Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Anyone been to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone been to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico? by mtncrasher
Started on: 01-10-2007 06:18 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 02-06-2007 11:37 AM
mtncrasher

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtncrasherSend a Private Message to mtncrasherDirect Link to This Post
If you have been to Playa Del Carmen please let me know what you thought about the place and tips on stuff that would be a must see. I'm trying to make my parents first trip to Mexico a fun one!!!
G.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i've heard it's full of expatriates, very low crime and very foreigner-friendly.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I didn't spend much time in Playa del Carmen, but we did our souvenir shopping there one afternoon. Where we stayed in Akumal about 30 miles south was much more peaceful, quiet, and romantic. Contact these people and ask for Unit # 4 in Playa Caribe. That was our condo... it is owned by Fiero owner Steve Wyatt (unless they have sold it since we were there). This condo is the only one in Akumal with reverse-osmosis water fit for drinking. We are definitely going back! Sea turtles lay eggs on the Akumal beach at night. One night we saw dozens of newly hatched baby turtles trying to find their way to the water. Really cool. We flew into Cancun and took a taxi 60 miles south to Akumal. We'll rent a car next time so we can travel around easier for sightseeing & shopping.

A sampling of our pics:

firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
One of the stops for us on our cruise last year was Play del carma...We loved it. Great shoping...great beaches ...great food. We definitly want to go back and spend a week.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I literally breezed through Playa del Carmen a couple of years ago when our cruse stopped in Cozumel... but I have a friend who is letting me use his company's condo down there in a few weeks (leaving 1/31, coming back 2/5). I'll let you know what else I can share!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't have enjoyed it more.

We stayed at the Occidental Allegro Playacar, an all inclusive with it's own water purification plant, and it was a memorable and enjoyable stay.

If you take Sunquest, they have an on site tour advisor and a big list of neat stuff to do.

The crime rate is low, because the cops carry machine guns and mean business. You can walk any time of day and not worry.

One tip. Don't try to shop on the day the cruise ships are in. The prices go up.

Other than that, it is way kool

Arn
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
damn right they don't mess around..I have some video tape of this guys passed out drunk in the middle of the street at like 1 in the afternoon. A pickup truck with a cage in the back pulled up and 2 guys with machine guns jumped out the back. Grabed the guy and threw him face first in the truck and took off. My son thought it was the coolest thing he ever saw lol
trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post
stayed there for a while actually. make sure you visit xcaret inlet.. seriously nice place.
and if you got time the tulum mayan ruins are about 45 mins away and are pretty interesting.

have fun!

------------------

mtncrasher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtncrasherSend a Private Message to mtncrasherDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips so far! A place to stay is already booked just looking for fun things to do!
G.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well... I've been here in Playa for about 2 days now. 1st night & days were good - but I got terribly sick last night about 3am... my fever finally broke sometime after 12:30 this afternoon. I'm starting to feel better, but definitely am not going to be back to 100% for a bit longer. Looking forward to getting "back to vacationing" - probably tomorrow.

Oh yeah - it's hot-as-heck (high 80's low 90's during the day, mid-70's at night)... a bit much for me, but I adapted reasonably quickly... the wind off the water definitely helps! Beaches are great...
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
If you go on a bus excursion, they'll insist that you visit a small settlement and do a tour with 30 other people of the residents' homes. These are mud floor huts. I know they are trying to get the gringoes to appreciate the Mexican poor, but it is pretty exploitive.

The smaller van excursions cost a bit more but in my view they are worth it. No side trips to speak of, and generally good eats and bottled drinks.

If you go into the local restaurants DON'T drink the local draught beer. Stick to bottled. The local draught is made with local water. Caveat Emptor.

Koba, and Tulum, are must sees. Both the bus and van operators have contracts with vendors so they'll stop at tourist traps to let you "shop". Some are good but most are highway robbery.

You usually do better on the back streets of Playa del Carmen.

Oh, and take orders for hammocks. You can get a nice hammock for $18US. The type that sell for $100 back home.

Watch the silver. Ask your hotel facilities person about what shops are reliable.

If you go walking in town, you can generally get the hotel restaurant staff to fill your water bottle. That way you don't run risks if you get thirsty.

Other than that, it is a blast.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The crime rate is low, because the cops carry machine guns and mean business. You can walk any time of day and not worry.

Not Playa Del Carmen, but Cancun last May....Mall cops...check out the middle one....

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Seems these Mexicans have it wrong sneaking over the border. You guys should be sneaking over their border with places like that

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 02-04-2007).]

YellowRooster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowRoosterSend a Private Message to YellowRoosterDirect Link to This Post
Went for 7 days last year and it was awesome. If you want action this is a good spot. 5th avenue is great. We went up there every night. We stayed at the Gran porta Real. We actually liked it so much we are going back in March for 11 days. Same place. 5th avenue was just too much fun!
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Just got back last night... flight was delayed, so we didn't get out of the MSP airport until after 11pm. A 100-degree temperature swing is pretty hard on the system (it was nearly +90° when we left the Cancun airport, and was -12° when we arrived in Minneapolis)... but it is quite nice to be home!

Other than being so sick on Friday, it was a good time... a bit hot for my taste, but you (kind of) start to adapt! I got to smoke a Cohiba (Cuban Cigar) with my wife & brother... that was cool, mostly just for the novelty of it. I was really irritated to find a nearby motorcycle/scooter rental shop yesterday morning about 2 hours before we left... I had been hoping to spend some time on 2 wheels while I was down there. But all-in-all a pretty good trip - our Condo was literally on 5th... with a secluded entrance hidden between a few shops just north of Calle 12. Which speaking of... El Oasis Tacos - best shrimp tacos ever (located just north of 5th on Calle 12).

Oh yeah... on Sunday morning I saw the exact scene that firstfiero described (about the caged truckload of gun-toting guys pick up a passed out drunk about 1 block off the "main" street - 10th)... it was great! My Dad even asked one of the guards if his gun was an UZI... he replied that although similar - it was actually a Mexican-made weapon (HM-3 submachine gun).

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 02-06-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock