Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Help!!Spilled some soup on my keyboard!! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Help!!Spilled some soup on my keyboard!! by fierofetish
Started on: 01-05-2007 06:15 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: fierofetish on 01-08-2007 02:45 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what can go wrong next..I dread to think. Spilled a very small amount of thin watery soup on the laptop keyboard...and now if I press some keys, two or three symbols appear..Oh He!!..have I ruined it? PLEASE say it can dry out and work again PLEASE!! I really can't take any more of this crap..
Nick
Edit..typing this on my desktop..which Microsh!t won't accept my key after I reinstalled Windows XP Home..you may soon be rid of me for good at this rate

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-05-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
My dad had that happen once on his work laptop. Not soup, but water or coffee...

Anyways, months afterwards, it was completely dry, but the "A" button didn't work. Before that you push 'T" and "Q" would come on the screen. It was unusable.

Douse it with distilled (ONLY) water, then stick it in a warm place. The oven is good if you can get it down to 50-60 C

Also note that when I say "it" I mean the keyboard. They are removable. The trick is finding out how. Don't stick your laptop in the oven.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
You can always take it apart and clean it. I took mine a part to see what it took to put LED lights under the keys and cleaned it. Its realy easy.

I do recomend going in a circular motion from the centre out when you put it back together.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ryan..but I guess I might as well stick the whole f==king think in the microwave.The keys come off individually..other than that I don't know. I wouldn't dare take it all apart. Maybe try the hairdryer on it..or just dump it.I've just about had it with everything...
Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Definitely do what ryan said. Take the keyboard off BEFORE it reaches the components inside... then douse it in water (distilled or otherwise purified) and let it dry. It doesn't really need to be heat dried... if you don't feel like taking that danger. But it'll come clean. If it gets inside, remove the battery and power cord (as you should do NOW anyway) and use a Q-tip to swab out the bits of crud you can reach...

Oh, and about the key? I can resolve that. =)

edit: Things snap apart. Look for either a panel that covers the keyboard's bracket, or screws on the bottom that are marked "K" or are in odd places that might be attached to a keyboard. From there it just unplugs.

[This message has been edited by Falcon4 (edited 01-05-2007).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
PLEASE DO!! HOW? And the keyboard..do I have to remove every individual key//I'll never get them back together in the right place
Nick
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
No, no, no! The keyboard on a laptop is just a panel that plugs in with a ribbon cable. You need to find the way to remove the whole panel. All laptops have an easy way to remove the keyboard (as I found at first from iBooks). Like I said above... =)

As for the serial, perhaps we should discuss this in PMs. It's a Genuine Advantage error you're getting, right? Or an activation problem?
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I've rebuilt a few lappy keyboards. Best thing to do is rip it apart completely. I always take a picture of the keyboard to make sure I get the keys back where they belong, they're all a little different. There are usually three or four clear films that you need to get to. The biggest problem with not cleaning it is that the salt in the soup (or the acid in soda) could eventually corrode away the contacts. Usually pull them apart and soak the films in soapy water then rinse them off real good, dry them as best I can and seperate the films with spacers to dry out completely for a couple of hours. No biggie, just a little work and it'll be good as new.
PS, PM me about the XP/license issue, I can probably help you out. Also, did you look into the power issue with the wireless mic setup? What'd you find out? I may still need it.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 01-05-2007).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I'm not brave enough to take it apart..I found 3 screws on the bottom with 'KBD' next to them..but I guess I have to take the whole top off..which means taking the screen off too..I think I would rather take it to a shop and get them to do it..maybe if I leave it upside down meanwhile, it won't go in any further..it was literally just a couple of drops..I think..
The probem with the key is, it asks me my address and name etc..and because the disc came with the secondhand PC, it is registered under another name...
Nick
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Take a picture!
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
No again! The screws will unfasten the keyboard... then it'll either fall out or just snap out. Then it'll snap back in. You've got to clean the crud out!

And as far as the serial thing goes, no, you don't have to "register with microsoft" when you go to activate it!!
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
OK..wish me luck!! Thanks to you all!! I can do most things, but computers fill me with dread!!
Nick
PS especially when they cost a lot to replace
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Don't exceed the physical limits of something (e.g. don't yank on plastic parts to remove them - there could be a hidden screw... and be gentle with ribbon cables) and you won't break a thing
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Have a little bit more faith in yourself. I was scared to death of ever attempting to take apart a laptop because I am the person who always ends up with extra pieces and screws and such.

Well after buying newer laptops, I decided to attempt taking apart the previous one and did so completely and looked it over, cleaned it out etc...and put it back together and everything worked.

So if I can do it...you can.

btw, just yesterday I had my laptop on my lap and reached for my coffee, was about to hold it over the laptop when it registered in my brain that it was a real bad idea. I put the coffee down, put the laptop down and then drank my coffee.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
I'd take it to a computer shop and let them work on it. (I have very little patience for taking complicated things apart.)

For this weekend, if you can get a USB keyboard, you can plug that into one of the laptop's usb ports. It'll work just fine.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:

I'd take it to a computer shop and let them work on it. (I have very little patience for taking complicated things apart.)

For this weekend, if you can get a USB keyboard, you can plug that into one of the laptop's usb ports. It'll work just fine.

Computer shop is something this guy probably doesn't have the money for... and I personally despise computer shops' highway robbery prices, so don't encourage him :P

Plus, letting it sit longer will just make things much, much worse. Best to attack the problem now before it gets worse.

As far as taking things apart goes, I was petrified when I first started taking apart my Fiero engine. I thought I'd never get it back together. A few drinks later and I was sloshed enough to quit caring. I got it all back together the next day and replaced the head gaskets about a month later, all in my own garage. =)
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
what laptop do you have? most have the keyboard that comes out all by it's self without having to removing anything else. make and model please.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
OK..managed to push the panel out..it is attached by a ribbon..there is no moisture underneath. It doesn't look like the panel comes to pieces, so do I have to take all the buttons off, and then soak it in distilled water, and then let it dry....and how does the ribbon connectore come apart?
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
It is a Samsung P28..I was carrying a dish of almost watery soup, and Zwerver heard something outside, and jumped up. Made me spill a bit on the table, and I guess a couple of drops went on the keyboard..some went near where the speakers are...could it have got in through there?
Nick
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
the ribbon connector usually has a "top section" that slides up. Then it releases it's grip on the plastic ribbon that slides out of it.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm..wonder if my home insurance will cover it..I have never claimed in my whole life..about time I got something back...Now, do I have to remove all the keys? There is a clear sheet stuck to the underneath of the panel, and the keys clip on from above..(obviously ) Or, if I can detach the ribbon from the laptop, shall I just soak it in distilled water, shake it, and then let it dry?
Thanks for your help, everybody..see what happens when you are 'nice'? The guy who gave me the tv? I gave him 300 euros for it..I couldn't take it for nothing..if I didn't have a conscience, I could have bought a nearly new computer, instead of messing about with this one!! Hahaha!!
Nick
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

I don't know what can go wrong next..I dread to think. Spilled a very small amount of thin watery soup on the laptop keyboard...

Was that alphabet soup? Sorry Nick I just couldn't resit.

When things go wrong,
don't follow them. Joe
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Flippin' heck!! Just checked on eBay..$55 plus $15 postage.Let's check for damaged parts one..
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Now that is VERY funny!!! Hahaha!! Thanks for the laugh Joe!! Hehehehe!!Yes!! I really AM laughing!!Honest!!

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Was that alphabet soup? Sorry Nick I just couldn't resit.

When things go wrong,
don't follow them. Joe

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I would remove everything you can to make it as close to a "bare board" as you can. The problem with it all together is it might trap some water in it.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Gotta get the ribbon apart...then..soak it in distilled, and then use compressed air to blow it all out!!
In for a penny...
Nick
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Now that is VERY funny!!! Hahaha!! Thanks for the laugh Joe!! Hehehehe!!Yes!! I really AM laughing!!Honest!!

I couldn't belive nobody else thought of it first.

Joe
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
In the case of the ribbon, pull straight away from the plug. On MOST (all I've seen) laptops there's nothing that securely holds it in place, so it'll slide right out, revealing how to disconnect it if need be. However if there's something covering the plug... that could spell trouble. Usually the plug is in plain sight as the ribbon unfolds. Get the plug, and the keyboard, apart, without breaking it.

As for the keyboard taking-apart... I don't think it's necessary to remove the keys if you don't feel comfortable doing so. The water will dry, and being placed in a warm environment (e.g. an oven on its lowest, lowest setting, like "keep warm") will ensure nothing remains in the cracks or key caps. Typical desktop keyboards are VERY, VERY easy to remove and replace the keys on (pop off, pop on) but the laptop keyboard design typically has all manner of lever and gizmo to make the keys operate smoothly. I personally don't suggest removing each key...

And as for a new computer?? Forget it! Don't buy a new computer... omg. Fix and upgrade the one you have - it's money much better spent. Unless the computer is in a broken mess, then that's the only time I ever consider buying a new one. Unless it's a desktop, then I just replace the broken part
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Tell us what model laptop you have and we can give you specific instructions.

i.e. IBM ThinkPad A31, Dell m500, etc. Also, check for labels on the bottom and see if there's anything that says "make" "model" or "machine type" and let us have that info, too.
I know on IBM laptops you just pull straight up on the plug for the ribbon cable to unplug it. But some do have a slide on the socket that holds it in. If it doesn't have a lock of some kind, it should pull off pretty easily.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Managed to get it all apart;took the keys off;took the clear stick sheet off the back, squirted it well with distilled water;blew it out quite gently with compressed air( dry !, put it back together..now even more don't work!! Hahaha!! Better order a new keyboard in the morning, if it still doesn't work. There was NO moisture under the keyboard...none at all. So, I will go to bed now, and see if anything is better in the morning Doesn't make sense that I can buy a USB keyboard for $10, and have to pay $55+shipping for one of these..ah well...thanks to everybody (didn't I post somewhere that I hoped I would never have to say that again here? )..
Nick
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Wow... really did it the hard way :P

The plastic thing works with three layers - one with one set of contacts, a separation layer with holes cut for the keys, and a second set of contacts. When the two meet, the button is "pressed". If you didn't clean between the layers (I can't believe you managed to get that apart though!), chances are there's still something left in there - probably water though. See if you can get those layers apart? On a desktop keyboard they just flop apart... but I'm surprised you managed to get the laptop one apart... usually those are solid in-there :P
PFF
System Bot
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
honestly if you have the rubber piece off that contacts the board then your best bet would be to just clean the pads with rubbing alcohol and a few q-tips... if you hit the bare board with compressed air you run the risk of esd (electro static discharge) which will just shock it and kill the board. i'll look in the morning to see what the proper steps are for your system. i'll post again in the morning. it's 11:22pm here in ny right now.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2007 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
ok i tried looking it up and even asked a friend if he had something but no dise... you have a weird system. best bet would be to try the q-tip trick to the pads and the board contact points... if that doesn't work then a new keyboard is what you need. sorry i couldn't help more.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nick, just send me the keyboard with the mic and I'll clean it for you. Did you get a photo of the key layout beofer yanking all the keys?
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Are you still online ? or did you kill your computer now ...Rob
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2007 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
ffffffff8l0pp\`htht3344[fd[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[fd[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[4l44l8ki[rlo[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]][[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[\\\\qqqqfffsfffrrlrl86ky4
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Welp, sounds like you fixed it. Good job.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2007 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
ffyhxxxfqruiirll\pp00l8ki6yu3\xx\
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Don't swear!
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2007 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post

ffffffff8l0pp\`htht3344[fd[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[fd[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[4l44l8ki[rlo[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]][[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[\\\\qqqqfffsfffrrlrl86ky4

I think this mean I want a (((((Hug)))) could be wrong lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock