Started on: 12-31-2006 12:32 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: 84fierotrevor on 01-02-2007 06:03 PM
84fierotrevor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
is it a gto with a weak motor?

my cusin has one he is selling. I was thinking of picking it up.

its a 2 speed automatic with a fully rebuilt motor with holley this hooker headers that cams with these specs and exhuast with those specs. and ect ect. modified. but needs to be painted a few other small things to be fully restored.

it doesnt seem very fast still. whats the deal are these good cars? crappy cars? worth having in the garage? easy fast motorswaps?

what is one worth in great condition? what is one with in needs some restoration condition. like lets say new paint and new leather intiror?

Here is some pics of it.

[This message has been edited by 84fierotrevor (edited 12-31-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
value restored is about a 1/4 of a GTO if a 2 door
4 door is about worthless to collectors
same car different, trim motor and trans
if a v8 it is a 326 is the same block as the 389-428
cranks swap and may bore out some tooo
but the good pontiac heads are hard to find
there are alloy heads but aftermarket not stock
if slow maybe the ohc 6
replace the two speed with a 350th or 400 three speed or hop it up
better yet get a stick for it
and add a desent rear with positrack
I wouldnot build a clone GTO out of it

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 12-31-2006).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
The good thing is, they're just about impossible to fail smog with, since the standards were nonexistent at that time. Comfortable cars, don't handle/brake very well in stock form, but safe enough if driven sanely. As far as making a clone out of it, that would be up to you, but remember if you do, and you sell it, you better make sure a buyer understands that what he's buying is a 40 year old lookalike. Lots of parts still available, millions of them sold as Olds Cutlass, Buick Wildcat, Chevy Chevelle, and of course, Pontiac GTO/LeMans.
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
its a 2 door v8. 398? or 389? it has porting also and the top end has been fully rebuilt with performance stuff.

i can have it for 2 grand runs good.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Hell yes, I would get it then drive the stink out of it. If I had my way I would sleep in a tent next to my 100 car garage just so I could own cars like that.
Post some pictures when you get it.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:

its a 2 door v8. 398? or 389? it has porting also and the top end has been fully rebuilt with performance stuff.

Should be a 400.

Yes the Lemans was the base for the GTO but back then the 400 was Pontiacs motor of choice.

My 67 Firebird had the 400/3 speed auto.

Now if you find one of those snap it up in a heart beat. Then call me, I will buy it sight unseen.

Original motor/numbers are all important to any car.

Once you start changing things and trying to make it something else it looses all real value and you end up with a peace of crap.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Should be a 400.

Yes the Lemans was the base for the GTO but back then the 400 was Pontiacs motor of choice.

No, in 1967 they continued to use the 389's in the GTO, Bonneville's, Executive's and Catalina's.
Some cars at the end of 1967 got the 400 as 1967 was the change-over year.
All the Tri-Power engines were 389's or 421's.
The Firebird being a new model got the 400. In 1968 when the GTO was redesigned it got the 400.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:

If it's a real 389 then you've got something different. Probably not stock. The 389 was used in the GTO and other Pontiacs from '64 thru '67. The original "LeMans" came with a optional 326 as stated previously. I have heard that real (original) 389s are getting hard to find. My brother-in-law blew up 2 of them when he had his '67 GTO back in '69. (Was also ticketed and lost his license for 125 in a 25mph zone.!!!! )

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 12-31-2006).]

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
When I was in high school, my dad's car was a 70 Lemans. I think it was a 350, with the old powerglide (2 speed) transmission. A truly beautiful car (especially for a 17 year old kid in 1970.) Built on the same platform as the Chevy Malibu, well executed fastback, a sport interior.

But, it was a SLUG , slow, no low end, mid range, or top end. And the transmission kept breaking--wouldn't shift correctly and got so it slipped. Pontiac fixed it under warranty, and when it got out of warranty kept fixing it. But they wouldn't spring for a THM conversion. Looked somewhat like this, but with standard tires, wheels, hubcaps. And in metallic brown. . .

Loved that car, but it sure needed a different trannie, a different cam and a 4 barrel carb. (or an engine transplant.)

If the car you're contemplating is a small V8 with the powerglide trans, expect a car that gets lousy mileage and offers weak performance.

Most any '60s car in nice condition is collectable now, tho.
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

As far as making a clone out of it, that would be up to you, but remember if you do, and you sell it, you better make sure a buyer understands that what he's buying is a 40 year old lookalike.

Clones, reproductions, tribute cars, whatever you call them are becoming a problem with muscle car collectors. More and more are showing up and are harder to spot as fakes. If you make a clone, like Vonov says be SURE not to try and pass it on as a real GTO. You would not want a collector coming after you in court

True muscle car or not I would grab it up for 2 grand if I were you

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 12-31-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
LeMans / GTO is similar to the difference between a Firebird and Trans Am. Same basic car with different trim, engine, and suspension.

For $2000, I'd snatch it up in a heart beat if it runs good. If it's a 389, the engine has been swapped at some time. I think the 326 was the best V8 you could get in a '67 LeMans. And with a 2-speed auto (which is not a Powerglide, BTW - it should be a Turbine 200), it's going to be slow.

My first car was a '69 Firebird 350, 2 barrel, and 2 speed auto. Very similar setup. First gear was good to 70 or 80 mph, but that also meant nothing off the line. A good cruiser, though. I swapped out the 2 speed for a TH350 - it's almost a direct bolt in.

In great condition it's worth a bit of money because GTOs are getting crazy expensive, so the LeMans are going up, too, but nowhere near as fast. What kind of mods have been done? Is it a 389 or the original 326?
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

LeMans / GTO is similar to the difference between a Firebird and Trans Am. Same basic car with different trim, engine, and suspension.

For $2000, I'd snatch it up in a heart beat if it runs good. If it's a 389, the engine has been swapped at some time. I think the 326 was the best V8 you could get in a '67 LeMans. And with a 2-speed auto (which is not a Powerglide, BTW - it should be a Turbine 200), it's going to be slow.

My first car was a '69 Firebird 350, 2 barrel, and 2 speed auto. Very similar setup. First gear was good to 70 or 80 mph, but that also meant nothing off the line. A good cruiser, though. I swapped out the 2 speed for a TH350 - it's almost a direct bolt in.

In great condition it's worth a bit of money because GTOs are getting crazy expensive, so the LeMans are going up, too, but nowhere near as fast. What kind of mods have been done? Is it a 389 or the original 326?

it has 389 badges on the side i think. or maybe they said 326 and he kept telling me 389, cause he kept saying over and over.

ill ask today. i will also score him pictures and post them to see what u guys think.

thanks for all the help.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
you could get all the GTO motors in the tempest/le mans cars in the late 60's
few did but if you specal ordered there were ram air motors to be had stock

there are some 455 70 plain looking le mans too and they are way rarer then the GTOs
and lighter and faster by a little

then there was the "T"s models in the early 70s kinda like the roadrunner
striped base car with the bad motors

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
BOP(Buick Olds Pontiac) bellhousing 3 speed automatic would wake it up, don't think a 4 speed auto was ever produced for that pattern. That would be sweet if you could update to a modern transmission with overdrive and a deep first. Find out what gearing it has, if he's got the engine all cammed out for high rpm and has low numerical gearing, it may need a higher stall convertor and higher numerical gears to make power.
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
bump! added pics up at the top in my orgional first post. tell me what you guys think.

also every peice of metal trim or headlights or any parts its missing he says he has. "which he does have a ton of parts in the trunk" as well as alot of new parts in boxes. like new headlights. and housing cover.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever figure out which engine it has in it?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If there's no structural damage, and no rust on it, and no rust in the trunk or floors, jump on it.
Seriously.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I don't particularly care for the post windows, but I'd still jump on it for $2000, even if it was a stock 326 2V.
Just check for rust and frame damage, etc. If that's ok, go for it.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks just like my buddy Chuck's drag car... but his has a fiberglass body. Same primer paintjob though. If he ever gets off his butt and finishes assembling the engine in his shop it'll be a killer, 400 cu that should put out about 600hp (flywheel), spent more on the aftermarket ported aluminum heads than I think he's got into the rest of the car.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
I'd be all over that for 2k. Have that sucker professionally repainted and reupholstered, and you can get 15K easy. I also would NOT leave it parked on the street, as the professional car thieves are starting to target/steal restorable vintage cars, because it's much easier to flip them, numbers wise, than current vehicles, and the original steel parts in good condition are almost literally worth their weight in gold to to a restoration parts house. It may not be a GTO, but most of those body panels (90%) could be used to restore a GTO that had a lot of cancer.
PFF
System Bot
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
I wish someone would offer me a deal like that...the only cars pre-1975 that you can find for sale around here have no motors or are beyond restorable...I'd hop on that deal if i were you
87GT_97114

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
Cool, I had a '66 Lemans with the sprint 6 OHC, split manifold, quadrajet, 4 spd, (all stock) the thing sounded like a Jag! In '71 it surprised more than one rustang driver!
Edit...Just be aware that they handled like a lumberwagon!
------------------

'87 GT, daily driver
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'84 F250 Xcab, BIG parts runner
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

[This message has been edited by 87GT_97114 (edited 01-01-2007).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2007 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
i am passing up the deal on this. i just don't like old cars. I have other goals right now. if anyone else is interested shoot me a pm and i will give u his contact info and more pictures.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock