Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  TV people, need your help...Which is better (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
TV people, need your help...Which is better by Racingman24
Started on: 12-21-2006 02:01 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-06-2007 02:21 PM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
I be looking at a few different TV's for a pretty little Christmas present to myself. I've narrowed it down to a few, and these two have caught my eye.

I know a little when it comes to all this fun new stuff, but the little details evade me sometimes. So, I'm wondering which of these two things, both from Syntax, are better, or if they are essentially the same thing...

The LT42HVI:
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/otherModelspecs.jsp?pid=LT42HVi

And the 542i
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/specs.jsp?pid=542i

So can anyone explain to my slow thinkin self which of these is better, if either of them. My preferance is the LT45HVI, but I can get a 542i local for damn cheap.

Let me know, thanks guys!!!!!

Eric

EDIT::: Changed the links to go straight to Syntax's site.

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over"
88 base coupe: Busted again
Wait. . . Did I just say I can't wait to do more work on my Fiero?. . .what, am I retarded?

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 12-21-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
At least around here, you can find 42" LCDs as cheap as $700 for about the same specs. I really dont see all that much difference in picture quality when theyre all connected to the same source. A few have faster responce time (usually 8ms). Id just go for a recognizable name, number of different input sources like Component, A/V jackes, HDMI jacks, 'S' video cables. Features that you like using like zoom, channel memory, etc. I myself have a Panasonic and a JVC. For in store comparison, just make sure they all have the same source showing on screen, dont look at the prices, and see what 'just looks best'. Ive found that expensive dont necessarily make a better picture. Some places to look other than department stores are Micro Center (they have some great deals, some even cmptr ready inputs), or local TV/Appliance stores (we have H.H. Gregg TV & Appliance). A year ago paying $2000 was pretty commonplace. Now I wouldnt even consider one over around $1,000 for 42".
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
I don't think eather of those support 1080p. If it's high definition you want, it's 1080p you want.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
No, neither of those support 1080p, however, they are some of the few that go up to 1366x768, as opposed to most, which are only 1024.

And right now, I just want a new TV, I'm not about to pay the extra grand just for the 1080p designation. Anything right now will be an upgrade from what I have. When the 1080p's drop in price, I'll be all over them. Just not right now. Besides, I don't have the equipment to support 1080p, I'd have to go out and get a bunch of new crap, just so I could use the 1080p.

And I figgered something out that was cool on the site, you can compare them side to side.
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/compare.jsp?pidFrom=lt42hvi&pidTo=542i
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

No, neither of those support 1080p, however, they are some of the few that go up to 1366x768, as opposed to most, which are only 1024.

"Most" are only 1024? That's wierd... pretty much everything I've seen that's a widescreen with 720p/1080i support is 1366 x 768 (that's what makes it 720p compatible).

Anyway, I agree that the 1080p compatibility isn't really worth the price - at least until there are a slew of sources that actually produce a 1080p signal!

And right now, I just want a new TV, I'm not about to pay the extra grand just for the 1080p designation. Anything right now will be an upgrade from what I have. When the 1080p's drop in price, I'll be all over them. Just not right now. Besides, I don't have the equipment to support 1080p, I'd have to go out and get a bunch of new crap, just so I could use the 1080p.

And I figgered something out that was cool on the site, you can compare them side to side.
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/compare.jsp?pidFrom=lt42hvi&pidTo=542i

Funny how the listing uses varied labeling for that chart... but they're pretty much the exact same TV. As far as I can see, the only difference is that one shows it doesn't includes a Universal remote, and 25w speakers. The only REAL difference I see is that one has an extra component video input, whereas the other has 2 HDMI inputs. I'd go with the dual HDMI inputs myself (sure the cables are generally more expensive... but they're easier to deal with).

Are these things supposed to be different prices, or the same?

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Ok, so maybe I should have rephrased that. Most that are in my price range. So there.

Which is messed up, because they'll claim that they are 1080i/720p compatable, but they don't have enough pixels to do such things.

Hmmmm, just trying to figure out which one to get. Hopefully after Christmas there will be some good sales.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Doing a side by side compare of the two, the look almost identical. The 542i has a built in HDTV tuner and a universal remote. Other than a few different sets of connection options, that's about it.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Which is messed up, because they'll claim that they are 1080i/720p compatable, but they don't have enough pixels to do such things.

1080i is NOT the same as 1080p. Yes, a 1366x768 display can do 1080i. It's similar to interlaced video. To do 1080p, you have to have the 1080 lines of resolution.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Found me another comparason link

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 12-21-2006).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Found me another comparason link

LOL - that one seems to bring them even closer together (same stereo output, both have tuners, etc). I don't really see much of a reason (if any) to go with the 542i over the LT42 model... I'd say go with the cheaper that you can find. My only preference would still be to get the one with 2 HDMI ports... but even that isn't terribly important.

Originally posted by Formula88:

1080i is NOT the same as 1080p. Yes, a 1366x768 display can do 1080i. It's similar to interlaced video. To do 1080p, you have to have the 1080 lines of resolution.

BTW - I think he already demonstrated that he was aware of that... note his reference to not spending the additional money for a 1080p unit over a 720p/1080i unit...

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 12-21-2006).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

BTW - I think he already demonstrated that he was aware of that... note his reference to not spending the additional money for a 1080p unit over a 720p/1080i unit...

Yeah. But I wasn't sure after reading this:

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2006 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
My Westinghouse LVM-42w2 42-inch 1080p LCD Monitor's local price just dropped to $1,000 bucks around here.
But I'm happy with what I got for $1,399.
I've had a few HDTV owners look at it, and they agree that the HD picture is close to as good as it gets.
The only 2 things I'm a little sad about (both no big deal) is:

1. The remote is a little "glitchy", and needs to be pointed DIRECTLY at the screen.
2. Only 1 HDMI port. This MAY be a concern if you want to use a upconverting DVD Player. But it DOES have 2 DVI-D ports, so you can just use a DVI ~to~ HDMI adapter. No biggie.

Even then, I would still (and have) recommend this set.

* Remember, this is a monitor, with no built-in tuner. If you don't have cable or satellite, you WILL need the built-in tuner.
4-mulaGT
From: Somewhere beetween raisin' hell... and saving grace. oh... and MN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
there is currently absolutley nothing you can watch in 1080p in english (except for the PS3)

How much are the two TVs?

There is NO WAY the quality is good on an Lcd if its only $700 unless the store desperately needs it sold.

for true quality Lcd there are two brands: JVC and LG

almost all other HDTVs are using electronics from the two and making it "Cheaper" by reducing features. JVC and LG then have a head start and therefore have more refined pictures more features and JVC at least has PHENOMENAL sound from stock speakers.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I dont know the model number, but my local Odd Lots had Olevia, 42" LCD for $699 this past week. Pic looked fine to me. Not any worse or better than my Panasonic which is somewhat better than my 37 inch JVC. Micro Center a few weeks ago had Winbook 42" LCD for $799.

Anyplace that can sell a TV is stockpiled with them because this should be a huge year for flat tvs. Seems everyone I know has either bought one or looking. Id even go out on a limb and say that flat TVs are probably the biggest selling Christmas gift this year whether for someone else or yourself. Next week, youll prob be able to buy one anywhere for $50 over cost.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-21-2006).]

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Why do they weigh so much?

I thought an lcd of that size would come in more around 55-60 pounds. Is that not the case? Thanks in advance for the info.
4-mulaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
actually that is a very good point
my works 56 inch plasma panasonic weighs a hair under 80

our 46' JVC LCD weighs like 64

[This message has been edited by 4-mulaGT (edited 12-21-2006).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4-mulaGT:

There is NO WAY the quality is good on an Lcd if its only $700 unless the store desperately needs it sold.

LOL - you don't happen to work for an electronics company, do you? You definitely speak the language of the typical electronic -sales-guy-snob.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

Why do they weigh so much?

I thought an lcd of that size would come in more around 55-60 pounds. Is that not the case? Thanks in advance for the info.

These TV's, specifically the Syntax Olevia ones are very heavy. That is one of the few complaints about them. Reason being, they have extra thick protective glass in front of the LCD display. Makes it more durable, easy to clean, few other good things I guess.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

These TV's, specifically the Syntax Olevia ones are very heavy. That is one of the few complaints about them. Reason being, they have extra thick protective glass in front of the LCD display. Makes it more durable, easy to clean, few other good things I guess.

I never really thought about the weight much... I guess since my former TV was a 36" Trinitron CRT that weighed nearly 350lbs (no joke) - a 50" Flat TV weighing in a just over 100lbs didn't seem like a lot!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-22-2006 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

there is currently absolutley nothing you can watch in 1080p in english

Well, theres no need for a street legal car that goes 200MPH, buuuuut.................and then the disclamer:

(except for the PS3).

So more 1080p content could be just around the corner.

There is NO WAY the quality is good on an Lcd if its only $700

I would disagree, but then the disclamer.................

unless the store desperately needs it sold.

Or opporates in volume..................

I disagree.
The best picture, with the most features, (and by chance the most expensive) is the top-o-the-line Mitsubishi.
I've seen it for myself.
Standard signal, DVD, High Definition, and BluRay, ALL SOURCES PLAYED ON THE MITSUBISHI WERE ABSOLUTLY A CUT ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE.
But so was the price!
And I have looked at alot of different makes, models, & technologies.

The above is just some stuff I've learned and am learning.

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

I never really thought about the weight much... I guess since my former TV was a 36" Trinitron CRT that weighed nearly 350lbs (no joke) - a 50" Flat TV weighing in a just over 100lbs didn't seem like a lot!

I never used to, either. I would wrestle my old CRT televisions around the house like one of those celtic stone lifting competition guys.

Now that I'm 50, I know I could comfortably move a 60 pounder around with minimal grunting. I probably WOULD grunt just to let my wife know how hard I'm working to move that tv where she wants it, but I wouldn't have to. But if you are in the 95-105 range, I can still do it but it would definitely be a chore.

On the other hand, if it is a heavier, more protective glass as the cause, hard to argue with that.
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
In the off chance that you can actualy discern 1080p from 720p at more than 5', by the time programming comes around that you could actualy make use of the resolution, the same 1080p TV will cost half as much. Its just not a 1080p world yet. Most sales are fueled by the "me too" crowds, and the people that have more money than sense.

As far as a 42" LCD, I've heard the large display LCD's are laggy and blured. I dont know this for fact, but when I think back to older laptops, I know I couldnt stand to have that.

My next question is: What the heck is (Syntax) Oleva? is that kind of like a Daewoo in the car world? Id reccomend staying with a name brand. Check consumer reports and the electronics magazines for which brands they rate highest. I wouldnt go by that as fact, but try to stick with the brands that they like. I do notice the one does not list a contrast ratio, and the other is only 1600:1

While its open to debate, there are several, myself included that question the dubious "higher" resolution of 768 vs 720. When you think about it, thats just more conversion that needs to be done, and every time a signal passes through a converter, its slightly degraded. Im not saying 768 is a bad thing, just that extra 48 lines of resolution isnt something to break a deal over.

You dont really tell us your price range, so I dont know what to suggest, but I would reccomend you carefuly consider what you're looking for in a TV. Back when I first started getting into the newer tv's I wanted a plasma. Why? well because it was the "best" you could get and everyone was getting one. Once I actualy started learning about technologies, and the resolutions, and the advantages to what, I decided RP LCD was the way to go. Do you really need a TV you can hang on the wall? Think about the disadvantages, weight, power consumption, performance, cost of service.

Just trying to help a little.

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 12-22-2006).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

My Westinghouse LVM-42w2 42-inch 1080p LCD Monitor's local price just dropped to $1,000 bucks around here.
But I'm happy with what I got for $1,399.
I've had a few HDTV owners look at it, and they agree that the HD picture is close to as good as it gets.
The only 2 things I'm a little sad about (both no big deal) is:

1. The remote is a little "glitchy", and needs to be pointed DIRECTLY at the screen.
2. Only 1 HDMI port. This MAY be a concern if you want to use a upconverting DVD Player. But it DOES have 2 DVI-D ports, so you can just use a DVI ~to~ HDMI adapter. No biggie.

Even then, I would still (and have) recommend this set.

* Remember, this is a monitor, with no built-in tuner. If you don't have cable or satellite, you WILL need the built-in tuner.

this is what i'm planning on getting.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

As far as a 42" LCD, I've heard the large display LCD's are laggy and blured. I dont know this for fact, but when I think back to older laptops, I know I couldnt stand to have that.

As far as big screen TVs go, I've heard that 1080i and lower resolutions cause premature blindness, kidney stones, premature ejaculation and impotence. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm saying it anyway so you'll listen to my opinion and no pay any attention to any actual facts that may be presented.

I know when reality differs from my opinion, I can't stand to have that.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

there is currently absolutley nothing you can watch in 1080p in english (except for the PS3)

Barnes & Noble currently lists 177 Blu Ray titles and 160 HD-DVD titles.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

As far as big screen TVs go, I've heard that 1080i and lower resolutions cause premature blindness, kidney stones, premature ejaculation and impotence. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm saying it anyway so you'll listen to my opinion and no pay any attention to any actual facts that may be presented.

ROFLMAO!!! Sorry, but that was funny

Really though, I haven't seen any LCDs or Plasmas that felt were "fuzzy" in any way shape or form. The only time I feel this could be construed is when a Standard-Def (SD) signal is "upconverted" to a HD quality signal... it always has a "softer" feel to it, but it'd be hard not to since the resolution just isn't there.

As to whether or not I really needed a TV to hang on the wall... yup. New house. Smaller Spaces. It was the only way to "best" use the space available without overtaking the room with a TV. I'll snap & post some pics later.

BTW - I did get a Plasma. Bigger (50"). Better Value ($1800 at the time) for the Money (per my own choice). And Awesome quality (720p/1080i), clarity, and darker black balance (10,000:1). No complaints or regrets (even though they released the same unit with a built-in tuner 2 months later for the same money... I use a HD cable box anyway).

I don't believe in "convincing" everyone that they should buy exactly what I have - or even that what I have is the "best" for them... or anyone but me. I also don't like others to tell me that "they would've done.... instead". Great! Go for it... but when I decided to spend my money - I did a great amount of research and found the TV that I (and many others it turns out) felt was the "best bang for the buck" - and I'm happy with my purchase!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

I know when reality differs from my opinion, I can't stand to have that.

If you want to talk about facts, fact is, its a reported and well known problem. Fortunately, its getting to be an old issue, but cheaper sets are still using old technology and old stock (which is true in all things) so going with a lower brand might show issues. Anyone who used a laptop of the P1 and early 2 generations with passive displays knows what im taking about, practicaly watching the pointer draw a solid line as it moved accross the screen. Active TFT technology has greatly improved this, which is why you wont see the horrendous performance that you did with passive, and you will never see a LCD TV with such horrible PQ, but the core issues are still there. The additional concern being that there is no universal standard for measuring response times, the numbers are open to manipulation by the company.

A CRT or Plasma set requires in the measurement of nano-seconds to fire a image cell, as opposed to LCD (all LCD including RPTV) which is measured in milliseconds, also the way the image is produced, the signals used to fire the cells, are diffrent. I dont claim to know or remember off hand, but it involves the way power is applied to the cells.

Bottom line being, Ive never actualy watched an LCD set outside of a TV showroom, which is why I said "I dont know this for fact" but thats what I've read and heard, as well as the science is there to back up the theory.

Im not sure how saying "I dont know this for fact" implies that im relaying said information as a fact, but at least its better than a series of nonsensical ramblings.

God forbid I try to give the guy some relevant information to consider.

Bottom line, you can pay the same amount and get a really nice RPTV, or a bottom of the line LCD/Plasma, (again not knowing what range you are in) so I would keep that in mind. If you do go with a cheaper model, goto Cnet.com, and amazon.com, etc and check out the reviews and what people have said about it. Though I still reccomend staying with a name brand, there are gems to be found out there for a steal under unknown companies.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I'm bored, so I took the liberty of plugging them in for you. General thoughts are, good tv, good picture, but make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer. Other models from the manufacturer have not faired so well in official testing though

if you really want to know how it stacks up against whats out there
www.avsforum.com
Free to sign up, and while a lot of the users are nazi elitists when it comes to PQ, you should be able to get good information, as well as anything else you would ever want to know about the HDTV world.

Oh, and when getting this, use www.monoprice.com for cables, $10 for an HDMI which is just as good as a $160 Monster Cable. They can get you any cable for anything for cheap.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

If you want to talk about facts, fact is, its a reported and well known problem. Fortunately, its getting to be an old issue, but cheaper sets are still using old technology and old stock (which is true in all things) so going with a lower brand might show issues. Anyone who used a laptop of the P1 and early 2 generations with passive displays knows what im taking about, practicaly watching the pointer draw a solid line as it moved accross the screen. Active TFT technology has greatly improved this, which is why you wont see the horrendous performance that you did with passive, and you will never see a LCD TV with such horrible PQ, but the core issues are still there. The additional concern being that there is no universal standard for measuring response times, the numbers are open to manipulation by the company.

All of which has nothing to do with current 1080p televisions, because they are fairly new to the market. There's no such thing as "old technology" and "old stock" of 1080p televisions.

I doubt many people will go into Best Buy and ask to see what they have available from 1998. Speaking as someone who knows, because I own a "bargain" 1080p television, there isn't any ghosting or blurring problems like passive LCDs had back in the day.

CRTs used to put out relatively high doses of X-Ray radiation, too. (back in the 50's-60's era tech) But I wouldn't use that as a caveat on buying a new CRT monitor.

But that is excellent advice about the www.avsforum.com. Yes, they are concerned with picture quality. To me, that's the most important quality of a TV. If that makes me a nazi, oh well.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 12-22-2006).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

BTW - I did get a Plasma. Bigger (50"). Better Value ($1800 at the time) for the Money (per my own choice). And Awesome quality (720p/1080i), clarity, and darker black balance (10,000:1). No complaints or regrets (even though they released the same unit with a built-in tuner 2 months later for the same money... I use a HD cable box anyway).

Nice! I want to see pics! If I'd seen a 50" plasma for $1800, I might have gone with that instead of my Westy. I, too, wanted to get a flat panel that can hang on the wall for space reasons. It's just the best way to use the space I have. I was specifically looking for a 1080p display, especially since many plasmas don't even do 720p except for the big and expensive ones. A 720p 50" plasma for $1800 sounds like a real bargain!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

All of which has nothing to do with current 1080p televisions, because they are fairly new to the market. There's no such thing as "old technology" and "old stock" of 1080p televisions.

I doubt many people will go into Best Buy and ask to see what they have available from 1998. Speaking as someone who knows, because I own a "bargain" 1080p television, there isn't any ghosting or blurring problems like passive LCDs had back in the day.

CRTs used to put out relatively high doses of X-Ray radiation, too. (back in the 50's-60's era tech) But I wouldn't use that as a caveat on buying a new CRT monitor.

All of which has next to nothing to do with this thread, what im trying to do is help this guy. He's not buying a top of the line 1080p LCD, he's buying a bargain basement model, which may use old technology, and may use old stock. Thats what the thread is about, not you, not 1080p, about what this guy is looking at.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

All of which has next to nothing to do with this thread, what im trying to do is help this guy. He's not buying a top of the line 1080p LCD, he's buying a bargain basement model, which may use old technology, and may use old stock. Thats what the thread is about, not you, not 1080p, about what this guy is looking at.

And not about what you've *heard* might be true about old TVs, or when you think 1080p programming will be available or what TVs will cost in the future. It's not about you deciding RP LCD was the way to go.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

And not about what you've *heard* might be true about old TVs, or when you think 1080p programming will be available or what TVs will cost in the future. It's not about you deciding RP LCD was the way to go.

What WAS true about LCD's and still IS (in reference to response time): Relevant because thats what he's looking at, LCD, how could that not be relevant?

When 1080p will (or wont) be available: Relevant because there has been discussion about him not being able to watch said near non-existant format.

It is an accepted fact, what is high priced now, will not be in the future, if he shells out $4000 for a 1080p unit, but never uses it until 2008, do you really think the unit will cost $4000 in a year? Do you think the same unit will have all the features as the 2008 models? This is relevant, because I wouldnt go buy a hydrogen car now, when the technology is in its infancy, and wait 2 years before I could ever fuel up with it. If they guy is trying to save money on the TV, do you think he's going to shell out better than $800 for a BR-DVD? No. Think about him, not what you have, not what you think.

I mentioned once, nonchallantly, that I had gone with RPLCD, didnt say he had to, I used it in refrence to suggest that he consider the other formats and truely evaluate his decision. You might note, I have been pointing out the disadvantages of LCD the whole time... Granted, they are less in the RP due to tech diffrences, but I have not been promoting one mode over another. I dont need to ask what format TV you have.

I think you just need to stop trolling and try to be helpful to the conversation, or go start your own thread about this where you can sit and argue with yourself.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

When 1080p will (or wont) be available: Relevant because there has been discussion about him not being able to watch said near non-existant format.

You missed the post where I said Barnes & Noble currently lists 177 Blu Ray titles and 160 HD-DVD titles, I take it.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Nice! I want to see pics! If I'd seen a 50" plasma for $1800, I might have gone with that instead of my Westy. I, too, wanted to get a flat panel that can hang on the wall for space reasons. It's just the best way to use the space I have. I was specifically looking for a 1080p display, especially since many plasmas don't even do 720p except for the big and expensive ones. A 720p 50" plasma for $1800 sounds like a real bargain!

They're actually down below $1700 (with the tuner) at Sam's Club right now. Here are the details from the manufacturer: Vizio P50HDTV ...did I mention that I love this thing?

So I didn't take the time to clean up or anything (I actually cropped out the Kitchen/Dining room space behind and to the left). The wall unit is semi-custom made from Ikea elements... they have been modified to fit the space as-needed. The challenge was using this 12' wall to replace what we had in 2 rooms of our old house: the entertainment center & office spaces. It's probably hard to see in the pic, but the section to the left is your standard TV/DVD entertainment stuff (don't yet have the surround sound connected - just moved in the end of August), and the right section is the computer/office space (the PC is hidden below & to the right of the LCD monitor, behind the board in the pic... Lot's of stuff crammed into this 12' of space - thank goodness for 9' ceilings!

...still need to hide a few more wires & sort things out - it's been a long process!

BTW - I love Discovery HD... beautiful to watch!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 12-22-2006).]

4-mulaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

So more 1080p content could be just around the corner.
absolutely I said now

Or opporates in volume..................

I disagree.
The best picture, with the most features, (and by chance the most expensive) is the top-o-the-line Mitsubishi.
I've seen it for myself.
Standard signal, DVD, High Definition, and BluRay, ALL SOURCES PLAYED ON THE MITSUBISHI WERE ABSOLUTLY A CUT ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE.
But so was the price!
And I have looked at alot of different makes, models, & technologies.

The above is just some stuff I've learned and am learning.

excuse me,
I was just referring to TVs he could probably afford theres always brands that are exceptionally better yet exceptionally more expensive. ex: Ferraris ect.

LOL - you don't happen to work for an electronics company, do you? You definitely speak the language of the typical electronic -sales-guy-snob.

Barnes & Noble currently lists 177 Blu Ray titles and 160 HD-DVD titles.

I am officially not listening to my co-workers anymore.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

...still need to hide a few more wires & sort things out - it's been a long process!

If you look on his couch you can actually see a Cat nestled on the white cover up thingy Im sure the cat wants to see mice on that TV.... LOL!!

As for the wiring, ask Fastfieros, he can hide wiring like nobodys business.

S. Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2006 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

If you look on his couch you can actually see a Cat nestled on the white cover up thingy Im sure the cat wants to see mice on that TV.... LOL!!

I was playing a funny cat movie on the plasma the other day - and he freaked! Fluffed tail and aggressive/defensive stance and everything. He was pretty wired until I held him up to the TV so he could touch it and see that the cat wasn't real. Now he just sits directly in front & below the TV and watches whatever is going on (especially if it has animals on it).
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
It'sa ordered.
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
I just brought home the Olevia 323 23" to use as a combo pc screen and tv for the kitchen, think we're going to be reALLY happy with it, $400 at Compusa At www.circuitcity.com they post customer reviews of everything which are very helpful to read. Getting a HD Dish rreceiver installed on Saturady, one of 3, incl a HD DVR, and of course SDTV for the garage. Can't wait! I tried a DVD and it had a pretty impressive pic just being fed through the VGA cable.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock