Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Linksys hates me ( wireless router problems)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Linksys hates me ( wireless router problems) by Fastback 86
Started on: 01-21-2007 01:06 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Fastback 86 on 01-29-2007 02:43 AM
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
This is driving me crazy. We just set up internet in my new apartment and its been nothing but trouble.

The details:

-AT&T Yahoo DSL service, 1.5mbps

-Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem

-Linksys WRT54G wireless broadband router

-Desktop running XP connected via Cat 5 to the router

-Laptop running XP connected wirelessly

-Macbook laptop running OS 10 connected wirelessly

The problem: the wireless

Here's what happens: every 10 minutes or so, the wireless quits. According to my Macbook, I'm still getting signal (though it drops by 1 bar (of 4)) and I'm still connected to my network. According to the router, the wireless is still on, and the router is still connected to the internet. However, the computer will not connect to the internet. It appears as though it just stops receiving. Obviously, it (the router) is still transmitting its broadcast ID and such, but its not 'hearing' my computer. The temporary solution: walk into the other room, unplug the Linksys for 10 seconds, plug it back in, and enjoy 10 more minutes of wireless internet.

We've updated the firmware on the router to the newest version. We have it set to use a WEP password to keep all the other people in our apartment building from pirating it. We have no problem connecting to it, just staying connected. Disconnecting from the network does nothing, we can't get back on if we do.

It really just seems to hate my Mac. We were both using it tonight and it started doing this. I got fed up and turned off my Macbook. After that, it worked fine for my roommate on his PC laptop. Then I turned my Macbook back on, and within 10 minutes it was doing it again.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I used to have this problem back home with the same model Linksys router, but it would happen maybe once every few months, and a simple reset took care of it. This 'every 10 minutes' business is getting ridiculous though.

Please help! Thank you in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88GTNeverfinished

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
Lots of different wrt54g's out there. Be more specific on the model. The newest ones are neutered, the older ones and the newer gl models are linux based firmware. They can be flashed with free open source firmware like DD-WRT and a $50 router becomes something you would otherwise pay several hundred dollars for.

Start your education here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
WRT54G ver.6 running firmware version 1.01.1

No Speedbooster.

We disabled the password protection and enabled MAC address filtering so only our computers can connect and it seems to be working better (read: hasn't done it since), but we'll see if its a long term fix.
dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
Are you using DSL?
-> Make sure the phone filters are in place for each phone.

Only occurring w/ wireless.
-> Check the wireless channel on the router from the Default to 1 or 11.

-> Also unplug any 2.4 ghz phones you. They will kill the wireless signal. The Older 900mhz & the newer 5.8ghz & 6.0ghz don't interfere with 2.4ghz wireless router.

-> Do a hard reset. HOLD IN THE RESET for 20 Sec. Should wipe out all the settings.

-> Maybe your router went bad. If so get a Buffalo Router ($49 Best Buy)
http://www.newegg.com/Produ...Item=N82E16833162173

and re-flash it with this (please read flash instructions for this model router)
http://www.dd-wrt.com
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
my suggestion is try a different wireless card in your mac. I have noticed quirky problems using certain wireless cards with certain computer/router combinations. I have had a wireless card that worked fine in one laptop, but when used in another laptop would connect, but not allow access to the internet. Tried a different card and all is well.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-21-2007 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Not that it helps you much, but ive not had any luck with the current crop of 'home routers'. They all tend to not hold up under the strain of actual use.

I couldnt afford to get a real cisco AP, so afer going thru several of those junk ones myself i just built my own with a cheap PC and a wireless PCI card. I haven't had a bit of trouble since. ( actually, the router/firewall software i was already using supported some cards, so i broke down and bought one that was compatible, but you get the idea )
Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
i have been using a dd-wrt for about 6 to 8 months now. All i can say is wow. This thing is rock solid. Very very stable, i have not had to reset it yet. I use to have to reboot it every week or so to get it back up to speed before getting dd-wrt.

I dont trust like any of the other routers that i have tried. I hate DLINK and the shitty BELKIN that my pops had. They may be 20 bucks cheaper, but when you have to buy three within 3 years something is wrong. here is a walkthrough for dd-wrt

http://lifehacker.com/photo...routerupgrade/748102

also for the wireless connection have you checked to see if you have "802.1x authentication for this network" ?
when my friend had that on it would stop every 5 to 10 minutes. if you go to your wireless connection properties then click on the network you are using and open the properties for that one.
a window called "networkname properties" should pop up and should have three tabs. click on authentication tab and then you will have your options. turn it off and it should help. It only works if you have encryption on.
im not sure how you do that in a apple but thats how its done in a pc.

good luck
slater

psst... steve jobs is watching you too.

[This message has been edited by Slater_334 (edited 01-21-2007).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Lots to reply to, here we go...

-Yes, using DSL. No filters needed as we have no other device plugged into the phoneline.

-Channel changed to 1 to get as far away from the default as possible, and so as not to be on 11 like everyone else who's called Linksys tech support.

-No phone in our apt, but who knows about other apartments.

-Done the reset and all that. Several times.

-Not using a wireless card, using the built-in Airport card. It works fine on any other network, its just this one thats giving me trouble, and its not just my computer. When the wireless goes down, it all goes down. My roommates XP laptop can't connect either.

-I've heard about DD-WRT and I've looked into it a bit, but from what I understand it doesn't work with my particular router, yet. As I understand it, it was written for an older model that had more RAM (or flash memory, I don't recall). I know they're writing a new version, but I don't know that its out yet.
88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

I've heard about DD-WRT and I've looked into it a bit, but from what I understand it doesn't work with my particular router, yet. As I understand it, it was written for an older model that had more RAM (or flash memory, I don't recall). I know they're writing a new version, but I don't know that its out yet.

Yes the newer linksys routers are neutered as I said with less memory and non linux firmware. The new gl version is actually a reissue of the older version with the memory capacity and linux based firmware. $50 at amazon with the rebate

You are not toatlly shut out from dd-wrt. There is a micro version that will fit in your hardware memory limitations. A few more steps to flash it but nothing not doable.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php

This will tell you all you need to do it:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/...6_Router_Information
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
wireless keyboards/mice are bluetooth-enabled too. I had a NetGear Broadband-over-powerline adapter setup I couldn't get going... I figured the ethernet card (a legacy item) wasn't recognized by the old Emachine I put in the daughters' room even though my computer 'saw' it, and hers 'saw' the network but wouldn't connect. Turns out the Zone Alarm firewall was blocking hers without alerting me, had to go in and 'allow' hers. Duh. I was used to pop-ups....
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The fact that it blows up only when the mac is running points to the mac being the problem.... Or at least part of it.

Check the drivers and hardware in the mac as noted above. The mac may be throwing crap at the router it can't handle. This can be because of compatibility issues and/or defective drivers/hardware. The fact disabling the pass key seems to have helped means that a compatibility problem is very likely.

Also... If you actually are using WEP... don't. It's trivial to crack into WEP.

Make sure everything uses WPA or WPA2 with a PreShared Key. Make it a long key with letters numbers etc. The longer and more convoluted the better. The default encryption is usually TKIP. Try AES if everything supports it. (It should all support AES.)

MAC filter alone is not secure. MAC address can be changed on many cards. Meaning someone can get in with little effort if all you run is a mac filter.

Try other channels. Allot of stuff overlaps with vairous channels.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for all the tips, guys. The router seems to be working better for now, but its still doing its little game, just less frequently. When I have a little more time, I'll look into implementing more of your suggestions. I'm not too terribly concerned about people hacking into our wireless, being that we're in the capital of the Silicon Valley and most people are hooked up anyway, and this whole building is full of students and people with the relative income of students. Yeah, I know, anyone could be hacking for any reason, but I don't think its worth anyones trouble to pirate our wireless.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
This may be similar, or different? This fellow at work uses the broadband connection on his Motorola Q as the modem for his apple notebook. It too will drop the mac after a few minutes, as if it forgot that it was there. He set up the mac to constantly ping an IP from a command line, and it stays on. It's a band aid fix, but it doesn't seem to affect his internet speeds better or worse, just keeps it online.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Any idea how I would go about doing that, should it come down to it?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock