I used solar water heater, with cloudy day booster if i need it.
my electricity bill is normally $177 each 3 months
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post

proff

7393 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by proff:

I used solar water heater, with cloudy day booster if i need it.
my electricity bill is normally $177 each 3 months

I use tank water , meaning every time i turn a tap on the pump senses the drop in pressure then starts up.
I have a electric fire place and a Gas one aswell.
Electric Air cond.
DVD
Cathode Ray TV
Electric heated water bed.
All the room lights are Fluro's.
I have 2 Bore pumps for when the tank runs dry

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Cheapass:

Using rigorous conservation at my house I was able to get my last month's electric bill down to.... $11.64.

I had unplugged my trusty 40 year old fridge a while back because, though it kept food very cold, it was an energy hog. I converted to fluorescent all throughout the house and only use one light in any given room that I'm in at the time.

43 kWh, that's all I used last month.

The previous two bills were in the $12-13 range and due to a "Customer appreciate bonus" that the utility gave out in October of $25 this bill will be the first time I've actually had to send any money in.

Hehehehe....

Now I heat with natural gas, that bill was $43 for three of four weeks heating last month, but still, combined with the electric that's still under $60 for the month including hot water (I run my water heater at 140°).

Mr. Cheapass

Dam James you are tight! Are you gonna leave me some $$ in your will? Can't take it with you...
Why don't you get a car Like Ken & Heidi got

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Damn, that's one ugly car.

My sister and her husband did something like that when they were first married. After the third sub-$20 month in a row, the electric company sent someone out to inspect the meter, thinking they had tampered with it.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-08-2008).]

FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

... The other thing I did was to put my TV on a power strip so that I can cut off the power to it when I'm not watching it. Since I only watch it maybe 5-6 hours a week nowadays leaving it plugged in uses energy 98% of the time I'm not using it. ...

Does a TV really use any significant amount of electricity when it's plugged in but turned off?
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Most of our newer generation electrical appliances use energy when turned off but still plugged in. Anything that uses a remote is guaranteed to be using power. I'm sure there are many other appliances drawing power that I'm not aware of. Oh, just thought of one more, when we do laundry, the washer will show us that the load cycle is completed, it's still using power even though the machine is basically shut down. May not be that much but when you add up all the appliances in your house that have some automated feature on them, it adds up.

Nice job on reducing your power needs Jazz. I'm still trying to get my family to turn off lights when they leave a room.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i agree that's impressive. if i was a bachelor in a southern state i could probably get close. problem adds up when you have a family.

electric bill: heat pump, lights(some stay on all the time, nightlights, one in the basement) washer, dryer and dishwasher run once a day, tv's stereo's dvd players, clocks, 2 refers, deep freeze, fans, stove, microwave, etc.

gas bill: heat (when the heat pump kicks off) water heater (again with dish washer, clothes washer and showers) dryer is gas.

phone bill

dish bill

water bill

trash bill

internet bill

cell phone bill

doctor bills, credit cards, house payment, 2nd mortgage, car loan, student loans, INSURANCE, blah blah blah.

its amazing i have $12 in my wallet.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll find that most modern devices are sucking up watts when off, some not much... others quite a bit. Borrow a low current amp (a/c) around the power cords and find out. Most ones with timers and displays probably draw about 20-30 watts, others like those plasma/LCD TVs draw a heck of a lot more so they stay warmed up for when you hit the on button.

A modern electric hot water heater can stay hot for days without kicking back on... when we had no power for three days, my new 80 gallon water tank (yeah it's big) stayed hot the whole time even with me using the shower and hot water for washing and shaving etc. I just didn't use the big tub

I wish I had the money to drop into retrofitting my house for a geothermal heatpump. Massively more efficient than other heat or a/c options.

Congratulations on being the Energy Miser King
PFF
System Bot
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Very Impressive. I don't have that kinda will power for electricity.

I do however have that kind of will power for using gas. My gas bill is about 50 bucks a month or so in the winter. It's great. Gas dryer, furnace and water heater. But I keep my water heater temp at 0 degrees. Probably because it looks like this:

It's awesome. I love it.

And my t-stat is set to 60 at night, 70 from 6-8, 60 during the day, and 67 from 6-10. Sweatshirts are good.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over" ;)
88 base coupe: Busted again
Wait. . . Did I just say I can't wait to do more work on my Fiero?. . .what, am I retarded?

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Using rigorous conservation at my house I was able to get my last month's electric bill down to.... $11.64.

holy sheep dip! $11.64?!?!?
I am happy when mine comes DOWN to $70
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

Very Impressive. I don't have that kinda will power for electricity.

I do however have that kind of will power for using gas. My gas bill is about 50 bucks a month or so in the winter. It's great. Gas dryer, furnace and water heater. But I keep my water heater temp at 0 degrees. Probably because it looks like this:

It's awesome. I love it.

That's the same water heater I have. Have you been in my basement taking pictures?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 01-24-2007).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
On Demand water heaters are by far the best. Only hot water when you turn on the hot faucett. Ceiling fans will drasticly reduce your heat and cooling bill. My house gas bill dropped almost 50% when I installed. Been on now for past 15 years....never off. Just switch direction in spring and fall.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
I pay from 250-300 a month. It's crazy around here.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:
I wish I had the money to drop into retrofitting my house for a geothermal heatpump. Massively more efficient than other heat or a/c options.

The high school my kids went to is only a few years old and is heated and cooled with geothermal heat pumps. They have a back up system but to my knowledge, it has never been used, only tested and serviced for emergency use only. Forward thinking school board IMO.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Funny this should come up. We're looking into reducing our utility bills by 1/2. I was inspired by http://www.builditsolar.com...rences/Half/Half.htm

So far I've:

- Replaced almost all the lights in the house with florescents (those suckers are expensive)
- Reduced multiple-bulb fixtures to single bulb
- Put a timer on our bathroom exhaust fan. It now runs for 20 minutes to clear the humidity out after a shower (we have a real problem with mold without it) then shuts off automatically
- Just installed a programmable thermostat on the heater/AC. M-F Goes to up 68 degrees automatically @ 6:30am and goes to 58 @ 10:30 pm.

Next I'll be building a solar hot water heater using these plans (or something similar) which we'll use during the summer and we'll be upgrading to an on-demand hot water heater for the winter. We're also thinking about changing our lighting (just the overhead lighting for now) to DC bulbs powered by PV cells and batteries.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-25-2007).]

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:

I pay from 250-300 a month. It's crazy around here.

Wait untill June when it goes up another 43%
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I used LESS energy this month, and it's visible on the chart they send on the bill, but my bill was $20 MORE than last month. Connecticut has (I think) the second highest energy prices in the United States and it just went up again. I hate those f*&kers
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
Man electricity is killing me. 11 bucks a month would be a nice dream. 1300 last month but thats three home and a barn and a shop plus two 30 gpm deep wells. I'm gonna solarize this whole damn place and get off the grid.

Jazz you are the Frugal King of Power. I bet I could save money by hiring you just to police everyone here.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock