Started on: 01-14-2007 05:03 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: ryan.hess on 01-14-2007 10:03 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Think of all the people they could save from the ravages of water... People OD on water every day... All it does is destroy families.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

It was not immediately know how much water Strange consumed.

A preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death," said assistant Coroner Ed Smith.

John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, the station's owner, said station personnel were stunned when they heard of Strange's death.

"We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred," he said.

Initially, contestants were handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk."

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore," he added.

After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids."

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 01-14-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
i'll drink to that!
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
DON'T DO IT!!
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I had no idea that one could actually drink too much water. At least to the point of death.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Just say no to water!

Now Scotch, however...

All kidding aside, I wonder what it is that's toxic about water.
I suppose I could Google it, but I... don't want to.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Drink enough water, it dilutes the electrolytes in the blood and screws up your brain chemistry. Becasue the body can't get rid of the water fast enough, it can also cause swelling of the brain, which can also lead to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Strange way to die.
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
Got to have the salt man.
Guys on my crew in the summer always drink so much water they start to feel slow and even dizzy.
The brain needs salt and to much water with out food dilutes the blood.
She could have eaten some saltines and been OK.

Oh there is an actual name for this problem but I ain't smart enough to know what it is.
There is even special bottled water for runners and cyclists now that have stuff like salt in it.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

pokeyfiero

16189 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by Formula88:

Drink enough water, it dilutes the electrolytes in the blood and screws up your brain chemistry. Becasue the body can't get rid of the water fast enough, it can also cause swelling of the brain, which can also lead to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

And then there is the informed answer. LOL
I wrote my super informative know it all post before I saw this one.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
That's why Gatorade rocks.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Water: Enjoy in moderation.

Please drink responsiblyTM

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 01-14-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Think of all the people they could save from the ravages of water... People OD on water every day... All it does is destroy families.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

Can you say, Wii it's gonna be a "Lawsuit."

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post
This is sad.

Did she win?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroparts.com:

This is sad.

Did she win?

Hmm. Maybe the runner up did?

FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTDirect Link to This Post
Big time lawsuit on the way. A very irresponsible contest to organize. What a stupid way to go. People and the lack of common sense they can have at times amazes me.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the milk chugging competitions..... the difference is 1 gallon > your stomach, so vomitus eruptus is the result

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock