Started on: 01-19-2007 10:55 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: firstfiero on 01-20-2007 05:56 AM
Butter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Just as it said I washed my cell phone and dried it too. Left it in my pocket.

I took out the battery and put it in a dry place. Any chance to recover anything from it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, not likely. It's happened twice in this household, one time it was mine, did the same thing you did. All I can say is it never worked right again, once the internal stuff gets wet and starts to corrode, you might as well chuck it. In my case, I lost every business and personal phone number I had, no back up. That was the last time I made such a dumb mistake. I back up my important phone numbers now.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Cell phones are made durable enough to last long enough that they would need a washing ?
Of course I kid. However, cell phones are alot like an egg in a eggshell. I know they can make them more durable than they do.
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have deal with liquid damaged cell phones all day, it is probably the biggest killer of cell phones. blackrams pretty much said it perfectly, if you are lucky enough that it works again, immediately back up your numbers because it will go down hill very fast at the internals corrode.

~ Derek
turbotoad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Derek_85GT:

I have deal with liquid damaged cell phones all day, it is probably the biggest killer of cell phones. blackrams pretty much said it perfectly, if you are lucky enough that it works again, immediately back up your numbers because it will go down hill very fast at the internals corrode.

~ Derek

Yep, my son went swimming with his phone in his pocket. It still "sort of" worked, so we took it into the repair center. It was unrepairable. So we bought a new phone and put insurance on it. A week later this phone fell into the toilet as my son pulled his pants up! Surprisingly this phone worked fine after it dried out.................for about 3 days, then it just went downhill and eventually died.
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have had pretty good luck "repairing" soaked phones by removing the battery, opening any obviously accessible case parts, flooding/rinsing/shaking the phone in rubbing alcohol, shaking dry, and then letting it dry in the sun for at least a full day. If you leave the water in the case, it will corrode the internals pretty quickly.
I have only done it a few times and they all worked fine afterwards. if the screen seal leaked and it looks like it got wet, it is probably unsavable.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I have dropped my moble phone on several occasions. Once I dropped it on top of a flight of concrete stairs and it when bouncing on basically each step all the way down. I thought it was toast when I picked it up.

But I turned it on and it worked. No cracks or anything.

The one thing I do notice when I drop my phone. It turns off. Is there a function in the circuit that detects that it has impacted a hard surface and turns off?
Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2007 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
That's probably the contacts for the battery momentarily disconnecting, just long enough to shut it off. Yours must have been an LG, Wichita...?

My LG has had an interesting life. About two months after I got it, I went out in the rain with it in my pocket. Got back and it still worked fine but for some reason I couldn't connect to the data network anymore, to send/receive pictures, etc. Later, I ended up dropping it in a bucket of water - twice - and after some erratic behavior while it was still a little wet, it came back to normal, but still without the data. A short while later, the bucket of water again, and the same thing. I still use that phone today, over a year later, and I have since moved that bucket of water from next to my desk.
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I have dropped my moble phone on several occasions. Once I dropped it on top of a flight of concrete stairs and it when bouncing on basically each step all the way down. I thought it was toast when I picked it up.

But I turned it on and it worked. No cracks or anything.

The one thing I do notice when I drop my phone. It turns off. Is there a function in the circuit that detects that it has impacted a hard surface and turns off?

I have a Motorola Razor and mine shut off too when I accidentally "drop" kicked it one time(fell out of my hand and in a panic I tried to grab it and kicked on accident when it met my foot lol). Anyways I hope I never drop my cell phone in any liquid......I'd basically it quits at that point lol. Although a handful of my friends did successfully dry them after taking them apart and no future damage occured.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
My daughters fell in the toilet and survived lol I would say chances are slim from the beating it took in a washing machine.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock