Started on: 12-24-2006 10:11 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Vonov on 12-27-2006 09:28 AM
ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
i just got a Sandblaster and was basting with "play sand" and i was reading the back of the bag and it says not for sandblasting any idea why ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Warning from
Product Label: If sand is used for sandblasting, please see caution on PAKMIX sandblasting specification sheet. Warning, Inhalation Hazard: Avoid inhalation of dust from this product, which contains crystalline silica that causes lung disease and cancer. Use with mechanical ventilation or respiratory protection
(dust mask).

Causes all sorts of nasty things longterm.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
probably because it has pebbles in it?
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
The play sand I had was too fine and dusty to do much good in the sandblaster. Even with a good mask, my lungs were irritated and I would never want to go through that again. Wait until the contractor supply store opens Tuesday and get some 50 grit blasting sand. Your lungs will thank you for it.
Devotshka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DevotshkaSend a Private Message to DevotshkaDirect Link to This Post
I found the playsand tends to clump more too, maybe thats just a florida humidity thing though. Best bet for the buck, take yourself to harbor freight and they sell aluminum oxide for dirt cheap, works great in most applications. I think they have blast sand too, the other stuff seems to be better all around for me though
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2006 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Nobody likes cancer, and even if you don't get that, nobody likes silicosis
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2006 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
No matter what kind of sandblasting media you use, you need to use a respirator. Not just a dust mask, I have had my own blaster for years and found that just a dust mask will keep most of the crap out of your nostrils, but you will still end up with a lot of dust in your nostrils, and if you have it in your nostrils then it’s in your lungs to.

No matter what you use, WEAR A RESPERATOR..

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

Warning from
Product Label: If sand is used for sandblasting, please see caution on PAKMIX sandblasting specification sheet. Warning, Inhalation Hazard: Avoid inhalation of dust from this product, which contains crystalline silica that causes lung disease and cancer. Use with mechanical ventilation or respiratory protection
(dust mask).

Causes all sorts of nasty things longterm.

What Scott said, in addition to inconsistant(sp?) media size.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Give the sand back to your kids before you kill yourself.
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Wear a respirator no matter what you use as media. Eye and skin protection as well.
The learning curve is almost immediate anyway.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Even more dangerous than media or sand blasting, is fiberglass grinding or sanding. As said above, ALWAYS wear a respirator.

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 12-27-2006).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock