Fixing trip odometer on 99 Sunfire by burdell1
Started on: 12-20-2006 09:00 AM
Replies: 1
Last post by: FieroGT42 on 12-21-2006 02:41 AM
burdell1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for burdell1Send a Private Message to burdell1Direct Link to This Post
I am having problems with the trip odometer on my 1999 Pontiac Sunfire. It is a digital odometer and when I press the button to switch it to trip odometer mode, it doesn't do anything. Once in awhile it will work and also when it is really cold it will work.... has anyone else had this problem? would it be safe to clean the 'button' with alcohol?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I'd get some electrical contact cleaner in there (works better and may be safer for your car than alcohol). It depends on hard it is to take apart and whether you can easily get at the contacts. I have a 98 Cavalier (should be identical to a '99), and mine seems fine. Try the J-Body.org forums, but just so you know it will be harder to get real help out of them so keep trying.

Use the search there, try to find a thread about dash removal or gauge removal. If that fails, look for guage swaps and one of the writeups should include the removal process. You should be able to find a swap thread because a lot of them (and me too) want to add the guages that include a tach.

If all else totally fails, get some contact cleaner or alcohol in there by any means necessary

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 12-21-2006).]

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock