Started on: 12-18-2006 12:01 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: isthiswhereiputausername? on 12-19-2006 11:21 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The rescue team found one of the three climbers on MT. Hood. They're not sure if it's one of the three climbers.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_on_re_us/missing_climbers

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Sad that one of the climbers died.

Mountain climbing....a risky hobby.

Mountain climbing in the winter... a stupid hobby.

If anyone does survive, how soon will they be on national TV telling all of their harrowing experience..a made for TV movie.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:
Mountain climbing in the winter... a stupid hobby.

It would seem so. Yet, I wonder how many climbs go off without a hitch. Man does thrive by pushing the limits. Which he does at anything he tries. Still though, I agree with you. Who is paying for this rescue? Here, you have to pay for your own rescue if you take risks and have to be rescued from your car when trapped by high water from rains.

Originally posted by Old Lar:
If anyone does survive, how soon will they be on national TV telling all of their harrowing experience..a made for TV movie.

One is not allowed to prosper from crimes. It should not be allowed for one to prosper from stupidity. At least when public money allows them to live to tell the tale.

sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i was thinking about that today watching the coverage. they had some of the Air Force chinooks flying around. how much does that cost in fuel? who pays those search and rescue guys? who covers all the OT for police, sheriffs and state police? if you have a budget of 100 hrs of OT per yr and suddenly it goes to 300 hrs how do they recoop?

not that i don't think we should be looking for them and i do feel sorry for their families. i just think there is a big difference between that guy who got lost a couple weeks ago and tried to walk out and three guys that decided to climb a mountain.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
There was another MT. Hood climber in 1975 who likewise was stranded under the same conditions (month, weather experience). I think he was up there 13 days? Anyway, the only difference was he lived to tell us what happened.

As for the cost? It's gotta be reaching 1/2 million?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

There was another MT. Hood climber in 1975 who likewise was stranded under the same conditions (month, weather experience). I think he was up there 13 days? Anyway, the only difference was he lived to tell us what happened.

As for the cost? It's gotta be reaching 1/2 million?

Much more than that.

I would have to agree with sostock on this one. Too bad for the families, but are we going to pay millions for every search and rescue mission that some hard headed adventorus gets stuck in?

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
According to the TV he was married and had 4 kids..

last thing I would be doing is leaving my family on a dangerous sport like that.. Sports like that should be given up once you get some dependants.

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
well speaketh of the devil and he shall appear.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20061218-104907-8660r.htm
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Simply amazing. I hope I never ever see any one of you people posting a thread requesting help with something. Tis the season.
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

Simply amazing. I hope I never ever see any one of you people posting a thread requesting help with something. Tis the season.

what? i didn't say that we shouldn't be looking for them. i just think that when you perform risky behavior you shouldn't expect others to foot the bill. i thought maybe they had some kind of permit that they had to buy to climb the mountain. kinda like insurance. maybe pay a fee hoping it never has to be used.

and i've probably posted more asking for help of some sort than anyone here. but it doesn't cost anybody. just a few moments of their time and knowledge.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

what? i didn't say that we shouldn't be looking for them. i just think that when you perform risky behavior you shouldn't expect others to foot the bill. i thought maybe they had some kind of permit that they had to buy to climb the mountain. kinda like insurance. maybe pay a fee hoping it never has to be used.

I agree, should be a rescue insurance fund they need to pay into..
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

5398 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

Not saying we shouldnt be looking for them, but trolling minds will read between the lines to pull something out that they can start a troll post about... What we are saying is that there should be something in place for these risktakers that dont cause everyones insurance to climb yearly for things like this..

[This message has been edited by isthiswhereiputausername? (edited 12-19-2006).]

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
theres a man dead and probably more, and we're quibbling about how much and who pays.
ok, climbing mountains in winter is probably stupid. so are motorcycles, fast cars and and atvs. when the paramedic arrives to pry you out of the wreckage, i hope they dont ask for proof of "dangerous hobby insurance".

check your value systems, guys.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

theres a man dead and probably more, and we're quibbling about how much and who pays.
ok, climbing mountains in winter is probably stupid. so are motorcycles, fast cars and and atvs. when the paramedic arrives to pry you out of the wreckage, i hope they dont ask for proof of "dangerous hobby insurance".

check your value systems, guys.

We're getting local news coverage of the S-R effort up in Oregon because the Nevada Air National Guard is participating. All the climbers are presumed to have died--the news says that it's thought that they fell down a crevass or over a cliff.

I don't think anyone begrudges the effort to find these missing people. A lot of us, tho, realize how much danger the rescuers are exposed to and would hope that these mountain adventurers would have survived if only so someone could punch them in the nose. The local sheriff from Hood River was emotional to the point of tears last night--his frustration with not being able to successfully bring the climbers down alive was very moving.

Having lived in the Pacific Northwest for a lot of my life, I can tell you that big, wet, windy winter storms in December aren't at all unusual--going climbing on Rainier, Baker, Hood, etc. in December isn't adventurous or daring--it's crazy and irresponsible. Nothing has been said on the news, but I think there's a permit process and I'd be surprised if these guys were on the mountain legally.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:

I can tell you that big, wet, windy winter storms in December aren't at all unusual--going climbing on Rainier, Baker, Hood, etc. in December isn't adventurous or daring--it's crazy and irresponsible.

I agree... VERY irresponsible... Nothing like making it a good Christmas for their familys.. My heart go out to their families, but it seemed they lacked common sense or was on a "im 10ft tall and bulletproof and no mountain will prove me wrong" attititude.. When a father of 4 should have been out finishing off his christmas shopping, he instead went on a suicide trip without thinking ahead..

I am all for getting them down and recovery.. too late for a rescue.. but the way the weather is so flaky there.. it was pure stupidity going up there.. and I hope no one else looses their lives during the recovery.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock