Started on: 01-20-2007 07:41 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: bmwguru on 01-21-2007 02:06 PM
Mr. Pat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
So a mate of mine just gave me his 98 passat with 127k on it. Only thing wrong with it is the cat that seems to tie into the turbo seperated from the flange. Anyone know the simplest way to correct this? Downpipe? Can I take off the flange and bang it back in, or will it pop back out. Anyways, I was pretty stoked, and another mate of mine who couldnt finance a decent car, but makes plenty of money is going tot ake over the payments on my 07 Sonata. So for the first time since I was 19 I wont have car payments. And if he doesnt pay ill just go pick up my car(I kept a spare key) So apart from a manager bitching about me to my manager, today was a good day.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E. In the middle of cam/port, new interior, paint and waiting on new wheels. Itll blow you away!!
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
dude, that is awsome! he gave it to you for free? I wish i had friends that cool, I gave a friend a pretty cool fiero fastback car, before, but no one has given me a car before, lol. thats awsome.

turbocharged is always great too, i had a turbo eclipse gsx and a srt-4 also turbo, and I think I loved those cars the most. your gonna fall in love with the turbo!
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Ask your questions here www.passatworld.com

BTW you will want to make sure you find out what maintanance has been done to that car. It gets expensive when they break.
wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
My daughter's last 2 cars have been turbo. She had a 1989 Ford Probe 2.2 turbo. She always took pride in that her car was faster than my car. The car she has now is a 1998 Audi Quattro A4 turbo. It gets over 30 MPG. I finally got a turbo last spring, a DuraMax turbo diesel with 360 HP and 65 ft lb of torque. Problem is with this new ultra low sulfer diesel fuel I can't get it to smoke any more .

------------------
...Perfection....Where have you driven yours?

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wkayl:

My daughter's last 2 cars have been turbo. She had a 1989 Ford Probe 2.2 turbo. She always took pride in that her car was faster than my car. The car she has now is a 1998 Audi Quattro A4 turbo. It gets over 30 MPG. I finally got a turbo last spring, a DuraMax turbo diesel with 360 HP and 65 ft lb of torque. Problem is with this new ultra low sulfer diesel fuel I can't get it to smoke any more .

Always thought turbo diesels made more tq than hp

Ill deffiently hit up passatworld, might need a few goodies for it.....and yeah my friends kick ass. He's a former Honda tech, so any problem that may arrise I always know he can help me out(he was the best man at my wedding, so we're good mates)

And I really wouldnt put a passat in the same catagory as an SRT-4 or a dsm, but give me a month or so and I should have something thats respectable. Why not hey, the price was right
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
98 passat. The only problems you will encounter are: Updated timing belt (probably already done-they never made it past 60k), front control arms (got so bad they became a recall), oil sludging (must use 5w40 synthetic oil-also a recall), failed oil pumps (lack of synthetic oil), failed turbos (lack of synthetic oil), broken camshafts (lack of synthetic oil), various cooling system problems (must use OE red coolant), various electrical problems (not too big of a deal if you work on them everyday), and my favorite....removal of the front bumper to do any service to the front of the engine (belts, hoses, t-belt, radiator)...the labor book gives an extra 1.5 hours to do this and I can have the bumper off and the supports rolled to the service position in less than 9 minutes (my wife timed me).
Truthfully, not a bad car. But stay away from green coolant...it goes downhill from there. and if you don't fix it yourself...which you won't be able to do unless you have the tools to reprogram the basic settings and throttle stops, make sure the shop you take it to can. and if they don't know what VW basic settings and generating readiness monitors are...go elsewhere. I reset the basic settings for the engine and auto transmissions at every oil service.
Dave
ps: the auto transmission fluid should be yellow...if not Cottman got a hold of it and it will die shortly.
pps: one of my customers has a 1.8T jetta that runs 11.1 in the 1/4 mile with only $1000. in modifications

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-21-2007).]

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I got some reading to do huh!!

Thanks for all the info, ill save it to my hardrive....also what was done to run 11.1 with a grand?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

Looks like I got some reading to do huh!!

Thanks for all the info, ill save it to my hardrive....also what was done to run 11.1 with a grand?

engine control module reflash, bigger wastegate, downpipe, and exhaust. parts came to 1000.00 and it was easy enough for him to do it himself. it is a daily driver and gets great gas mileage.
One of my employees has a 1989 BMW 325is. It runs 11.6 on slicks. It looks like I need to do some tweaking to my Fiero to keep up.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-21-2007).]

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
The stock turbo pushes enough air to run those kinds of times? Thats amazing. Also, im brand new to turbo's. Any books you might recomend?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Bentley makes great repair manuals.

There are also turbo upgrades...3 different ones. Your Passat is the same as an Audi A4 just to let you know. They are sister cars...like the pontiac sunfire and cavalier.
If you find a good VW forum, let me know. I'm always trying to find more business.
Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock