Started on: 01-09-2007 08:45 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: frontal lobe on 01-10-2007 05:21 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
As the topic says. I just reinstalled ASUS PC Probe II because my computer fans have been going full force for a while now, and I wanted to see what temperature everything was running at. After I installed the program and ran it, I started to hear this warning sound (like in the movies when a nuclear core is about to explode) and it shows the current motherboard temperature at 47 Celsius (around 115 F). What is considered a normal operating temperature for a motherboard, processor, etc. ? I'm not even doing anything process intensive right now. It's an ASUS P5LD2-VM if that makes a difference, don't think it should.

In the program setup it lists the Threshold at default values of 60 C for the processor and 45 C for the motherboard.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 01-09-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Falcon4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Methinks your sensors are jacked up... M/B temperature is usually just the case temperature, and if that's the case, you're way too hot.

With CPU temperature you can keep it in C so it doesn't confuse you (with regular, livable F temperatures). CPUs often run hot and you may be thinking "WOW, 150 degrees???!11" but it's really only 65 C (okay, that's kinda hot, but... okay, some P4s ran that hot). Case temperature you should keep on F, and that's still pretty warm.

Then again some M/B temp sensors actually monitor the north bridge chip temp, so that would be a normal temp for that. Easy way to check: feel the inside of the case. Is it that hot? No? Then don't sweat it.

But if the case is too hot, it'll make the CPU much hotter. My Cube blared its overheat alarm when the back exhaust fan failed, and dang, it was pretty hot. So... all the temps do work together.

[This message has been edited by Falcon4 (edited 01-09-2007).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I just ran a virus scan, and that brought the CPU temp up to 145 F, which set the alarm off for that....
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
That does seem a bit warm for an idle PC. My Athlon 64 usually idles around 40C CPU temp, and mobo temp is typically around 35C. Under stress, like running Prime 95, my CPU will get up to between 50-55 and the mobo temp might go up to about 40.

What CPU are you running?

I'd pull open the case and make sure none of the fans are clogged with dust or not running. The temps aren't high enough to worry about - you just want to find out why the mobo temp is higher than normal. I have my mobo temp alarm set for 60C, so you should be fine just upping the alarm setting.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Okay, that would be cause for concern. Have you checked how hot the inside of the computer is? Wouldn't be too hard to do... side off, hand in, voila, your answer shall be known
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Since motherboard and CPU temp sensors are usually completly wrong, the best thing to do is just put your hand to the heatsink. If it's too hot to keep it there for 5 seconds, it's pretty much too hot.
If your machine's been running hotter lately, you probably just need to clean the dust out of the CPU heatsink, video card cooler, etc. A can of compressed air or a fairly clean (Non wire!) brush will quickly solve that.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I just ran a virus scan, and that brought the CPU temp up to 145 F, which set the alarm off for that....

Ok, you definitely have a cooling problem. You're still safe from damaging your CPU as long as you shut down if the temp alarm goes off. Typical CPU thermal limits are around 70C, which is 158F, so you still have a little buffer, but that's hotter than it should get with proper cooling.

First thing is to check all the case fans and CPU fan/heatsink and make sure they're all clean of dust and make sure the CPU heatsink/fan is firmly attached to the CPU.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Jax184:

Since motherboard and CPU temp sensors are usually completly wrong, the best thing to do is just put your hand to the heatsink. If it's too hot to keep it there for 5 seconds, it's pretty much too hot.
If your machine's been running hotter lately, you probably just need to clean the dust out of the CPU heatsink, video card cooler, etc. A can of compressed air or a fairly clean (Non wire!) brush will quickly solve that.

Good advice. Also, don't use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust because it can cause static discharge that can damage the electronics.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I took the computer apart about a week ago and cleaned all the dust out of it. I took the heatsink and fan off the processor, and it was starting to get bad. That helped cooling quite a bit. I just shut the computer down for two hours and started it back up, and the temps were 105 F for the CPU and 93 F for the board just after startup. After ten minutes of just browsing the forum the board temp is up to 104 F and the processor is maintaining at 105, although the CPU fan speed is up to 3770 RPM when the computer started it was around 2800. The current room temperature according to a thermometer I have in here is 77 F. I'll see if I can borrow my little brother's camera and get some pics of the setup.

Also, should I have reaplied thermal compound to the heatsink after cleaning the dust off? The old compound looked like it had solidified and cracked.

The processor is an Intel Celeron D 331 Prescott, 2.66Ghz clock speed, 533Mhz FSB. I just looked up the price on Newegg and it's $45 now, I paid around $150 for it a year ago, now I feel sick...
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2007 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Should you have?? Of course!! It dries up from the heat and won't go back together when it's separated... DEFINITELY put some new stuff on ASAP!

Especially on a CPU like that. Don't use cheap white crap either... though cheap white crap would be better than what it has now. Be sure to clean off both surfaces to a mirror-like finish before applying the grease too... that is, if it's a mirror-like metal. If not, just clean it as best you can. Don't use chemicals or soap, just use alcohol if you use anything. Breathing on it usually does the trick too. =)
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvClick Here to Email fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
yeah, what falcon said. It is thermal paste. It actually allows the heat seek to do its job more efficiently. Thermal paste must be re applied whenever you remove a heat sink from a processor.

hey you believe it falcon someone who actually agrees with you. sorry man couldn't resist.
PFF
System Bot
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2007 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
It's only those that disagree that voice up. While I have a number of people that disagree, there's countless more that agree but have nothing more to add, hence they don't feel like wasting a reply on "me 2!".

But hey, thanks for agreeing. xD
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Definitely clean off any old thermal paste anytime you remove the heat sink. A lint free cloth and some Isopropyl alcohol works well for cleaning off the old compound. I recommend Arctic Silver or similar. You only need a thin coat, but without it the heatsink won't cool properly.

That still doesn't explain the high mobo temps, unless the probe for the mobo is near the CPU socket.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 01-10-2007).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Well then guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow I'm pretty sure the local computer place has it. Good thing I found out while I'm still home, it would probably be near impossible to get in Houghton. I took some pics of the computer, I'll try to post them tomorrow when my little brother shows me how to get the pics off it. It uses some weird tiny little USB port.

I'll try to figure out where the MB temp sensor is.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2007 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
You mean a regular ol' mini-USB port? Grab one of them cables too at the computer store while you're at it. Actually you ought to already have a media reader... didn't the camera put the pics on a SD card or something? Then you don't need the cable, just dump the card in the slot and voila, pics. Plugging the camera in would do the same thing
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I think the thermal compound did the trick I cleaned the old stuff off, applied the new, put it back together, and let it idle for 10 minutes, the motherboard and CPU never got above 105 F. During and after a virus scan, the CPU temp never got above 130 F, and teh MB temp was right around 110. Now the computer is sitting at these temps, nice and cool!

The CPU fan hasn't gotten over 3000 rpm's either. I added a new case fan to the back of the computer to help draw out some of the hot air, a vantec stealth 80mm with double ball bearings, it pulls out a lot of air and it's SUPER quiet! It cost twice the price at Newegg, but I'm very happy with it.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeClick Here to Email frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
I have some overclocked athlon cpu's I've run for prolonged times at 60-62 Centigrade. I usually have them running low to mid-40's. I've been using those processors for probably 3 years now. I can't even remember. 2500's, so clock speed is about 1.8mHz.

I would guess that running them hotter reduces the life span. I used to think, "so what, I'm going to be getting something different before I 'burn them out'." But now I don't know. I don't do anything that stresses the computers right now. So I could see using them for years yet.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock